Become a Patron!

Kangertech SSOCC 0.5ohm coils...need some advice please...

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey,
I usually use a TFV4 on a SMOK X-CUBE II, but about a week ago my tank smashed while I was working, so the only thing available to purchase close to being capable that kind of wattage in the neighbourhood was a Kangertech NEBOX. (It was going to be my next mod until I heard about leaking issues, so I chose the SMOK). I love it, ok it's a step down, but it's perfectly compact, powerful and great tank capacity for someone running around a building site all day!
So to the point...the lady in the shop told me she would set up the Ni-200 that comes with it for me, as I've never used TC before for my all day vape. She set the NEBOX to 60w and 290C, which worked great but burned out the next evening. I searched around for a nice price on regular Kanthal OCCs and in the process discovered that Kangertech now do Clapton and Stainless Steel OCCs!
So I ordered some Stainless Steels, under the impression from an experienced vaper friend (no experience with SS myself) that SS was able to do both TC and Wattage modes...so stuck one in today when my Kanthal OCC died..I primed the coil of course, then let it soak in the tank with my 80VG homemade for about 20 minutes..which is more than enough for any coil I have ever used.
I fired it at 30 to begin with, it felt dry within 2 seconds. I waited, sucked on the drip tip to try and pull some more juice through, waited a little longer and tried again at 35, a couple of nice hits..then burnt. I thought maybe it's designed for TC...so I waited a little bit and tried 30W and 290C...couple of nice hits and burned tasting again!
I know im probably being stupid in some way or another, but I just can't figure out what I should do!
If someone could give me a bit of info on stainless steel coils and their capabilities/limitations, what I should and shouldn't do etc, most importantly safety tips too..then that would be muchos appreciado.

Tumbleweed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't stand the taste of my juices through my Kanger coils when I got it (the Nano was my first setup). I ditched their top & put a Crown on on it & use their coils. Every once in a while I'll try the Kanger top again but still a shitty taste. The mod itself has been outstanding, but I couldn't make use of the tank.

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I couldn't stand the taste of my juices through my Kanger coils when I got it (the Nano was my first setup). I ditched their top & put a Crown on on it & use their coils. Every once in a while I'll try the Kanger top again but still a shitty taste. The mod itself has been outstanding, but I couldn't make use of the tank.
Thanks for the reply dude but I'm talking about an NEBOX, the tank is inside so jist Kanger coils. I just bought the triple RBA for my TFV4 on my Smok but I'm gonna need to sort out this NEBOX for work, because I don't wanna smash my SMOK again xD
I've kept it in there (SSOCC) and at 40w you get about 3 hits until it goes dry as a cigarette end lol

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The stainless steel refers to the housing the actual coil is Nichrome. Don't know why your getting dry hits at 40W. I think the coils are rated 15 - 60 watts.
Did you try lowering the wattage?

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The stainless steel refers to the housing the actual coil is Nichrome. Don't know why your getting dry hits at 40W. I think the coils are rated 15 - 60 watts.
Did you try lowering the wattage?
Really? Would never have expected that..where did you find that out man?
The dry hits eventually got a bit better, but flavour in this coil is just terrible anyway I think, i've taken it out and inserted a regular 0.5 OCC for now, just shame I spent £10 on those SSOCC and have 4 left that are probably gonna be no good to me :/

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Last edited:

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw it in a post so I checked around and http://www.vaporauthority.com/products/genuine-kanger-ssocc-replacement-coils-atomizer-heads-5-pack mentions it on there site. I also saw that they do make a SS wire coil that has a pink insulator at the bottom but I can't find it on Kangers web site or any place else.

Several people I know love the new coils so I'm surprised your having problems. Hope you get it sorted out.

Damn :/ fair enough then mate, thanks for the info of course . Maybe just a dud who knows, I'll try another after this one's done :)

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My saved text with the various resistances is on another comp, but here's the gist...

Color of package and O-Ring color...
Blue - Nickel wire. Use Ni TC mode ONLY.
Black - Clapton coil. Kanthal wire. Use power mode only
Pink - Stainless Steel wire. Use power OR SS TC modes.
Red - NiChrome wire. Power mode. Newest Kanger mods have a NiCh TC mode, though I don't hear that it works so well. Don't think the Nebox has it.

The Pink ringed SS heads are still very rare. Would love to try them.
I've had no problem with my NiCh Reds in Power mode.
But I know for a fact I never run them at 40w.
They go in my Nano which usually rides a measly iStick 30, at around 25w.

And the shop lady should have explained TC a little better and not sent you home with the temp/watts set so high. Start low and work your way up.
But that's a whole other discussion. :p

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My saved text with the various resistances is on another comp, but here's the gist...

Color of package and O-Ring color...
Blue - Nickel wire. Use Ni TC mode ONLY.
Black - Clapton coil. Kanthal wire. Use power mode only
Pink - Stainless Steel wire. Use power OR SS TC modes.
Red - NiChrome wire. Power mode. Newest Kanger mods have a NiCh TC mode, though I don't hear that it works so well. Don't think the Nebox has it.

The Pink ringed SS heads are still very rare. Would love to try them.
I've had no problem with my NiCh Reds in Power mode.
But I know for a fact I never run them at 40w.
They go in my Nano which usually rides a measly iStick 30, at around 25w.

And the shop lady should have explained TC a little better and not sent you home with the temp/watts set so high. Start low and work your way up.
But that's a whole other discussion. :p
Thanks man, it turned out that particular mod went faulty, so they kindly gave me a replscement, my regular OCCs work fine now, but stainless steel and nickel still burn after a short use, even on easier-going settings :/ guess they just cant keep up with my chain vaping lol

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the 0.5 ohm clapton coils in my Nebox all the time - they work fine at around 40 watts with 80% VG. If your coils are burning, are you using high VG juice? They specifically said in the instructions that you have to turn the wattage down with high VG (it gives percentages). My coils seem to last for ages.

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the 0.5 ohm clapton coils in my Nebox all the time - they work fine at around 40 watts with 80% VG. If your coils are burning, are you using high VG juice? They specifically said in the instructions that you have to turn the wattage down with high VG (it gives percentages). My coils seem to last for ages.
I'm back to using my TFV4 now, it turns out the NEBOX itself was a faulty one and I got a replacement, but then my friend in a vape shop didn't have any Kanger coils, but he had TFV4 quad coils so I'm back on a beautiful 75 watts that never goes dry xD
I managed to burn one of the Kanger Ni200 and SSOCCs on the new NEBOX still though, load of crap if you ask me

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm back to using my TFV4 now, it turns out the NEBOX itself was a faulty one and I got a replacement, but then my friend in a vape shop didn't have any Kanger coils, but he had TFV4 quad coils so I'm back on a beautiful 75 watts that never goes dry xD
I managed to burn one of the Kanger Ni200 and SSOCCs on the new NEBOX still though, load of crap if you ask me

The Nebox is well known not to work in TC mode properly, but it's fine in power mode - I use mine all the time for out and about!

Dannyboy928

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Nebox is well known not to work in TC mode properly, but it's fine in power mode - I use mine all the time for out and about!
Giving these SSOCCs another go for work tomorrow because I don't wanna smash my TFV4 lol fingers crossed xD

VU Sponsors