Become a Patron!

Laptop batteries in parallel

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,
I have a question that's been floating in my mind for a while and what better place to ask than here :)

So my laptop just got bust and it would have been really unfeasible to repair it as opposed to buying a new one.
I decided to take the cells out of the batteries, the batteries were still in perfect condition when I was using the laptop (almost no battery wear). The cells I got are 8 x Samsung ICR18650-22B so they have a capacity of 2200mAh, 3.7V nominal voltage and and a max discharge current of 4.4A (not continous, I couldn't find that)

While my laptop broke I was in the progress of building my own vape. So I thought I could use these cells but knowing the dangers of exploding cells I decided on doing some research, some people have used laptop cells to vape without blowing themselves up but I saw that the majority of people discouraged the use of them mainly giving the reason of the very low discharge current.

So my question is would it be safe to connect say 4 of these cells in parallel with a coil of resistance 0.3Ohms so you draw 12.3A (3.075A from each cell) which is 70% of the max discharge current?

I have proper cells that I ordered for my vape as well as other components that I needed, So this is really just something I thought would work and don't see why most people discourage vaping with laptop cells? If I do test this out myself (if you guys say it would be safe) I will use a MOSFET and fuse just to make sure that I don't draw more than say 15A.

This may be in the wrong section, Please move (if possible) if it is xD

Last edited:

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Lol, I've seen that answer so many times but no one ever explains why, that's why I'm asking this question.
How do you expect people to understand something if no one is willing to elaborate?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because it's like taking bald tires off of an old car and putting them on your sports car.

Battery Safety is #1 in Vaping, those who don't take it seriously are the ones who end up in the news.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Want to know about Battery Safety, watch this interview with Mooch

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because it's like taking bald tires off of an old car and putting them on your sports car.

Battery Safety is #1 in Vaping, those who don't take it seriously are the ones who end up in the news.
I love the thought behind this statement!....Z

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The general public seems to have the impression that these batteries are just like the Duracell's. These are high power cells that store a lot of energy and if not properly cared for, used and respected very bad things happen.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys,
I have a question that's been floating in my mind for a while and what better place to ask than here :)

So my laptop just got bust and it would have been really unfeasible to repair it as opposed to buying a new one.
I decided to take the cells out of the batteries, the batteries were still in perfect condition when I was using the laptop (almost no battery wear). The cells I got are 8 x Samsung ICR18650-22B so they have a capacity of 2200mAh, 3.7V nominal voltage and and a max discharge current of 4.4A (not continous, I couldn't find that)

While my laptop broke I was in the progress of building my own vape. So I thought I could use these cells but knowing the dangers of exploding cells I decided on doing some research, some people have used laptop cells to vape without blowing themselves up but I saw that the majority of people discouraged the use of them mainly giving the reason of the very low discharge current.

So my question is would it be safe to connect say 4 of these cells in parallel with a coil of resistance 0.3Ohms so you draw 12.3A (3.075A from each cell) which is 70% of the max discharge current?

I have proper cells that I ordered for my vape as well as other components that I needed, So this is really just something I thought would work and don't see why most people discourage vaping with laptop cells? If I do test this out myself (if you guys say it would be safe) I will use a MOSFET and fuse just to make sure that I don't draw more than say 15A.

This may be in the wrong section, Please move (if possible) if it is xD

ICR batteries, bolded and colored above = absolute no no with a high current vape. ICR batteries are notorious for in actualitly going "BOOM" right in your face if they do decide to vent and go. I'd trust a LiPo pack close to my face before I trusted an ICR, all other batteries we suggest are IMR or INR chemistry. ICR in short equals a big no no, thus why you see do not use laptop batteries in a vape, there is the reason, most are ICR low CDR batteries to begin with.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You NEED 20 Amp CDR IMR or INR batteries to be safe and not over heat the batteries to the BOOM point. A regulated mod will usually shut down if the batteries can't keep, up a mech mod will keep trying to fire until smoke starts coming out.

Hopefully you watched the above video.

People sort of understand voltage but current/amps will kill you. You can get hit with a 15,000 volt taser because theirs almost no current but a couple of amps will burn you and across the chest will stop your heart no matter the voltage. Also the more amps the bigger the boom.

