jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So its time again for more nicotine. I have used NicRiver smooth salts for a while. But not LNW

I thought it came down to these two vendors and price is pretty much the same, one marks up product the other shipping.

Then I came across https://trunicotine.com any of you used them?

Open to other salt vendor suggestions if you guys know some I am just not aware of, except Nude Nicotine...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bump...

Vaped a salt nic juice (Mr. Good Vape) and really liked it.
Looking at nicotine river, and like jojo, wanted to get input from those that have used salt nic in their DIY... who has the cleanest salt nic?

Most reviews on nic river's site were good but a couple saying smell and taste were horrid so looking to VU for some guidance:)

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Most reviews on nic river's site were good but a couple saying smell and taste were horrid so looking to VU for some guidance

I have been using the smooth salts they (NR) have since Dec 14 2017 and have not had any of those same complaints show up in what I got.

I ended up just sticking with what I knew and ordered from them. I also needed the order soon as am down to my last few mls.

Put in another order 3/19/18 and FedEx is delivering today. They do cost more than LNW for shipping but product cost are pretty much the same. Others on the site have had good things to say about LNW and they are from those I trust.

I was going to order from them this go round but paying for quicker shipping put me at the same cost as NR-so I went with them plus the bottle I got from them was 10ml's more (250 vs 240). Had I not needed it sooner I would have gone with LNW.

TruNic is the cheapest I have seen and I know many go by the saying you get what you pay for... But I dont mind dropping 10 bucks to give them a test-just not when I am pretty much out.. it would be good to hear from others if they have tried them though.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm... TruNic is what Mr. Good vapes uses and I loved the nic. The flavoring was ok, mostly sugar cookie, not much if any butterscotch to it but the nic was goodness.
For $14 shipped, I'm in.

Thanx jojo!

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Share what you think about it :)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Looking over the rather sparse Trunic site, I can't find anything to confirm this is actually nicotine SALTs at all, it appears to be regular nicotine base to me. It's not salts unless they add some acid base to it. IF anyone tries it at a decent strengh like 12 mg or higher, let me know if its as smooth as NN or NicRiver nic salts. My money says its regular nic until someone verifies its smooth as salts are supposed to be.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Looking over the rather sparse Trunic site, I can't find anything to confirm this is actually nicotine SALTs at all, it appears to be regular nicotine base to me. It's not salts unless they add some acid base to it. IF anyone tries it at a decent strengh like 12 mg or higher, let me know if its as smooth as NN or NicRiver nic salts. My money says its regular nic until someone verifies its smooth as salts are supposed to be.

Can they say salt if it's not?

I'm also interested, because my nicotine salt came from LNW a brown color, after I emailed them that they had sent me regular nicotine base first by mistake

Screenshot_20180403-165511.png

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
They can, but if its not nic salts, they shouldn't. Here's what one site that uses it says:

One Hit Wonder Man Series With TruNic 2.0 Nicotine Salts E-Liquid 100ML

All One Hit Wonder E-Liquid is 100% made in the USA. You can be sure that The Man Series will be some high quality juice. This is also one of the first e-liquids with the brand new TruNic 2.0 USA Nicotine. This new version of TruNic is double purified and super pure nicotine. Expect more of a throat hit than the usual One Hit Wonder E Liquid.
Yet the highest nic content juice One Hit Wonder has is 6mg, that's hardly indicative of Nic Salts which are usually sold in much higher nic concentrations. And if its "Trunic™ tested at a 99.7% purity rating' as they claim, it wouldn't have any acid bases added to it. It just doesn't read like nic salts on the website description:
https://trunicotine.com/pages/trunic-explained

I would have to test it to know for sure, or someone else who has tried several brands of nic salts could tell. Tobacco leaves, which include the natural salts, are highly acidic, around 5 ph, that is lost in the standard extraction process, which typically results in a nicotine base extract with a ph of around 8 (slightly alkaline).
https://breazy.com/blogs/education/nicotine-salts-explained
So manufacturers of nic salts like Nude Nicotine, LNW, and Nicotine River (I've tried all three) add acids to the nicotine base to get a lower ph (smoother on the vape).

