Become a Patron!

Juice turns black!

I have a juice from a local store that is my go-to daily Vape. It's a vanilla custard base in 18 milligram. I'm vaping it from a full-sized Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil. My sweet spot is 11 watts. Going in the tank it's a very opaque amber color. During the day as I vape it starts getting very dark and you can't see through it. The tank stays with me or at my desk and is not exposed to any extreme heat. I clean the tank at least every other day if not daily. I don't notice any great difference in taste as it gets darker. Any opinions on what's going on with this juice?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When was the last time you changed the coil ? An old coil will do that. If it's pretty new then I don't know.

Changed the coil within the week. It will turn black with a new coil within 48 hours. The tank is 5ml, it takes me about 2 days to go thru 4mls. Then I clean and refill.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know then. Are you priming the coils well before using them ? My wife's Nautilus Mini would only do that as the coil got older. Could be the juice have you tried anything else in the tank with a new coil ?

I don't know then. Are you priming the coils well before using them ? My wife's Nautilus Mini would only do that as the coil got older. Could be the juice have you tried anything else in the tank with a new coil ?
Priming and other juice doesn't turn dark. Could a sugar additive be burning causing the darkness? It's a sweet vape.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sometimes the heat generated by the coil will heat up just enough to darken your E-Liquid.

As long as it taste good and odds and ends don't start dropping off of your body, I would not sweat it!

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had that happen to me when I was using a pro tank 2. It was awhile ago but it only happened with one juice. That juice was also very very sweet. So maybe your right and it is a sweetener burning.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Priming and other juice doesn't turn dark. Could a sugar additive be burning causing the darkness? It's a sweet vape.

Well sounds like it's that one juice. Know what nic turns darker as it ages and you are vaping 18 mg so it may be that. Like UncleRJ said if it tastes good and you can get used to it getting darker then don't worry about it. You said other juices don't do it so it has to be something with that one juice.

Zovers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sunlight will also cause nicotine to oxidize which will lead to lowered nicotine levels and darkening of the liquid. If your desk sits in direct sunlight this could be at least part of the problem.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I make my own, so I have different flavors sittin around. The ones that contain custard note ingredients will turn black. However, this happens over weeks and months, not hours.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sweet and heat and large tank will cause it. You seem to have all three going on

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, it's a custard right?? A really sweet flavor? You've got a combination of things going on to produce a harmless result that at the worst will just give you a bad taste in your juice if you let it sit too long...

First of all, as said above...Nicotine oxidizes over time with exposure to light and even more with exposure to oxygen. There was a study to see how long it would take the nicotine to degrade and loose it's potency a couple years ago if left out open and exposed and in light (both natural and artificial,) and the result of the study is that despite the change in color from the oxidization process that it took almost three months to cause a loss in strength in the nicotine and even then it was minor, it was like a 1 or 2 mg difference. This can be easily and quickly proven with a still. You can take perfectly clear nic base, heat it up into vapor and let it travel through the still and re liquify and although the liquid was a nice amber color it was the same potency and just as pure, the only difference was the change in color from the oxidization resulting from the process of being heated to a vapor and turning back into a liquid again.

Also, along with this and espeically with sweeter liquids or more sugary flavors they can change colors more drastically as well...when you fire a vape up not all liquid that is in close proximity to the coil is instantly vaporized. some of it is super heated close to the vapor point but doesn't quite make it and there is a small amount of vapor that doesn't make it and is returned to it's liquid form causing the same process as described above to take place inside your tank....that's why as the day goes on and your tank get's lower the color can get darker....it's a result of some of your liquid getting "burned." This can change the flavor of it slightly but it doesn't make it harmful...just icky tasting at worst...and it can happen just as easily with a fresh coil as with an old one...just with an old one you have a bunch of gunk build up from this process that helps make the flavor even more....well...umm....interesting for lack of a better word will do.

Hope this helps...happy vaping! :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to go with the folks who've suggested that this particular liquid could have a lot of artificial sweeteners that are likely your culprit.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

youlandbb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey .. it's normal .. the nicotine in the juice will change the color of it ..and it will still have the same taste .. that's always happen with me !

2easy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a juice from a local store that is my go-to daily Vape. It's a vanilla custard base in 18 milligram. I'm vaping it from a full-sized Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil. My sweet spot is 11 watts. Going in the tank it's a very opaque amber color. During the day as I vape it starts getting very dark and you can't see through it. The tank stays with me or at my desk and is not exposed to any extreme heat. I clean the tank at least every other day if not daily. I don't notice any great difference in taste as it gets darker. Any opinions on what's going on with this juice?

I'd try turning down the wattage.It could be depending on the sweetener used is burning at 11 watts.This would turn the liquid dark and prematurely burn your coil.Good luck and happy vaping. Cheers

I had ran out of my favorite ejuice the other day, and was using some lesser favorites that had no flavor, I tried adding a dabble of vanilla extract, and my ejuice turned black as night.....almost instantly when I started trying it out...I now have some good juice. Some things you just can't add to your concoction.

VU Sponsors