Become a Patron!

Istick voltage change??

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I have just upgraded to a new eleaf istick and it is supposed to have 2v-8v for "puffs/hits".

I was able to change the watts to volts...but it won't go past 5.5v and I have no idea why as it is supposed to go to 8v.

I bought it to last me longer and I seem every 2 months need a stronger voltage for hits, so I thought this would last for a good while.

I don't know really anything about all the volts, watts and om's and the instrutions only told me how to chnge from watts to volts. Can anyone help me??

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 59

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess I should have been more clear given your level of understanding. Remember, the mod is rated up to 20W. It may be the case that your atomizer is pinned at 20W with 5.5V of power. Look at Ohm's law. It's really not that hard to decipher with a calculator.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To change between watts and volts press the power button 3 times! It looks as if that mod does go up to 30 watts, but it depends on the resistance of your coil on whether it can go that high.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To change between watts and volts press the power button 3 times! It looks as if that mod does go up to 30 watts, but it depends on the resistance of your coil on whether it can go that high.

I-stick comes in 3 flavors; 20W, 30W and 50W, I suspect this is a 20, but I could be wrong.

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I-stick comes in 3 flavors; 20W, 30W and 50W, I suspect this is a 20, but I could be wrong.
Ya i did that already and I have it on volts...but I cannot go up to 8v like it's supposed to. Oh...mine is the 20 or 30w??

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh where I buy from there is no info on anything....they didn't even give me a box..just the paper instructions and that has no answer to my question.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
5.5 volts coupled with a 1 ohm coil gives you 30.25 watts. You likely are running up against the wattage limitation of the device. It won't let you select higher than 5.5v because that would exceed it's wattage limitations with that particular coil. If you unscrew the topper you can set it to 8v. When you screw it back on it will read the resistance and automatically reduce that to something it can produce. It will do the same thing in wattage mode. It is very likely doing just what it was intended to do. None of the Isticks whether the 20w, 30w or 50w will let you make a selection that it can't safely produce. If you really want to turn it up to 8v you would need a coil with a 2.2 ohm or higher resistance. It would still be limited to 30w.
You can figure it out here.
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Last edited:

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Instead of fixating on what you perceive to be an issue, the real question is how does it vape?

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess I should have been more clear given your level of understanding. Remember, the mod is rated up to 20W. It may be the case that your atomizer is pinned at 20W with 5.5V of power. Look at Ohm's law. It's really not that hard to decipher with a calculator.
I don't know anything about these. I started vaperizors to stop smoking...and I have had to buy new ones every 2 months to get stronger "hits"?? I buy 2 batteries when I buy because buy the time it's over a month one battery is not lasting a entire day. But remember I use it as a smoking (nicotine) thing...not a hobby. I realized the store where I live is not telling me the truth about all that goes into these things so I keep buying more pricey ones.. And I looked at the site that someone told me to go to and I saw the same thing...not istick for $26...and I paid $65. So I had no idea that there were sites that you can buy cheaper battery packs and other stuff.. Maybe 33 is old because I am really not on the internet other then to shop or google things and apparently I really know nothing about all this stuff. I just need help with this thing. I was using vison spinners and the top parts off those with the coils I was told that they are compatable??? It's is working and I have it on 5.2v now...but I want to see what my money bought me with the 8v.

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Instead of fixating on what you perceive to be an issue, the real question is how does it vape?
Good. But when the amont that I need for a hit exceeds 5.5v what do I do? Have you used one of these? Why did you start these...to quit smoking?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Almost everyone on this forum started vaping to quit smoking! What are you using on top of this (what make is your tank?)

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't really want to experience an ego topper at 8v. Unless you enjoy nasty tasting burnt vapes. I cringe at the thought of one at 5.5v.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suspect that the nic level is also too low.

