Become a Patron!

Life Long Smoker Looking To Make The Switch

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
Hello Everyone,
My wife has been a Clove cigarette smoker for 40+ years, and after a recent hospital visit for a lung infection she's been diagnosed with copd. I've been trying for years to get her to convert to vaping, but she's never been happy with anything I had her try in the past. Now that her doctor told her she either quits or is looking at lugging around an oxygen tank, I think she's a little more motivated.

So I'm basically looking for any suggestions on a device that might be appropriate to satisfy her nicotine habit. She's definitely not interested in a sub-ohm cloud bursting rig like the one I use, and the salts may be too intense. She hit my son's Xros 3 mini with 40 mg and it just made her cough Lol. Not sure how low you can go with the nicotine levels on these small salt devices? Are there any non-salt devices available, disposable or not, that might be worth a try? And I don't think any of the juice makers out there sell a Clove flavored vape juice that I know of. So she may have to bite the bullet on Clove. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you might have. Thanks!

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What pod is your son using? It might just be that your wife would do better with a different pod than the one your son uses. Possibly try to find the 1.2ohm pod for it?

I don't know enough about most of the newer gear to offer any other advice I'm afraid.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I found some clove ejuice that is supposed to taste like Dijarum Black, I know nothing about the supplier other than that they appear to be in North Texas.
Google Mongo's Flavors black clove

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello Everyone,
My wife has been a Clove cigarette smoker for 40+ years, and after a recent hospital visit for a lung infection she's been diagnosed with copd. I've been trying for years to get her to convert to vaping, but she's never been happy with anything I had her try in the past. Now that her doctor told her she either quits or is looking at lugging around an oxygen tank, I think she's a little more motivated.

So I'm basically looking for any suggestions on a device that might be appropriate to satisfy her nicotine habit. She's definitely not interested in a sub-ohm cloud bursting rig like the one I use, and the salts may be too intense. She hit my son's Xros 3 mini with 40 mg and it just made her cough Lol. Not sure how low you can go with the nicotine levels on these small salt devices? Are there any non-salt devices available, disposable or not, that might be worth a try? And I don't think any of the juice makers out there sell a Clove flavored vape juice that I know of. So she may have to bite the bullet on Clove. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you might have. Thanks!

Hello rain6460,

I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's troubles. Clove cigarettes are very harsh. They used to be a nightclub treat for me only, because other people didn't mind the smell of them.

I don't recommend disposables because the nic levels in them are too high, usually 50 or 60 mg. The prevailing wisdom has been that a new vaper should start at 18 mg/ml which is strong enough to keep down the nic cravings, though quitting may still be difficult for Mrs. However, 50 or 60 mg/ml is dangerous in terms of cardiac risk. Otherwise nicotine, divorced from burning plant matter and all the dangerous additives they put in cigarettes, is just a mild stimulant like caffeine.

I recommend starting where many a successful cig quit vaper began, with the Ego T battery and a glassomizer. I use the eLeaf, but it's more of an investment when you're not sure of success. In any case you can just do a search for the Ego-T starter kit, or eLeaf starter kit, and find your equipment.

After starting in 2012 with the Ego-T with a plastic clearomizer, I graduated to the glassomizer I have used ever since, which is the Aspire BVC. I use 1.6 ohms resistance coils.

Clove is the only flavor I vape, though I use unflavored when I have to be around people. I get my clove at PerfectVape.com but it isn't difficult to find it, and I've never had a clove eliquid that wasn't good, and true to the flavor it's supposed to have. Anyway the PerfectVape house liquid I buy is not a salt nic formula.

Seasoned vapers know that figuring out what you want to use is a journey of discovery, which is why I'm suggesting that she start cheap.

Get two of them, one for use while the other one recharges. It comes with the charging cable, but will need also a wall plug, to which you connect the included USB cable in the starter kit:

An Evod or Vision Spinner battery will be similar in form and function, and is also a good way to start.

