JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Anything worth doing is worth going overboard - this may be proof, lol

Having never even made DIY NETs, figured may as well go for the gusto and purchased tobacco seeds in a first attempt to grow tobacco for turning into NETS (Naturally Extracted Tobacco)

IMG_0782.jpeg For this experiment, I bought a strain of Virginia, a cigar type tobacco and, just for fun, a ceremonial strain sourced from the Seneca Indian Reservation in New York

The original plan called for trying out about a dozen tobacco types, but I found out that tobacco easily cross pollinates and real farmers try not to grow different strains closer than a mile apart - first lesson learned

Last edited:

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow that is quite the undertaking. I do not know how long it takes to grow, cure tobacco, and process into a net but for all your hard work you will know the satisfaction of producing something uniquely yours entitely. Please keep us posted.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Excellent work. I trust that they are all air curable strains?

The Mohawk isn't considered a smoking tobacco, but a ceremonial one - think Native American peace pipes and other ceremonial and traditional uses for tobacco

The Virginia is a flue cure - but on a small scale, I'm willing to experiment with that - we are going to be building a small smoke house for curing meats - we'll see what happens

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Mohawk isn't considered a smoking tobacco, but a ceremonial one - think Native American peace pipes and other ceremonial and traditional uses for tobacco

The Virginia is a flue cure - but on a small scale, I'm willing to experiment with that - we are going to be building a small smoke house for curing meats - we'll see what happens
even if it doesn't work out. It is a really nice plant, with a pretty purple flower for your garden :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anything worth doing is worth going overboard - this may be proof, lol

Having never even made DIY NETs, figured may as well go for the gusto and purchased tobacco seeds in a first attempt to grow tobacco for turning into NETS (Naturally Extracted Tobacco)

View attachment 155905 For this experiment, I bought a strain of Virginia, a cigar type tobacco and, just for fun, a ceremonial strain sourced from the Seneca Indian Reservation in New York

The original plan called for trying out about a dozen tobacco types, but I found out that tobacco easily cross pollinates and real farmers try not to grow different strains closer than a mile apart - first lesson learned
Actually Lucy you're not as overboard as you think......years ago I used to belong to the Vaping forum"The Vape pit"...it was perdominately Englishmen, there was a core of NET lovers there and they had gone to the exteme of growing and curing, and extracting their own homegrown tobacco leaves.they used to post pictures of their seedlings and plots.....I also made NET juices myself and got onto another forum of guys who rolled their own cigars,their own cigarettes, and cured their own tobaccos......from whole leaf tobaccos, and agin there was a core of them the grew and cured their own plants...they even had a guy there who cured his own Latakia tobacco....I think he called it Blue Ridge Latakia......man the goverment crushes vaping and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people starting to grow their own tobaccos to smoke.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you leave winter behind and move to Cuba...or mebbe Honduras?:question: :):)

I grew tobacco one year. That was around 15 years ago when I was using stinkies. I was growing it for use as an organic pesticide...not smoking.

Good Luck! :yes:
hey..it's coming on spring...it's time to get your seedlings started indoors, and then transplant them outside when it warms up....as a matter of fact I'm planting my tomatoe seeds this week.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is illegal to grow here. Which lots of things are.

I'm imagining lots of off topic in this thread. With some pictures and notes thrown in here and there.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It is illegal to grow here. Which lots of things are.

I'm imagining lots of off topic in this thread. With some pictures and notes thrown in here and there.

You are right - had high hopes of beginning the germination process today, but high winds and the fact these seeds are teensy and need light exposure to sprout made me delay until this latest storm system passes

In that spirit - anyone else check out the new donut sandwich at KFC? :giggle:

IMG_0783.jpeg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are right - had high hopes of beginning the germination process today, but high winds and the fact these seeds are teensy and need light exposure to sprout made me delay until this latest storm system passes

In that spirit - anyone else check out the new donut sandwich at KFC? :giggle:

View attachment 156024
Is this an actual thing? Or satire on Americanism? Or like Drop Bears?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just strained a NET last week. It was from what Aussies call Chop Chop. Which is the uber cheap black market stuff import from the Middle East.