So, it sounds as if the 'istick' is fine. The issue is probably with the topper and maybe with the nic level.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was able to change the watts to volts...but it won't go past 5.5v and I have no idea why as it is supposed to go to 8v.
I feel your pain @VapeQueen and this has been my beef with the iStick mods from jump. It's not so much your vape shop misleading you as it is the manufacturer of the device that markets it in a way that can easily confuse people. Basically, it is simply a 30 watt mod. Yes, you can set it in voltage but it cannot exceed 30 watts without regard to what mode it is in. Thus, when you switched it over to VV to get more power, it wouldn't do anything more than what it did in VW mode.

Basically what the deal is is every VW mod has a voltage limitation, but most of them don't allow you to set the mod by voltage. So the volt limit of the device will be in the fine print of the spec sheet. Eleaf puts the voltage in the main description since they do allow you to set that, but what it does is mislead the casual consumer into thinking they are getting a mod that they can just set at 8 volts and vape it. Unfortunately, that device won't do that for you.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can set it to 8 volts - with a coil of 2.2 ohms or more. Every regulated mod has a voltage, wattage and amperage limitation. With some you can dial it up but it simply won't produce what it's set at. Eleaf limits the settings to what it can actually produce with a particular resistance. They are up front about it. A regulated mod that would actually try to meet demands that it can't safely produce would be criminal.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They are up front about it.
They are, if by "up front about it" you mean "very knowledgeable users can figure it out". If you mean "up front" as in making it clear to the average customer than they are far from "up front" about it.

Take the 20 watt mod. It's 2 watts to 20, and 3 volts to 5.5, and takes resistances between 1 and 3 ohms. To fire 3 ohms at 20 watts, you would need 7.7 volts. To fire it at 2 watts, you would need to go down to 2.4 volts. So, at it's highest accepted resistance, it can neither hit top nor bottom advertised wattage settings. At 1 ohm, it can get you up to 20, but it would need to be at 1.4 volts to get you down to 2 watts. It can't do that. Now your point would likely be that nobody would ever really want to vape at 2 watts, and I will concede that point, but they claim their device goes down to 2 watts yet it will not fire any atomizer you can put on it down to 2 watts. I don't see that as being up front. And let's face it, we are having this discussion based on a customer who bought one of their mods and didn't understand that it will only do what they say it will do if you attach a very limited range of devices.

Now, as for the top end, it will only fire atomizers in the 1 ohm to 1.5 ohm range up to 20 watts. If you're experienced, you can figure that out. If you're a novice vaper, and you have a 2 ohm Nautilus that you want to fire at 20 watts, you're going to be pissed when you get this device and it won't do it.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Up front means they won't let you make the setting. DNA 20 and 30's won't regulate below 4v but you can dial it down there and it will display lower voltages - just not actually produce them - and blink to let you know they're just kidding. All regulated devices have limits. There are any number of mods that don't actually produce what they show throughout their advertised ranges as many of Busardo's scope traces has demonstrated. The inability to produce the entire advertised range of voltage and or wattage with the full range of advertised resistances is by no means something only done by the Istick.
Learning is something you end up doing whether she cares to or not. Finding the forum and asking is a good start.

Last edited:

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So... You mean they are up front because after you buy it they make it clear that they can't actually fire any device at the advertised 2 watts. Gotcha. MOST people probably wouldn't consider that up front. And btw, I have a DNA 20 and it does have step down.

Yes, all regulated mods have limits. Name me one other 20 watt mod that can't get a 1.6 ohm atomizer to 20 watts.
TT

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah, the Evolv Experience (notice the name change?). Yes it does. I of course was referring and linked to the original Evolve DNA20 which most certainly does not.

