Become a Patron!

iStick Pico Problems

Hi Everyone. As my name suggests I'm trying to give up smoking. I've just started vaping and not touched a cigarette for 3 weeks now since I vaping and I love it. But I have a question. I have an iStick Pico with the Melo III Mini. I've just changed the 0.3 ohms coil that came in the box and put the 0.5 ohms coil in but found my vapes are now not as smooth as previously with crackling and spitting when I vape and it hitting my throat - whereas before I didn't have this problem. I'm not sure why this is happening? I think I may have flooded the coil a bit so that may be the reason or it maybe that the new coil is behaving differently. As I'm totally new to this I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on what might be the issue. (I only changed the coil last night.)

ps - also all the settings on the mod are totally confusing me. The only one I understand is that I set it at 40 w as that worked fine with the other coil. But what is all this TC and M1/2/3 Bypass and so on... can someone tell me what would be average or standard settings so I can just set it right in case I've messed them all up.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid. I'm almost 60 and never been good with technology.

Thanks

RS

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try lowering the wattage from 40 watts down to 25 or 30 watts. See if the vape suits you better down there. It may be too much power for that coil. The watts setting simply controls how much heat is being delivered to the coil. Too low and vapor drops off to almost nothing; too high and the coil may begin to burn the juice, which is very harsh.

As far as the TC (temperature control) and M1/2/3 settings, I'd leave them alone for right now. Those functions are typically for more advanced use, and should only be used with stainless steel, nickel or titanium wire coils. More on that note............

Make sure NOT to use nickel or titanium coils in your tank and use the pico in watts mode. Those two types of wire are made for temperature control use only.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hi Everyone. As my name suggests I'm trying to give up smoking. I've just started vaping and not touched a cigarette for 3 weeks now since I vaping and I love it. But I have a question. I have an iStick Pico with the Melo III Mini. I've just changed the 0.3 ohms coil that came in the box and put the 0.5 ohms coil in but found my vapes are now not as smooth as previously with crackling and spitting when I vape and it hitting my throat - whereas before I didn't have this problem. I'm not sure why this is happening? I think I may have flooded the coil a bit so that may be the reason or it maybe that the new coil is behaving differently. As I'm totally new to this I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on what might be the issue. (I only changed the coil last night.)

ps - also all the settings on the mod are totally confusing me. The only one I understand is that I set it at 40 w as that worked fine with the other coil. But what is all this TC and M1/2/3 Bypass and so on... can someone tell me what would be average or standard settings so I can just set it right in case I've messed them all up.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid. I'm almost 60 and never been good with technology.

Thanks

RS

Though it may not seem like much in resistance difference between the 0.3 and 0.5ohm coils, at sub-ohm (below a whole Ohm which both coils are sub-ohm), 0.2ohm difference can make a "Lot" of difference at higher wattage, especially in a pre-manufactured coil head. To help with longevity of the coil head and to help figure out the settings for a certain coil head, pull the wattage down to about 20 to 25 watts (or lowest wattage the coil head suggests), the wicking hasn't broken in fully, so like a new car, keep the MPH down below 50MPH the first 3000miles, coil heads are the same way, new coil head drop the watts, prime it really good, then about every 20 to 30minutes of constant use, take it up about 5watts increments until you get to your enjoyable vape. The spitting you are experiencing, give you a visual you have seen, drop of water dancing on a hot skillet pan on the stove, same exact principle is happening with the juice to coil wire inside the coil head, you add in a tighter air draw the 0.5 probably has over the 0.3, that air and suction is pulling heated juice off the wire into the air stream, to alleviate that you have to loosen the air flow and suction or lower the heat of the wire or power being supplied to it.

Vaporizers are simple but also pretty dang complex once you look at the mechanics and physics involved, minor things like nicotine strength, flavor, pg/vg ratio, wattage, air flow tightness/looseness, atomizer type, heck even ambient temperature and weather all influence the end product and vaping experience. Haven't torn apart a Melo 3 coil head myself, but in most instances with most coil heads, lower resistance means thicker wire which has less resistance (the 0.3ohm) where the 0.5ohm coil head might be using thinner wire that has more resistance, the coils themselves might be the same size diameter and all, but if one has more wire to wick/juice surface area contact it could either vape more efficiently at higher watts or the opposite has to much surface area, getting hotter and pulling more liquid to it than it can boil and vaporize efficiently enough to where the boiling liquid is just dancing and popping off the wire to be vacuumed up. If a tank crackles like a Chinese New Year celebration, loud enough to wake someone asleep in the next room it is so loud, tell tale sign the juice is popping and dancing on the wire, though some slight crackling and hissing is a good sign of the atomizer is working efficiently.

/edit
Welcome to vaping and VU. Any questions don't hesitate to ask, only stupid question is the one never asked around here ;)

Thanks so much guys you are awesome! I lowered the wattage to 25 and it has improved immensely. I do feel silly now as it seems so simple. I will have a go increasing slightly as the days go by and stop when I think I have found the best setting for me. Thanks again guys.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks so much guys you are awesome! I lowered the wattage to 25 and it has improved immensely. I do feel silly now as it seems so simple. I will have a go increasing slightly as the days go by and stop when I think I have found the best setting for me. Thanks again guys.

Once you start getting the hang of things, scroll down on the main page and visit the coil, wicking and juice threads. Also, there are many many many vids on Youtube about all this stuff and your device. That is where I and many of us learned along with places like here. Welcome!

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Watch some you tube videos. You have an extremely popular device with a popular board with many videos available. Most good reviewers go over the whole menu system.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors