Become a Patron!

Looking for good 18650

S13hitman

Member For 1 Year
Using the vandy vape BF mech mod. The batteries I'm using are from ebay so I better just order new ones. I didn't know any better when just using my old batteries but got lucky.

I have the samsung 30Q 3000mah and are 20 amp. Pink color. I've read that I can use these but can't find what is best. Any recommendations?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Samsung 20S are the best 18650 for Mech's, they've replaced my VTC5a's.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

S13hitman

Member For 1 Year
I just read a post to stay away from buying the VTC5a as they aren't produced anymore and your likely buying a fake. Not that you can't find them but more than likely are not legit.

I appriciate the tips, I'll check those 2 different types out!

S13hitman

Member For 1 Year
So which amp rating do I go for? The link above is for 30amp and then you mention they have 20's as well. Which would be best for me? I'm a flavor chaser using the Profile RDA and will probably just use fused Clapton builds after this mesh gets nasty.

Btw- starting to really enjoy my squonker but realize why people don't use them as their main vape. I'm trying to fix my X-priv at the moment from the 510 connection just spinning in place. I let it cure overnight and it seems to be alright now, used epoxy. I'm curious if people here would like a write-up on disassembling the X-priv and restoring it? I know this isn't the right sub-forum for the write-up.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The link above is for 30amp and then you mention they have 20's as well.

The 20's he is referring to are the Samsung 20S batteries which are also rated at 30amps. The Samsung 20S batteries are the 'hardest hitting' but are only 2000mAh.

The Sony VTC5A are rated slightly lower at 25amps but have slightly more run time at 2500mAh.

It really depends on your build/personal preference, but really you should be fine with either of those batteries. Both are highly recommended.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Btw- starting to really enjoy my squonker but realize why people don't use them as their main vape.

Lots of us use them as our main vape. I only have one tank I use and it's a couple of times a week. I like to drip at night (that doesn't sound right) but all day and every day it's just squonk mods for me.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys are great, I'm leaning towards the vtc5a's then and really appreciate the direct link for a legit vendor.
What Obijuan77 SAID

I have both the Sony vtc5a,s and the Samsung 20s,s. Either one of those will do what you want very well, but imo, for what it's worth, you'd probably be best off giving up bit of the punch of the 20s for more capacity with the vtc5a.

Also, MOOCH is a guy that EVERYbody who uses external batteries should get familiar with. He is a true towering expert on battery technology having worked professionally in that industry for 20 years.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... VTC5a ... aren't produced anymore ...
That would be very surprising. Especially if Mooch hasn't reported it. You can still get good vtc4,s and 5,s (which are different than the 5a). Do you have that link? Lots and lots of bad info out there.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So which amp rating do I go for? The link above is for 30amp and then you mention they have 20's as well. Which would be best for me? I'm a flavor chaser using the Profile RDA and will probably just use fused Clapton builds after this mesh gets nasty.

Btw- starting to really enjoy my squonker but realize why people don't use them as their main vape. I'm trying to fix my X-priv at the moment from the 510 connection just spinning in place. I let it cure overnight and it seems to be alright now, used epoxy. I'm curious if people here would like a write-up on disassembling the X-priv and restoring it? I know this isn't the right sub-forum for the write-up.
I look at it really simple:
  1. Find the 3 or 4 most powerful (amps) batteries in your size. (I'm picky, so never less than 20amp)
    1. Order & Winnow by price/availability.
  2. Find the top 2 longest-running (mAH). (I prefer 2500, but 2000maH is OK)
    1. Order and winnow those prices/availability.
  3. If you don't have experience w/ either of them, order one set of each.
  4. Always order in pairs
  5. Always include battery-cases, (unless you have spares - spares are GOOD and they can hold driptips, etc).
  6. I always PLAN for 1 year of use, but 1/2 my 25r's are happily into their 2nd year.
  7. On receipt, I code them with a # and letter, (ie "4 A" and "4 B" - the 25'rs are 'R' prefixed). Scotchtape over the ink.
  8. Now, pop them in the charger. ALWAYS charge them before use.
  9. I also label the battery-cases UP in one slot and DN in the other - this simplifies rotation, as will ALWAYS removing them in the same order to the same charger slots - in order. Contrawise, removing from charger to case the same way in every time.
This is how I ended up with like 6 pairs of 25R's and I've only 2 sets of 5a's, but would love another set: My Vt133's are happy, the DS-style is happy. All good. This satisfies all my single-coil uses, as well as my very rare dual-coil - I'm good for a good day or 2 at about .13-.2Ω in parallel or regulated around 30w; similarly, good for around 1.2Ω in a series mech.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Sony VTC5A are rated slightly lower at 25amps but have slightly more run time at 2500mAh.
That depends. Due to the fact the Samsung 20S initially hits so much harder, it starts at a much higher voltage so, if you build to low ohms, the Sony VTC5A don't have more run time because then it won't catch up before the race is already over as you can see in the below illustration that I made a while ago; the three little up-arrow symbols mark the area where the VTC5A are catching up with the 20S (at 10 amps, at 20 amps, and at 30 amps).

Samsung 20S vs VTC5A.jpg

S13hitman

Member For 1 Year
That would be very surprising. Especially if Mooch hasn't reported it. You can still get good vtc4,s and 5,s (which are different than the 5a). Do you have that link? Lots and lots of bad info out there.

I was wrong about the VTC5a not being produced anymore but the thread still says to stay away. It's the VTC4 they stopped producing. I'll be using the vendor to order the VTC5a's but here is the thread: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/buyer-beware-sony-vtc4-and-vtc5-w-status-updates.62242/

The info you guys are providing is awesome and extremely helpful. I watched a ton a videos on ohms law and making sure I understand my mech and battery safety. I put a fused clapton in my RDA last night with the mech, in place of the mesh and love the taste. And no, I didn't build it on my mech but threw it on there after it was wicked up and ready.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You won't go wrong with vtc5a's.

EDIT - ,forgot to put the "a" after the five.

You want the vtc5a. Not the plain vtc5.

Last edited:

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Using the vandy vape BF mech mod. The batteries I'm using are from ebay so I better just order new ones. I didn't know any better when just using my old batteries but got lucky.

I have the samsung 30Q 3000mah and are 20 amp. Pink color. I've read that I can use these but can't find what is best. Any recommendations?
Isn't that a 20700 battery mod? I have 2 and the 18650 adaptor is okay but...

VU Sponsors