Last edited:

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ah, the Evolv Experience and Innokin. Yes it does. I of course was referring and linked to the original Evolve DNA20 which most certainly does not.
No, the original doesn't. But I don't think that Evolv is marketing the original DNA 20 chip to the average entry level vaper who just wants to buy a box, solder some wires and a chip into it and vape. In their attempt to appeal to an entry level market that doesn't understand all of the intricacies, they went to an entry level device company and gave them a chip that would work well for newbies who wouldn't have known why the modder chip was hitting so hard when they set it so low. And that is precisely my complaint with the eLeaf line. They didn't do that. They marketed the device with setting which, some of them the device can never reach and others it can rarely reach. You say they are up front because the device won't let users fire it at those levels, but they have to buy it first to figure that out if they don't have a level of knowledge yet to figure that out. That, to me, is not up front. Hence, the nature of the post that we are replying to.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, I say it's up front because they won't let them SET it to those levels as opposed to letting you set it and then simply not producing it. Like any number of mods out there.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, I say it's up front because they won't let them SET it to those levels as opposed to letting you set it and then simply not producing it. Like any number of mods out there.
Anything that you find out after you buy a product is not up front. Up front would be not claiming the device goes down to a certain level just because you can set it there, when it fact there is no device that it will actually fire at that level. Your definition of "up front" is a very loose one.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm curious. Does it upset you that your SVD2 advertises 20w and an ohm range of 0.5 - 3 but can't hit 20w at a resistance over 2 ohms due to the 6.3V limit?

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm curious. Does it upset you that your SVD2 advertises 20w and an ohm range of 0.5 - 3 but can't hit 20w at a resistance over 2 ohms due to the 6.3V limit?
No, it sure doesn't. They advertise the mod as a 20 watt VW mod. I can get that mod up to 20 watts with half of the range of atomizers that it accepts. Would I like it better if it had enough power to get a 3 ohms atomizer up to 20 watts? Well, I don't vape that high, but in theory yes. It also doesn't bother me that it can only get a .5 ohm head down to 8 watts. The point you seem to be missing is that the SVD 2.0 will allow you to use every advertised setting with certain devices. The iStick doesn't allow you to reach some of it's advertised settings with any device that it can fire. Furthermore, the SVD allows you to get to the top and bottom settings with over half of the acceptable resistance range. The iStick can only get you up to 20 watts with 1/4 of the acceptable resistance range for the device.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So we're back to the 2 watt setting on the original Istick 20w. I get you.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi, I have just upgraded to a new eleaf istick and it is supposed to have 2v-8v for "puffs/hits".

I bought it to last me longer and I seem every 2 months need a stronger voltage for hits, so I thought this would last for a good while.

I don't know really anything about all the volts, watts and om's and the instrutions only told me how to chnge from watts to volts. Can anyone help me??

I believe this is what you have there...
"BOU 510 2200MAH VARIABLE VOLTAGE / WATTAGE VV / VW BATTERY MOD, 3.0~5.5V, 2.0~20.0W Model: 1872"

If this is accurate... you're max voltage is 5.5, not 8. Depending on your coil Ohms... the unit will prevent the voltage from going to high. I would just go with the Wattage an ignore what the voltage says. This is called "smart wattage"... when you are in the wattage mode the unit will detect the safest voltage.

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They are, if by "up front about it" you mean "very knowledgeable users can figure it out". If you mean "up front" as in making it clear to the average customer than they are far from "up front" about it.

Take the 20 watt mod. It's 2 watts to 20, and 3 volts to 5.5, and takes resistances between 1 and 3 ohms. To fire 3 ohms at 20 watts, you would need 7.7 volts. To fire it at 2 watts, you would need to go down to 2.4 volts. So, at it's highest accepted resistance, it can neither hit top nor bottom advertised wattage settings. At 1 ohm, it can get you up to 20, but it would need to be at 1.4 volts to get you down to 2 watts. It can't do that. Now your point would likely be that nobody would ever really want to vape at 2 watts, and I will concede that point, but they claim their device goes down to 2 watts yet it will not fire any atomizer you can put on it down to 2 watts. I don't see that as being up front. And let's face it, we are having this discussion based on a customer who bought one of their mods and didn't understand that it will only do what they say it will do if you attach a very limited range of devices.

