Become a Patron!

Kanger KBox Mini Burnt Taste

My vape tastes burnt, I really need help because I enjoy vaping but it's not working out for me.
I have a Kanger Kbox Mini start up kit. I bought some .5 ohm coils and I'm using Cyber Eliquid's AppleJaks 12mg vape juice.
The issue: I keep getting burnt tastes and it hurts my throat / tastes bad.
The guy at my local shop insists nothing is wrong with it but after a few hours it starts up again. I've primed it properly and saturated it when inserting new coils... Any suggestions?

The guy at my shop says 18 will get me good clouds (and demonstrated) but I prefer the high 20's range. When I first bought it, the dude told me not to go over 30. :x

I've tried going up and down with wattage but it doesn't change the taste for me. I get this acidic taste.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might be packing your coil with too much cotton. Consider using less.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Brand new. This is my 4th coil replacement.
Try a different coil? Got my sbox now and .5 coil seems fine! Also did u prime it rite plenty of juice in that coil before firing

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh u tryed a coil lol thats weird maybe that juice dont like the low ohm?
Just a thought

happy vaping

adamwineguy

Founder, 10 Vape Commandments
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also remember that all coils will initially have a funny metallic/off flavor (possibly what you're calling acidic) until you break them in... Doesn't take long, only like a minute of puffing. Does the cotton look burnt, or does the coil have excess buildup on it when you're getting this bad taste?

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dint find mine had any weird taste but everyone taste it different also as you have tryed a few coils try taking one apart and take a close look at the cotton

happy vaping

The cotton looks fine, These coils don't seem to come apart at all. And I make sure that I drip some juice into the coil so I don't burn the cotton. I've swapped out coils to see what was wrong, I've only actually damaged one, that's when I first got the burnt taste when I got a dry hit.
If it's the mechanical fluid, what can I do to prevent that or get rid of it? Can I still "get rid of it" after it's soaked in juice?

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The cotton looks fine, These coils don't seem to come apart at all. And I make sure that I drip some juice into the coil so I don't burn the cotton. I've swapped out coils to see what was wrong, I've only actually damaged one, that's when I first got the burnt taste when I got a dry hit.
If it's the mechanical fluid, what can I do to prevent that or get rid of it? Can I still "get rid of it" after it's soaked in juice?
@kwtony have a vid on taking the bvc coils apart i think.
Huh? What you want to get rid off

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Deleted *double posted*

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try taking a close pin or tiny pointy object and GENTLY poking it thru the juice flow ports in the coil through the cotton and then fluff the edges nicely. I had the same issues vaping max VG and this has seemed to help more than anything. Well, that was for the horizontal coils, not sure about the new vertical coils but that should work as well.

Sadly this is not a tank/coil issue. I have the same problem with my kbox, taking the battery out and putting it back it seems to reset it, sometimes the flavor will go back to normal for a little while. If i put the same tank (that gets the burnt taste in kbox) on another boxmod, it tastes perfectly fine, back in the kbox and burnt taste is back instantly. I have yet to test this properly but I highly suspect the current regulation is faulty and it's throwing to much watts at the coil (while still displaying the set wattage, not what its actually outputting).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the kbox, something really weird is going on with wattage. Even if it weren't, the insulator sleeve on the top thread will wear out after a few weeks and result in nothing but shorts. Kanger make really nice tanks, still need to iron out some of the kinks on their mods tho.

Take it back and get something else. before you end up macgyvering it back together and voiding any sort of warranty.

edit: I've also noticed the burnt taste tends to happen less when a fresh fully charged battery is in. As the charge drops the chance of burnt taste seems to increase :/

Also the taste we are experiencing is the same smell/taste emitted when heating up a dry coil. All of this leads me to believe that for some reason despite wattage setting, the kbox pumps out at 40W, but only sometimes o_O circuitry seems very glitchy for something so basic.

Last edited:

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sadly this is not a tank/coil issue. I have the same problem with my kbox, taking the battery out and putting it back it seems to reset it, sometimes the flavor will go back to normal for a little while. If i put the same tank (that gets the burnt taste in kbox) on another boxmod, it tastes perfectly fine, back in the kbox and burnt taste is back instantly. I have yet to test this properly but I highly suspect the current regulation is faulty and it's throwing to much watts at the coil (while still displaying the set wattage, not what its actually outputting).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the kbox, something really weird is going on with wattage. Even if it weren't, the insulator sleeve on the top thread will wear out after a few weeks and result in nothing but shorts. Kanger make really nice tanks, still need to iron out some of the kinks on their mods tho.

