Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Glyphosate is showing up predominately in food made with oats because oats and wheat are sprayed with glyphosate to kill the crop right before harvesting. It is a practice that is not necessary and should be stopped. Companies need to step up and make sure their products are free of glyphosate before they hit store shelves.

but... but.. Oats are supposed to be good for ya.

They’re good for you if they’re not poisoned with glyphosate! Lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you my friend, I feel the same way. I eat oatmeal "every" day but pay the extra to get Organic-gluten free oats. But you are absolutely right there shouldn't be ANY food with any amounts of glyphosate offered for human consumption.

Oats are good for you, just have to be sure to get Organic and in my case also gluten free

Have you checked with EWG to make sure your oats don’t contain any glyphosate at all? Looking back, I think I had a bad reaction to oats when I was eating them a few years ago. I can’t remember what brand I was using, though.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Food for Thought
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

mail
mail
mail

Good day, Jim!
We'd like to pull aside the velvet rope and invite you to a brand new film that won 9 awards about healing and preventing cancer!

--->>The film is called Cancer: The Integrative Perspective, and you can watch it for free on March 6th and 7th when you register for free now!

When you join us for this film, you'll learn of real and empowering solutions that thousands around the word have used for preventing and reversing cancer with natural, holistic, integrative methods.

A number of the practitioners and patients are in this film share their stories of exactly how they reversed cancer!

Empower yourself with cutting-edge information you won't find anywhere else about the latest natural and integrative solutions for preventing and reversing cancer!

Nathan Crane took nearly 5 years to complete this film. It highlights important information about cancer that has not been shared publicly until now, from such well-known experts as:

• Bruce Lipton
  • Gregg Braden
  • Dr. Leigh Erin Connealy
  • Bill Henderson
  • Burton Goldberg
  • Dr. Thomas Lodi
  • Chris Wark
  • Master Mingtong Gu
  • Ty Bollinger
  • Dr. Francisco Contreras
  • Dr. Sunil Pai
  • Dr. Sue Kim
  • And Many others!

What you learn in this documentary (and the bonus content you'll receive ) could potentially save your life or the life of a loved one.

You'll learn credible, actionable information from many of the top, most-trusted cancer and health experts on the planet.

You’ll also learn from real people who have actually reversed cancer using natural and holistic methods, and some of them who have done it more than once.

When you put what you learn from this film into action in your life or that of a friend/family member, the results could be incredible!

--->>Join us for Cancer: The Integrative Perspective on March 6th and 7th when you register for free now!
To your health,
Bob & Bobby
Co-founders, Health Talks Online

P.S. The more you know. The more you take time to learn. It often only takes that one epiphany to unlock the health puzzles many of us are trying to solve -- we appreciate it when you take time from your busy schedule to join us, and hope to see you at this incredible film by Nathan Crane!
Sign in to your HealthMeans account now!
Have a question? Contact us!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mood swings are a common complaint that I hear from A LOT of women.

This could mean anxiety, depression, sadness, anger, or just apathy.

Sadly, many women do not talk about these feelings because historically women have been ostracized, put on heavy medications or completely dismissed for these feelings.

Just like with any health imbalance, there is not just ONE cause to mood swings. However, often times it is one of the following causes or a combination of a couple:

1. Gut health
Have you heard of the gut-brain connection?

Well, here’s the thing….the human brain is lined with more than 100 million nerve cells, more than in the spinal cord or in the peripheral nervous system. This explains why antibiotics which disturb the gut microbial ecosystem might cause neuropsychiatric effects, interact with psychotropic medications, and/or influence our mood.

There have been clinical trials linking celiac disease to children suffering from anxiety. Not to mention, chemicals implicated in depression such serotonin are primarily manufactured in the gut….not the brain.

Scientists have found that gut bacteria produce many other neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, acetylcholine, and GABA, which are critical for mood, anxiety, concentration, reward, and motivation. The gut microbiome can cause changes in how our brains react.

The gut and food therapy is the first place that I always start with clients suffering from mood disorders and is a large component of the Inside Out Program.

2. Hormones

Did you know that your gut health impacts your hormones?

Yep, everything is connected!

