Become a Patron!

Keep on keeping on.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I made a post in the light at the end of the tunnel thread. I realized that thread helps many people and offers a lot of support.

Not being a addict I still know many of the life struggles that come with. I was crippled with mental illness. I was 21 and had no touch with reality. It happened with in a month. I went from a normal 20 year old with some long term depression issues to a 21 year old guy who couldn't take care of him self in a month. Us, that's right. It happened right at my 21st birthday. Ironic because most serious mental illness hits between 21 and 30.

Anyway long story short after 10 years of therapy and literally more medications than I could count, I started college, and I have a family that I take care of. There is a such thing as miracles. Call it what you will or say it is a gift from who you want, but I should have never recovered to a point of just being able to be alone with my illness, let alone be where I am today.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with the same support system as the light at the end of the tunnel thread for people who suffer from mental illness. Be it a simple bad day you need to vent about, depression, bi polar or what ever it may be.

I do not know if this thread will go anywhere or not, but I thought it should here for people who need/want to use it to reach out for support or companionship.

Last edited:

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't think to many people like to fess up about there mental issues due to "social stigma" but I for one don't give a fuck what other people think but first let me thank you for having the balls to say what you did and for starting this thread...I have been dealing with depression on and off since I was in my mid 20's (49 now) and only took Antidepressants when really needed, winters for the most part but it has hit me at other times... almost to the day this time last year I hit a real bad point both internally and environmentally ( external soures )...So as normal what I did in the past I headed for the DR to start a Antidepressant...But this time he sends me to a psychiatrist ..well to cut a long story short I found out I have Cyclothymic Disorder or as some like to call it even myself Bipolar III with a underlying depression... Compared with bipolar disorder I or II, the highs and lows of bipolar III are less extreme..So as of last year I have been on a very low dose of Tegretol and a very low dose on Zoloft and I haven't felt this good in years...The Tegretol started to work withing a hour...Well that's my story..I hope this thread helps anyone who is feeling down for unknown reasons and know there is hope out there...I may also add a pill isn't a magic bullet at times and you may need to seek therapy too especially if your depression is from a external source (Circumstance Depression)

Some info on Cyclothymic Disorder (Bipolar III)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cyclothymia/basics/definition/con-20028763

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't think to many people like to fess up about there mental issues due to "social stigma" but I for one don't give a fuck what other people think but first let me thank you for having the balls to say what you did and for starting this thread...I have been dealing with depression on and off since I was in my mid 20's (49 now) and only took Antidepressants when really needed, winters for the most part but it has hit me at other times... almost to the day this time last year I hit a real bad point both internally and environmentally ( external soures )...So as normal what I did in the past I headed for the DR to start a Antidepressant...But this time he sends me to a psychiatrist ..well to cut a long story short I found out I have Cyclothymic Disorder or as some like to call it even myself Bipolar III with a underlying depression... Compared with bipolar disorder I or II, the highs and lows of bipolar III are less extreme..So as of last year I have been on a very low dose of Tegretol and a very low dose on Zoloft and I haven't felt this good in years...The Tegretol started to work withing a hour...Well that's my story..I hope this thread helps anyone who is feeling down for unknown reasons and know there is hope out there...I may also add a pill isn't a magic bullet at times and you may need to seek therapy too especially if your depression is from a external source (Circumstance Depression)

Some info on Cyclothymic Disorder (Bipolar III)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cyclothymia/basics/definition/con-20028763

That is one of the beautiful things about this thread. 99% of us will never meet face to face. There is a certain level of unanimous identity. I looked at the light at the end of the tunnel and seen the support and the good it was doing. I also recognized the lack of judgement from other. I share my story with a lot of people to let them know there is hope. If I can get to where I am in life from where I started, many other can as well. Many people feel defeated before they try. The lack of hope and the stigma attached to mental illness cripples many and stunts their growth. We have as a society set forth movements to cement political correctness and be aware of others feeling and disorders. Yet, even with all the laws and so on we see one major area that has not fallen under that umbrella. Mental illness is still the butt of the joke and made a mockery of.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think the few things that would really help...Bring the so called "Health care system" from 37th in the world up a bit maybe to #1 plus the U.S. has the most expensive healthcare system in the world..Bring the cost down...The US has one of the highest rates of mental health also in the world...With those numbers and rankings and being a "Super power" you would think we would be doing better for people with mental heath...Especially being a Gun society...You can see this from the statistics of suicides from our troops coming home...We as a country should be ashamed..I know this is from 2012 but it hasn't really got any better for them
U.S. Military's Suicide Rate Surpassed Combat Deaths In 2012
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-suicide-rate-surpassed-combat-deaths-in-2012