It's a bit simplistic but think of water in a hose; voltage is the flow of water, current is the pressure pushing it. Low pressure and the water will bounce off you but at high pressure it will knock you down.

Dexenthes

Unlisted Vendor
While this may theoretically be possible, it's tough to know how the batteries will react to higher amp draw, even if it's below their max amp output. I've had some laptop and phone charger 18650's get incredibly hot even at 2 amps discharge. You're better off buying some cells from a reputable seller.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I watched that video, nothing that I never about before.
Mooch basically says (what's related to me):
If you have a high ohm coil it's fine to have a low performing low current battery, he even said if you have a 1 Ohm coil you can even use a 10A battery.
Theoretically double the amps for parallel connections but to be safe half the other cell amps and add. using 87.5% of the other cells capacity is considered very safe.

So that 1 hour 10 minutes basically never answered anything. There were other very interesting things in there that I learnt but nothing answering my question.

From what he said, what I'm suggesting is considered very safe.

Please someone give me a mathematical/scientific reason as to why this isn't safe? I want something that's logical and makes sense not "hey don't use these batteries!"

I am taking this very seriously, If I wasn't I wouldn't have posted it on here and rather would have just tried what I wanted.

The only ones who gave a logical answer was @Dexenthes and @IMFire3605. @IMFire3605 but even then you don't say anything about whether staying in the appropriate limits (like I said) would be safe, which it should. If you don't push the batteries then there should be no risk for it exploding, you're not going above what the manufactures have rated (actually at 70% as I stated). seeing this is a genuine Samsung battery those limits in their data sheets should be accurate.

@Angrygod50 please don't spread false facts, I can't stand it when people say that voltage won't kill you. Voltage is directly proportional to current, increase the voltage you increase the current. You will survive say 10kV if you touch a live wire ONLY IF YOU'RE HANDS ARE DRY. your body has a very high resistance that's why it won't kill you, I'd like to see you survive when you touch a 10kV live wire when you're hands are wet, you drastically reduce the resistance in your body. Touch any thing with a high voltage and low load and you will die as the current will be too high for your body to handle. 0.2-0.3A will kill you as you go into respiratory failure.

Someone able to explain to me logically and/or scientifically please reply. I appreciate every ones responses and will consider them but they should be backed scientifically so prove what they're saying is legit. So far no one has mentioned anything that makes sense as to why I can't use these batteries.

Kind regards :)

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Laptops contain low drain ICRs not suitable for vaping.
If your laptop is old enough to be taken apart then the batteries in it are old enough to be thrown away.
Next.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, laptop batteries are for use in Laptops.

And flashlights.

Not for vaping.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Laptops contain low drain ICRs not suitable for vaping.
If your laptop is old enough to be taken apart then the batteries in it are old enough to be thrown away.
Next.

you clearly never read my post.
my laptop was 2 years old, It got bust while I was in the labs busy with a practical....

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guys please don't reply to this thread if you're not going to give a logical reason as to why I can't use these

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Assuming your builds are correct, your batteries are in good enough condition to handle the current draw and you've taken all necessary precautions to be safe. Then your 510 connection shorts. Are you ready for that one?

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Assuming your builds are correct, your batteries are in good enough condition to handle the current draw and you've taken all necessary precautions to be safe. Then your 510 connection shorts. Are you ready for that one?

That's why I said I'll have a fuse and MOSFET there to prevent things like that. Please read my post before posting, thank you.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've taken all precautions and seem to have it under control. Enjoy your vape!

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Go for it! Use them shits!!
You are a know it all wanting to argue and there are pages upon pages of the same question, but then again you think you know it all.

Leave vaping alone it is beyond you.

