Become a Patron!

Is this normal?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, is it normal for a coil's resistance to change? Like, I have a .25 ohm coil, always read at 0.26 on my mod. No issue there. But I notice sometimes it'll read at .28, .3 etc. It rises and falls. Is this normal? I use a crown 3, so all coil's for it are SS.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It is perfectly normal to see small fluctuations - especially with SS coils - as a coil heats and cools, and especially if it does not get a chance to fully cool

Small fluctuations are not a worry - large ones are a different story and usually signal a short, usually due to the coil not making even contact

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is perfectly normal to see small fluctuations - especially with SS coils - as a coil heats and cools, and especially if it does not get a chance to fully cool

Small fluctuations are not a worry - large ones are a different story and usually signal a short, usually due to the coil not making even contact
As the coil heats and expands and contracts it begins to change it's resistance as the metal weakens or better said until it stabilizes.

There are mods that lock the resistance, the mod increases or decreases the power to maintain the same resistance.

The New Smoant Cylon locks the resistance automatically on any material...

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The highest I've seen was .39. it worked for a bit and then I got atomizer short error. Cleaned off the juice from the contacts and it was fine again, showing .26. when should I worry? I don't use mech mods, so I'd hope my regulated mod won't let anything bad happen. It changes and I'm not sure when to worry. What's your thresholds?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The highest I've seen was .39. it worked for a bit and then I got atomizer short error. Cleaned off the juice from the contacts and it was fine again, showing .26. when should I worry? I don't use mech mods, so I'd hope my regulated mod won't let anything bad happen. It changes and I'm not sure when to worry. What's your thresholds?
Sometimes if the screws are loose on an RDA or rdta and the wire moves during the heating and cooling it will also create an unstable Ohms reading..... A .26 to .39 is too high of a variance !

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

In addition to what Manny said, there are some RDAs that are just prone to loosening

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes if the screws are loose on an RDA or rdta and the wire moves during the heating and cooling it will also create an unstable Ohms reading..... A .26 to .39 is too high of a variance !

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm using factory coils. It only went that high one time, and it was fixed after cleaning it up. My coil is now sitting at .27. idk I might just scrap this coil and prime a new one to be safe. It's probably about time I trash it anyways.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm using factory coils. It only went that high one time, and it was fixed after cleaning it up. My coil is now sitting at .27. idk I might just scrap this coil and prime a new one to be safe. It's probably about time I trash it anyways.

If it's working out for you after cleaning, there is likely no safety reason to change it

Those factory coils get expensive

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The resistance of SS coils changes depending how hot they are, that is why they can be used for temperature control. Other materials like kanthal don't change resistance except when the wire starts to deteriorate. TC devices monitor the resistance of the wire to 'guesstimate' what temperature it is.

VU Sponsors