Become a Patron!

Looking for a rugged high wattage mod

I have tried several mods but I keep destroying them in a very short time. I have had a Vapor Shark DNA40, an IPV4s, an X Cube II, and a Reuleaux DNA 200 and each of them I have obliterated within a couple of months they have all been sound devices I am just very hard on them and nothing thus far has lasted so I am on a search for something outside the box, so to speak. I need something rugged that has fairly high wattage, say in the 150w range. Im not overly concerned with price at this point as I have spent a great deal already just to kill my mod. So ant advice here would be a huge help. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How are you killing them? From drops, overheating, water damage, etc? More information would help us know what to recommend. Myself, I think I'm pretty rough on my mods, but I've yet to break one. Battered and bruised yes, but they all still work.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Yes, sorry it has been primarily from repeatedly dropping them while at work. The have all broke in different ways but I believe it has all been caused by the dropping. On my IPV4s The battery box broke where the battery pin connects, The DNA200 the chip broke, the VaporShark the firing button shorted out, and the Xcube Im not completely sure what, it just won't turn on.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try a Sigelei. Rarely hear about them breaking, even from people dropping them.
Both the 100 and 150 are sturdy metal boxes. The 150 watt is available with and without TC.

There is also the 200 watt Fuchai with TC, but I've never seen or used that one. The fact that the Fuchai, despite being newer, has TC and a higher wattage, is actually cheaper then the older and lower wattage 100 and 150 makes me a bit leery of it. Perhaps it's made of cheaper materials or something.

Both my 100 watt and 150 watt have taken *many* falls to cement surfaces and are dinged and scratched all over but still work fine. Worst I've had happen so far is the screen on my 150 getting messed up so now I can barely see the battery/ohm reader. That was something like a 7ft fall though. Lost grip of it climbing out of a semi and it fell to the cab steps, bounced off and continued another few feet to the street.

stirredstill

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vaporflask.

Any of the three they have out.
I break... The unbreakables.

This baby is dedicated construction; now that they have partnered with Wemico they don't cost $300-400.

Grabbed my vaporflask stout for $150Cdn -pretty sure if your in the states your much more forgiven with pricing so it might run you just under the $100 mark

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, sorry it has been primarily from repeatedly dropping them while at work. The have all broke in different ways but I believe it has all been caused by the dropping. On my IPV4s The battery box broke where the battery pin connects, The DNA200 the chip broke, the VaporShark the firing button shorted out, and the Xcube Im not completely sure what, it just won't turn on.
You won't find a 150 watt device that is THAT rugged.

What I would suggest is maybe getting a custom neck lanyard made. If it's getting knocked over and dropped by butter fingers, attach a cord to it.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you don't require the absolute latest models out now, I highly recommend the IPV3Li. This mod is built like a tank. Mine has been knocked over repeatedly and even taken a spill from about 4 feet onto concrete and still works flawlessly.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You sound like one of the few who actually needs one of those holsters with a solid method of closure or securing the mod. Really might be the way to go.

That, and you're the fuckin' "can't have nice things" poster child. :p

:( Sorry about the mods though... R.I.P. :(

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My v1 Sig 100 is my oldest, most used, and still best-performing mod. It's taken a couple dozen drops to asphalt or concrete from waist to chest height, one from off a ladder (I leave my mods on the ground when roofing now), and is still ticking. For the modern no-frills durable box version, I'd look at the Fuchai. Nothing is going to be invincible, but buying $60ish mods rather than DNA-chipped boxes that cost twice as much or more will at least get your feelings hurt less when you break it.

Masher59

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've dropped my IPV 3LI many times and it's still kicking I would give it a try. Also maybe look at the boxer it's built like a tank.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another one that grabs my attention is the Hohm Wrecker, but the price tag is a bit higher than the iPV3Li. The outer case is CNC'd aluminum. The Boxer looks like it may also double as a weapon. It's expensive, but how many mods have you broken...?

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The weakness of the Boxer is its battery door (magnetic and press-fit styles). It is indeed rather thin and flimsy. But if I had to buy another DNA200 device, it would probably be another Boxer...

boxer_origen.jpg

VU Sponsors