Lol, If I was a know it all, why would I post a question here? Show me one link or response here that shows me logically that these batteries are unsafe to use? that's the whole reason for me starting this thread, all others created have been illogical where everyone just says it's unsafe without giving any facts to prove so.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol, If I was a know it all, why would I post a question here? Show me one link or response here that shows me logically that these batteries are unsafe to use? that's the whole reason for me starting this thread, all others created have been illogical where everyone just says it's unsafe without giving any facts to prove so.
Because they are not the correct amps for vaping.
They have been soldered on and used under heavy load and not reliable or safe for vaping.
If you cannot understand that then go back to less confusing and safer things..
Like licking junky scabs, sucking off truckers in a truck stop, jerking off tigers, kicking killer bee hives, real life frogger on the highway or suck starting a 12ga. All would be safer and more correctly covered by the media about you blowing parts off your body.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clearly you are not here to listen to anyone else's reasoning, just to reinforce your own.
Guess you won't find what you're looking for here.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I should post the pics or why playing know it all fuck fuck games with batteries is a woefully fucking stupid idea.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because they are not the correct amps for vaping.
They have been soldered on and used under heavy load and not reliable or safe for vaping.
If you cannot understand that then go back to less confusing and safer things..
Like licking junky scabs, sucking off truckers in a truck stop, jerking off tigers, kicking killer bee hives, real life frogger on the highway or suck starting a 12ga. All would be safer and more correctly covered by the media about you blowing parts off your body.

that started off well then went down xD
so like I was saying if I connect 4 of these in parallel, I would theoretically have 17.6A to work with. Then is it not fine? Like mooch even said in that video, why even send me that link if we shouldn't listen to him?

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I should post the pics or why playing know it all fuck fuck games with batteries is a woefully fucking stupid idea.

Go ahead and post those but please only if you know the specification of the build he was using. What I'm saying is theoretically correct. So if someone that can point out what is not, I will gladly accept.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you connect 4 of those batteries in anything but a laptop battery you have 4x pipe bombs not a single waiting to blow your fucking face off.
Those motherfuckers need in the recycling bin not in use period.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you connect 4 of those batteries in anything but a laptop battery you have 4x pipe bombs not a single waiting to blow your fucking face off.
Those motherfuckers need in the recycling bin not in use period.

Once again a reply with no logic, no mathematical or scientific backing just blab

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_nmf1ytgbFU1us6chio1_500_zpschgomiau.gif

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Once again a reply with no logic, no mathematical or scientific backing just blab
Once again you do not grasp the BASIC understanding of the stuff you are fucking with.
4x batteries for vaping in the correct set up would be 80 amps not barely enough to power an led flash light.
but you want to argue.
I don't that is why I am advising you to put them motherfuckers in a mod build a .001 build and enjoy your brief time on this planet with your face intact.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol okay this is my last post I'm done here.
You guys are clearly just hobby vapers, no one with an actual qualification that can give scientific or mathematical reasoning.
Just keep saying one thing over and over again without logically saying why not, you guys will bring lovely children into this world... full of ignorance.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys are clearly just hobby vapers, no one with an actual qualification that can give scientific or mathematical reasoning.
Just keep saying one thing over and over again without logically saying why not, you guys will bring lovely children into this world... full of ignorance.
:wave::bomb:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just kill yourself in a different way than with a handful of batteries.
If by some miracle you cheat Darwin from his award enjoy your time in the burn unit.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
The way I have it figured.You already had your mind made up to try it. I can relate I once was 10 feet tall and bullet proof, now not so much.Hell I even did what you want to do With some exceptions. A long vaping time ago (Whole 6 years) All we had to work with was ICR Batteries Like Trustfire or Ultrafire So we were willing to try Batts. salvaged from laptops. But there are some major differences from then to now. What was considered low resistance was 2.4 ohms. Not the .3 ohms you mentioned. As batteries improved Like AW brand and When IMR came out ("A safer Chemistry") Human Nature took over and we started pushing the limits on them as we continue to do. So what will probably happen is that even if you start at higher ohms you probably won't get the satisfaction you want out of your vape. So Human Nature will take over and you will start pushing the limits until you give up or blow your lips off.
When IMR's first came out I remember seeing them priced at $18 a piece. Now they can be had for $4 Is the potential danger worth so little to you? If you do not want to see those Battery's go to waste get a 18650 flashlight and use them in there.
The main reasons everyone keeps telling you not to do it is because a lot of us have seen it before. You try and help someone with advice and they don't listen. Next you hear about them being injured and they are telling everyone. Why did no one warn me about the dangers of vaping (I have to sue to let everyone know). So if you do try it and something goes wrong Don't be that Guy. Good Luck!

