Become a Patron!

Kangertech Sub Tank Mini RBA ?

Hilfiger

Member For 4 Years
I hope someone can help me :)

I have Subtank Mini with installed 0.5 OCC Coil and a Box MOD with maximum 30W.

Normally i vape from 15-20W. The Problem is the tank uses really much juice. Its not like my Aspire Nauitilis or other tank. The second thing is....i vape like i do when i smoke. So....first mouth and lung inhale. Sometimes i really get some throat hit and cough. Its hard to vape. And i dont like direct lung inhale.

I tried with 1.2 OCC Coil its almost the same.

I havent touched the RBA thing yet.

Will i get better taste with RBA ?
Will the RBA help my problem ?
Will it reduce my ejuice using ?

I'm really confused....if this problem continues i'm maybe will be selling this tank :-((

Plz
Help

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright so it sounds like you've been vaping off the Nautilus for a while, I'm going to assume you're using the same juice in the subtank? If so what Nic content are you using? The subtank is going to go through juice fast, what you get in return is more flavor and more vapor per hit. It vaporizes more juice per hit then the nautilus so you're going to get a stronger hit and if your nic content is too high it's going to give you a pretty gnarly throat hit.

I started out at 12mg/ml with my nautilus mini and once I got a dripper and my subtank mini it was way too much to use. I dropped down to 3mg/ml and that is working great for me. The subtank really powers through juice, if I'm chain vaping at work I can go through a tank and half to 2 tanks. I don't think using the RBA will reduce you juice consumption but it may increase your flavor xP

Melicious

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I switched from the nautilus to the subtank mini and there were a few days of adjusting before my lungs could handle a hit without a coughing fit. Start with your wattage at the lowest setting (if you're using a variable) and as Mike said reduce your nic. I started on the nautilus with 12mg and I'm down to 1.5 using the rba. Unfortunately you're going to go through more juice with the subtank than the nautilus which is why I make my own now.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm having a similar problem. I am so used to mouth to lung inhales. I can't handle the high heat, either. I was hoping that I could build a bit higher with the rba. Also, closing down the air flow would help. But, my juices ar too high nic and too much flavor. I feel like the vaping world is leaving me behind. That isn't a good thing as we can't forget about smokers who want to convert. I've had several cough on just my little old pro tank 2.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm having a similar problem. I am so used to mouth to lung inhales. I can't handle the high heat, either. I was hoping that I could build a bit higher with the rba. Also, closing down the air flow would help. But, my juices ar too high nic and too much flavor. I feel like the vaping world is leaving me behind. That isn't a good thing as we can't forget about smokers who want to convert. I've had several cough on just my little old pro tank 2.

I don't think the industry is leaving you or people like you behind like you are thinking. I think you may have acquired a Subtank thinking it was for you, but it really isn't. The Subtank is exactly what its name says, a sub-ohm tank. Yes it does come with a 1.2ohm coil, I know. Running that 1.2ohm coil at around 15watts shouldn't be high heat vapor at all. You can also close the air flow completely on the Subtank Mini for the best feel of a mouth-to-lung hit. The newer subtanks are mainly designed for sub-ohm vaping and also straight lung hits. The industry still has the Protanks, eGrips, starter kits, etc, things like the Aerotank v2 and stuff like that available for those who still choose to use high nic juices and mouth-to-lung hit. It's an ever changing industry yes, but just stick to what you know works for you. If the Protank was doing it, then you don't need to upgrade to the newest latest greatest thing. That's more for the hobbiest and the people who the aforementioned products aren't working for. I know it's hard to resist the temptation, especially with the marketing and everyone talking about the new products, but again, just stick with what is working for you. If you want to make it your hobby trying the new things out, great. If you aren't satisfied with what you are using, then by all means look into the new stuff, but remember not everything is for everyone. There are still newer things out there that are geared towards high nic vapors who enjoy mouth-to-lung hits...things like the eGrip. There's not a lot of newer stuff that fits that category because the vaping industry is following the money which right now is where the hobbiest are going which is the subtanks, high wattage mods, temp control, etc.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I totally agree. My favorite setup atm is my older taifuns on an original kbox. I can build however I like and the air flow is perfect. Building at around 1 ohm or so works great. I suppose it has been this way for a while as drippers were all the rage. Dripping is fine for tasting, but otherwise, it is too much work. We each need to find what works best for us. I may grow to like my subtank if I use the rba, build at 1+ and close down the air. However, I took the cheap way out and got the fasttech version, which doesn't come with the rba or the 1+ head.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty much all the points have been covered, but to recap:

