Become a Patron!

Kylin Mini RTA Leaking when filling

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I followed Vape Fan's advice of "burping" it after filling, turning it upside down with the cap almost threaded.

This morning I did exactly that and it leaked like a sieve out of the air holes. I'd say 1/8 of the bubble tank worth of juice. What the hell did I do wrong?

Is there a method to doing this that I'm not aware of? I don't get how it could have leaked out of the airholes when they were closed until I had it upright. It's working fine now but I'm dreading refilling the bitch now.

Thank you, as always.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine has only leaked when I first got it because I had too much cotton and interfered with the threads. I never heard anybody turning tank upside down with cap on loosely. You shouldn't have to burp tank after filling because there is no air yet. Once tank is down a ways then it could be useful to burp it. Either turn upside down or open cap not both. Turning upside down is the method I like. If it still leaks you may not have enough wick.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine has only leaked when I first got it because I had too much cotton and interfered with the threads. I never heard anybody turning tank upside down with cap on loosely. You shouldn't have to burp tank after filling because there is no air yet. Once tank is down a ways then it could be useful to burp it. Either turn upside down or open cap not both. Turning upside down is the method I like. If it still leaks you may not have enough wick.

09e6298074429f8344576201767526f1.jpg

I cut some away last week and tucked it into a dam-like shape per Kingpin’s thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
09e6298074429f8344576201767526f1.jpg

I cut some away last week and tucked it into a dam-like shape per Kingpin’s thread.

There’s gaps in your wicking there

as per my guide I pancake and fill the area... I haven’t bothered burping it just close afc

6182658E-3C85-4A0B-8B34-E92503A13C8E.jpeg

Moved post to relevant area

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That pic was before I re-wicked it. I forgot I did it one night. I’ll take a Picture later so you can see if I did it wrong.

I put this in my backpack operate and wrapped it in a napkin with the airflow closed and I was super careful with the backpack. House-Jeep-Work. Kylin RTA stays with me LOL.

This is what it looks like when I take it out.

325cc9a86cf9ee81b98a80c05febd1d6.jpg

Grrrrrrr

9722da080dcf92025c5c162bac94e03f.jpeg

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That pic was before I re-wicked it. I forgot I did it one night. I’ll take a Picture later so you can see if I did it wrong.

I put this in my backpack operate and wrapped it in a napkin with the airflow closed and I was super careful with the backpack. House-Jeep-Work. Kylin RTA stays with me LOL.

This is what it looks like when I take it out.

325cc9a86cf9ee81b98a80c05febd1d6.jpg

Grrrrrrr

9722da080dcf92025c5c162bac94e03f.jpeg
Oh no :eek: we’ll see when you post your pic, but I would rewick it & try to get like @KingPin! pic.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I followed Vape Fan's advice of "burping" it after filling
drag.png
:devil: :kickbutt: :giggle:
Yeah, all things KM are wicking. The bottom seal is crappy too, it sticks to the glass when taking it apart, and it didn't stay flat from the start and haven't looked thru other spares for a better one yet. Not leaking there, but a pain and a wider harder gasket would have been better. I found that for me, I refill it to about the top of the bubble part of the glass, leaving a void at the top, and that has resolved any "leak when filled" I may or may not have had.
editx2: I always burp since it's better than the possible alternative.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I did say I wanted to throw it at the wall lol, it’s a pain in the ass ...one of those once you nail it it’s fine but until then it’s a headache

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After rewicking it, I think I solved the issue. I am half asleep so hopefully this works.

I trimmed a tiny bit more so set screws are visible. (After pics were taken).

b81c82270371d3537020c3006c303b18.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
As long as whole area is sealed by gently pressing the cotton out flat, you should be good ...you shouldn’t have and gaps in the sides of the channel once saturated

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you look at the pictures I believe I did what you said. When I got to work today there was no leaking so that’s good news.

Bad news is one of my snowblowers need some work done and it’s going to snow 8 to 12 inches so they say. FUN.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again. Installed Frailian today. Yay.

