Become a Patron!

Is this 'Throat hit' or a crappy juice?

Sorry if this may be a rather noob question for you guys, but what is a throat hit?

I'm asking as the juices i've always been using are Pachymama 25mg nic salts (for reference I use a 1.2 ohm Wenax K1) and they've always gone down smoothly when I inhale, no sensations at all.

But i've expanded on my selection and bought some Dinner Lady's (Lemon tart and Bubblegum Ice 30mg nic salts), and both of them give me this itchy throat (and sometimes tongue) sensation. This irritating feeling can stay for a minute or two. Is this what a throat hit is? All three juices are 50:50pgvg. Or is it something else?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Personally I experience what I consider to be good "throat hit" as a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat, near my tonsils. When the juice is the right strength and all the components in the juice are good, it is not an unpleasant sensation. It's more an awareness that I can feel something in my throat when I take a hit off my mod.

Nic salts are designed to minimize throat hit. Chances are, if you vaped 25mg freebase nicotine juice, when you inhaled it your throat would feel a pretty nasty little zing/burn/zap whatever. I really don't have the right words for it, but I would not call it an "itchy" sensation at all.

I think there are several different acid compounds that can be used to turn freebase nicotine into nic salts. The experience you are having with one brand being ok and another brand giving you an itchy sensation might be the result of some sensitivity to the acid used in the Dinner Lady juices. That's just my guess. I've only vaped a small amount of nic salts juice, but it makes me sneeze every time I take a hit, and because of that, I've not bought it again.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
There are 'hit' salts vs 'smooth' salts, that could cause that kinda sensation (the point is to mimmick fb), but i wasnt aware dinner lady used em, maybe tho.

Edit-there r just some days where i dont get along with vaping at all, i just puff on it and hold it in my mouth, it will absorb thru your cheek and gum

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I haven't tried salts so can't comment on that. It is true several different acids can be used to make salts and I saw a chart that compared them... "throat hit" was mentioned (some caused less, some more)
Myself, I get a mild irritation from anything over 35 % PG but if your previous juices were also 50/50 then that may not be an issue. Sometimes lemon or cinnamon will bother me too.

VU Sponsors