Become a Patron!

Learning the Billet style system

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there a thread for educational info on learning the billet style system or is it a easy self taught system?

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some of the pointers I need are - preferred wire, coil size(dia. and wraps) wattage/temp, juice viscosity, salt or freebase nicotine. I'll be shooting for a mtl style vape(I hope). I'm sure there's alot of members with the same questions and more.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't think new Billet Boxes come with an RBA any more, so a lot of the answers to your questions will depend on which bridge you decide to use. All of my bridges are clones except for an Ambition Mods Molen and a Vandy Vape Vessel. The Molen I guess could be used for MTL, but you might be better off with one of the ones that come with airflow pins of different sizes, some of them all the way from 1mm to 3 or 3.5mm.

I use 30/70 e-liquid in all of mine, build with 26ga stainless wire, for an RDL vape around 0.25 to 0.4 ohms. ID of coils is usually either 2.5 or 3mm, and usually 4 to 6 wraps, depending on space. I run the box at anywhere from 25 watts to 45 with the second-largest airflow pin, just under 3mm. Of the clone bridges I have, the Mobb "The Last One" is my favorite, and it does come with an assortment of airflow pins. The best quality clone I've found came from 2fdeal.com and was about 25 bucks shipped.

If I were going to adjust for MTL, I'd probably go with an airflow pin around 2mm or a little less, 28 gauge nichrome wire, 2.5mm ID, maybe 7 or 8 wraps to get a coil right around 1 ohm. I'd reduce power to about 18 watts. Those are ballpark guesses on my part. It's been years since I vaped MTL, but I think that would get you started.

If you end up getting a bridge that has very tiny inlet holes for juice, you might want to go with 50/50 liquid.

ETA: One last thing: I haven't found Billet Boxes all that easy to use. I had a lot of problems with leaking at first, and discovered that I have to vape a newly-refilled tank for at least 8 or 10 draws to set the vacuum. I also have found it easier to get everything to connect properly if I push the boro tank up a little with my thumbnail and then screw down my drip tip. I can then feel when the boro tank starts to move down and make connection with the pin in the bottom of the tank housing. I have had some unpleasant surprises with various bits and bobs, especially screws and drip tips, some of which will fit in an SXK clone but not an authentic BB, or vice versa.

Having said that, when you get a BB set up right, it's hard to beat with any other kind of vape except maybe a really good mechanical squonker. And it's huge fun customizing them. There are rewards for the effort you make and the money you spend. :) I love every one of mine.

Last edited:

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Nadalama, from what you've said the BB style of mods sounds like just another go at the manufacturer’s giving us more of the same of what we already had. Sounds and looks like nothing changed other than putting the RBA/RTA inside the box to give a more compact unit. Same juice, same coil and same settings of what the end user felt comfortable with on an exposed(outside the box mod) tank.
Just another brick in the wall...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Having said that, when you get a BB set up right, it's hard to beat with any other kind of vape except maybe a really good mechanical squonker.
Hmm. Been running my DovPo Topside regulated squonker. I'm enjoying it. Still I have three mechanical squonks at the ready, two more all but ready. One thing I have stuck with since @Hank F. Spankman, RDS/As. Do not care much for tanks, not even tried pods.
Well, ... You're not really going to see much more innovation out of vaping kits. A battery box/unit, an atomizer, fairly summarizes what we're getting delivered. If you've those two key parts, the rest is mainly subjective preferences. So yep, another bag o' bricks.

That isn't intended to read as negative. It is simply an observation of seemingly common held fact. What is, is.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I'm not a billet box guy (should be but it is what it is)
Have no advice except check out some Grimmgreen stuff (he is really into this)

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, watched a few YouTube videos, Grimms was good. Biggest gain looks like a little more punch in the flavor. I'm going to play with one.
Down the rabbit hole I go...

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Nadalama, from what you've said the BB style of mods sounds like just another go at the manufacturer’s giving us more of the same of what we already had. Sounds and looks like nothing changed other than putting the RBA/RTA inside the box to give a more compact unit. Same juice, same coil and same settings of what the end user felt comfortable with on an exposed(outside the box mod) tank.

The big selling point here is the contained tank and compact size (at least for me). A lot of people try to jam a big alien coil in these tiny RBAs and it never made any sense to me. Round wire gives a decent vape and the most complicated coil I go with is a fused clapton around 0.35-0.5 ohms for RDL and 0.7-1.1 ohms for MTL.
I’ve considered a micro staggered fused clapton but learning to build those is not something I have a lot of time for these days. The appeal of more coil crackle makes me want to give a go though.
There’s the Bill Box Appreciation thread here. Lots of good info there from knowledgeable vapers. Take a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yup, watched a few YouTube videos, Grimms was good. Biggest gain looks like a little more punch in the flavor. I'm going to play with one.
Down the rabbit hole I go...

I agree that for the most part, the flavor is very good.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

So is this what you consider a "real" post? You just copy another member's post? Will keep an eye here for spam links that you'll probably try to post soon. Just so you know....

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heh heh heh...
This is good stuff , I was reading Motas post saying damn that's exactly how I feel on BB'S. Then Nadalama, you caught the perp copy pasting my post.
Heh heh heh

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
They lucky....

VU Sponsors