box mod or mech mod?

• Total voters

proveit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I consider myself an intermediate builder/ vape enthusiast. As my collection continues to grow, and i continue to build, I am getting better and better each day.

I love the throat hit, clouds and flavor I get from dripping; however I burn through juice and I can easily get obsessed with rebuilding.

Please tell me why I'd benefit from using an RTA (kayfun) over a RDA (patriot v2). Are the builds more challenging? All i hear about kayfuns are that they leak. To be honest...I was always against making the move to modding. I was in it to quit smoking and the basic e-leaf starter kit worked fine. As soon as i moved to kanger tanks and the gurgling, leaking, and FRUSTRATION became unmanageable, i couldn't fathom purchasing another leaking ego- tank again..Once I made the switch, the obsession got real, and it was game over.

I am a huge variable watt mod box guy. I do not smoke regular mods anymore. And often see the big guys like phil b and rip t using kayfuns on these box mods...

Please help so I can make the best decision. Which one do I get? I'm sick of spending a ton of money. Any affordable WORKING RTAs out there? Is it a good investment? Do i lose flavor quickly like regular tanks? Do they all leak? Basically, i like convince. my sigeli 100 will be here tomorrow and I want to be able to smoke with out changing the batteries often, and dripping 30 ml's in one day. What are your solutions?

todays setup..... :)

Thanks28 g twisted.JPGhana 30.JPG

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kayfun has a limited e-liquid flow and restricted air flow, which means you can't push it as hard as you can an RDA.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i can push my moded kayfun pretty hard. right now I'm running a .5ohm coil but my orchid beats it hands down in airflow even with the kayfun moded. When I get my V4 the kayfun's will just be used for tank cracking juice.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For simplicity RDA's rule imo , Kayfun's are a great topper but need to be fully broken down to adjust or replace the coil or wick . Better airflow with most RDA's as well .

A Kayfun is certainly better than most tanks and do provide far better taste but new stuff like the Orchids are expanding on that. An RDA's biggest disadvantage is needing to refill more often and most tend to leak a bit if they aren't handled carefully and carrying them around is a little more of a hassle .

RDA's like the Veritas are an improvement in regards to limiting leakage.

proveit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well i got my orchid. i thought i love it but its already leaking. what can i do to prevent that?orchid.jpg

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well i got my orchid. i thought i love it but its already leaking. what can i do to prevent that?View attachment 8090
leaking will happen if you tilt it to it's side because of where the air hole is positioned. it will leak no matter what. if it's leaking during filling I found that I was over filling. I now fill until the air bubble just disappears under the tank end. no more leaking. but laying it on it's side is a no go it will leak. but I'm used to a genesis and keep my mods standing up.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't know what I am doing right.

My Kayfuns do not leak after what I call the filling cycle where they normally do shed a drop or two of E-Liquid. Once the vacuum is built up, no leaks even if I lay them down.

Leaving one in a hot car is a different matter so you just have to make a point of not doing that!

Dudditz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have several different kayfuns and overall they all vape similar, some have better air flow, some don't leak out the air holes in a hot enviornment however they all have a similar vape which is good for a single coil. If you want to simulate a dripper the Orchid V4 is the closest I have experinced. In fact I can not tell a difference between my orchid dual coil .5 ohm vs the same build on a magma. I still vape my kayfuns as I don't always want the intensity the orchid provides however I find myself more and more using the Orchid V4 over the kayfuns. The Orchid hits so hard compared to a kayfun I actually prefer half the level of nicotine I would usually use in the kayfun.