It is OK. Had 3 months cold maceration. But it is a bit boring. No nuances.

So, I'll spice up the next mix with 1% latakia added or something.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I find adding some LSD to my tobacco mixes makes them spicier and less boring

https://www.inawerawinkel.com/FLAVOUR-TABACCO-LITTLE-SPACE-DROP-10-ml/1063/
kinda spoils "natural"/"naturally extracted"?

i mostly vape unflavoured. Just occasionally use either NETs or straight up menthol from menthol crystals

and, i'm sure i have told this story, but my neighbour asked about menthol crystals
i told him to check at the chemist, or ebay

so, he went to the chemist/pharmacy, and asked for "crystal ****" :facepalm:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Super rainy/windy weather has made germinating seeds not possible for several days in a row unfortunately

Tobacco seed germination is sunshine dependent, and it has been raining hard with plenty of wind since I got the seeds :(

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I just strained a NET last week. It was from what Aussies call Chop Chop. Which is the uber cheap black market stuff import from the Middle East.

It is OK. Had 3 months cold maceration. But it is a bit boring. No nuances.

So, I'll spice up the next mix with 1% latakia added or something.
Errghh, chop chop. I tried some of that when I smoked cigs and I felt like id smoked dope it spun my head that much.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
41db7b6c39b86b7dc7d4790b3efd26d6.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I kind of feel like my bork is inadequate today

36487adf1ba89cc5964154a4f0accae0.jpg

Probably related to the incoming full moon. Which I only realised was a thing living by the beach, and watching tides.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Finally - had to cry uncle and get one of those jiffy pack thingies (which I think are for weenies) to germinate these tobacco seeds

But, the fact they need to sit on top of soil and be exposed to sun made me realize it could be months before conditions are right to get these seeds to germinate

Boring photo of the pack dealie

IMG_0852.jpeg

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Must to my surprise, the Mohawk and cigar tobacco seeds are starting to sprout already - teeny sprouts, but definitely sprouting

I put the seeds in the pack Wednesday - supposedly tobacco seeds can take up to 21 days to germinate, so 2 out 3 showing life after less than a week is a pretty good result IMO

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not surprising I think they are started in unheated greenhouses in KY. I doubt that they have started them yet though as is is still quite cool here.

I think they have been sing hydroponic float bet things for several years now. But not certain that all do that.

disclaimer: all this from listening to people at the local country store.
I have never been involved in the raising or harvesting of tobacco.
I just smoked it for 40 years.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Super rainy/windy weather has made germinating seeds not possible for several days in a row unfortunately

Tobacco seed germination is sunshine dependent, and it has been raining hard with plenty of wind since I got the seeds :(

I see you fixed it...yeap I start alot of my veggies indoors and then harden them off...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally - had to cry uncle and get one of those jiffy pack thingies (which I think are for weenies) to germinate these tobacco seeds

But, the fact they need to sit on top of soil and be exposed to sun made me realize it could be months before conditions are right to get these seeds to germinate

Boring photo of the pack dealie

View attachment 156919
I don't know if you've grown seeds like this very often.....but once you get a couple of "true leaves" and move your seedlings into seperate pots before you plant them in the ground they will need a period of time to "harden off"...if you don't let them harden off you can lose quite a few

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So, Monday afternoon I gently replanted the cigar tobacco seedlings into a dirt filled box, and did the Mohawk Tuesday - and they were doing great

I get up today, and something went through and ate all the cigar tobacco, leaving me only one seedling - no idea what got it

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, Monday afternoon I gently replanted the cigar tobacco seedlings into a dirt filled box, and did the Mohawk Tuesday - and they were doing great

I get up today, and something went through and ate all the cigar tobacco, leaving me only one seedling - no idea what got it
:cry:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

:(

VU Sponsors