Now, as for the top end, it will only fire atomizers in the 1 ohm to 1.5 ohm range up to 20 watts. If you're experienced, you can figure that out. If you're a novice vaper, and you have a 2 ohm Nautilus that you want to fire at 20 watts, you're going to be pissed when you get this device and it won't do it.
Thanks, your right they are not very upfront about anything. I bought this based on what I have been told and searched online that it will go up to 8v and that this will last me "forever" (not that I really believed that about forever)....but for $60 I really thought it would go up to 8v. I am vaping on 5.2-5.3 volts......but I know I am going to need more then this in the future.

I really don't know where to buy from now because I trusted the Divine E-Juice store that I have been buying from knew what the hell they where talking about. Is there anything other then ebay that I can buy what is advertized at great prices? IS there a very long lasting vaperizer that dose go up to 8v or higher? Any help you can give me would be great. Please keep in mind that I use these as a smoking substatute and know knothing about any of it...that's why I ask the people that sell them.

Last edited:

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe this is what you have there...
"BOU 510 2200MAH VARIABLE VOLTAGE / WATTAGE VV / VW BATTERY MOD, 3.0~5.5V, 2.0~20.0W Model: 1872"

If this is accurate... you're max voltage is 5.5, not 8. Depending on your coil Ohms... the unit will prevent the voltage from going to high. I would just go with the Wattage an ignore what the voltage says. This is called "smart wattage"... when you are in the wattage mode the unit will detect the safest voltage.
I don't know anything about watts or oms, I just know volts. Ok.....not that right now I need 8v ......I am using 5.2-5.3v, but where can I buy something that will get a higher voltage then 5.5? I seem to need a higher voltage every few months.

Last edited:

wildcoy73

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unregulated mod?
Cant see the high voltage yet. Get to much of a burnt taste.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, your right they are not very upfront about anything. I bought this based on what I have been told and searched online that it will go up to 8v and that this will last me "forever" (not that I really believed that about forever)....but for $60 I really thought it would go up to 8v. I am vaping on 5.2-5.3 volts......but I know I am going to need more then this in the future.

I really don't know where to buy from now because I trusted the Divine E-Juice store that I have been buying from knew what the hell they where talking about. Is there anything other then ebay that I can buy what is advertized at great prices? IS there a very long lasting vaperizer that dose go up to 8v or higher? Any help you can give me would be great. Please keep in mind that I use these as a smoking substatute and know knothing about any of it...that's why I ask the people that sell them.
There is a version that goes to 8V called the Istick 30W. Sounds like the one you were sold was either the first version or a clone of it that goes up to 5.5V with the right coil. You could try contacting Devine about the confusion about being capable of 8V and see if they will work with you on letting you return this one for one that is capable of what you want. Most of those that will use the wattage in the title not voltage so if you see one you like you have to look at the specifications to see what the voltage range it's capable of is. It also depends on what you want in size and shape. The Innokin MVP 20W can get you up to 7.5V. It has a built in battery like the Istick. It's a little larger and roughly $10 more expensive but Innokin has a pretty good reputation. I don't know what you are using for the tank that you screw on to it and put the juice in, or what level of nicotine you use in your juice but like AmandaD said you might get more satisfaction from finding one that suits you better or using a higher nicotine level juice. Quite a few folks have been successful in quitting using much less power than the basic Istick produces. Perhaps the need for more voltage is a reflection of how the rest of your stuff is working, not just the battery. Nothing wrong with more power and if you paid for something you were told by Devine would give you up to 8V that's what you should have received.

