Become a Patron!

Latest 18650 High Amp High Drain Batteries

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i might get a pair from that local site cause at this point fasstech is taking forever. it says they shipped but tracking number isn't showing up as found anywhere. i emailed them today
Yeah that's what I did, got a couple while waiting on the larger order from Slowtech to come in.

They really breathed new life into my 26650 mods, loving them.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah that's what I did, got a couple while waiting on the larger order from Slowtech to come in.

They really breathed new life into my 26650 mods, loving them.
just ordered 4 from them and 2 cases to hold them. they should arrive around the same time as my lux which is later this week. Now seriouslyl i'm done spending for the year. I'm over 1000 now since thanksgiving on vape gear lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my vaporesso is 160w
-vaping at 80w-100w
-using awt 3000mah 40a

my ipv d3 is 80wj
-vaping at 20w-60w
-using awt 2600mah 30a

i still have new extra batts just in case...
-solotech 3000mah 40a
-awt 3400mah 50a

*meaning i bought fake batts for awt (you mentioned any awt over 20a is unlikely)
**the awt batts i purchased had a "scratch & verify" thingy which i havent do anything to check if its genuine yet
dfa5037a2d970ff3cad22dc21cbda673.jpg

Vaper | Tattooist | Diver | Cyclist

they may well be authentic AWT.
But their label may be lying.
There are NO 18650 batteries over 30A CDR.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
they may well be authentic AWT.
But their label may be lying.
There are NO 18650 batteries over 30A CDR.
May be lying?
Mooch tested and they're 20a
this^
also authentic AWT doesn't mean anything. AWT doesn't make batteries, they rewrap them. The only companies that actually manufacture batteries that I'm aware of are LG, Samsung, Sony, and sanyo

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
this^
also authentic AWT doesn't mean anything. AWT doesn't make batteries, they rewrap them. The only companies that actually manufacture batteries that I'm aware of are LG, Samsung, Sony, and sanyo
Panasonic also, eFest and the rest just re-wrap what they reject.

Now for 26650's, that's a mystery

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Panasonic also, eFest and the rest just re-wrap what they reject.

Now for 26650's, that's a mystery
thanks. thought i was missing one.
on a sidenote. sanyo makes the best rechargeable AAA batteries. if you ever need any. get some eneloops. been using them for like 5 years in my xbox controllers and still hold a charge for over a week while in use

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
-using awt 3000mah 40a

That's the same battery (and the absolute last one) that my wife got at a vape shop. Our former vape shop.

She came home with a new mod and tank as an impulse buy. I could feel that the battery was hot through the mod case. I opened the case, gingerly popped out the batt, reached over and grabbed a brand new 25R from LiionWholesale. I put it in her mod and said, "OK, you're good."

That's what led her to finally ask a technical question about vaping. My answer could have had the headling "This is why people at vape shops might sell you garbage." Once I knew we were finally on the same page, I bought her 4 more 25Rs, a charger and a backup RBA for all three of her mods/tanks.

So thanks for the marital bliss, AWT.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bottom Line
This iJoy cell's 40A rating is exaggerated. This is incredibly frustrating because it's the first 30A 26650 I've ever tested and no exaggeration was needed! Why the hell do companies like iJoy still think they need to do this to sell batteries?

This is the first 26650 I've tested that acts like an 18650. Its internal resistance is lower than many of the good 18650's and it held its voltage well. At 30A/100W pulsed it ran approximately 75% longer, and 0.15V-0.20V higher, than the Basen and Brillipower 4500mAh cells down to 3.2V. It doesn't match the appearance of any other 26650 I have so I don't know where this cell came from. I am giving this cell a maximum vaping amps (MVA) rating of 40A but the voltage sag is getting pretty bad at this level.