If your gut microbiome is imbalanced you likely have a leaky gut. Leaky gut means that your intestinal lining cells aka tight junctions are not working properly. This allows larger molecules (food proteins) to slip through the gut wall and create a systemic immune response and chronic inflammation. This process can lead to hormone imbalances including insulin resistance.

Leaky gut and other gut imbalances can impact other hormones including estrogen by disrupting estrobolome, the gut bacteria that metabolize estrogens.

Let’s just say your gut is in order, there are other ways that hormones can lead to mood imbalances.

There are generally four phases to a woman's menstrual cycle: menstrual, follicular, ovulation, and luteal. Hormones like estrogen and progesterone play integral roles in the cycle of menstruation, yielding different physical symptoms and changes in your mood and emotions.

Post ovulation progesterone dips An imbalance of estrogen and progesterone can affect your levels of serotonin and bring on strong premenstrual-syndrome symptoms like anxiety, depression, irritability and mood swings.

If a woman is in menopause, this overall decrease of hormones plus the compounded imbalances that were occuring pre menopause can lead to mood disorders as well.

3. Mindset

My approach to health is ALWAY body, mind and spirit. What this looks like is functional lab tests, dietary and herbal protocols, lifestyle adaptations and LOTS of mindset work.

A faulty mindset can flood your system with stress hormones and make you anxious all the time. This stress negatively impacts the gut and the hormones!

One of the most impactful things you can do for your health is to gain self regulation over your state of mind. This means being able to regulate the quality of your consciousness as it relates to your outer world and the inner thoughts and emotions that are generated.

When you master this, you will understand that life is not happening TO you but rather FOR you.

So many people are in constant reaction to their lives. They believe that they are victim to their circumstances and therefore their mood is too.

This limiting belief leads to life of unhappiness, unfulfillment, poor health and anxiety.

One of the biggest forms of freedom is realizing that you get to generate your mood and that you can cultivate feelings completely independent of the outside people and events.

If you have optimal hormones and a healthy gut but still find yourself with mood swings, it’s imperative that you start to work on you limiting beliefs and mindset.

So here’s the thing Jim....at the end of the day you are human. It is natural to have feelings that ebb and flow. This information is not to encourage spiritual bypassing in any way. But your feelings should not be in the driver seat of your life. They should be used as helpful feedback to make decisions, listen to your body, and unlock fears that may be keeping you stuck.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Struggling to Sleep without Booze? Eastern Secrets Inside

If you’re worried and you can’t sleep…

Have a nightcap to unwind! Take some cough medicine. Eat a second helping. Pace the hallway. Squeeze your eyes shut. Give your social media one final scroll.

Right?

For a need that all humanity has in common, there are some pretty common misconceptions about sleep, how to get it, and what it looks like when it’s healthy. And frankly, most of the advice is Western-leaning.

Let’s clear a few things up right out of the gate.

1. You can’t catch up on sleep. If you get two hours one night, and ten hours the next night, it doesn’t even out.
  2. Drinking alcohol before bed means that the alcohol is metabolized through the night and will reduce your REM sleep (or rapid eye movement).
  3. Counting sheep actually prolongs your journey to slumberland.

Nearly a third of all Americans sleep less than six hours per night. The other huge contributing factor is how busy most of our lives are. Sleep is the place most people feel comfortable cutting corners.

And it’s an enormous mistake.

Our toxic relationship with sleep is a Western malady. Perhaps the solution ought not be a Western one.

You see, in traditional Chinese medical physiology, everything falls into one of two categories: yin and yang qi (or energy). Yang energy is characterized by physical exertion, logical analysis, ambition, stress, etc. Yang energy rules your waking self.

Yin energy is the opposite — it’s responsible for our emotional selves, intuition, creativity, sleep, softness, and darkness.

So to activate powerful and restful sleep, you have to perform a delicate clutch shift from the yang energy of the daytime to the yin energy of the nighttime.

Here’s what Eastern practices recommend…

Eating More Yin (Cooling Foods)

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), undersleeping is associated with a yin deficiency, just as sleeping too much would be point to a yang deficiency.

If your diet contains too many “yang” foods - like spicy food, alcohol, caffeine, and sweets - it’s likely that your liver is overwhelmed with yang energy.

Introduce more “yin” foods into your daily diet. Yin foods have a high water content, like cucumber, watermelon, tofu, watercress, bananas, carrots, cabbage, star fruit, crab, duck, and more.

Trouble sleeping suggests an energy imbalance. Restore the balance.

Chrysanthemum tea

Made from the leaves of the flower, chrysanthemum tea is a common floral remedy in TCM. They do all kinds of things - promote circulation, preserve energy, clear wind and heat, cool the body, and drive toxins out of the body.

Chrysanthemum tea can be a very powerful sleep aid, as it dissipates heat and encourages cooling in the liver and the rest of the body.

It’s very effective in tea form, which means your only responsibility is to have it in the house, and use it when you need it. Make sure that you’re sourcing your teas from organic and certified tea vendors. Avoid buying tea bags contained in plastic wrapping, for example, and opt instead for loose leaf tea that you can brew with hot water.

Acupressure Massages

Although acupuncture itself can be a very useful tool in dealing with insomnia, not everyone can afford it, nor is it a practical solution at the moment of sleeplessness.

However, the lessons of acupuncture can be applied at home. For example, there is a pressure point right behind your ear, called anmian, or “peaceful sleep.”

You can find it about an inch behind your lobe, between your ear the base of your skull. There’s a slight depression there, and if you gently massage it in a circular motion (about 100 times), you should find yourself in a more relaxed space and better able to fall asleep.

Hot Water Foot Soak

Most people should be able to do this in a pinch.

Here’s the idea: When you can’t sleep, you’re overstimulated. Whether the imbalance of energy is located in the liver, the heart, or the brain, you’ve got to find a way to deplete the yang energy in the body and encourage the yin.

Helping the blood flow away from the brain can be a game-changer. Soaking your feet and lower legs in hot water expands the blood vessels and draws blood away from the top half of your body.

You can even add ginger powder to your soak to promote yang energy if you’d like. And when you can feel yourself sweating slightly, that’s an indication that the qi channels in the body have become unblocked.

Nothing is a foolproof method.

Just like in Western medicine, sometimes different methods help some more than others.

If chrysanthemum tea doesn’t work for you, it’s possible soaking your feet in hot water will! Try your best not to become discouraged.

As with anything in our lives, intention and patience make the difference. Learn how your body responds to external forces.

And sleep tight!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,

This one is a doozy...so please read carefully, ok? And know that I wrote it because someone wrote me and told me she’s struggling with the fact that she sits all day for work and eats at her desk. :(

This is what I’d tell her...and I hope it helps you, too.

Sitting all day long is probably killing you slowly…

...and you need to read this carefully if you sit for longer than 10 minutes at a time. According to the latest research, sitting is the new smoking.

And it doesn’t matter if you exercise or take walks. If you sit for over 10 minutes at a time, your risk of early death starts to rise.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Clinical cardiologist and Sr. scientist David Alter - who works with the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and University Health Network - is quoted as saying,”I make certain that patients receive appropriate medical therapies to improve their quality of life and longevity. But physical activity is one therapy I cannot prescribe as effectively.”

And he’s right.

One solution to this problem is to start thinking about physical activity like it’s a pill we have to take every day.

Just like other medical prescriptions, our “medication” of exercise takes preparation, a certain amount, and even a strength.

It’s just like a pill...but most people don’t think this way. My hope is this email can help you figure out what to do for your own situation so you don’t end up killing yourself as well.

Before we get too deeply into it, today, know that you’re going to need to pay close attention to your behaviours, the minutes you exercise, and how vigorous your workout was.

You’re also going to want to count how many hours per day you’re sitting or lying down, and you’ll want to keep up with how many minutes you’re sitting at any given point in time.

But first...

What’s so bad about sitting, anyway???

I asked the same question.

After all, when you’re sitting, you’re not doing anything strenuous. I can’t be that bad right?

WRONG.

A recent study looking at over 130,000 patients who are spread across over 17 countries internationally discovered that that one in 12 deaths could be prevented if people simply exercised for 30 minutes every day, five days per week.

Nothing crazy like HIIT or even sprint interval training. If they exercised at moderate intensity, they got these results.

See...exercise has the ability to prevent or reduce the effects of lots of chronic diseases like...

• Heart attacks
  • Strokes
  • Diabetes, and…
  • Cancer.
Exercise makes our “heart fitness” levels better and is a great indicator of how well oxygen moves from our blood and into our organs and tissues where they’re desperately needed.