Take it back and get something else. before you end up macgyvering it back together and voiding any sort of warranty.

edit: I've also noticed the burnt taste tends to happen less when a fresh fully charged battery is in. As the charge drops the chance of burnt taste seems to increase :/
Sounds weird mine is ok full to empty maybe try a different battery in the mod? Im using 18650 3000mah lg 20a battery no issues

happy vaping

Im getting the same thing with my rba seems like every first hit tastes like burnt cotton. even when the tank is full and is standing upright and my subbox mini screen twitches between voltages ( yes everything is screwed down snug and yes i have the correct battery) not a major problem but they are problems i never had with cheap setups

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Weird my battery indicator does say empty when i fire then fully charge when i dont fire and ohm jump from 0.5 to 0.6 when i fire thats my only issue

happy vaping

Using LG 18650 2500mAh 20A, only high drain batteries I have currently. Will grab some from a mate to test with. My kbox worked great for about 3 weeks, I have also seen others reporting this problem. Kanger will replace no hassle, but then same thing often happens to replacement. I don't think they were tested properly for long term use. It also seems that not all kbox's are affected, some have no problems at all. Some have the insulator sleeve problem, some the wattage problem, others (like mine), both.

Maybe this is why it slipped through testing etc (you happened to get a good one, I seem to have gotten a dud). tbf its somewhat expected, kanger only really just got into the mod game, I'm sure their next gen mods will be of the same quality as their tanks (which are amazing, I couldn't possibly be happier with the subtank mini).

Guy that runs the vape store I get my gear from is away for the weekend, so just stealing my flatmates mod in the mean time, will most likely order a Smok xPro or something similar, on monday.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
<snip>

<snip>

(bolding mine)

I just wanted to mention that the insulator issue can be fixed by replacing the insulator. (Google 'kbox' and 'insulator') It's a bit of a pain and (I agree that it) shouldn't happen in the first place but it is fixable. I fixed mine yesterday and it's working perfectly again.

The problem seems to occur when a tank/rda has a post that's slightly long - it'll push the 510 pin down too far which can actually cut the insulator in two. It's not a problem with the subtank (which is what I normally use) because the subtank has a spring-loaded connector. But you have to be careful with other tanks/rdas.

haha yip I have done that to mine, Which I didnt mind, was easy enough to resolve (fiddly and annoying but easy enough). I have only used my subtank mini on the kbox, it does not have a spring loaded pin like the full sized subtank, but does have a fairly short post compared to many tanks. I replaced the sleeve a couple weeks back and have been using small washer between the subtank and the kbox to ensure it doesnt push down to far but is still able to form the connection. This has worked alright. The taste/wattage issue is my main concern, as its very unpredictable, and most likely at least a little toxic. But mainly the rank taste left in mouth is not the vanilla custard i have become so accustomed to xD Using a mechmod by beacon temporarily until I replace the kbox with something less inconsistent.

Also, I dont mean to be so negative towards kanger, I think their products are normally of a very high quality. The subtanks are well designed, look good, function perfectly (no leaks etc), and being able to use OCC coils or the RBA platform is very good. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next in the mod arena.

Venom Ballistics

Member For 4 Years
It will keep tasting burnt for a while. 15 to 20 is all you want or need with any off the shelf coil. You want clouds, get an RDA

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of returning it, but like I said, the guy insist that there is nothing wrong with it, which makes me fear that they will charge me for a new one.
Also, what's an RDA?

I had the same problem

Easy fix change you're coils
I noticed it when I replaced my first coil with a coil from a 5 pack
Kanger have made 2 types off occ coils one horizontal and one vertical the latter being the better I noticed a massive difference
The old ones have the coil hole running left to right the new better ones have the hole straight down hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Also the taste we are experiencing is the same smell/taste emitted when heating up a dry coil. All of this leads me to believe that for some reason despite wattage setting, the kbox pumps out at 40W, but only sometimes o_O circuitry seems very glitchy for something so basic.
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have the exact same problem with a Nano and kbox. IMO its a very dry vape that seems to very suddenly turn into a nasty burnt taste.I am glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing that issue. I'll continue to follow this thread to see if anymore suggestions come through. Gnite for now
@kwtony have a vid on taking the bvc coils apart i think.
Huh? What you want to get rid off

happy vaping

Hi there.
Im not using the subox as a whole but i have the white subtank mini and an istick 30w.
I got my subtank before 8 days and i used the 1.2 coil . At 15w with halo tribeca 18mg it was amazing. Then the coil started having a weird burned cotton candy taste even though the wick was still bright white and the guy at the store told me it doesnt look burned but brand new :/ and i got a new coil today ( vertical one 1.2ohm ) and now it doesnt taste as the first coil and im not getting the tribeca taste. Ofc i primed the coil and let it suck enough juice over 1-1.5 hour but the taste still is weird so i decided to use the .5 coil that came together with the tank and it was ok-ish...but im not into sub ohm so i dont know what they doing with the coil production -.- Would love to hear your experiences :)

