Become a Patron!

Jump on the rDNA 40 or wait on the chinese chips?

Need some opinions here. Don't know if I should go ahead with a rDNA purchase or wait to see if the chinese chips are better. So far the smoke xpro m80 is a fail. Will the rest fail also?

Petrus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Personally, I would wait. I have a vapor flask that I bought for over $300 last February. Worked perfect until a few days ago. It throws a "weak battery" message after less than an hour of use. I can't vape more than 1ml of juice without replacing the battery as the vape gets weaker. It is a known issue. I have emailed vapor flask and await their response. Obviously this is my experience and you might buy one without having any issue with the device. I have not read any reports of vapor flask not standing by their products so I am confident that they will fix my device. With that said, you get what you pay for doesn't apply in my situation. Since I can't vape on my flask, I can't say this chip is any better...

I have the sx mini m class and ipv4 on pre order.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I would wait unless you are down to your last working mod and it is starting to go on the fritz.

Petrus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To be fair to vapor flask, they did respond to my email very quickly. I shipped the flask for repair costing me $6. It would have been nice if they paid for the shipping but its a small price to pay relative to the expensive paper weight I had. Here is what they wrote:

The Weak battery issue you are experiencing is due to a certain few units having a slight tolerance issue with the plastics used in the 3d printed sled. We have found the fix for it and can get it repaired pretty quickly since we have streamlined our repair process. The repair will fix the current issue as well as prevent certain possible future issues.

here is a google doc that will direct you to our RMA form so we can get the device here to repair it for you
the shipping address of where to send the device will be provided when the form is completed
once we receive the device it will ship out back to you in about 4 days from us receiving it depending on how many repairs we have going on at the time
I apologize for the issue and we will do what we can to get it back to you as quickly as possible.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bought a VS rDNA40 a few weeks ago, it had some problems, i sent it back and received the replacement today, after about 10mins........so far so good, ill have to get some more time on it to let you know for sure

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a VS rDNA 40 small screen version and it works as it is intended so far. With that said if you are not impatient you might benefit from waiting a bit. The yihi boards will release shortly and you will start to hear reports on how well they are working. Even if you do end up going the Evolv route it would probably still be beneficial to wait to see if Evolv boards become a bit more stable all the way around.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I find the dna discussions interesting-mostly due to the price of most dna 30/40 devices being north of $250. My only gripe with my sigelei box is that it only reads to the nearest 10th of an ohm. Other than that its a fantastic chip. Always been curious as to why so many people are loyal to the evolv devices. Seems like a lotta cash for so much trouble, and lack of flexibility power-wise. Patriotic considerations aside haha....

Petrus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought mine because of the temperature control. I normally vape with a subtank / mini and I was destroying the coils within a day not to mention the dry hits that came with it. Really forced me to use the rba that came with it. Now, I alternate between that and the cloud by wotofo. If eleaf comes out with a temp control on the 50w And it lasts all day like how it does, I'm done buying anything else. I very rarely go above 45w.

I've got an ipv3. I just want temp control. No dry hits sounds appealing. I usually don't vape over 50watts but like to have headroom to experiment. I just wonder how well these yihi chips will work in temp control mode. Evolv seems to have worked out most their issues.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find the dna discussions interesting-mostly due to the price of most dna 30/40 devices being north of $250. My only gripe with my sigelei box is that it only reads to the nearest 10th of an ohm. Other than that its a fantastic chip. Always been curious as to why so many people are loyal to the evolv devices. Seems like a lotta cash for so much trouble, and lack of flexibility power-wise. Patriotic considerations aside haha....
They have a following and are in quite a few nice mods. I enjoy my dna devices. I enjoy my yihi devices too though.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Day two with the rDNA40 replacement, so far so good. Dripped on it with a ni200 build for a while, but switched to a subtank mini (regular 0.5ohm OCC coil) for the drive into work

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess if you are patient it may not be a bad idea to wait for the ipv4 and the temp control update to come out, and see how people like them

then you can have something to compare to the VS rDN40

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Spoke too soon, my replacement rDNA40 doesnt have the connectivity issues my first one did, but it has display issues....ill give it a few more days then see if i want to send it back, i think this time i will ask for a refund.

I think for the price of these things they should be flawless.

If I do end up replacing it, it will be with a high end authentic mech mod or a lower end authentic mech mod and wait a while for temp control to work the kinks out)

Petrus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Totally agree. My istick 50w I bought for less than $50 has been without issues. The istick 20w I bought last November is still performing flawlessly. I'm sure they are not without problems, but for the money I paid...

Oberon75

Member For 4 Years
The prices have actually been getting better. For instance the HANA's are selling at $180 to $210 for DNA 40's and DNA 30's are now $99.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I havent had much luck with the dna chips. Just purchased a dna 40 chip and will build the box myself. Had two dna 40 in a box from a modder both failed. Personally I think evolve dropped the ball on the dna40 with poor quality control. Too many chip failures which appear to be ongoing. Havent heard that about some of the chinese manufactured chips. Id probably go with a sx 350 mini because temp control isnt really all that in my opnion.

I came here tonight surfing for the 411 on what Evolv's NEXT chip might look like. I've got a sweet custom dna30-d box mod with 2x18650s that is perfect if EVOLV continues it's next DNA chip with the same form factor as the DNA30 and DNA40. I haven't had any problems with my 30, but I'm vaping in the 38-45W range on my tanks now and my drippers are all configured around 0.35o +/- 0.05o... Sor my dna30 is a paperweight until I put a new chip in it. My modder won't guarantee 40s. He stood by the 30s. Somebody has already mentioned the Smok XPRO M80. That's my box for now, but I haven't messed with the temp control and haven't heard good things about the temp control either. The ohm readings on my XPRO M80 are very accurate, good enough to keep me happy for now.

VU Sponsors