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The way I have it figured.You already had your mind made up to try it. I can relate I once was 10 feet tall and bullet proof, now not so much.Hell I even did what you want to do With some exceptions. A long vaping time ago (Whole 6 years) All we had to work with was ICR Batteries Like Trustfire or Ultrafire So we were willing to try Batts. salvaged from laptops. But there are some major differences from then to now. What was considered low resistance was 2.4 ohms. Not the .3 ohms you mentioned. As batteries improved Like AW brand and When IMR came out ("A safer Chemistry") Human Nature took over and we started pushing the limits on them as we continue to do. So what will probably happen is that even if you start at higher ohms you probably won't get the satisfaction you want out of your vape. So Human Nature will take over and you will start pushing the limits until you give up or blow your lips off.
When IMR's first came out I remember seeing them priced at $18 a piece. Now they can be had for $4 Is the potential danger worth so little to you? If you do not want to see those Battery's go to waste get a 18650 flashlight and use them in there.
The main reasons everyone keeps telling you not to do it is because a lot of us have seen it before. You try and help someone with advice and they don't listen. Next you hear about them being injured and they are telling everyone. Why did no one warn me about the dangers of vaping (I have to sue to let everyone know). So if you do try it and something goes wrong Don't be that Guy. Good Luck!

I actually already have 18650's with the proper amps, Indeed I did think that I would be able to use these laptop cells I admit I had that intention (which I made obvious with this post).
But thank you this is mostly the answer I was looking for, If only we could have started answering like this in the first place it would have been a much more productive thread.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
@lacster I forgot to ask a question. Twice you have mentioned that you are using a fuse and a mosfet to protect yourself. My question is what exactly is the reason you think that modders put a mosfet in a mod for?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I actually already have 18650's with the proper amps, Indeed I did think that I would be able to use these laptop cells I admit I had that intention (which I made obvious with this post).
But thank you this is mostly the answer I was looking for, If only we could have started answering like this in the first place it would have been a much more productive thread.
Sorry special snowflake this is not a safe space for the fucking stupid.
Remember it is down the road not across the tracks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mosfets are to protect the switch not to keep the mod from blowing up.
Most mosfets will handle enough current long enough for a battery to go into thermal runaway.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@lacster I forgot to ask a question. Twice you have mentioned that you are using a fuse and a mosfet to protect yourself. My question is what exactly is the reason you think that modders put a mosfet in a mod for?

I never mentioned anywhere that the mosfet will be used to cutoff the power, that's the fuses job. Even if that isn't enough there's plenty of other over current protection systems that you could use to prevent the battery from drawing too much current.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry special snowflake this is not a safe space for the fucking stupid.
Remember it is down the road not across the tracks.

Lol just because you're a retard who can't answer someones questions with logic you have to result in using profanity. You're clearly a sheep, go follow your abc's.
Someone is indeed special ;)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just to recap..................

You came in and asked a valid question for a "Noob"

Not a particularly bright "Noob" but you did ask for the best advice we had to give. Most "Noob's have the wisdom and survival instinct to take our advice.

And we gave you our advice.

Which was NO! Don't Do IT. Not A Good Idea! You are gonna blow you face off!.

Or if you are going to carry this Laptop Battery Bomb in your pant's to impress the ladies................(BTW the ladies ain't that retarded)

Then you get what you deserve.

No future generations of you!

Which is a really great thing for future of the human race!

Combined, (including all of the members that have replied and given you advice and their mentors and their mentor's )you probably have about 100+ years of vaping wisdom in front of your offset beady little eyes.

And when we say this is not a good idea, you scream for freaking Mathematical Proof!

I propose an experiment.

Go out to your car (or your mother's car) and put a rag saturated with gasoline in the fuel port.

Then come back and ask us if it is a good idea to light it since you want to be warm tonight.

We (well the other members anyway as at this point I will encourage you to not only light the match but will ask you to get into the freaking car and lock the doors) will tell you it is a bad idea and don't do it.

But you want MATHEMATICAL PROOF THAT THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA!

Find a neighbor that smokes and borrow a lighter.

Have your next of kin tell us how this worked out for you.

VU Sponsors