Become a Patron!

Kanger Protank 4

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
So, I have purchased the Protank4 since my goto tank is the Kanger Toptank. I thought it would be a good "upgrade". So far I am sadly mistaken. I cannot get this tank to taste good no matter what I try. It changes the flavor of my juice somehow. I am running a pineapple strawberry 80/20 VG/PG, 4MIL nicotine, and I am using the RBA deck at 0.324 ohms. I have tried everything from 25 watts to 95 watts. The higher the wattage, the better the flavor, but the vape/tank/tip gets supper hot! Not sure what is going on with the flavor, but I use the same juice in my Toptank and in my Baby Beast. The flavor is pretty much the same in both of those tanks with the Baby Beast obviously outperforming the Toptank. The flavor from the Protank is kind of buttery or greasy. I've cleaned the tank out, rewicked, used more cotton, less cotton, and can't figure this one out. I will be trying a different set of coils next.

If I figure it out I will post back here. If you have this tank and have it figured out, please let me know!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I took the RTA out and used the .5 ohm factory coil. That was a HUGE difference! That could tastes great! Now, what the heck is wrong with the RTA? I will figure this out...

If the .5 ohm factory coil tastes good with good vapor production, there has to be some kind of hope for the RTA...

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
One thing I noticed, and could have something to do with the flavor from the RTA, is this: the Clapton coils are gaped. There is enough room between each wrap to hold a large gauge kanthal wire without that wire touching the Clapton coil. Maybe that is causing the bad flavor? I'm going to try squeezing them together. Then, if that doesn't work, I'm going to try a whole new build.

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I switched out the factory Clapton coils for slightly larger Clapton coils and they barely fit! The draw is a bit tighter now so this might not work, but the flavor is SO much better! Well, I also switched juice too. I made a vanilla cupcake blend with caramel, butterscotch, and sweet cream. I use a dripper to test the flavor and both the dripper and the Kanger taste the same with this juice...maybe it was just the juice I had before...

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
With the factory .5 ohm coil it is pretty good. With the factory RTA clapton, it is better than the Toptank. It is not as good as my Smok Baby Beast with the Baby T8.

Another thing I do not like it the air flow tip. It helps with keeping the vape cool, it reduces the draw resistance, but there is a lot of juice build up on it. I am not real happy with this tank yet. I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

It is a bit tall (a negative for me), holds a decent amount of juice (positive), the juice goes a bit faster than in my Toptank, but lasts longer than my Baby Beast. This new side fill is weird, but not in a bad way. I like it better than the Toptank, but not as much as my Baby Beast. It handles thick juice great! I made a 90/10 VG/PG (maybe 85/15) and I chain vape!

There is a bit of gurgling which is another negative, but I am still working on different build ideas. I am going to try a standard kanthal build as well. I will measure the outer diameter with my calipers and add that information when I get a chance.

djmunster

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the info,i love my tfv8 beast (not the baby) even better when i build my own coils
I used to like my subtank plus but the air flow is a little limited for me now ,,, i want to buy the protank 4 because i have tons of replaceable coils just sitting here for my subtank that im not using and if the protank has better airflow i can use them

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't rush out and get a Protank 4 just yet. I think the airflow would be the same. I think the coils are what limits the airflow on the other Kanger tanks. So, in theory, no matter how wide the airflow inlet and outlet is, the restriction of the could would not change no matter which tank the coils are used in. The Protank had a different coil and that coil seemed to have a better airflow.

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I am still having issues trying to get the right setting with the RTA. I am rewicking daily. I have ran it at everything from 25 watts to 60 watts. At 60 watts, it seemed to be better, but didn't last any longer. It could be my juice, as I make my own, but it is not very dark or very sweet. I have purchased juice from the local vape shop that was darker and sweeter and it lasted just fine (in other tanks). Still playing around with different ideas.

Anyone else have this tank and have any suggestions?

VU Sponsors