Some other resources, and sellers I buy from:

After successfully quitting cigarettes, after a few weeks or months, Mrs. may want to reduce her nic from 18 mg. to 12.

Each of us can only report what has given us success. Hopefully others will stroll up with suggestions.

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
What pod is your son using? It might just be that your wife would do better with a different pod than the one your son uses. Possibly try to find the 1.2ohm pod for it?

I don't know enough about most of the newer gear to offer any other advice I'm afraid.
He says he uses a 1.0. Maybe an increased resistance would be better with a lower nic level. Thanks.

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
I found some clove ejuice that is supposed to taste like Dijarum Black, I know nothing about the supplier other than that they appear to be in North Texas.
Google Mongo's Flavors black clove
That's exactly what she's been smoking for a long time. I'll definitely have to look into that. Just need to find the right device for her to use. Thanks!

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
Hello rain6460,

I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's troubles. Clove cigarettes are very harsh. They used to be a nightclub treat for me only, because other people didn't mind the smell of them.

I don't recommend disposables because the nic levels in them are too high, usually 50 or 60 mg. The prevailing wisdom has been that a new vaper should start at 18 mg/ml which is strong enough to keep down the nic cravings, though quitting may still be difficult for Mrs. However, 50 or 60 mg/ml is dangerous in terms of cardiac risk. Otherwise nicotine, divorced from burning plant matter and all the dangerous additives they put in cigarettes, is just a mild stimulant like caffeine.

I recommend starting where many a successful cig quit vaper began, with the Ego T battery and a glassomizer. I use the eLeaf, but it's more of an investment when you're not sure of success. In any case you can just do a search for the Ego-T starter kit, or eLeaf starter kit, and find your equipment.

After starting in 2012 with the Ego-T with a plastic clearomizer, I graduated to the glassomizer I have used ever since, which is the Aspire BVC. I use 1.6 ohms resistance coils.

Clove is the only flavor I vape, though I use unflavored when I have to be around people. I get my clove at PerfectVape.com but it isn't difficult to find it, and I've never had a clove eliquid that wasn't good, and true to the flavor it's supposed to have. Anyway the PerfectVape house liquid I buy is not a salt nic formula.

Seasoned vapers know that figuring out what you want to use is a journey of discovery, which is why I'm suggesting that she start cheap.

Get two of them, one for use while the other one recharges. It comes with the charging cable, but will need also a wall plug, to which you connect the included USB cable in the starter kit:

An Evod or Vision Spinner battery will be similar in form and function, and is also a good way to start.

Some other resources, and sellers I buy from:

After successfully quitting cigarettes, after a few weeks or months, Mrs. may want to reduce her nic from 18 mg. to 12.

Each of us can only report what has given us success. Hopefully others will stroll up with suggestions.
Thank you for that. And I do appreciate you taking the time to provide all of that information! The last time I actually looked for Clove flavored ejuice was several years ago and it didn't seem very plentiful. I guess there's more available these days..good to know! And I'm definitely going to explore your other device suggestions. You've given me a good starting point. Thank you again!

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
BTW...love your quote. So true. I wonder if Seneca ever gave any lessons on how to actually live it!:)

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BTW...love your quote. So true. I wonder if Seneca ever gave any lessons on how to actually live it!:)
I'm sure it was endlessly discussed and debated with other philosophers, but I'm not having any luck putting it into practice. Probably because I don't totally buy into the whole Stoic philosophy so I have never actually studied up on the how. But I think that the two biggest issues that keep people from truly living (myself included) are that they are either dwelling on the past or worried about the future.

Back to the topic, Bliss's suggestion of the ego-t style devices is actually a pretty good idea, that is what an awful lot of people used to quit smoking. Here I was trying to find a way to make that Xros work for your wife but there is something to be said for going old school.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I agree with 18mg freebase starting out for most ppl. I smoked over 1.5 pks a day for 41 yrs and 18 was a bit high for me, so at the time I bought and mixed 18 and 12 for 15mg for mtl.