The 26650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results

Pulse-Current Test Results

Comments
  • At 10A continuous it reached about 4100mAh. This is good performance for a 4200mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 4200mAh.
  • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 52°C. This is way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is an indication that we are operating way below its true rating.
  • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 59°C. This is still way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating way below its true rating.
  • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 69°C. This is still below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
  • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C. This is just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at its true rating.
  • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a lot.
  • At 40A continuous the temperature rose to 85°C. This is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a huge amount.
  • I am setting a CDR of 30A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 30A continuous.
  • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
But when it goes thermal and vents, does it do so by leaking electrolytes like an imr/inr, or does it explode into a fireball like an icr?

Whats in the can?

That much, no one has been able to answer with 100% certainly.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
But when it goes thermal and vents, does it do so by leaking electrolytes like an imr/inr, or does it explode into a fireball like an icr?

Whats in the can?

Idk. Maybe I joys site has info

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk. Maybe I joys site has info

I don't put a lot of faith in the honesty of these rewrappers when it comes to their batteries. Years of being blatantly lied to by these "manufacturers" prevents me from being able to take their word for anything anymore.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I don't put a lot of faith in the honesty of these rewrappers when it comes to their batteries. Years of being blatantly lied to by these "manufacturers" prevents me from being able to take their word for anything anymore.
their specs sure, but why would they lie about what type of battery it is lol

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod manufacturers don't make batteries they just rewrap them.
Don't know about Ijoy branded batteries but the Aspire ones are ICRs.
A few years ago we used ICRs because there were no other options but now there is no reason to use them, especially not in mechs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
realistically, i doubt they would make them ICR. mooch tested them as safe and thats good enough for me
And in at least one appearance on a vape show he expressed concerns about them being ICR. They met his specs but if they get shorted things may go very wrong very fast.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trust in Mooch!
I trust in mooch to tell me what the real cdr of cells are, and to provide accurate information on the cells performance.

...but what happens when they're hard shorted or seriously overheated? Mooch doesn't test for that, but eventually someone somewhere will vent one in their 6nine or something and they might find out the hard way if things inside the can aren't on the up and up.

Last I checked there were icr 18650's that would blow the proverbial doors off of VTC4's amp for amp, but when they vent they'll literally blow your doors off... so to speak.

With all of the flagrantly false labelling within the battery rewrapping community I have concerns when a no name company comes out of nowhere and suddenly offers a product with significantly better specifications, when it's all based on the same science.

How does ijoy, a company that does not actually manufacturer any batteries, manage to offer a safe chemistry battery that is far superior to any of the safe chemistry cells offered by the 5 major battery manufacturers?

It would likely be easier to locate and rewrap an icr cell with an inr/imr wrapper than to actually start from scratch and outdo the incumbents at making batteries. Just saying.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery manufacturers make batteries based on the specifications of their big customers, that's why they sometimes overrate or underrate them.
Rewrappers are not to be trusted with anything they write on their batteries.
But Mooch tests batteries for the sake of testing them.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
And in at least one appearance on a vape show he expressed concerns about them being ICR. They met his specs but if they get shorted things may go very wrong very fast.
well without being a battery expert this is what i found

ICR = LiCoO2 (also called LCO)
IMR = LiMn2O4 (also called LMO)
IFR = LiFePO4 (also called LFP)

Ijoy sites says they are - Type: Li-Ni (High Drain)

Only thing i can find on it is
http://gas2.org/2009/10/06/new-nickel-lithium-battery-has-ultrahigh-energy-storage-capacity/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1037692_new-nickel-lithium-battery-has-ultra-high-energy-density

It appears to have the same chemistry as electric car batteries do. So not an ICR or IMR.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love it if a trusted 3rd party could verify that ijoy is actually using this battery technology, and prove that is is in fact as safe or safer than current imr/inr type cells.

Call me a skeptic.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
well without being a battery expert this is what i found

ICR = LiCoO2 (also called LCO)
IMR = LiMn2O4 (also called LMO)
IFR = LiFePO4 (also called LFP)

Ijoy sites says they are - Type: Li-Ni (High Drain)

Only thing i can find on it is
http://gas2.org/2009/10/06/new-nickel-lithium-battery-has-ultrahigh-energy-storage-capacity/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1037692_new-nickel-lithium-battery-has-ultra-high-energy-density

It appears to have the same chemistry as electric car batteries do. So not an ICR or IMR.
Hmm a hybrid.
Hmm not sure how I feel about that.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I would love it if a trusted 3rd party could verify that ijoy is actually using this battery technology, and prove that is is in fact as safe or safer than current imr/inr type cells.

