Become a Patron!

Kanthal Builds

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Was wondering what i can do with 20 ga kanthal a1 wire? New to building Coils started about 3 weeks ago so far iv just made normal coils and spaced coils seem to work pretty good but would like to get into more involved builds.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Really depends on what you are building this in. RDA, RTA, etc.
A decent build using 20g KA1 may look like this.

.25Ω p/coil -- 20g KA1 6/5 wrap on a 3mm ID jig
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.25&awg=20&id=3

would like to get into more involved builds
If your looking to get into building, I would recommend picking up some more wire gauge variations. Wire is relatively inexpensive, and you can start out with small spools (50' or 100') of the common core gauge and some 250' > 500' of thinner gauge wire if you want to get into Clapton coils. With the right tools, Clapton coils are dead simple to produce and give an outstanding vape.

When I first got into building, I started with the following basic inventory of wire because I knew I was going to want to learn more advanced builds. If your a little tight on $$$, just pickup a little KA1 24g, 26g, 32g. These alone will serve you very well for advanced builds.
  • 24g KA1, Ni80, SS316L @ 100'
  • 26g KA1, Ni80, SS316L @ 100'
  • 28g KA1, Ni80, SS316L @ 100'
  • 32g KA1, Ni80, SS316L @ 250' (wrap wire)
Here is a thread that I started for manufacturer / vendors of wire.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wire-quality-sources.310245/

Here is a thread that another of our members started wanting information on good tools to start more advanced builds.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/tools-to-create-more-advanced-coils.311539/

Last edited:

mfawazs

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Was wondering what i can do with 20 ga kanthal a1 wire? New to building Coils started about 3 weeks ago so far iv just made normal coils and spaced coils seem to work pretty good but would like to get into more involved builds.
if you have some KA 26g as well try 7 wraps parallel build KA20g with KA26g. each coil should ohm about 0.24
(http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html)
22mm RDA will not fit this build properly, you will need a 24 mm and higher

Geekay Vapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting, the lowest gauge I bothered to buy was 22g and hardly use it lol..

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think I'm going to try my hand at making a clapton wire going to us 22g kanthal a1 and 32get kanthal see how it goes tonight I'll even make a video to post to my youtube channel. Wish me luck!

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did it 22g kanthal a1 core with 32g kanthal a1 wrapped around took me two tries. Once I figured how to hold the wire in the drill went fast and smooth. Made to 6in rods did 5 wrap on 3mm screw driver for my freakshow v2 RDA (.21ohms) and 6 wrap 3mm coils for my tfv8 cloud beast (.26ohms). Both working better then expected very pleased with myself.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
wow, 22/32.. thats a lot of metal. Hows the ramp up on it? I normally use 24/36 or 26/36. Occasionally I will clapton with 34 for outter, but I find ramp sucks more power and t=with the smaller gauge wrap there are a LOT more cracks and crevices for juice to enter and get vaporized so way better flavor. My favorite build is dual core 26 claptoned with 36. Rocking that in my 30mm supreme, dual coils, 5mm 7 wraps.

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not noticing any ramp but then I am using it at 120ws so heats up pretty quick well no the first hit is weak but after that awesome

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors