Become a Patron!

Juice turning my cotton black?

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been using Vape Wild's juice for my ADV for about 5-6 months now. It's not the most outstanding flavor, but it's great for going through 20ml a day.

But recently, I've been a little concerned and annoyed by something. I switched from using my Squape R to my Taifun gt2s as my primary tank. The flavor from my squape was 100x better, but it started to leak from an unknown place, so I shelved it for a little bit. I am using the same juice (Fruit Hoops), on a 28g, 5 wrap, 3mm ID Kanthal coil. In my squape this came out to 1.07 ohms, and 1.22 on my Taifun.

Back to my point... I've never experienced this before, but my clear juice is turning my organic cotton wicks black. Not burnt. Actually, under the coil the cotton is white as the day I put it in. But the ends of the cotton that soak up the juice are getting coated in this nasty black gunk. I've scrubbed the tank clean multiple times. Nothing fixes it.

What could be causing my wicks to get gunked up before the coil does?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Carbon build up from coil soaking into wick. I'm certain you've experienced it before, maybe you didn't notice or wasn't that bad but I guarantee if you've been vaping flavored liquid for a substantial amount of time, you've experienced it

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've seen that before. Definitely not this bad, nor this quickly. I build a coil, and within 1 day, it build up and leaches into my full tank of juice

Last edited:

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now that I've picked up my Squape again, I'm noticing that this tank doesn't produce that buildup at all. I'm using the same wire, the same number of wraps, and the same cotton. The only difference is the juice and the tank itself. Any thoughts on why this could be?

Now I'm thinking that it could be the juice itself. Maybe it is the sugar? But the juice making the buildup was 65%VG, and the one not building up is my own DIY 70%VG

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This isn't the first time I've heard this btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is a tank heat retention issue. It will vary from tank to tank. Even tanks from the same manufacturer, and same model.

Your cooking your juice. I'm a chain vaper. So It happens to me occasionally, especially using the Kanger Mini.

There's not really a lot of things you can do to prevent it. Unless you turn the wattage down, or change tanks.

This also happens with so called premium juices, due to the high sweetener (VG) content of the juice. Caramelization is what it is. It eventually begins to taste like toe jam.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's strange, since I have it set up at 1.2 ohms, and I vape at 13 watts. It doesn't seem to get hot too often.

It makes sense, but I haven't changed my style of vaping in a little under a year, and this issue is really new. The only new item in my collection is that tank. Does the Taifun GT hold heat better?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's strange, since I have it set up at 1.2 ohms, and I vape at 13 watts. It doesn't seem to get hot too often.

It makes sense, but I haven't changed my style of vaping in a little under a year, and this issue is really new. The only new item in my collection is that tank. Does the Taifun GT hold heat better?

Only you can answer that one. You're holding the tank. :)

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Next time I notice it I'll try to post some pic for you guys to see

VU Sponsors