Become a Patron!

iStick 50W Question - not reaching 50W

Just received my iStick 50W mod. This is my first iStick type mod so I'm not sure if this is normal.

The range on the device is 5W/3.2V and up to 47.6W/9.9V max . It does not reach actual 50W nor do my watt and voltage readouts match the readouts of YouTube iStick 50W reviews. IE: When their watt=X and voltage =Y, mine does not read the same but is .5+ and more in difference.

Is this a normal proper range then or is the device defective?

Thanks in advance!

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, it's not defective :) The range depends on what ohm coil you're using. From the numbers you give, I'd say you have a 2 ohm coil there. If you have, then that's the proper range - limited to 5W at the lower end, and 50W/10V at the other. In voltage mode, stepping up to 10V would exceed the 50W limit. In wattage mode you might get a little bit more out of it, but it would still stop short of 50W due to the 10V limit.

Likewise, you won't match the reviewer's results unless you have the same resistance coil.

Thought about that however It's the factory coil that comes with the unit. I figured it would be factory spec'd to range with that default coil...

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thought about that however It's the factory coil that comes with the unit. I figured it would be factory spec'd to range with that default coil...

With what unit? Did you get it as a kit with a tank? Different sites/vendors will put together different kits there's not necessarily a single "istick 50W kit"

Ah gotcha, yes I should have included that I am using a Kanger Aerotank Mega that has a Bottom dual Coil 2.0ohm. My apologizes for that....too early still. The iStick was sold as a stand along unit, no tank. So, I'm hearing it must be the coil resistance that it giving me the alternate values. What threw me off was the video I was watching had the iStick 50W with a Kanger Mega tank on it, so I figured the values should be similar since it's the same setup, I would think ....

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would think 50W would be to high for that coil........probably burn out instantly :eek:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I haven't looked much mot the 50w istick or the board it uses, but you'll have voltage, wattage and amperage limits. if any one of those limits is reached most regulated mode either wont fire, or will fire but it'll be at the boards limits. l

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Istick simply won't let you dial up a wattage or voltage that it can't produce with the resistance it measures.

Yeah.. I would never set it at 50W for the Kanger Mega , I'm usually around 12w-15w'ish for this tank/coil. Just concerned that the iStick is not operating within it's advertised limits.

I'll have to try compare it with other tanks and see how it reads out different based on the different coils. It makes sense that the wattage and voltage would be different based on the coil. Still kinda wonder how those review videos hit 50W though, must be the coil(s) they have in ...

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
do you have anything with a slightly lower resistance you could test it with?

I have a Kanger EVOD standard tank with the 1st generation coils. I'd have to look up the specs on those single coils. Also have a Kanger Genitank Mini but I think that has the same dual-coils as the Mega.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I definitely agree here. I own 5 iSticks... This is the best feature of the iSticks... they don't let you blow yourself up! :)
What you are experiencing is completely normal for a 2.0ohm coil. Throw a 1.5 or maybe even a 1.8 on there and you'll find it'll go right on up to 50W.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the istick is great and with that 50W capability it really opens up a world of possible uses! My wife uses her 30W with a dripper all day long, I want one myself now and I usually hate anything with non-replaceable batteries!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a Kanger EVOD standard tank with the 1st generation coils. I'd have to look up the specs on those single coils. Also have a Kanger Genitank Mini but I think that has the same dual-coils as the Mega.

those stock Kanger original single coils were meant to vape below ten watts...more like below 8 if you go by Kanger's recommendations....you can rebuild them to get a little more out of them but even the Aerotank dual coils aren't meant to push high wattage. you're looking into the 10-20 watt range. Maybe a little more with the .8 heads but I never tried those. Not the stock ones anyways :)

...if you want to go up above where you're at with a Kanger then you're looking at the Subtank series. I broke down and finally got one and it came in the mail finally and I must say I am amazed at how well their stock OCC .5 ohm coil does....I've got it set at 30 watts on my rDNA 40 and it's the best vape I've ever gotten from a stock clearomizer head. My Kayfun might finally get a much needed day off tomorrow :)

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first generation single coils that fit the early Protanks and Evods are of a different size than the second/third generation dual coils. I believe I had also heard that the dual coils will work in the Original Subtank ( at their recommended settings )... but the single coil types wouldn't. I haven't tried the dual coils in my Subtanks... so I am only repeating what I heard about them.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The original style kanger heads (single or dual) are super easy to rebuild and when rebuilt they perform way better than stock. Those heads are what I started rebuilding with. It's easy to do and the design makes them consistent and they wick really well even with high vg juice. You can get old style dual coils at fasttech. Not sure who else might have them. Just a thought.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The original style kanger heads (single or dual) are super easy to rebuild and when rebuilt they perform way better than stock. Those heads are what I started rebuilding with. It's easy to do and the design makes them consistent and they wick really well even with high vg juice. You can get old style dual coils at fasttech. Not sure who else might have them. Just a thought.

I've rebuilt many of the single and dual coils .... the newer OCC heads are even easier than those... :)

Discount Vapors had the first generation dual coils still last time I checked and I know for a fact they are genuine Kanger as well.

VU Sponsors