Become a Patron!

Juice turns brown?

Newtsche

Member For 5 Years
Sometimes my juice turns brown in my Aspire Triton or Nautilus Mini tank. I go through a couple refills a day so the juice doesn't sit there that long. I wonder if some knock-off coils could be a problem. Genuine Aspire coils don't seem to create that brown color. Could the knock-offs have a problem with the coils fouling or burning or the "cotton" being different?

I've developed a bit of a hack, something I've not experienced before, vaping the same way for pushing a decade.
I'm an MTLer and mix my own unflavored juice -- PG,VG and Nic. Of course access to VG/PG has changed the last couple years, I hope that's not a problem. I've always stored my mixing materials in the fridge, not the freezer (no room). The VG/PG remain clear.

It's not like genuine Aspire coils are easily available and a dime a dozen. Push comes to shove I'll have to change tanks for a rebuildable that I can control the quality of. Hope it doesn't come to that, I have a lot of coils.

But yeah, never had a hack before and I'm thinking the brown juice isn't good for me.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If the juice turns brown in the tank quickly it's most likely from coil gunk getting mixed in with it.
You're probably right about the generic coils. It makes the most sense.
coil gunk mixes with the juice and it darkens.
I'd see a doctor about the hack just to be sure it's not something serious that is causing it.
I would stop using those coils for sure.
it sucks that you have a bunch of them.

Newtsche

Member For 5 Years
Thanks, guys. FWIW my unflavored mix is normally clear so any color is pretty evident.

I have a couple rough duty rigs, armored tank and the like. I don't use those much, they can sit a while and the juice will turn brown in time. I've vaped them with no particular problems although I'm not taking much in for extended periods.

As much as anything, I'm putting this out there. With changes in mixing supply availability, I wonder about the quality of PG, VG and Nic. And yeah, coils and "cotton".

And 5150sick, it turns out my lungs are being medically checked recently due to other stuff I have going on and they're ok. I hesitate to go to the doc with a hack because I know they'll take the easy way out and say quit vaping. So I'm keeping an eye on things and am pretty sure any hacks are exacerbated by or the result of other meds I'm on. Thanks for the thoughts.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VG, PG, Cotton, Wire are all used for many things. Don't believe there's any change there. As for nic, limited availability and high prices but haven't heard of anything fishy. Some places I kind of question their source.
Bottom line to me is if it's going in clear and turning dark without sitting for a long time, it's burning in the coil and gunking.

I have a couple used MTL RTA's listed in the hardware thread. If you pick up the $5 shipping you can have one if you want.
Have a little cotton and wire to throw in.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the offer BobsHere. I need to go through my stock and see how many genuine coils I have left. Maybe test the knockoffs and see if I can identify which of those are problems.
Did you get the "knock-offs" from e-bay? Made that mistake once (never again) The 5-packs had an average of 2 bad coils per pack (and I mean completely defective)

Newtsche

Member For 5 Years
Did you get the "knock-offs" from e-bay? Made that mistake once (never again) The 5-packs had an average of 2 bad coils per pack (and I mean completely defective)
I've never ordered coils from ebay. I think all mine have come from deals offered on the home page here over the years. I don't think there were any deceptive vendors offering genuine Aspire and sending knock-offs. The price was always a clue that the vendor was selling knock-offs, I've rolled the dice as genuine Aspire coils became harder to find.

Sometimes my juice turns brown in my Aspire Triton or Nautilus Mini tank. I go through a couple refills a day so the juice doesn't sit there that long. I wonder if some knock-off coils could be a problem. Genuine Aspire coils don't seem to create that brown color. Could the knock-offs have a problem with the coils fouling or burning or the "cotton" being different?

I've developed a bit of a hack, something I've not experienced before, vaping the same way for pushing a decade.
I'm an MTLer and mix my own unflavored juice -- PG,VG and Nic. Of course access to VG/PG has changed the last couple years, I hope that's not a problem. I've always stored my mixing materials in the fridge, not the freezer (no room). The VG/PG remain clear.

