Become a Patron!

juice making for shop

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My local shop approched me to make juice for them. It'll be the house juice. What is fair to charge them for this? They want 2 flavors a week to make 16oz bottles that they'll make $300 on. Any insight would help.

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right but I'll actually be creating the recipes. They supply the ingredients and I the flavors.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no idea if this is "done" in the industry (I'm not in the industry) but it seems to me your best bet would be to negotiate for a (small) percentage of gross sales on your original flavors. That means that if one of your wonderful creations takes off and becomes a cult favorite, you will reap proportionate rewards. It will also incentivize you to make the best juice you possibly can.

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no idea if this is "done" in the industry (I'm not in the industry) but it seems to me your best bet would be to negotiate for a (small) percentage of gross sales on your original flavors. That means that if one of your wonderful creations takes off and becomes a cult favorite, you will reap proportionate rewards. It will also incentivize you to make the best juice you possibly can.

I was thinking a percentage of each bottle but your idea is great and on a much grander scale. Definitely worth considering

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would say a % of every sale. That way you make sure you're at least getting something on every bottle. But if your services are in demand...a "signing bonus" wouldn't be out of the question as well. If it's good enough for atheletes..... :)

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would say a % of every sale. That way you make sure you're at least getting something on every bottle. But if your services are in demand...a "signing bonus" wouldn't be out of the question as well. If it's good enough for atheletes..... :)

Signing bonus lol. I was thinking something like $100 -$150 so more like $125 a bottle. That's not being greedy is it?

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They won't go for that man. Basically you're saying you want to be practically 50/50 partners. They pay the rent on the store, they buy the flavors, nic, PG/VG, bottles etc etc. I'd be surprised if they were willing to give more than $60 to $75 a bottle. Yes you're creating, but it's on their dime, sold in their store..etc. I mean you can ask for the moon, all they can say is no. But this isn't a "get rich" proposition by any means. You will make a few bucks and have something to put on your resume' if you try to pursue larger companies for a job. But you have to be realistic. Ask for what you want to ask for though..I'm not advising you not too. I'm just looking at it from the business owner's perspective and if this person has half a business brain..they probably won't even entertain that figure. If they do...tell them you need an assistant and I will be RIGHT DOWN!! LMAO :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Not a clue if they are providing the PG/VG and Nic and you the flavors?

25 to 35% of the sales price?

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a clue if they are providing the PG/VG and Nic and you the flavors?

25 to 35% of the sales price?

I was under the impression they were buying everything and he was only creating the juice. If I wasn't right, then of course you have to figure your costs into it...absolutely!

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They won't go for that man. Basically you're saying you want to be practically 50/50 partners. They pay the rent on the store, they buy the flavors, nic, PG/VG, bottles etc etc. I'd be surprised if they were willing to give more than $60 to $75 a bottle. Yes you're creating, but it's on their dime, sold in their store..etc. I mean you can ask for the moon, all they can say is no. But this isn't a "get rich" proposition by any means. You will make a few bucks and have something to put on your resume' if you try to pursue larger companies for a job. But you have to be realistic. Ask for what you want to ask for though..I'm not advising you not too. I'm just looking at it from the business owner's perspective and if this person has half a business brain..they probably won't even entertain that figure. If they do...tell them you need an assistant and I will be RIGHT DOWN!! LMAO :)

Good point again. What about selling them the recipes and they can do the rest?

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was under the impression they were buying everything and he was only creating the juice. If I wasn't right, then of course you have to figure your costs into it...absolutely!

They provide the ingredients, nic per customer needs. I just get to go crazy figuring out what's good. 1 fruit and 1 desert or custard a week.

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I might have to make 2or more flavors just for them to take one. That's the part that gets me. I guess it's all part of r&d.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Impossible to put a number on that upfront. I mean...how much experience do you have? How long have you been mixing? Have you sold recipes before? Do you currently have recipes? Does the shop sell other "premium" juice lines? If I'm wrong, tell me, but it almost seems as if you are just getting into DIY and convinced this store owner to give you a shot. I would also STRONGLY advise against swiping recipes you find on the internet and trying to pass them off as your own.

All that aside, you'll get even less upfront because you don't have any proven recipes, unless they try it and are completely blown away. Even then, maybe a couple hundred bucks at the most. I mean I know you are excited and see dollar signs, but like I said, this isn't gonna be as much $ as you think or expect. Not trying to be negative. Just trying to get you to think realistically.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think your best bet would be the % of sales thing. But there again, you have to be realistic. If it's all on their dime, they might give you 10%. But it'll keep you working there...and hopefully they will be cool enough to maybe give you free juice or at least good discounts on juice or equipment. Your best value here is a long term relationship. No quick cash to be made.

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Impossible to put a number on that upfront. I mean...how much experience do you have? How long have you been mixing? Have you sold recipes before? Do you currently have recipes? Does the shop sell other "premium" juice lines? If I'm wrong, tell me, but it almost seems as if you are just getting into DIY and convinced this store owner to give you a shot. I would also STRONGLY advise against swiping recipes you find on the internet and trying to pass them off as your own.

All that aside, you'll get even less upfront because you don't have any proven recipes, unless they try it and are completely blown away. Even then, maybe a couple hundred bucks at the most. I mean I know you are excited and see dollar signs, but like I said, this isn't gonna be as much $ as you think or expect. Not trying to be negative. Just trying to get you to think realistically.

I was working there for a bit and another employee got me started on making juice. So I started making some for myself and shared with the shop and customers. I've got about six really good( according to other people's tastebuds) flavors. Mostly custards or deserts. These are my own ideas based on what i like. I have a feeling he may just want me to make these with online recipes. Asking me if I could clone muffin man. We'll see. I go there tomorrow. Thanks for some real insight. Pm me an address I'll send you a 15ml. Thanks for the help.

Pegasus Vape

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hey @Ro-sham-bo

Just a bit of random advice...take it or leave it ;)

Our company supplies a few local vape stores however it's a slightly different situation because it's our cost of goods sold... therefore slightly different than what you are embarking. Regardless, considering a few of the details you mention (provisions taken care of by the shop) those COGS are theirs and not yours so that has to be taken into the equation. A 10% cut would actually be very good IMO since you're not absorbing any costs at all really. Time and labor is rather minimal if they truly have all the necessary facilities and equipment, so you should be able to mix relatively quickly.

Either way, props to ya, it's one hell of a fun job regardless the cut!!

Happy vaping & Mixing!

Ro-sham-bo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @Ro-sham-bo

Just a bit of random advice...take it or leave it ;)

Our company supplies a few local vape stores however it's a slightly different situation because it's our cost of goods sold... therefore slightly different than what you are embarking. Regardless, considering a few of the details you mention (provisions taken care of by the shop) those COGS are theirs and not yours so that has to be taken into the equation. A 10% cut would actually be very good IMO since you're not absorbing any costs at all really. Time and labor is rather minimal if they truly have all the necessary facilities and equipment, so you should be able to mix relatively quickly.

Either way, props to ya, it's one hell of a fun job regardless the cut!!

Happy vaping & Mixing!

Thank you. I'll let you know how
It goes.

VU Sponsors