And this is tied real closely to our ability to survive. Written plainly, if your heart isn’t working as well as it should, your life expectancy won’t be anywhere close to normal.

But if we look deeper, we’ll find something starling.

The cold, hard fact coming from research is...while exercise helps a lot, it’s our sitting times and sedentary behaviour that seem to have the greatest impact on our overall health, right now.

And this is regardless of whether or not we exercise!

For example...a recent review in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that people who are sedentary for six to nine hours a day have a much higher risk of death, cancer, and heart disease.

The greatest risk seems to come in the form of developing diabetes.

According to the study, moderate physical activity made it a little better...but not by much.

It’s the DURATION we sit at one time that matters the most.

See...people who sit for a long time don’t burn as many calories. This naturally means they will weigh more, their joints won’t be as flexible or as ready for physical activity.

And overall, they’re going to have a slower metabolism, higher levels of toxicity through their whole bodies, and they’ll be way more likely to develop chronic diseases than people who stand, walk, or otherwise move their bodies for the majority of the day.

I haven’t even discussed mental health, yet. (That’s an entire conversation for another day.)

Is Laziness The Newest Trend?

Humans are designed from birth to MOVE. If you don’t believe me, all you have to do is take a look at a baby or a toddler.

Once they have the necessary motor skills for sitting, pulling up, standing, crawling, walking, and running...you can’t keep up with them. For most parents, keeping up with a toddler is a full-time job.

The average baby and toddler will explore whatever space they happen to be in...and you can’t stop them. The NEED to move.

In our modern society, at some point, children become more sedentary. It could be because their parents parked them in front of the TV or gave them a device to quiet them.

Regardless...once this happens, the seeds physical inactivity have been planted, and it’s almost impossible to stop it once it’s started.

All you have to do is a cursory search online and you’ll read story after story of the devastating physical and psychosocial effects that being sedentary has on children.

Nowadays, we se everything from obesity to suicide in children. And the saddest thing of all is that most parents can’t offer much help because they’re struggling, too!

Of course, things haven’t always been this way. In fact...as recently as the 1960’s, people were still walking a lot and sitting for 6+ hours in a day was almost unheard of.

Sadly, modern humans burn way fewer calories from their through physical activity. If we keep this up, humans are looking at a sick future filled with people dying at younger and younger ages.

Sound scary?

GOOD! Now...here’s how you survive.

Counting will help you live longer

To avoid sitting yourself to death, you can follow these simple strategies...and please know that THESE WORK.

They’re super simple, and anyone can do these things.

1. Eat 15 minutes before you leave home for the day - or if you work from home, eat 15 minutes before starting work. After eating, move your body. That way, you get to burn calories before you sit down.
  2. Take frequent standing or walking breaks. I get it. You have deadlines and need to get your work done. But take breaks. Often. Your life, health, and weight depend on it.
  3. Limit sitting episodes to under 30 minutes (particularly at work). Make sure you pay attention to when 30 minutes have passed. That’s the critical number and is close enough to 10 minutes that it will help.
  4. Take 10,000 steps or more per day. People often write to tell me 10,000 steps is way too many. I disagree. In perspective, it takes about an hour to walk this much if you’re moving at a moderate walking speed. Break it up into 30 minutes in the morning after you eat and 30 in the afternoon or evening (again, after you eat). If you can make it part of getting to and from work, even better! Exercising this way moves glucose out of your blood and into your muscles quickly.
  5. Engage in 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per week. For you, it might be power walking or alternating walking and running. If you’re doing #3, already, skip this one.
  6. Engage in resistance (strength) training two days per week. This is important for your bones and for your overall strength as you get older. Strength training improves muscle mass and metabolism. It also helps you not gain as much weight and helps to prevent osteoporosis.
In closing...though humans are made to move, city life, technology, and societal norms have caused us to sit a lot and be way more sedentary than we’ve ever been.

And the solution may be as simple as counting.

Let me know how this worked for you, ok?

I think it’ll help you a lot if you sit a lot and have the tendency to eat meals at your desk.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OH NO! Can't stand very much and now sitting is killing me?
I am just doomed I tell ya.

VU Sponsors