Everyone coughs at first if not vaping correctly during the transition, and a little after till cilia repairs. So expect that, but don't give up. It can be done w/no or very little coughing.

At first, have her pick up the vape 1st, everytime she wants to smoke. Take small, even tiny, puffs, ie as much as possible WITHOUT COUGHING. If there's a cough when puff, take a smaller hit. She may not see any vapor at all when exhaling, but it's happening.
When it gets to where she then just has to have a cig, because that little bit of vape won't satisfy, then have the cig. Next time she wants a cig, do the same thing, vape first.

Stay with that regimen till your lungs get more used to it being vapor instead of smoke, and be able to take in more and more vapor, which will reduce the cigs and to no cigs.

Stay at it till it's just all vaping and no cigarettes.

For me it was 1.5 pks the first week, 10 cigs the next, then 0.

Highly highly suggest a tank- that has airflow control, with replaceable coils, on a mod - one that has adjustable wattage. Being able to adjust the airflow and the power is monumental in the beginning - imo.
So, being able to choose the resistance, then choose the airflow(not like the little af adjustment you might find on a slim pod type device), the being able to adjust the power.....means with that 1 coil you can make it have a longer slower draw in the beginning, and lower/lessen the af, and up the wattage - both a little at a time - for more vapor as you get used to it. Otherwise you just have to barely puff, of puff harder, with no other alternatives. Being a vaper yourself, you know what I mean.

Don't shop by price. At the same time it doesn't have to be expensive either - in relative terms. You want what's going to work so she doesn't have to fail and start over. IK that's not easy to determine.

I suggest a tank, that has multiple coil selections even if she starts out with something like a 1.6Ω so that there's options with the same setup. Once used to vaping she might want something other that what she started with. I think PnP type devices have those options. And probably with built in batteries.

Last edited:

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
I agree with 18mg freebase starting out for most ppl. I smoked over 1.5 pks a day for 41 yrs and 18 was a bit high for me, so at the time I bought and mixed 18 and 12 for 15mg for mtl.

Everyone coughs at first if not vaping correctly during the transition, and a little after till cilia repairs. So expect that, but don't give up. It can be done w/no or very little coughing.

At first, have her pick up the vape 1st, everytime she wants to smoke. Take small, even tiny, puffs, ie as much as possible WITHOUT COUGHING. If there's a cough when puff, take a smaller hit. She may not see any vapor at all when exhaling, but it's happening.
When it gets to where she then just has to have a cig, because that little bit of vape won't satisfy, then have the cig. Next time she wants a cig, do the same thing, vape first.

Stay with that regimen till your lungs get more used to it being vapor instead of smoke, and be able to take in more and more vapor, which will reduce the cigs and to no cigs.

Stay at it till it's just all vaping and no cigarettes.

For me it was 1.5 pks the first week, 10 the next, then 0.

Highly highly suggest a tank- that has airflow control, with replaceable coils, on a mod - one that has adjustable wattage. Being able to adjust the airflow and the power is monumental in the beginning - imo.
So, being able to choose the resistance, then choose the airflow(not like the little af adjustment you might find on a slim pod type device), the being able to adjust the power.....means with that 1 coil you can make it have a longer slower draw in the beginning, and lower/lessen the af, and up the wattage - both a little at a time - for more vapor as you get used to it. Otherwise you just have to barely puff, of puff harder, with no other alternatives. Being a vaper yourself, you know what I mean.

Don't shop by price. At the same time it doesn't have to be expensive either - in relative terms. You want what's going to work so she doesn't have to fail and start over. IK that's not easy to determine.

I suggest a tank, that has multiple coil selections even if she starts out with something like a 1.6Ω so that there's options with the same setup. Once used to vaping she might want something other that what she started with. I think PnP type devices have those options. And probably with built in batteries.