1. The Subtank isn't much of a mouth-to-lung hitter, it's more for mid-to-high air draws. You'll have to use the smallest holes, and that may be too open a draw for you. Someone suggested closing them completely, which might work - mine is full-open all the time and I still like my airer Arctic better.

2. Subtanks drink juice, no matter what coil you use. The higher-resistance ones may burn a bit less, but they're specifically designed to use lots of juice - you need more juice + more power to = more clouds, and these devices mainly appeal to people who like big clouds. You can get plenty of flavor and nic delivery in a last-gen clearo like a Protank or Atlantis if that's your thing, I've found.

3. Because they burn more juice, you're going to get more nic - that's going to taste harsh. Most people dial their nic back considerably when switching to these types of devices - I'd already tapered from 18 mg to 6 using Protanks, but when I started dripping and using sub-tanks I cut it in half again to 3.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! I totally agree. My favorite setup atm is my older taifuns on an original kbox. I can build however I like and the air flow is perfect. Building at around 1 ohm or so works great. I suppose it has been this way for a while as drippers were all the rage. Dripping is fine for tasting, but otherwise, it is too much work. We each need to find what works best for us. I may grow to like my subtank if I use the rba, build at 1+ and close down the air. However, I took the cheap way out and got the fasttech version, which doesn't come with the rba or the 1+ head.

Yeah the taifuns are great for that. I'm glad you took my post as intended, which was in a nice way explaining what I thought. After I posted it and reread it I was like, "Damn, this can be taken the wrong way, like an ignorant/arrogant post." That is in no way what I meant, and I'm glad you took it as I meant it to be read. Sometimes it's hard with not having actual conversation putting the proper etiquette and emphasis in a post. I'm not sure if your clone Subtank can do what I'm talking about, I know the authentic ones can, that's how my wife uses her. She closes of the air setting and gets a good tight draw for mouth-to-lung hits. I build hers on the RBA deck at ~1.2-1.5ohms and she runs it around 14-18watts and she likes it that way. To me, I need it wide open for a straight lung hit. I agree with you on the dripping thing. It's too much work for me other then when I'm tasting DIY juices or a vendor juice I've never had before. I get a close enough flavor out of a tank, and I'd much rather not have to drip all day. I do agree thought that the industry needs not to lose focus on the products that get people to switch to vaping, which are those products I had mentioned and you also were referring to. I don't know of many smokers who switched from analogs to a wide-open sub-ohm temp control setup.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty much all the points have been covered, but to recap:

1. The Subtank isn't much of a mouth-to-lung hitter, it's more for mid-to-high air draws. You'll have to use the smallest holes, and that may be too open a draw for you. Someone suggested closing them completely, which might work - mine is full-open all the time and I still like my airer Arctic better.

2. Subtanks drink juice, no matter what coil you use. The higher-resistance ones may burn a bit less, but they're specifically designed to use lots of juice - you need more juice + more power to = more clouds, and these devices mainly appeal to people who like big clouds. You can get plenty of flavor and nic delivery in a last-gen clearo like a Protank or Atlantis if that's your thing, I've found.

3. Because they burn more juice, you're going to get more nic - that's going to taste harsh. Most people dial their nic back considerably when switching to these types of devices - I'd already tapered from 18 mg to 6 using Protanks, but when I started dripping and using sub-tanks I cut it in half again to 3.
Yep, all good valid points. Well said @OBDave

Hilfiger

Member For 4 Years
Ok.....thanks guys.
I tried the RBA thing with the cotton that came with Kanger Tank.