Last edited:

VapeQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is a version that goes to 8V called the Istick 30W. Sounds like the one you were sold was either the first version or a clone of it that goes up to 5.5V with the right coil. You could try contacting Devine about the confusion about being capable of 8V and see if they will work with you on letting you return this one for one that is capable of what you want. Most of those that will use the wattage in the title not voltage so if you see one you like you have to look at the specifications to see what the voltage range it's capable of is. It also depends on what you want in size and shape. The Innokin MVP 20W can get you up to 7.5V. It has a built in battery like the Istick. It's a little larger and roughly $10 more expensive but Innokin has a pretty good reputation. I don't know what you are using for the tank that you screw on to it and put the juice in, or what level of nicotine you use in your juice but like AmandaD said you might get more satisfaction from finding one that suits you better or using a higher nicotine level juice. Quite a few folks have been successful in quitting using much less power than the basic Istick produces. Perhaps the need for more voltage is a reflection of how the rest of your stuff is working, not just the battery. Nothing wrong with more power and if you paid for something you were told by Devine would give you up to 8V that's what you should have received.
Thanks I have now figured out that this is a 20w istick not the 30w or the 50w. I guess they know that I don't know much about these things so they can rip me off. I am bringing the other one (I bought 2) like what I am using back for a refund or store credit, as I am not too pleased with their sales tactics.
About the nicotine I am on 12mg now and don't really care to get off the nicotine at all, I have tried 18mg nicotine and it hurts....I was really looking for something to give me a stronger hit. Thanks for the help.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks I have now figured out that this is a 20w istick not the 30w or the 50w. I guess they know that I don't know much about these things so they can rip me off. I am bringing the other one (I bought 2) like what I am using back for a refund or store credit, as I am not too pleased with their sales tactics.
About the nicotine I am on 12mg now and don't really care to get off the nicotine at all, I have tried 18mg nicotine and it hurts....I was really looking for something to give me a stronger hit. Thanks for the help.
If you've tried higher nic and it doesn't suit then you might also try using a coil with a lower resistance than whatever you are using now, if one is available for what you're using. Doing so would give you more of an output at whatever voltage you are using. The resistance of the one you have would show on the Istick's screen as the top number just to the right of the battery icon. Do you know the name of the atomizer are you using now?

Every 2 months? Might be a silly question but it hasn't been asked.... HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE YOUR COIL?????

I know with mine I get 2 weeks max out of a coil and even less when it's at higher power. As the coil wears and starts clogging ( poor design on the crappy nautilus) I need to up the wattage bit by bit everyday. It's better with the kanger coils but still only two weeks tops and it's time for a new coil

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The device has a few limits. Voltage, current and wattage. I did the math, and @ 20 watts, with a 1.5 ohm load it will ONLY go up to 5.5 volts. That is hitting the watt limit. Try a 3.0 ohm coil, it will go higher. Its certainly NOT broken. If you need more voltage, you need more watts. like a 50-75 watt mod!

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I feel your pain @VapeQueen and this has been my beef with the iStick mods from jump. It's not so much your vape shop misleading you as it is the manufacturer of the device that markets it in a way that can easily confuse people. Basically, it is simply a 30 watt mod. Yes, you can set it in voltage but it cannot exceed 30 watts without regard to what mode it is in. Thus, when you switched it over to VV to get more power, it wouldn't do anything more than what it did in VW mode.

Basically what the deal is is every VW mod has a voltage limitation, but most of them don't allow you to set the mod by voltage. So the volt limit of the device will be in the fine print of the spec sheet. Eleaf puts the voltage in the main description since they do allow you to set that, but what it does is mislead the casual consumer into thinking they are getting a mod that they can just set at 8 volts and vape it. Unfortunately, that device won't do that for you.
No vv/vw device will go past its limit. The resistance of the coil determines the limit. For example, I am using a 0.83 ohm coil. I have a 30w mod. My mod goes from 3.6v to 7v, but at 30w on a 0.83 coil I am only pushing 4.99v and it won't go any higher. It's not misleading it depends whether you understand how it works or not.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you put it in voltage mode it will apply as many watts as it needs to in order to maintain that voltage at that resistance. If you put it in wattage mode it will apply enough volts to maintain that wattage. It will not go past its watts limit in voltage mode, nor past its voltage limit in wattage mode.

VU Sponsors