Thank you for those suggestions, I do think it makes more sense to try devices that offer flexibility on wattage and coil resistances. Think that's where we'll start.

rain6460

Member For 4 Years
I'm sure it was endlessly discussed and debated with other philosophers, but I'm not having any luck putting it into practice. Probably because I don't totally buy into the whole Stoic philosophy so I have never actually studied up on the how. But I think that the two biggest issues that keep people from truly living (myself included) are that they are either dwelling on the past or worried about the future.

Back to the topic, Bliss's suggestion of the ego-t style devices is actually a pretty good idea, that is what an awful lot of people used to quit smoking. Here I was trying to find a way to make that Xros work for your wife but there is something to be said for going old school.
I certainly agree with not putting much stock in stoicism. Probably because I've been labeled a person who wears it all on my shirt sleeve. When I'm happy, sad, or mad everyone knows it! Lol. Couldn't agree with you more though, the dwelling on the past and fear of the future are indeed the two biggest impediments to living fully in the moment...which ironically, is all we ever have. Still, often easier said than done!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The original Nautilus with BVC coils may be responsible for more ppl quitting cigs than any other tank.
It has these newer versions with newer looks, and they've added to the BVC lineup. There's good reason it's been around since, 2014 I think it was.

Kit w/built in battery and nautilus 3.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can get flavorless nicotine containing ejuice, then add clove flavoring. Others may offer up suggestions on where to get the unflavored ejuice. I have to hunt when I need it as well.

My only suggestion follows. Heartland vapes usually carry it in 18mg. Been vaping 18mg strength all along, smoked 35+ years, pack to pack and half a day.

Gentle reminder, have the wife drink plenty of water as she gets into vaping. It can help with the coughing some. Also recall, listen to your own body and actual face to face trusted medical professionals. Some dummy on the InterWebs might tell you fine on a carburetor rebuild, doesn't mean they know jack about human lives.

Be aware too, even all the high fa looting doctors don't know everything & are just as human as you and me.

Run 'er slow, steady as she goes.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The original Nautilus with BVC coils may be responsible for more ppl quitting cigs than any other tank.
It has these newer versions with newer looks, and they've added to the BVC lineup. There's good reason it's been around since, 2014 I think it was.

Kit w/built in battery and nautilus 3.

There's some good advice in your posts in this thread.

If I'd not hoarded a shoebox full of the Aspire BVC glassomizer and possibly a lifetime of 1.6 ohms coils for them, I might want to try that Nautilus BVC just to check it out. I didn't like the original Nautilus. It leaked, and the air flow would go wonky without me doing anything to it. Anyway, I may try again now that they've gone to the BVC coil.

For the OP, the Nautilus tank does work fine on the Ego-T 3.7v, which I linked as a cheap starter kit, using either a thread cover or an adapter, either of which is a cheap little thing (I forget which thing, it's been a while).

I clicked your Nautilus link, and found it comes in 0.3 ohms, which I think would allow them to work with that Batpack I tried, but didn't mention to the OP because it has been discontinued, though you can still find it easily. Since it uses alkaline batteries, the power is 1.85 volts, but the coils they made for it (also discontinued, disappearing from the market) are 0.5 ohm, giving a vape experience comparable to the Ego-T 3.7v. Therefore if the Nautilus BVC with a 0.3 ohms coil could work. The Batpack, still available here and there, is a one time inexpensive mod purchase, and no backup unit would be needed.

Enough of me confusing the OP, but I'm willing to answer questions.

Even though I started the journey at 18 mg, about three weeks after my last cigarette I started to feel wired all the time, waking up in the middle of the night, so I dropped to 12 mg, the level I have kept to this day, 11 years later. I still tell newbies to start at 18mg for the extra nic support while quitting cigs.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Definitely second what @Vape Fan said about learning to inhale the vape. It took me a good three days to figure out how to take in the vapor, which is different than the way you inhale cigarette smoke.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I decided to provide the link to the exact PerfectVape house brand liquid I use in clove. 120 ml. is only 16.73. It's always good. I've been using it for years.