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By the time I got around to ordering, they were out of PG base... still out.

They are a US company, I can't imagine them calling a product something it's not. I would think that what they call nic salts is nic salts.

I asked them why they don't have their 2.0 product available, maybe they only offer that to manufacturers for now? Maybe they just need to get rid of their 1.0 stock?

If they ever get a PG base in stock, I'll try it but I don't like mixing with VG base.

David, just looking for more opinions... who has the smoothest nic salt out of NN, LNW & NR? If I don't hear back from trunic, I'm ordering from somewhere else.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
because my nicotine salt came from LNW a brown color
Nude Nicotine sent me salts and it was an amber color, but it was salt nic for sure-I dont think color can be a factor in determining if something is salt/freebase... Others have shared similar experience.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nude Nicotine sent me salts and it was an amber color, but it was salt nic for sure-I dont think color can be a factor in determining if something is salt/freebase... Others have shared similar experience.

I was not meaning that color was linked to being salt nicotine or not - I am bad at wording things sometimes.

I meant that LNW sent me regular, non-salt nicotine first by mistake - a minor complaint about LNW messing up my order

Then, separately, my salt nicotine was rather dark - I am also not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, only stating it for informative purposes

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I was not meaning that color was linked to being salt
Hey no worry I also skim items and read fast.. part of the fun with forums.. body language, tone and so many other methods we use to communicate aside from words are lost... :)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
By the time I got around to ordering, they were out of PG base... still out.

They are a US company, I can't imagine them calling a product something it's not. I would think that what they call nic salts is nic salts.

I asked them why they don't have their 2.0 product available, maybe they only offer that to manufacturers for now? Maybe they just need to get rid of their 1.0 stock?

If they ever get a PG base in stock, I'll try it but I don't like mixing with VG base.

David, just looking for more opinions... who has the smoothest nic salt out of NN, LNW & NR? If I don't hear back from trunic, I'm ordering from somewhere else.
So far my preference is for NN Signature. Here is my personal opinion on each:
NN Smooth - smooth, but was light amber on arrival, and darkened over a month or two to a dark amber. NN says this doesn['t affect flavor, but my taste buds said it did.
NN Signature - smooth, arrived with little color, darkens very slowly compared to the Smooth I purchased. Has a distinct chemical smell that I believe is benzoic acid (NN Smooth may have had that as well). This does affect taste on subtle flavors, like NET diy juice, but not in any way that makes me not want to use it. The affect on taste was not noticeable ti me for other flavors such as peppermint or custard.
LNW and NR - very similar to me, they don't have that smell of benzoic acid, but they do have a taste that's hard to describe, like a "smoked something". One of them (forget which) made me cough a bit every time I took a draw or two.
Note that I tried all three, LNW, NR, and NN Smooth with NO flavorings, just PG and VG mixed, at about 24 mg/ml nic concentration, so I could taste the nic salts itself.

I vape a very high PG/VG ratio, most vape high VG here, so impressions may be different with high VG. I have seen several other opinions giving preference to LNW and NR, and taste is with the beholder, so the final verdict is with you. :)

As far as TruNic salts goes, it may be the best thing since cotton candy, but I will never know, I looked all over the website and no way I will order off an "anonymous" website that doesn't provide a phone number, or email address, or a physical location, with the only way to contact them on the website being a form. Call me a skeptic, but I totally disbelieve that "if its on the internet, it must be true" :D

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So far my preference is for NN Signature. Here is my personal opinion on each:
NN Smooth - smooth, but was light amber on arrival, and darkened over a month or two to a dark amber. NN says this doesn['t affect flavor, but my taste buds said it did.
NN Signature - smooth, arrived with little color, darkens very slowly compared to the Smooth I purchased. Has a distinct chemical smell that I believe is benzoic acid (NN Smooth may have had that as well). This does affect taste on subtle flavors, like NET diy juice, but not in any way that makes me not want to use it. The affect on taste was not noticeable ti me for other flavors such as peppermint or custard.
LNW and NR - very similar to me, they don't have that smell of benzoic acid, but they do have a taste that's hard to describe, like a "smoked something". One of them (forget which) made me cough a bit every time I took a draw or two.
Note that I tried all three, LNW, NR, and NN Smooth with NO flavorings, just PG and VG mixed, at about 24 mg/ml nic concentration, so I could taste the nic salts itself.

I vape a very high PG/VG ratio, most vape high VG here, so impressions may be different with high VG. I have seen several other opinions giving preference to LNW and NR, and taste is with the beholder, so the final verdict is with you. :)

As far as TruNic salts goes, it may be the best thing since cotton candy, but I will never know, I looked all over the website and no way I will order off an "anonymous" website that doesn't provide a phone number, or email address, or a physical location, with the only way to contact them on the website being a form. Call me a skeptic, but I totally disbelieve that "if its on the internet, it must be true" :D

Crap...I've had some mild throat irritation off and on since I switched to Nic salts from LNW, now I have to seriously consider the nicotine as the cause. I was hoping it was anything But the nicotine :(

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Crap...I've had some mild throat irritation off and on since I switched to Nic salts from LNW, now I have to seriously consider the nicotine as the cause. I was hoping it was anything But the nicotine :(
That’s the way I would describe my experience, a little throat irritation that made me cough, though it’s been a while and I don’t remember if it was NR or LNW salts. I still have both and planned on trying them again unflavored when I have time.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For the scientifically inclined, you may be interested in the results of pH tests I did for nicotine salts.and a comparison with regular nicotine base.
I used pH test strips made for urine/saliva, so I'm not sure of the absolute accuracy (two colors on each strip, sometimes didn't match exactly a given pH color chart), the relative differences between the various salts should be reliable.
LNW & NR Nic salts - pH = nominal 5.75 (5.5 to 6.0), [this result and the similar taste made me wonder if LNW supplies NR, since LNW has been around for a while and NR more recently started supplying Nic salts. Though only one seemed to make me cough, but I need to repeat that testing with both to confirm. ]
NN Signature Nic salts - pH 6.0
Vaperstek (ChemNovatic EU sourced regular nicotine, not nic salts, for a "control" test) - pH = 8.5 (alkaline)
For reference, pH 7 is neutral, below 7 is acidic, above 7 alkaline.

This testing confirmed the theory I had that the primary reason nic salts are smoother than regular nic is that they are less alkaline, and as you can see from the results above, by a significant margin. FYI, as far as regular nicotine base goes, I think that Vaperstek and NN regular nic are both excellent, without that peppery throat hit I get with some other brands.
IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1121.JPG

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For the scientifically inclined, you may be interested in the results of pH tests I did for nicotine salts.and a comparison with regular nicotine base.
I used pH test strips made for urine/saliva, so I'm not sure of the absolute accuracy (two colors on each strip, sometimes didn't match exactly a given pH color chart), the relative differences between the various salts should be reliable.
LNW & NR Nic salts - pH = nominal 5.75 (5.5 to 6.0), [this result and the similar taste made me wonder if LNW supplies NR, since LNW has been around for a while and NR more recently started supplying Nic salts. Though only one seemed to make me cough, but I need to repeat that testing with both to confirm. ]
NN Signature Nic salts - pH 6.0
Vaperstek (ChemNovatic EU sourced regular nicotine, not nic salts, for a "control" test) - pH = 8.5 (alkaline)
For reference, pH 7 is neutral, below 7 is acidic, above 7 alkaline.

This testing confirmed the theory I had that the primary reason nic salts are smoother than regular nic is that they are less alkaline, and as you can see from the results above, by a significant margin. FYI, as far as regular nicotine base goes, I think that Vaperstek and NN regular nic are both excellent, without that peppery throat hit I get with some other brands.
View attachment 108003 View attachment 108004 View attachment 108005
Good info...thanks David...!

VU Sponsors