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thought I'd pop by and say hi.
Mental health issues and addiction have many, many things in common and frequently overlap.
Neither my wife or I hide the fact that we are both recovering addicts but she suffered from almost crippling depression as well. It's not as bad as it used to be, but there are still days that she struggles to make it through work then comes home and holes up in the bedroom.
I try my best to give her the time and space that she needs for it to pass. It's all I can do for her.
When I was drinking, so many people said, 'Why don't you just quit?' but that's like telling someone suffering from depression to, 'Snap out of if.'
It doesn't work that way and too many people just don't get that.
Thanks for the thread and I wish you all the best!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yep, I fit in here too. Depression took over my life a few years ago.
Thankfully things are better now but I still have those days from time to time.

Best of luck with your thread, I'll be watching...

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The snow really isn't helping.
Yup. I agree. We got 4 inches. Just 4 inches and they cancelled school. Now I'm stuck at home with a 3 yr old.

Now that's depressing... Lol.

On a serious note, Seasonal Affective Disorder can be just as debilitating as full-blown depression and it's tough to watch loved ones go through it. I know it's far worse for them and I don't want to minimize their situation, but I feel so powerless to help them.
Any suggestions on what I can do to ease what they are dealing with?

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am taking vitamin d daily and staying in bed in front of my sun lamp. However I have to go to work and its proving difficult to drag my ass out of bed and then actually remain focused long enough to do my job before having an emotional breakdown.
Even so I end up having at least one crying fit a day. Oddly enough it makes me feel better at least temporarily

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The best thing I can suggest is helping with household chores because I'm too tired and depressed to even think about it right now, but it still needs done

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Even making lunch or taking a bath is too much work and I can't even force myself to

I know the feeling. It is sad. Lately I have been meh. When It takes all you have in you to load the dishwasher and get a shower, life is defiantly rough. I just try to keep pushing and make my self do it. I have school and homework on top of it.

There is a Buddhist monk I can not remember how to say his name let alone spell it. He talks about washing the dishes simply to wash the dishes. If you wash you dish, you should be aware of it, not hurry to finish it. If you rush the cup to make the tea, then you will rush the tea to do other tasks. There fore, you can not enjoy the cup of tea you took the time to washed the cup for. Basically he says we have to live in that moment. If we live in that moment (it isn't easy and I can't do it all the time either) we worry less about the next moment. Then when it comes we can deal with it. It is about small steps toward a long goal. Washing a cup, boiling the water, pouring it, opening a teabag steeping the tea and adding sugar seems like a big ordeal for a cup of tea. If we focus on and find as much pleasure in each step without rushing it, that task becomes less threatening.

We have to look at the tree and not fear the forest. Being lost in the forest can be scary, but if you calm, look at the tree and find the moss on it and pay attention to your surroundings, you can find your way out with as little fear as possible.

Google fu is strong lol. His name is Thich Nhat Hanh. Reading his stuff has helped me deal with some of the daily things we have to do, when it isn't the easiest to do.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yup. I agree. We got 4 inches. Just 4 inches and they cancelled school. Now I'm stuck at home with a 3 yr old.

Now that's depressing... Lol.

On a serious note, Seasonal Affective Disorder can be just as debilitating as full-blown depression and it's tough to watch loved ones go through it. I know it's far worse for them and I don't want to minimize their situation, but I feel so powerless to help them.
Any suggestions on what I can do to ease what they are dealing with?

We got 6ish. It sucks. I do not like the summer, but I do not like the winter either. Spring and fall are my favorite time of year, fall more so. Well, except the years we have way to much rain.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing like a 'Good Morning' bump to start the day!

Wait- that came out wrong-

Nothing like a good bump to start the morning...?

Heck with it. You know what I mean.
I hope you are all doing well and have a wonderful day!

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nothing like a 'Good Morning' bump to start the day!

Wait- that came out wrong-

Nothing like a good bump to start the morning...?

Heck with it. You know what I mean.
I hope you are all doing well and have a wonderful day!

Even taking that the wrong way is still an accurate statement.

VU Sponsors