The thing is....there's a little weird taste now. I can still taste my Tobacco or Liquerice juices.....but still with a weird taste .....how can that be ?
When i plug the OCC coil on it fine.

Maybe the cotton came with the tank is a low quality ?

Anyone experince this ?

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you started using the RBA and you can still taste a juice you had in there previously? If so then the tank needs to be cleaned out better, also make sure to clean out the drip tip and the base as well when you do so. Also, from my experience you also need to pull off the glass and clean that separately as well. The weird taste could very well be the cotton breaking in. It takes a short break-in period for the cotton to break-in and give you the true flavor of the juice. I don't think the cotton is low quality, it's regular old Japanese cotton. Hope that helps some, if not and I misunderstood let me know and I'll try to help more.

Hilfiger

Member For 4 Years
Sorry my bad. I mean i'm getting a little weird taste of my juice. Maybe it could be the cotton quality.

But does a RBA last longer than OCC coils??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melicious

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A common complaint with these types of tanks are dry or burnt hits. That may be the culprit of your odd taste. There is a bit of a learning curve but with practice you can figure out the best ways to avoid having that happen. Read up in the forums and watch some YouTube videos that address easy fixes. In my experience a 1.0 ohm coil and short wick (only long enough to just reach the deck) are effective at producing a good combination of flavor and vapor.

Dudditz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion one of the best mouth to lung tanks is the subtank + RBA. As others have suggested the standard pre-built coils come across quite harsh when using as mouth to lung. The RBA with a .5 ohm - 1 ohm coil is much smoother and will produce better flavor and vapor than the pre-built coils for mouth to lung. You also will be able to drive these with much lower power requirements. My favorite setup is a .5 ohm coil in the RBA running at 12 watts. This produces superb flavor and a large amount of vapor. The sub-tank is the simplest rba I have ever worked with and you can purchase perfectly rolled coils in 20 packs for very cheap. http://sweet-vapes.com/kanger-subtank-organic-cotton-coils-occ-2680.html
I have been using these coils for months and they perform excellent for mouth to lung.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just want to throw in there that when the OP is ready for RDA's and rebuilding that rebuilding the OCC coils really is as easy as the RDA deck if not easier in my humble opinion. I haven't seen the newer reworked one on the ST plus but my original RDA deck for my subtank mini I gave away because I didn't like the small juice ports and my friends RDA deck came with a stripped negative post trap screw hole and was worthless and would short on him and not hold a screw in place even without a coil so I don't trust them or their quality. But the OCC coils seem to have bigger juice ports in general and with little effort and a quick search on youtube it's easy to find a video showing you how to recoil and wick them and you can make them any resistance with any gauge wire you choose giving you any vape you want from them as long as you have just enough cotton to block the juice ports without putting too much or too little in allowing the coil to be flooded or choked, but that just takes practice and time...wicking is a total finess thing in general. I've found that out of a 5 pack of OCC coils I can rebuild one at least three times at the very least before I where out the center pin insulator from taking it apart and putting it back together and use....plus when you've finally wore out those five heads you buy another five and get a break from rebuilding or go to some place like lightening vapes and see if they have replacement insulators in stock like they do for other Kanger and Aspire tanks by then...just something to keep in mind.

As to the subtank....just because it's new doesn't mean it's right for you, I would keep on with the Nautilus if it's what is making you happy and put the Subtank up in a drawer somewhere so when and if you're ready it's ready for you. I've bought very little vape gear in the last six months other than liquid and replacement parts and drip tips for broken and worn out parts on RDA's or RTA's that evenually ware out with use and can't be avoided. Sure I'd love to buy every new shiney thing but I am happy with the vape I get from the gear I have and even though it would be nice to have something new, what I have gets the job done till I have money to blow on a new vape treat when the bills are taken care of.

Best of luck to you and wishing you happy vaping :)

VU Sponsors