Become a Patron!

Just got my first rda

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, just got an authentic haze rda at my local vape shop. Also bought cotton, coiler, and 26 gauge wire. Anybody have any good sites with tutorials, preferably written. Also any advice or tips would be great. Planning on using it on my Sigelei 100 watt plus.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Written I got. Click on the three sigline hyperlinks below... have fun!

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! Now for the dumb question of the day. How exactly do I attach the coils to the base?
Although showing you might be better than telling you (some are visual learners, some can follow written instruction just fine)... this is the general build information.

I don't see an ohm meter (either a build box or a DMM) in your "list of important things".
I have little faith in the accuracy of on-board APV meters, and the lower the resistance, the more critical accuracy (not resolution) must be, so... seriously consider buying an independent meter/build box to verify the net resistance. Get something good... like from USA Meters.

If what you have is 26 gauge wire, I'd start with a 0.3Ω~0.4Ω, dual parallel build. That would be 8/7 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel.

You have 4 posts - two negative (outside radius) and two positive (in the center). Stagger each coil as follows - the juice well nearest you will have the coil attached at the 1st and 3rd posts. Keep good tension on the wire as you build your coils.

Turn it 180° and repeat with the second coil. I've allowed for a net leg length of 10mm, so you have plenty of room. Try very hard to mirror the coil position and leg lengths. The view, when the coils are attached will be one coil hovering over the lower left well, the other in the upper right.

When done, install the atty and pulse fire it a few times... initially, you'll see the coils heat unevenly as the Kanthal wire produces it's aluminum oxide, electrically resistant surface layer.
After a few pulses, you'll see the coils heat evenly, from the center outwards. You can use this heat cycling to adjust, and if necessary compress the coils evenly. It's not necessary to pre-torch wire prior to wrapping coils... but some find comfort in it. :rolleyes:

If using cotton wicks, the lightly rolled and still dry wick should pull through each coil with only light drag.

Assuming you have that 2.5mm mandrel to build on, follow this Steam Engine page exactly.
At 55-58 watts, you'll have a heat flux of +/- 250 mW/mm². If the temperature is too cool, run the wattage up to increase the heat flux... down to run a cooler vape.

I realize your excited and hot to build something, but considering your lack of knowledge and experience... before you do any of this, please read the articles provided.

Last edited:

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like you said some people are visual some are literal. 95% visual 5% literal. No offense but to watch something being done and you follow is easier, as opposed to reading it and doing it, you will have problems by only reading, First you must learn battery safety. There thousands of "how to build" videos on you tube but watch the battery videos first. then the build videos. Then come back here. The knowledge here is impressive.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, figured it out. Watched some of rip trippers videos and built a .4 sleeper build. @State O' Flux I have a multimeter, and tested them with it. This is way easier than I thought it would be. Picked up a freakshow today, so I'd have a three post to play around with. Built a simple dual coil at .2, and been chucking clouds for a few hours with it. Now gotta work on my wicking, getting way too many dry hits.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.2....ok seriously dangerous for someone new to the game. Check out this guys videos sxmxdrifter very informative especially the battery vidieos. Don't worry about your wicking until you know your battery. And I can speak for everybody in this forum.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a regulated sigelei, with authentic sony vtc4's. I appreciate your concern though.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my oppinion rip trippers on youtube has the best tutorials for building coils. Id sugest starting with 1 omh coils and working your way down untill you find your prefered zone

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Multimeters usually only measure to one place past the decimal point. For building you really need to see the hundredths place. Not only for accuracy, but to ensure the resistance is stable. A fluctuating reading is a sign of a bad connection. If the ohms jump around, so will the voltage the mod supplies when using a variable device. Most multimeters aren't designed to be super accurate at resistances below 1 ohm. Ohm checkers for vapers are.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 4 hole haze is pretty easy to build on... You'll go through some wire- toss it if you don't like the build. Wire is cheap and it took me a while to get it right... You'll love your Haze- it's my go to in my arsenal. Make room because these things multiply!!

VU Sponsors