It's not like genuine Aspire coils are easily available and a dime a dozen. Push comes to shove I'll have to change tanks for a rebuildable that I can control the quality of. Hope it doesn't come to that, I have a lot of coils.

But yeah, never had a hack before and I'm thinking the brown juice isn't good for me.
Could very well be the coils unfortunately.. especially if it's not even sitting a day.
I've vaped over 10+yrs, heavy AF the past few or so (my friends call me DarthVapor online that I play games with on miclol *fuk I shoulda made that my name here! 🀬. Might made new one*)
Anyways, this week I went to RTA (got the GEEKVAPE ZX RTA, and have a profile x RTA on the way) ILL NEVER GO BACK TO PREMADE COILS!! I wish I went this route years ago!! 🀬.
Better flavour, and soo soooooo much cheaper! Like 50 cents or less for a dual coil n cotton replacement, vs 5-7$ a coil for my falcon 2 or Aquila tank I've used the past recent years!
It's super easy, plus I feel all fancy pants and smart tinkering around with it πŸ˜…πŸ€£. Only wicked one time sofar and sofar allz gtg.
I recommend you consider it!
The cost of 4or so months worth of old coils I'ma save has pretty much paid for 2 RTAs, and coil, mesh n cotton for the next 2-3+ years! Like $20 = 2yrs for coils and probably more like 5yrs tbh..

Cheers

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It's a Vaping miracle!!!!!

Not only did you both join within 15 minues of one another but you both have the same birthday!
.... and IP address. :rolleyes:

What a total miracle!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1687830698640.png
1687830726888.png

The rules clearly state: One account per person,
Please quit playing games.

You don't even have to have mod/admin powers to see common sense:

1687831253581.png
1687831368896.png

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
@5150sick , I don't think he meant to break any rules (maybe just didn't know?) He mentioned just wanting to change his user name. I hope this all works out well.
As long as he keeps using the one account only it's not a problem.
His advice was pretty solid.
Plus, I use Sourcemore all of the time and have never heard anything negative about Healthcabin.

Hey, OP! I randomly came across this video while surfing around YouTube vids, and thought of this thread. Might help you! And others. Helped me anyways (I'm new to RTA, making coils etc and still learning some stuff, but been Vaping 10+yrs)
Link:

Not only did you both join within 15 minues of one another but you both have the same birthday!

View attachment 205913
View attachment 205914

View attachment 205915

View attachment 205916
View attachment 205917
I'm only going to be using this account... The other one can be deleted... I clearly said what I said without hiding it. I just made my account here and 10min later wished I made a different name.. so I just made a new one since it's new anyways. ***Mods can go ahead and delete the Blergs account***. :/

View attachment 205913
View attachment 205914

View attachment 205915

View attachment 205916
View attachment 205917
I didn't try to hide it (said I'll probably just make it in post too).. I didn't think long enough on what name I wanted when I made account . But also didn't know on the rule (though that rule is common to have so as to avoid ppl messing around with a bunch of accounts and maybe scam ppl etc.)
Sorry for the hassle or upset though! πŸ˜…πŸ˜³πŸ™

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I didn't try to hide it (said I'll probably just make it in post too).. I didn't think long enough on what name I wanted when I made account . But also didn't know on the rule (though that rule is common to have so as to avoid ppl messing around with a bunch of accounts and maybe scam ppl etc.)
You're good. :)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It's mostly spammers. :)
They'll make a few accounts and then post in a few random threads. Everything seems fine but they'll come back a week or so later to edit random spam links into their posts.

There is also this one guy who keeps trying to rip people off.
He's been at it for about a year now.
If you ever post any looking to buy threads please be sure to check out the scammer post at the top of the classified sub before taking any offers that seem off.

It's mostly spammers. :)
They'll make a few accounts and then post in a few random threads. Everything seems fine but they'll come back a week or so later to edit random spam links into their posts.

There is also this one guy who keeps trying to rip people off.
He's been at it for about a year now.
If you ever post any looking to buy threads please be sure to check out the scammer post at the top of the classified sub before taking any offers that seem off.
Thank you πŸ™πŸ˜Έ I appreciate the heads up n info!

VU Sponsors