Become a Patron!

Looking for a sub for TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Trying to stay from the bad stuff. I have TFA French Vanilla, TFA Whipped Cream, TFA Vanilla Swirl, all the FA creams and vanillas. Is there a combo that can come close to TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream?

I used French Vanilla in a recipe as a sub for TFA Bavarian Cream. I have never tried TFA Bavaria Cream but I could definitely taste the French Vanilla. It was good after a steep. I am thinking French Vanilla may be a little stronger than Bavarian Cream if used at the same levels. I really don't know but that is my guess.

Thanks for the help.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have never tried TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for the same reason you mention. I have tried Vanilla Bean Gelato and it is pretty good and also Capella's new Vanilla bean Ice cream which is tasty in the one recipe I tried it in. I am interested in finding out how these compare to the original TFA VBIC and if we are both missing out.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't like the Vanilla Bean Gelato so I ordered the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream awhile back.
Like it much better, and the TFA French Vanilla Deluxe is good too, although they both got baddies.
Just got CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recently and seems comparable to TFA flavor wise, (needs more testing tho).
Don't know if it's clean or not, but, I don't pay to much attention anymore as I'm just after good flavors.

Edit: Tried CAP Bavarian Cream also and I think I like it better than TFA...

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Bavarian Cream doesn't have any Diacetyl or A/P in it.

I haven't had a chance to compare the CAP BC to the TFA version yet but the fact that you may even like it better is reassuring. Not sure I want the Cap version to be better for me though, just bought 4oz of TFA ;)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I may try the Cap version but I don't really care for Cap. I have there VC V2 and can only take it in small doses. I have their NY cheesecake but have not really used it. Their vanilla cupcake does nothing for me.

I have been using TFA vanilla swirl for many subs I don't have. I just wanted something closer to what the recipes should taste like.

One more bottle is nothing. I will try the Cap vanilla bean ice cream on my next order.

Thanks to everyone.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I may try the Cap version but I don't really care for Cap. I have there VC V2 and can only take it in small doses. I have their NY cheesecake but have not really used it. Their vanilla cupcake does nothing for me.

I have been using TFA vanilla swirl for many subs I don't have. I just wanted something closer to what the recipes should taste like.

One more bottle is nothing. I will try the Cap vanilla bean ice cream on my next order.

Thanks to everyone.

The CAP Vanilla Cupcake is kinda mild stand alone as I had to go up to 10% to taste it, but it's still kinda meh!, nothing bad tho.
Don't like the VC-V2 and much prefer the V1.
NY Cheesecake is good but I like to use lower amounts (1-2%) added to fruits mostly.
(I used to use 10 drops in 10ml to "fix" some of my crappy recipes when first starting out with DIY, just to make them vapeable).
(Also worked on some of the pre-mixed vendor stuff too).

My TFA Vanilla Swirl still gets a lot of use, one of the better ones IMO.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NY Cheesecake is good but I like to use lower amounts (1-2%) added to fruits mostly.
(I used to use 10 drops in 10ml to "fix" some of my crappy recipes when first starting out with DIY, just to make them vapeable).
(Also worked on some of the pre-mixed vendor stuff too).

My TFA Vanilla Swirl still gets a lot of use, one of the better ones IMO.
I really like tfa cheesecake graham and thought maybe a combo of that NY cheesecake may be good. I was going to work on it but have not got around to it. I think a little tfa vanilla swirl added to that could be a start for a creamy type cheesecake.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is just an opinion but to me anything with a cream in it does well with some steeping, I mean like Custards and Cheesecake and if you do a Creamy mix. The reason I did not like either the NY Cheesecake or the TFA Cheesecake graham crust is because of the AP = acetyl pyrazine UGH. YMMV;) Sad silly super taster here. :(

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is just an opinion but to me anything with a cream in it does well with some steeping, I mean like Custards and Cheesecake and if you do a Creamy mix. The reason I did not like either the NY Cheesecake or the TFA Cheesecake graham crust is because of the AP = acetyl pyrazine UGH. YMMV;) Sad silly super taster here. :(

It is my understanding that the 2 cheesecakes you mentioned have been reformulated and the AP has been removed. They are no longer listed as having bad ingredients at BCV as well.

I agree, cream mixes usually need more steep time especially if there are multiple ingredients.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I really like tfa cheesecake graham and thought maybe a combo of that NY cheesecake may be good. I was going to work on it but have not got around to it. I think a little tfa vanilla swirl added to that could be a start for a creamy type cheesecake.

Yup, the TFA Cheesecake Graham is another good one and gets much use also.
Never thought of mixing the 2 together, might be pretty good.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It is my understanding that the 2 cheesecakes you mentioned have been reformulated and the AP has been removed. They are no longer listed as having bad ingredients at BCV as well.

I agree, cream mixes usually need more steep time especially if there are multiple ingredients.

I think the AP @Dixie1954 mentioned is the other TFA AP (5% dilution), not the bad stuff...
Or maybe that's bad stuff too IDK.
Hope they didn't change the flavor as I don't like most of the v2 stuff.
Least I've got more of the old type.
Steeping does help a bit with these too, but not as extreme as custard types.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Fortunately I can take up to 0.75% AP before it hollers "Fritos"...
But I doubt I'll be adding any to these flavors:D.

Do you have trouble with FA Cookie also?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, the TFA Cheesecake Graham is another good one and gets much use also.
Never thought of mixing the 2 together, might be pretty good.

Only thing about that is the final percentage for the mix may be high when said and done. I read on here where 8% or more flavors is blasphemy for some people. I would vape it.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only thing about that is the final percentage for the mix may be high when said and done. I read on here where 8% or more flavors is blasphemy for some people. I would vape it.

Nah, 8% isn't that high really, it's the 20%+ recipes that make me cringe:D.

But I've done a couple recipes that were quite good at 20%, just depends mostly on what flavors I suppose.
I've never used any single flavor over 10-12%, at least for stand alone testing anyway...

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And Heabob is correct I am talking the ok to use additive - not the Bad Stuff. :confused: FA Cookie, yes I sure do. Made me all sad bought tons of FA flavorings to make bakery recipes and chocolate recipes and even a diluted drop of TFA AP in 60ml I can taste. :eek:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And Heabob is correct I am talking the ok to use additive - not the Bad Stuff. :confused: FA Cookie, yes I sure do. Made me all sad bought tons of FA flavorings to make bakery recipes and chocolate recipes and even a diluted drop of TFA AP in 60ml I can taste. :eek:

Sorry, such a bummer cause the FA Cookie is sooo good...(along with so many others).

VU Sponsors