Become a Patron!

Just a little FYI

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been watching a lot of reviews lately and it seems everyone is using Japanese organic cotton. Good choice. HOWEVER, it's not pronounced Koh JEN Do. It's Koh GEN Doh with a hard 'G'. G as in goat, not G as in genesis.

I'm partially Japanese and speak a little bit so this has been driving me up a wall.

OCD? Certainly. I just had to get it off my chest. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No I get it, I totally get it.
When talking to someone I have to judge their level of intelligence buy they mangle their words, so as not to completely talk over their heads.
When I am talking to someone and they sound like extras from idiocracy I know I am doomed, I cannot drop the concept that low, so I mimic them and move on.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kind of like how people don't proof read their posts and make grammatical and punctuation errors. Sometimes even leaving out words. :p

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, since I'm an English speaking American I don't say España. I say Spain. ;)

Right, you call it a burrito when you order one, not a small donkey. Same principle here. I know it's not super important to everyone that they pronounce foreign words correctly, but i figured there may be someone out there who does. ;)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right, you call it a burrito when you order one, not a small donkey. Same principle here. I know it's not super important to everyone that they pronounce foreign words correctly, but i figured there may be someone out there who does. ;)

Thanks for explaining this. This is the first time I'm hearing this. Good job.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been watching a lot of reviews lately and it seems everyone is using Japanese organic cotton. Good choice. HOWEVER, it's not pronounced Koh JEN Do. It's Koh GEN Doh with a hard 'G'. G as in goat, not G as in genesis.

I'm partially Japanese and speak a little bit so this has been driving me up a wall.

OCD? Certainly. I just had to get it off my chest. Thanks everyone.

Just like "GIF"' pics it's supposed to be a soft G Like JIF...I don't think you can stop the snowball now :(

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, thanks for keying in on the wrong part of the discussion to take a personal dig at me. Felt gooooood didn't it? ;)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok ok, we'll stick to the right part of the discussion.

Ahem.

Nobody gives a crap how the Japanese pronounce anything.

:eek:

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That is why I use Puff. So I don't have to worry if I am spelling or saying Koh Gen Do correctly.

41Y1EJZVyxL.jpg

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And while we are on the subject.

Kayfun is actually Kay-foon

Taifun is actually Tey-foon

EHPro

Is it ee-eych-pro or ee-pro. I have heard it pronounced both ways.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And while we are on the subject.

Kayfun is actually Kay-foon

Taifun is actually Tey-foon

EHPro

Is it ee-eych-pro or ee-pro. I have heard it pronounced both ways.

Oh I thought it was Kayfun/Taifun were pronounced like Typhoon sounds. Learn something new every day.

And I think EH of EHPro are initials that stand for something. Not 100% on that, though.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vote we just start calling it "Bob"

Easy for most of us to pronounce:D
I will second that motion. Every Body knows Bob, except my neighbor. He has to ask me every time we talk. :confused:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I guess there were no established rules for the proper pronunciation of acronyms until the inventor of the GIF came along. I didn't know that. Apparently Merriam-Webster still doesn't. :D

VU Sponsors