Become a Patron!

Is this ok to ask?

Layla_chi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I volunteer at an outpatient chemical dependency treatment center (county/court ordered type, not a "spa" type facility) and 99.9% of people going through the programs smoke cigarettes. I'm a noobie vaper (2 months cig free!) and I'm talking with everyone that will listen about the benefits of switching to vaping and a lot of people are interested. The biggest issue with getting people to switch over is the initial cost of getting a decent beginner set up because most are on very limited incomes. I've explained how they'd be saving money, but keep in mind it's a group of people with addiction problems and cigarettes are the only "addiction" they're still allowed to have.
My plan is that whenever I get a new mod I'll pass my old one on to someone I know is going to benefit from it, and repeat with someone new every time I upgrade. I currently only have an evod mega (which has treated me well) and plan on upgrading to a subox nano or mini in January. (I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids, so budget is super tight this time of year). WELL, the beginning of this week a pregnant 18 year old girl started in one of the programs and I'd really like to get her vaping asap, but I can't afford to upgrade right now.

So my question is:

Am I allowed to ask if anyone has a subox (or similar) they'd like to pass on to me so I can pass my Evod on to her? Or if anyone has a decent beginner set up they'd like to send to me to give to her?

I'm pretty new to this forum and don't know the etiquette for how paying it forward here works.
I'm going to be looking into possibly getting donations from companies or raising funds to buy vape setups for them in the future if I have success converting people on my own :) I'm working on information pamphlets for smokers right now :)

Any feedback from you long timers would be greatly appreciated!

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If she is pregnant I recommend she try to get off nicotine altogether as it can still harm the fetus

Layla_chi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If she is pregnant I recommend she try to get off nicotine altogether as it can still harm the fetus
I agree, and that's the ultimate goal. Tapering down the nicotine level to zero over time. It'd actually be stressful on the baby this far along for her to quit cold turkey or quickly because the baby is addicted to nicotine as well at this point. At least with vapor there isn't all the other nasty chemicals that there are in cigarettes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would suggest looking a group PIF donation for the folks at the center, it will need to be verified, but I'm quite sure a number of members will donate gear for the cause. Let the other members chime in on this idea.

Layla_chi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would suggest looking a group PIF donation for the folks at the center, it will need to be verified, but I'm quite sure a number of members will donate gear for the cause. Let the other members chime in on this idea.
Ok :) they're looking into if the center is "allowed" to give them out from a legal perspective and all that other technical stuff. But for this one example it should be fine me acting as an individual, if that makes sense :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd love to give you a sunbox actually I have 3 right now....but I am a wheelchair bound 75 year old woman who had the wheels stolen of my wheelchair about a year ago which makes it tough getting around to my job panhandeling at the freeway off ramp if by chance you have a couple of spare wheels at your rehab center I'd gladly trade you for a sunbox....I think if I sell some of my blood I can pay postage.....Yours in Christ......Mabel Crackerneck.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2846481qwp7i7rthl1-3_zps4f2e6e00.gif

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your heart is in the right place but honestly I think you should give these people their space. considering how difficult it is to kick dope, I can't imagine many people being ready to jump on the vaping band wagon while going through one of the most uncomfortable and difficult periods of their lives. I'm really surprised the counselors at the clinic haven't told you to back off.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually these kits would introduce the smokers to ecigs. I started on ego type vape pens over 5 years ago. It did work for me. At 6.23 you could ask them to cough up some change. :) Good luck!
http://www.ecig.com/650mah-double-ego-starter-kit.html
Not the greatest gear in 2015 terms, but my wife and I both kicked 15-year habits using a similar-quality setup not all that long ago. The bang-for-buck potential is huge, and if you get someone who doesn't take it seriously it's not like you'll lose sleep over six bucks. If they do pick up vaping they'll quickly realize enough savings to go back for better gear, if not no skin off your back.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone who didn't start vaping at the subtank era, should have a lot old gear just laying around.
I wouldn't mind passing along some of that old gear to someone who needs it in my country for just the delivery cost and I bet a lot of other people feel the same way.

George Harrier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I think you are doing a very nice, caring thing. Some points that were made by the others have some validity to them. (obviously others have nothing worthwhile to say) . careful with your job, not to over-step your bounds. yes, . some people are just after freebies .. but yes, there are many people that have plenty of unused vape gear that is just sitting there. I donate a lot to people i know to help them quit. and am personally willing to help you out. as should anyone that is able. . PM me if you'd like.

Layla_chi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your heart is in the right place but honestly I think you should give these people their space. considering how difficult it is to kick dope, I can't imagine many people being ready to jump on the vaping band wagon while going through one of the most uncomfortable and difficult periods of their lives. I'm really surprised the counselors at the clinic haven't told you to back off.
It's not in a preachy way at all, it's in casual conversation during smoke breaks. And you can tell who's interested in talking and who's not.

Layla_chi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not the greatest gear in 2015 terms, but my wife and I both kicked 15-year habits using a similar-quality setup not all that long ago. The bang-for-buck potential is huge, and if you get someone who doesn't take it seriously it's not like you'll lose sleep over six bucks. If they do pick up vaping they'll quickly realize enough savings to go back for better gear, if not no skin off your back.
Ya I went with the Evod mega because I read that if your first mod is too cheap it can really put you off to it altogether, but didn't want to spend too much either.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya I went with the Evod mega because I read that if your first mod is too cheap it can really put you off to it altogether, but didn't want to spend too much either.

I've found that if people want to quit, they will. If they don't, they won't - better gear helps but the mindset is everything. Good luck!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with that statement 1000%.
And if you will excuse me it seems I've got an early dinner of crow...Cheers!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone who didn't start vaping at the subtank era, should have a lot old gear just laying around.
I wouldn't mind passing along some of that old gear to someone who needs it in my country for just the delivery cost and I bet a lot of other people feel the same way.
Or they've already given it away.Which is my case.I just recently piffed away my MVP20 a Nautilus 2 packs of coils and 4 big bottles of e-liquid.That was the very last of my gear I could feasibly giveaway without shooting myself in the foot.

VU Sponsors