After or orchids and foggers and countless other rba's im officially drip only. We have rbta's now like thw big dripper so for me its a no brainer. No more endless futzing. No more leaks. No more bs.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
leaking will happen if you tilt it to it's side because of where the air hole is positioned. it will leak no matter what. if it's leaking during filling I found that I was over filling. I now fill until the air bubble just disappears under the tank end. no more leaking. but laying it on it's side is a no go it will leak. but I'm used to a genesis and keep my mods standing up.
Nonsense! A properly filled RTA does not leak if on it's side. A properly filled RTA does not leak...full stop.
UOLximj.png

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When i was talking about leakage i was referring to the comment below and many RDA's , i have not had leakage from a Kayfun either if you fill it correctly.

well i got my orchid. i thought i love it but its already leaking. what can i do to prevent that?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Some RDAs are notorious for leakage (ahemPLUME VEILahem)...I have found minimal if any leakage in my Doges and Vulcans....a wee bit from my Veritas.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I love my Siggy...and I plan on loving my God Box.......but for NO FAIL vaping, I love my Wizard Box/Doge
20GQjFo.png

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Man that wood is gorgeous is that Zebrawood or?
Black Palm. The friend that made that is building me a BlackOak inspired box from the same wood.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
He made five of that design, each in a different exotic wood.....mine is serial #002. The BlackOak one will be #2 of 2
IsPrQKp.png

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm a fairly new Orchid user, but have never had any leaking issues. As a matter of fact, I stopped using the bottom fill hole as I find top filling so much more efficient and doesn't cause my tank to flood as it would if I tried the same thing with a Kayfun.

Wick the Orchid properly, and you can lay it on its side, or upside down for that matter and not worry about leaking.

mswi1.jpg

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love my Siggy...and I plan on loving my God Box.......but for NO FAIL vaping, I love my Wizard Box/Doge
20GQjFo.png

Damn man that is sweet as hell , i would probably kill for that lol.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Black Palm. The friend that made that is building me a BlackOak inspired box from the same wood.

Whats the chances this guy might entertain the possibility of adding a friend in the future , any current friends on their way out by chance ?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nonsense! A properly filled RTA does not leak if on it's side. A properly filled RTA does not leak...full stop.
UOLximj.png

you are wrong. J/K I rewicked my orchid and kayfun and put some cotton at the top of the juice channel and it doesn't seem to be leaking, not on filling or after vaping.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Whats the chances this guy might entertain the possibility of adding a friend in the future , any current friends on their way out by chance ?
I will make a note on that! What I do know, is that #002 will be the only one in that style of 5 that will be in Black Palm....and the BlackOak one will only be a run of two.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will make a note on that! What I do know, is that #002 will be the only one in that style of 5 that will be in Black Palm....and the BlackOak one will only be a run of two.

I'm not picky , i would be satisfied if it was spray lacquered plywood.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
one common source for a leaking RTA is placing the coil(s) too close to the air hole(s). you obviously dont want it too far away either, but placing the coil too close to the air hole causes leaking because youre basically wicking into the air hole(s). i suggest to keep the coil around 2mm or so off the deck.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I make a habit of placing my coils slightly above the air flow if at all possible
2Vq94yQ.png

t9hDOid.png

I like them NICE AND HIGH.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have no leakage issues with my plume veil for 15-20 drops depending on wickage. But I just ordered a big dripper and am looking forward to it.

proveit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
can someone please tell me the 100% proper way to fill my orchid v3. step by step from a member that has absolutely no issues. thanks so much

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
remove from mod. remove screw. place dropper bottle tip in hole. squeeze until the bubble just goes under the bottom tank ring. stop squeezing. remove bottle tip from hole. screw in screw. attach to the mod. vape. no leaks.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
remove from mod. remove screw. place dropper bottle tip in hole. squeeze until the bubble just goes under the bottom tank ring. stop squeezing. remove bottle tip from hole. screw in screw. attach to the mod. vape. no leaks.
If you still have leakage during this, cover your air wholes when filling.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you still have leakage during this, cover your air wholes when filling.
actually, I have found if I still have leaking bottom filling it's because I'm over filling and the juice is over flowing into the chimney. that is why i only fill til the bubble just hides under the bottom ring. never leak a drop. then i leave it on it's side all day long and never once leak a single drop. but I also have good wicking in the juice channels. just enough to plug the channel but not too much to choke it off. it's trial and error. the orchid used to leak when I first got it but i learned and moved on.

VU Sponsors