Become a Patron!

Kanger Sub Tank Coil

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 26 gauge and 28 gauge Kanthal
I was wondering, what the best wrap would be for the little thingamajig adapter the tank comes with.
I would like to be around at least .5 ohms

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Either should work fine. I am still using the first pre wraped coil the tank came with. Best bet is to use the same gauge as kanger coils.

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was bored yesterday so I decided to build a different type of coil than I normally build on the subtank mini RBA deck. I ended up building a parallel (2 wires side by side) single coil, 28 gauge kanthal 5/6 wraps around a 2.5mm jig. Came out as .53ohms on the ohm reader. Wicked and filled my tank and gave it a shot. At 11 watts I was totally blown away by the flavor and vapor produced by this coil. Typically I just build a single micro coil and was happy. I'm happily vaping away with no dry hits whatsoever even when chain vaping. It's definitely not an exotic build compared to some of the amazing coils I've seen but what a huge step up for me from the basic single coil.

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pics uncle mike please. I want to play around with my mini rba and need ideas.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Stock occ coils are wrapped with 24g kanthal @3.5mm,5 turns.

But the OP is talking about the RBA deck, not the OCC coils. the RBA deck comes with two coils that are TINY gauge wire... I thought it was about 30 or 32G, but dont take my word on it. I do know the RBA coils are not 24G.

That said, I use 28g wire, 5 wraps around the blue screwdriver that came with teh subtank mini standard, not contact. around .5 ohms and works great. I tried a 3mm coil, but it seemed to large and cut down the airflow through the RBA deck to much.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The coils come kinda easy for me. It's when I have to do the screw wraps and landing the coil in the right spot that makes me wanna pull my hair out.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still wanna try making a coil in the throwaway heads. May have to put my
E-Grip down and dig my subtank out of the junk drawer and try it soon.

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pics uncle mike please. I want to play around with my mini rba and need ideas.
11142173_910867918963466_1920981899_n.jpg

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But the OP is talking about the RBA deck, not the OCC coils. the RBA deck comes with two coils that are TINY gauge wire... I thought it was about 30 or 32G, but dont take my word on it. I do know the RBA coils are not 24G.

That said, I use 28g wire, 5 wraps around the blue screwdriver that came with teh subtank mini standard, not contact. around .5 ohms and works great. I tried a 3mm coil, but it seemed to large and cut down the airflow through the RBA deck to much.
My mistake...

Do you mean these Lil guys?

They hover between .5 and .6 on this reader and read [email protected]
it's a 2mm ID coil with 5/6 wraps so that would make it 26g.
not really that tiny if you ask me.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still wanna try making a coil in the throwaway heads. May have to put my
E-Grip down and dig my subtank out of the junk drawer and try it soon.
I watched a video of a guy doing that a couple of days ago. Had no idea you could, I've been buying new ones. Made it look so simple too.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well I mainly wrap with 24 or 28g, they looked smaller to me. No matter, as long as they vape well thats what counts.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only have the have Nano so i don't have an RBA head, but thats not an issue because these coilheads are stupid easy to rebuild. I usually make a microcoil from 26 gauge, ~ an ohm, and it gives better flavor than the original coilheads do.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you use the wire and cotton that come with the tank? I know it's in there to do the RBA, but can you use to recoil the stock head? I haven't done either, but need to learn.

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you use the wire and cotton that come with the tank? I know it's in there to do the RBA, but can you use to recoil the stock head? I haven't done either, but need to learn.
I just actually made this tutorial today. This should be enough to walk you through a rebuild, but of you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

http://m.imgur.com/a/O27j8

And yes, you can use the included cotton.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just actually made this tutorial today. This should be enough to walk you through a rebuild, but of you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

But can you use the included wire? Is it the same gauge for both rba and stock?

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But can you use the included wire? Is it the same gauge for both rba and stock?
I'm honestly not sure. I haven't had the wire around in a while to check. If I remember correctly, I read that it was 24 gauge in the RBA, but not sure about the OCC coils. Personally I think 24 would be a little hard to work with in such a small space. I'd pick up a spool of 26 or even 28 for rebuilding

Ice_Berg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've posted a few builds on my mini RDA over on the post your builds thread. They're all on the last page.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

That was an excellent tutorial. Hate video tutorials, not that they are all bad. Just that I can get the info I need much more quickly and painlessly with pictures and text. Great job, every step of the way. Thanks.

VU Sponsors