My vape tastes burnt, I really need help because I enjoy vaping but it's not working out for me.
I have a Kanger Kbox Mini start up kit. I bought some .5 ohm coils and I'm using Cyber Eliquid's AppleJaks 12mg vape juice.
The guy at my local shop insists nothing is wrong with it but after a few hours it starts up again. I've primed it properly and saturated it when inserting new coils... Any suggestions?

I had exactly the same problem I searched the Internet hard and spoke to friends and ive fixed it... Basically completely take apart your top part from your unit and put in not boiling water but really hot water get a brand new coil dry all the parts then poke holes in the side of your new coil fill your tank (I used 50/50 when I tried with a 30/70 it still tasted burnt maybe because it's thinker so it needed longer to soak) and put everything together... Now make sure your machine is off cover your air holes and suck really suck untill you get a little bit of juice in your mouth then leave it for 2 minutes and vape on 15 to 17 watts for 1 minute and bang bang no bad taste just flavour

Last edited:

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a shot in the dark here, but you did not mention the VG/PG ratios of your liquid. Given that its 12mg I would say 50/50 or maybe even more PG. Some people have allergic type reactions to the PG which may be confused for a "burnt" hit. When I vape higher PG values it burns my throat and is not very smooth. Do your flatmates notice the burnt taste as well? Another thing to check, grab your subox, with your tank on, give it a short fire while looking at the screen. The volts reading should move from 0.0v to whatever its firing at. Just checked mine and at 20 watts fires at 3.2 volts.

Hopefully this helps!
I had the same issue with mine and I hated it! But since I figured it out I'm in love with vaping again! Try putting it on the lowest watt that will satisfy u. Hit the button and let it burn atleast 3 to 4 seconds before hitting. What I usually do is puff on it without inhaling for about 6-7 seconds (to get the burnt vapor out) then quickly release button then hit to inhale.
Try that and hopefully it works for u all!

I had the same problem so I googled it and saw a video of a guy who also has the same problem he took a safety pin or any needle and gently push up against the cotton but don't push just twist the needle back and forth just work the needle through one side and then do the same thing on the other side so that you have a little pin hole in each side ....once I did this I just primed it at that did the trick. I have a kbox nano with the same coils. ..good luck

I had the same problem so I googled it and saw a video of a guy who also has the same problem he took a safety pin or any needle and gently push up against the cotton but don't push just twist the needle back and forth just work the needle through one side and then do the same thing on the other side so that you have a little pin hole in each side ....once I did this I just primed it at that did the trick. I have a kbox nano with the same coils. ..good luck
By the way now that I do that it is such a smoother hit it is a 360 difference

I
I know I have probably figured it out by now but u need to stay at 12mg nicotine any higher will taste burnt cause the juice is too thick for the tank

I was also having this problem. I tried everything. I started pre soaking my coils. I think the problem lies with the density of the cotton. When we replace the coil, the juice is not reaching the core where the coil meets the cotton. And it burns. I open my 5 pack and drip juice into each coil and then put it in a zip bag. Each time I change it it's already primed and ready to go. I have to also make sure the increase button doesn't get accidentally pushed in my pocked. (Poor design) . I don't think the design on this vapes allows for anything higher than a 9 for nicotine. It's just too strong.

;)Flatline2133 knows what he's talking about. My Kragertech has been with the burn for a week. Had swapped out coils, still burnt.:mad: Id been using 12mg of HIGH VOLTAGE Tesla (blue bottle). Dumped what was remaining. Refilled with 6mg HIGH VOLTAGE Transformer (red bottle) and burnt taste problem instantly gone. :cool: I love happy endings. :D

I spent two hours at my local vape shop for the same reason this week. They removed the battery replaced the coil, cleaned and replaced juice insisting everything's fine only for it to produce a nasty burn taste again. It's a regulator issue and a very expensive one at that because these kits aren't cheap. Kangatech needs to recall and replace these garbage units. I don't recommend buying them and certainly won't ever again.

VU Sponsors