Become a Patron!

I've been thinking about RDA's, but I dont know anything about them

aarmou

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been reading about RDA's and they sound awesome. I am not into cloudchasing yet, but I'm not sure what I would need to get into RDA's besides an ohm reader. I think I would have to build a coil out of Kanthal? It obviously depends on what gauge of wire I use. I get how to calculate ohms and resistance (I have a background in electronics), but the rest of it is kinda foggy. I am not sure what kind of gear I would need (like 18650 batteries). There is so much stuff on the internet. How do I know what I can use in rebuildables. Any info would be much obliged. If I said or say something dumb, please just let me know.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://www.vaporbeast.com/igo-w4-dual-coil-rebuidable-atomizer.htmlYou could start of with an inexpensive RDA- I am thinking the IGO W4http://www.dragonflyecigs.com/dragonfly-igow4-p-981.html?osCsid=b99714b67e7e5a1ec90653e9cb4f564c-can be built single or dual coil. What mod do you have? Some Regulated Mods like my Sigelei 20watt will only fire to .7 ohm [ my Sigelei 30watt will fire to .5 ohm. Or you can Buy a clone Mechanical 18650 Mod.So you would want some 28 ga Kanthal and probably some 26ga . Keeping a single coil build at .5 ohm or above will not be to difficult with those gauges.[ and very safe with some good IMR high Drain Batteries] Find a online coil calculator like the one from SteamEngine[free] to determine the diameter of drill bit to use to wrap coil on and the number of wraps. A Ceramic tipped tweezers is good to have to make Micro Coils which are the easiest to start with. Also a butane pencil torch. Mine cost about $14 from Amazon + a canister of Good quality Butane for refilling. Like you said a ohm meter. Also a Set of Precision Screwdrivers like Stanleys for the RDA screws and can be used for wrappings coils also. Watch a couple of YouTube tutorials Videos on how to wrap a Micro Coil. Then when you get your RDA find a UTube Video on How to build that RDA. Good IMR High drain Batteries. Efest Purple IMR 2500mah or lots of threads on batteries here and on ECF forum. Organic Cotton Balls for wicking very cheap at CVS Walgreens Amazon ect.

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's where I buy my wire - quick shipping.

28 gauge is a good place to start out. 7 wraps will give you around 1.1-1.2 ohms then you can adjust from there and see what works best for you.

aarmou

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, thanks for the info. After watching some vids it looks like alot of people use clones. Are they safe? How can you be sure they are made correctly?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, thanks for the info. After watching some vids it looks like alot of people use clones. Are they safe? How can you be sure they are made correctly?
Check out vaping with twisted420 on YouTube, he reviews clones and is pretty real about pros/cons. Stingray or stingrayx clones are pretty good mods. Starting out a K100 or k101 are decent cheaper mods as well. Clone rdas are widely available. You can get some for under $10. Check out angel cigs.

aarmou

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When 420 calls it Vapetech does that mean Vapor Tech? That was very informative btw. The mod I was thinking of getting is called the Anubis mod and it looks just like the Pegasus that twisted was reviewing. Its on this site, but I dunno if its reputable which is why I was wondering about what twisted said.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When 420 calls it Vapetech does that mean Vapor Tech? That was very informative btw. The mod I was thinking of getting is called the Anubis mod and it looks just like the Pegasus that twisted was reviewing. Its on this site, but I dunno if its reputable which is why I was wondering about what twisted said.
Vapetek is a manufacturer, they make the clone. Vapor tek USA is definitely a reputable seller! You might like the v3 Flip clone if you like that mod.

aarmou

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That one is pretty sweet too. These mech mods seem pretty easy to use once you get the hang of them. A lot of info to get started though.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That one is pretty sweet too. These mech mods seem pretty easy to use once you get the hang of them. A lot of info to get started though.
The main thing is making sure you understand ohms law and staying safe with your battery. A mech doesn't have the safety features a regulated device does. I recommend a Sony vct4 or vct5 if you can find them. The efest 30amp or 30amp batteries are also good.
Check out cactusesmokes.com Bruce over there is a great guy out of Arizona has lots of clones, kanthal, rdas, mechs, batteries. I get all my unregulated mods and rdas from him, got a handful of batteries also. Feel free to call/email him, he'll hook you up!

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ask 10 different vapers what their preferred RDA is will likely get you 8-12 different answers. YouTube can be your best friend. Watch reviews, way the pros and cons. What is more important, flavor or vapor, do you like a lose air draw or a stiff draw, do you want to lung it the hell out of it or do you prefer a mouth to lung hit. Do your home work. I love what works for me, but to you it could be horrible. Vaping is very personal in a way, it is all about what works for you. Don't be afraid to watch a few videos on the same atty. You may find that there are some bias opinions.

VU Sponsors