Become a Patron!

Kanger Evod coil wrap..13 wraps!!!!!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive tried a few times to get a succesful 13 wrap coil inside the little single coil evod coil heads...my first couple of attempts showed some funky 1.1 ohm reading on my mvp...It turned out my issue was more of a brain fart than anything and didnt trim the tails off far enough creating a short.

This 13 wrap was done using 30g kanthal on a 1.8mm i.d. and wicked with raw organic cotton..Ohms measured by the MVP come out to 2.7 after juicing and firing a couple times...I dont really know what to say but WOW on the flavor....It burns from the center outward like it should and with 11 watts surprised me to say the least.

So enough typing and heres the coil installed in the head.
20150125_220527.jpg
1422242664584.jpg

This makes me want to try 14 maybe 15 wraps...if needed i can trim the bottom of the top cap so it doesnt hit the coil but it seems at 1.8mm i.d. im not having issues with the cap touching the coil...maybe if i went 2mm i.d. it would as its very close right now...Ill see if more length will interfere with touching the lip of the cap where it helps cover the wick.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
13 wraps is too much for any build, especially for such low power.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
13 wraps is too much for any build, especially for such low power.

Its vaping without any issues at 11 watts so far...how much power does it need?...and why is more wick coverage a bad thing?

I usually do 7-8 wraps with 30ga for a Evod. Get's you 1.8-2.0 ohms every time.

Just experimenting with wick coverage on flavor for comparison...i try to get 1.7 1.8 ohm with a micro coil as my usual coil.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ever try an evod 2 (bottom dual coil) built with a single coil with cotton and a flavor wick on top? Plenty of coil/wick contact area.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have an emow clone tank coming from fasttech...will be the first dual coil ive tried...do
have plans on making it single coil though.

I have room up top with the coil..just seeing how far width wise i can build one without shorting.

Not sure i can go higher than 3 ohms though.

Maybe can try some 29 gauge if they make it.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ive tried a few times to get a succesful 13 wrap coil inside the little single coil evod coil heads...my first couple of attempts showed some funky 1.1 ohm reading on my mvp...It turned out my issue was more of a brain fart than anything and didnt trim the tails off far enough creating a short.

This 13 wrap was done using 30g kanthal on a 1.8mm i.d. and wicked with raw organic cotton..Ohms measured by the MVP come out to 2.7 after juicing and firing a couple times...I dont really know what to say but WOW on the flavor....It burns from the center outward like it should and with 11 watts surprised me to say the least.

So enough typing and heres the coil installed in the head.
View attachment 13204
View attachment 13205

This makes me want to try 14 maybe 15 wraps...if needed i can trim the bottom of the top cap so it doesnt hit the coil but it seems at 1.8mm i.d. im not having issues with the cap touching the coil...maybe if i went 2mm i.d. it would as its very close right now...Ill see if more length will interfere with touching the lip of the cap where it helps cover the wick.
Looks good to me. I usually use 34, five wrap with the thickness as thick as I can slide a gauge in the two groves. I have found larger is better because you have more cotton adsorbing the juice it keeps up better and I think more flavor. I have been wicking the pro-tanks every since pro-tanks came out. Also I keep space between the coils cause I have found if the coils are closed they gunk faster for two the flavor is better I think. My next move if I get around to it is to cut the slots to make them wider so I can make a larger coil.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looks good to me. I usually use 34, five wrap with the thickness as thick as I can slide a gauge in the two groves. I have found larger is better because you have more cotton adsorbing the juice it keeps up better and I think more flavor. I have been wicking the pro-tanks every since pro-tanks came out. Also I keep space between the coils cause I have found if the coils are closed they gunk faster for two the flavor is better I think. My next move if I get around to it is to cut the slots to make them wider so I can make a larger coil.

I think if i go with larger diameter i.d. i would short out on the top cap...room to grind it down though..i may try a larger i.d and see what a thicker wick does.

My only issue for now is, i have a 5/64 bit but it doesnt fit down inside the head slots so im stuck with 1.8mm for now....I may grind away at the slots like you were talking about to get it to fit down in there.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kewl, just do what makes ya keep off tha stinkies.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kewl, just do what makes ya keep off tha stinkies.

About 1 yr now thanks to an evod starter kit...no turning back now for me...still have yet to try an actual quality juice i think though...been getting vista vapors which was miles ahead of the mostly pg and high nicotine based stuff in convienant stores...affordable for me though....just ordered 102ml for less than $19 shipped..lasts me about a month...One of these days ill try something different..lol

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a flavor wick on top I get no coil gunking. I've also used high gauge wire and built a parallel coil before to get a long coil without having crazy high ohms. The long parallel coil with thin wire isn't too hard to heat which helps with lower power mods. Just a few thoughts.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have tried it with wick on top I did not notice the gunking so maybe your right about that. I just built mine next build I will give it a try. IM running low on insulators so I guess I will have to buy couple more boxes of coils to get them I will be darn paying 6.00 for 10 insulators at that one place.

VU Sponsors