Call me a skeptic.
nothing wrong with being skeptical but mooch gives us safe limits. stay within those limits and you won't have an issue

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Obviously... but sometimes shit happens. When it does, it's nice to know what type of incendiary device you're holding to your face.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Obviously... but sometimes shit happens. When it does, it's nice to know what type of incendiary device you're holding to your face.
which is why everyone should use regulated mods until they know what they are doing.
Realistically we use "dangerous" shit all the time that can cause explosions wihout proper care. I mean how often do you hear of grease fires or people leaving the gas on the stove and causing an explosion. you can't idiot proof any device. Cigarettes have caused tons of fires. Back when i was in high school some kid was smoking in the auditorium behind the curtains to hide and set the curtains on fire by accident and we had to evacuate. You cna't fix stupud

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the same battery (and the absolute last one) that my wife got at a vape shop. Our former vape shop.

She came home with a new mod and tank as an impulse buy. I could feel that the battery was hot through the mod case. I opened the case, gingerly popped out the batt, reached over and grabbed a brand new 25R from LiionWholesale. I put it in her mod and said, "OK, you're good."

That's what led her to finally ask a technical question about vaping. My answer could have had the headling "This is why people at vape shops might sell you garbage." Once I knew we were finally on the same page, I bought her 4 more 25Rs, a charger and a backup RBA for all three of her mods/tanks.

So thanks for the marital bliss, AWT.
A local Vape shop I hang out at only sells authentic LG and Samsung. They also school those who come in with shit batteries from eFest, Imren, etc. Sadly they aren't the norm, can't tell you how many times I've been in others who push eFest pipe bombs.

Whats in the can?

I trust Mooch

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I trust mooch too, and he has apparently expressed concern that these ijoy cells might be icr as well. He has done nothing to assess the chemistry used, and has not intentionally hard shorted or otherwise attempted to send these cells into thermal runaway. That's not something he normally tests for.

Mooch is great. All hail Mooch for his efforts. We love him.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I trust mooch too, and he has apparently expressed concern that these ijoy cells might be icr as well. He has done nothing to assess the chemistry used, and has not intentionally hard shorted or otherwise attempted to send these cells into thermal runaway. That's not something he normally tests for.

nowhere did he say he expresses concern about the batteries chemistry
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...lts-overrated-but-a-great-30a-battery.764411/

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...lts-overrated-but-a-great-30a-battery.764411/

But even if he hasn't expressed concern thus far, I am. That's all.

If you love the batteries and don't consider there to be any risk in the event something goes wrong, by all means feel free to use them. I'm just saying that I have my reservations.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Nope, no where did he express concern about the batteries chemistry or even concern about the batteries at all.

Neither did he express concerns on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/522j7e/ijoy_40a_4200mah_26650_bench_test/

Fact is he states -
"The iJoys I tested are easily the best 26650's available and the only ones that perform as well as good 18650's do."

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He expressed them on the Plumes of Hazard show if I recall correctly.
If there was a concern he'd post them on his blog and recommended batteries.

I'm not worried, I fully trust Mooch and if they're good enough for him they're the right batteries to use. If it wasn't for him I'd more than likely be using the eFest, Imren, KDest, etc pipe bombs.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
If there was a concern he'd post them on his blog and recommended batteries.

I'm not worried, I fully trust Mooch and if they're good enough for him they're the right batteries to use. If it wasn't for him I'd more than likely be using the eFest, Imren, KDest, etc pipe bombs.
This^

Mooch never tested any batteries chemistry how do we know anyone is not lying lol. Why pick one battery and hate on it

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This^

Mooch never tested any batteries chemistry how do we know anyone is not lying lol. Why pick one battery and hate on it

He has the equipment to test them, stress test, voltage, temp, etc. etc. It's not like his actual job/profession is testing batteries and he does battery tests on the side for the Vaping community ya know ;)

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mooch is awesome but you guys are giving him credit for testing things which he does not test for.