Another recommendation for liquids is 80 pg 20 vg. That taste may change after a newbie gains experience, but it gives the easiest draw, normal exhalation that mimics cigarette smoke, which I think helps in the cig quit process.

PV also has an eLeaf mini starter kit in stock, which even though mini is 1050 mah:

And that kit would work beautifully with the Nautilus BVC or the Nautilus Mini BVC.

Otherwise, if the OP and Mrs. go for the Ego-T starter kit, then ElementVape has a 5-pack of the Aspire BVC glassomizers at 32.99. They come loaded with 1.8 ohm coils, which is fine, great with the Egos.

I think I'll bow out of this thread now. The trouble with long time vapers like me, who have hoarded what we like ever since the first ban threats, are not up on the more recent innovations.

Above all I am recommending open systems over disposables.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I didn't like the original Nautilus. It leaked, and the air flow would go wonky without me doing anything to it
I had no problems w/my og. it's what I used for the first 9 months. Then wanted more of a hit so got Melo, maybe Melo II, and a *gasp* Smok AL85 **washes mouth out with soap**.

That Nautilus 3S look like good features, same as 3 I suppose, but I like the glass cover.

For Zelos mod I was trying to come up with something small yet enough runtime to probably last a day, w/o buying batteries and a charger.

Of course a 1x 21700 mod would be better for that imo, with that no way she'd run out during even a long day. I know with me, I started carrying an extra charged 3000mah18650 w/Nautilus to get through the day. But even a 1x 18650 will have more runtime than that 2500mah mod. Anyways, there's tons of choices for external battery mods, costs more initially but not in the long run. Also once used to vapor, and if at about 12W with a 1.6 or 1.8 a person could be hunting a usb before days end. And I don't know if it has passthrough, the ability to vape while charging, probably, but if wrong 1 time and the mod is fried. Then there's the personal elements of size/style/aesthetic elements.
Maybe we'll get feedback on that kind of stuff before a decision is made.
Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and I think that's true for a new vapor. Or think of it this way haha, "I spent all this money, I HAVE to make it work" lol.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Check this out. A person could buy a few of these and just have them on hand. Maybe a little cumbersome, but if in car, home not bad.
$4.20 in the cart. I think it's 1100mah. There's YT's on it, 2016 but still, its only 4 bucks.

O

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
the vapor, which is different than the way you inhale cigarette smoke.
Exactly. It's different than smoke and our body/lungs go, "What's this? Get out of here!" Till we get used to it, like when we first smoked but doesn't take as long. Some ppl take to vaping like a fish in water.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
a 1x 18650 will have more runtime than that 2500mah mod.
Ah, yup.
$4.20 in the cart. I think it's 1100mah. There's YT's on it, 2016 but still, its only 4 bucks.
Not a bad little mod for the bucks, one might, would grab maybe 4 or 6 at that price for emergency stashing. Like you said, toss one or two in a vehicle, one or two around the house. 1100mah doesn't do me all day, but if I had another stashed I could do it. Backups even for backups as we say.
The trouble with long time vapers like me, who have hoarded what we like ever since the first ban threats, are not up on the more recent innovations.
Or, some like me who haven't really hoarded. We find what we like and pick up a few extras here and there along the way. I don't get much into all the new dangled stuff. Heck & beans, I don't even use temp control, never have.
Above all I am recommending open systems over disposables.
Thank you, knew there was a reason I had hope ;)

See you got a kidney, guess you've smelled the coffee as well. Yes, we need to keep folks away from closed systems. Sure, I like the convenience of 'standard' but not if it means I'm locked into a company that suddenly tanks out. Worse yet, won't let me use stuff made by other companies, what with it 'all' being 'standard'.

Reminds me of the 100% pure apple juice argument/joke. *grin*

VU Sponsors