Filled it on top of mod. Forgot to flip it to get the vacuum effect. Leaked 1/4 of the tank.

Just now, I took the goddamn tank off and filled it on top of my Kbox 120 which I don’t use anymore. Put the cap on, flipped it upside down. Opened airholes.

.... and 1/4 leaked out of the drip tip. I ALMOST threw it in the trash.

What the actual fuc*!?!?

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 106781
:devil: :kickbutt: :giggle:
Yeah, all things KM are wicking. The bottom seal is crappy too, it sticks to the glass when taking it apart, and it didn't stay flat from the start and haven't looked thru other spares for a better one yet. Not leaking there, but a pain and a wider harder gasket would have been better. I found that for me, I refill it to about the top of the bubble part of the glass, leaving a void at the top, and that has resolved any "leak when filled" I may or may not have had.
editx2: I always burp since it's better than the possible alternative.

Of course I see this now. I filled it probably 7/8 of the way. I’ll try this next before re-wicking it. What a pain in the ass , even for a backup vape.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wicked mine like you guys are doing. I didn't have any leaks but looks like my wick is a hair longer. My wick ends right at top of the wicking holes

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just checked and there was a gap on one of the sides. Re-wicked to create that dam again and hopefully this works.

00689aa49fcb30f25fd63c008e6159e5.jpg

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want to speak too soon, but I think that was the issue. If there's a slight gap in the channel, it'll leak like a sieve.

I plugged it good but not too much and filled it 1/2 way. No leaks, just a little spitback which goes away.

Oh Kylin Mini

lxJpl.gif

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Refill #2. No leak.

Kingpin! was right, it is a major PITA to wick.

But once you get it right, not sure how I even managed to do so, it is perfect.

I am hitting it at 80w, .16ohm Fralian coil. Seems high to me but it is a beefy coil and it hits just right.

The coil:

30c87cec782dc04b78746ab16cb2b530.jpg

19ae233c10d14ac44f1456a12b549cfd.jpg

Kylin Mini, I win this time

7fcYTA7.gif

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Refill #2. No leak.

Kingpin! was right, it is a major PITA to wick.

But once you get it right, not sure how I even managed to do so, it is perfect.

I am hitting it at 80w, .16ohm Fralian coil. Seems high to me but it is a beefy coil and it hits just right.

The coil:

30c87cec782dc04b78746ab16cb2b530.jpg

19ae233c10d14ac44f1456a12b549cfd.jpg

Kylin Mini, I win this time

7fcYTA7.gif

Yay!!!!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Wow! Too hot for me :p maybe it is the beefy, beefy coils :D

Agree with hearts the beefier the coil the more wattage you need to heat them/ also the hotter the atty gets.... fraliens take a bit of power to get going don’t panic if it’s vaping nice on your regulated mod jobs a gooden

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m not getting much of a flavor out of it now. Is it possible used too much cotton?

93339cc94b860315ab7fa7b3acd81e37.jpg
4c0356ca38409037cc4dfb473efbf995.jpg

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick looks plenty saturated maybe you're using too much wattage. Maybe try re-wicking mine sometimes gets broken inside the coil. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong it just seems to be the cotton I'm using.
I’m not getting much of a flavor out of it now. Is it possible used too much cotton?

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick looks plenty saturated maybe you're using too much wattage. Maybe try re-wicking mine sometimes gets broken inside the coil. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong it just seems to be the cotton I'm using.

Possible.

I’ll drop it down to 70w.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile

Your coils are gunked up, clean em and you'll get better flavor, i can see that crusted sugar from here lol. Your wicks are flat like a pan cake, while the cotton is saturated this will take much longer for the juice to travel. I would consider fluffing the tails out a bit more next time you wick.

Even if using kingpins wicking method or mine, I don't think any of us has such overhang on the bottom or to the sides, which could be the problem of your leaking as well, closing the airflow when filling does help preventing that too.

Maybe I'm wrong since I don't have it here and just looking at a picture, but that's all the things I noticed right off the bat.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your coils are gunked up, clean em and you'll get better flavor, i can see that crusted sugar from here lol. Your wicks are flat like a pan cake, while the cotton is saturated this will take much longer for the juice to travel. I would consider fluffing the tails out a bit more next time you wick.

Even if using kingpins wicking method or mine, I don't think any of us has such overhang on the bottom or to the sides, which could be the problem of your leaking as well, closing the airflow when filling does help preventing that too.

Maybe I'm wrong since I don't have it here and just looking at a picture, but that's all the things I noticed right off the bat.

I just installed that coil 6 days ago. Wtf. 3-4 refills (30ml Max).

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I just installed that coil 6 days ago. Wtf. 3-4 refills (30ml Max).

Depending what juice you're using you'll have to clean them on a daily basis or at least once every 3-5 days. I don't know what to tell ya lol. Maybe its not the issue, but if you got flavor prior and now all the sudden you don't, its not the issue of too much cotton, you would have noticed that prior already after a couple of hits. Cotton to me looks broken in, so unless you use a flavorless juice you should be getting flavor, based on the looks of the cotton I mean.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last thing I want to do on a Friday night. Eh I’m a glutton for punishment.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Last thing I want to do on a Friday night. Eh I’m a glutton for punishment.

I think cleaning hardware and rewicking every atomizer on a Friday night is very relaxing and keeps you out of trouble as well as spending too much money in a bar/pub/restaurant. Saturdays mixing juices for the week and playing with flavors. Sunday movies. Monday back too work.

Sounds like an amazing weekend to me, sadly I don't have that luxury lol

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3f01d56fb66b85ff2c8c0c0b4cf69184.jpg

Well I’m done now, I forgot I uploaded this picture and didn’t post it. Hits like a champ, but juice did burn the back of my throat even at 50w. Every goddamn time. I usually roll up a napkin and stuff it halfway down , fire it , let it spit into that, and I’m good. Oh well, I told my fiancé if this leaks it’s going out the window. It didn’t.

Edit. I never take a picture of it primed because I always wear gloves. I hate juice. New England winters already dry my hands out enough.

I primed it. Stuffed it into the deck like Kingpin, and cut my cotton shorter. I can see both screws now.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Even with Kingpin's wick, I think your cotton, at least before your last wicking(post#20), was too thick up around the coil.

Heres another way that works. Wicks like no tomorrow. 25ml and under tank is dry as a bone. Seeing the screw behind the amber colored and juiced cotton shows you how much cotton is there. Not a lot. But it does go to the bottom of the channel, and it doesn't stick out beyond the side of the deck because the threads will catch the wick and possibly disturb it. So for all intent and purpose, the wick in the channel method does the same thing as the method without it in channel. One may be easier for some than others.
SIDE TRIMMED.jpg FLUFFED END.jpg JUICED END.jpg

Last edited:

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
I can say I’ve never had my kylin mini leak, But I watched a ton of videos of people wicking this thing.

However, I have never had a device gunk up the coils as quickly as this one. I can run my Zeus for a week before the coils get funky. The kylin is needing cleaning almost daily.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can say I’ve never had my kylin mini leak, But I watched a ton of videos of people wicking this thing.

However, I have never had a device gunk up the coils as quickly as this one. I can run my Zeus for a week before the coils get funky. The kylin is needing cleaning almost daily.

My Kylin dual doesn’t need to be though and that juice , Watermallow, is also sweet. I switched from Strawmallow to Swedish Fish, it’s less sweet and almost clear. I’ll try and find it online somewhere.

https://vapethenostalgia.com/products/fish-e-liquid

I got the wick perfect this time though. I occasionally got a dry hit after a few seconds with the last wick. This time , nope. I still use my Kylin more than the KM though. More kick

I still want another RTA. Maybe top airflow or something. Leaking is definitely caused by too little cotton or not making the dam completely plug the deck. I’m at 70w now, same coil. .16ohm framed staple alien coil.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

But cleaning the coil requires rewicking, right ? Again , I’m new to RTAs.

VU Sponsors