Is he opening up cells and analyzing the contents? Is he hard shorting cells and forcing thermal runaway? No, he isn't.

Just because the cell outputs 30 amps and only sags like hell at 40 amps doesn't mean it won't blow your hand off under the right circumstances.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Mooch is awesome but you guys are giving him credit for testing things which he does not test for.

Is he opening up cells and analyzing the contents? Is he hard shorting cells and forcing thermal runaway? No, he isn't.

Just because the cell outputs 30 amps and only sags like hell at 40 amps doesn't mean it won't blow your hand off under the right circumstances.
Any battery will under certain circumstances. Ignorance may be bliss but too much skepticism leads to unhappiness. We're far from ignorant and so is mooch. The point was why hate on this one battery. What about all the other batteries even the ones u use. Where is your proof of their chemistry?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
He has the equipment to test them, stress test, voltage, temp, etc. etc. It's not like his actual job/profession is testing batteries and he does battery tests on the side for the Vaping community ya know ;)
I know I was geared towards the skeptic. I don't get his issue with these batts

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My issue is that if the 5 major battery manufacturers haven't been able to offer us these specs in a safe chemistry cell, then it is highly unlikely that ijoy was able to brew them up in their back room.

Ergo, it is my suspicion that they may be using potentially less safe chemistry cells to achieve those numbers... because these specs are not unachievable when we're talking about more volatile chemistry like icr.

Ya like em, use em. But don't list moochs' tests as the end all be all, because he only tests performance, not the internal chemistry and composition.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
My issue is that if the 5 major battery manufacturers haven't been able to offer us these specs in a safe chemistry cell, then it is highly unlikely that ijoy was able to brew them up in their back room.

Ergo, it is my suspicion that they may be using potentially less safe chemistry cells to achieve those numbers... because these specs are not unachievable when we're talking about more volatile chemistry like icr.
Except that's not correct. Also the main manufacturers have 0 interest in 26650 batts. Most of them don't even like that we use their batts for vaping. Sony wants out of the business. All the top 26650 batts are from non big manufactures. Brill power Basen efest ijoy etc and most of his top list use the same cells.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure, when efest label's their shit at 35amps and its really a 10 amp cdr cell, mooch can easily tell.

This is different
It's called testing and it's not like he does it for a living ;)

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Except that's not correct. Also the main manufacturers have 0 interest in 26650 batts. Most of them don't even like that we use their batts for vaping. Sony wants out of the business. All the top 26650 batts are from non big manufactures. Brill power Basen efest ijoy etc and most of his top list use the same cells.

Someone is making those 26650's, and it isnt Basen, efest, imren, mxjo, teslyi, awt, ijoy, etc... because none of them manufacturer batteries.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Someone is making those 26650's, and it isnt Basen, efest, imren, mxjo, teslyi, awt, ijoy, etc... because none of them manufacturer batteries.
That's my point. So why pick out 1 battery and shit on it?

On top of that what proof do u have of the chemistry in the batteries you use? Not to mention one of the best battery companies samsung made an exploding phone recently lol. So again I don't see your point

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He can run those tests all he likes, but they still don't tell us what chemisrty is inside the can.
So things like stress testing doesn't amount to shit?
OK, we'll have to agree to disagree. With Mooch's resume, qualifications, experience and dedication to safety I'm fully prepared to trust his judgement.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm "picking on" this battery because it's the only one that actually exceeds the specifications of cells offered by the 5 major battery manufacturers safe chemistry offerings.

You guys think that ijoy somehow managed to start from scratch and outdo the big guys? All to cater to vapers?

Wow. Enjoy your batteries folks. I'm sure they perform very well... just be safe.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors