Become a Patron!

Is my new Freakshow RDA a clone???

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all, first post here. Yay. :) Hopefully it has a happy ending.

It's gotten a bit ridiculous when you have to worry about a cheap atty being a clone, but here goes:

A local vape shop just opened a store near me, they have multiple locations in the area, so they are well established here. They had the Freakshow RDA and I remembered reading some positive comments about it. Cost: 35 bucks - yeah, I know but I wanted a new RDA today to use on my recently acquired Hexohm V2, and I don't mind supporting the locals.

Anyway, got it home, built it, and it vapes pretty nice. I wanted to see some youtube vids on building and wicking the Freakshow to see if I had oriented my coils/wicks correctly, and also went to Google images to look at some pictures and lo and behold - mine has some differences. The center post is copper, and the O-rings are red. Most of the pictures I've seen show a stainless steel center post and black O-rings. Also the packaging for mine is very generic: a foam-lined plastic box with no markings.

Understand that I had done zero research and asked the clerk repeatedly if this was an authentic RDA and was told yes, "all of the RDAs on the top shelf are authentic." So I was trusting the retailer who - as stated above - has an established presence here at multiple locations.

So, Freakshow owners - is mine a fake? If so, it's going back - on principle. I don't have a problem with clones, but I certainly have a problem with deceit, and I'm not paying 35 bucks for a $10 Fastech RDA.

scotterics

Member For 4 Years
I have a 2nd Gen authentic freakshow... (with 3 airholes)

Mine has a stainless post and black o-rings...

Came in a nice little "can" painted silver with a clear window on the lid I'm currently storing the Allen key and some bitty little screwdrivers for my other RDAs in 14323405797891942258770.jpg 1432340640663-416578871.jpg 1432340709335-662727088.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The packaging and copper post gave it away, it's a clone. Mine came in a tin like the post above and was shrink wrapped. If you paid $35 for an authentic, take it back and insist on one in a tin that is shrink wrapped.

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, that's what I thought.

Thanks guys. It's going back tomorrow.

Then I'll do what I should have done in the first place - buy one on-line from a reputable seller and patiently wait for it to arrive. Can you recommend an on-line seller? I want to pick up a Freakshow and a Troll.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Clone mine came in a tin with a goodie bag and the only difference is it has blue o-rings but came with a full set of black and then clear to

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

It's gotten a bit ridiculous when you have to worry about a cheap atty being a clone, but here goes:

A local vape shop just opened a store near me, they have multiple locations in the area, so they are well established here. They had the Freakshow RDA and I remembered reading some positive comments about it. Cost: 35 bucks - yeah, I know but I wanted a new RDA today to use on my recently acquired Hexohm V2, and I don't mind supporting the locals.

Anyway, got it home, built it, and it vapes pretty nice. I wanted to see some youtube vids on building and wicking the Freakshow to see if I had oriented my coils/wicks correctly, and also went to Google images to look at some pictures and lo and behold - mine has some differences. The center post is copper, and the O-rings are red. Most of the pictures I've seen show a stainless steel center post and black O-rings. Also the packaging for mine is very generic: a foam-lined plastic box with no markings.

Understand that I had done zero research and asked the clerk repeatedly if this was an authentic RDA and was told yes, "all of the RDAs on the top shelf are authentic." So I was trusting the retailer who - as stated above - has an established presence here at multiple locations.

So, Freakshow owners - is mine a fake? If so, it's going back - on principle. I don't have a problem with clones, but I certainly have a problem with deceit, and I'm not paying 35 bucks for a $10 Fastech RDA.

A genuine freakshow, or anything from wotofo for that matter, will come in a silver can with a qr code and sticker to check authenticity.
1edc0fe406abdac3e90ece01d9bd449e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yep, that's what I thought.

Thanks guys. It's going back tomorrow.

Then I'll do what I should have done in the first place - buy one on-line from a reputable seller and patiently wait for it to arrive. Can you recommend an on-line seller? I want to pick up a Freakshow and a Troll.

theres several out there. vaporshark.com and eciggity.com both sell authentic freakshow. vaporshark is having a 20% off sale of everything including mods for memorial day weekend. sale runs through monday. code is memorial

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
theres several out there. vaporshark.com and eciggity.com both sell authentic freakshow. vaporshark is having a 20% off sale of everything including mods for memorial day weekend. sale runs through monday. code is memorial

Thanks, and thanks for the pictures.

I took it back yesterday and told them I thought it was a fake as I didn't think the Freakshow was ever made with a copper center post (I also mentioned that you all backed that up :). I also said that I didn't like the look of the generic packaging - completely unmarked and no pamphlet. I told him it honestly looked like a $10 Fastech counterfeit.The clerk was surprised and said that they were told by the supplier that these were authentic. I understand that they trust this guy, but it is still their responsibility to know what they are selling.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clone mine came in a tin with a goodie bag and the only difference is it has blue o-rings but came with a full set of black and then clear to

I'm sure there are fakes that come in the tin, but the feature that bothered me was the copper center post. If it had been all stainless, in a tin, with a fake pamphlet, I probably never would have questioned it. I have to be honest - I've never actually checked a scratch-off before, on any of my stuff. And that includes a lot of sub-ohm tanks, and regulated box mods of Chinese origin (eLeaf, Kanger, Joyetech, Sigelei, Horizon, Aspire, Yihi). I just try to buy from trusted vendors. Apparently I need to be very careful with this seller.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back when the Nemesis mod was all the rage, a local B&M was selling 1:1 clones as authentic. When people found out, they demanded their money back, his excuse was the distributor he bought from in Cali assured him that they were genuine. That prick nearly lost his shop, he had to take back every single one and refund the customers. I'm pretty sure he knew he was selling clones, he still sold cigars and cigs. Just a tobacco shop trying to cash in and rip people off. Now he sells ego start kits and clone gear. Not one item in his shop is authentic except for the Subtanks and Aspire CF subohm batteries.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Regardless of whether the shop owner knew it or not, s/he is culpable. It's the shop owner's responsibility to know their product lines well enough to spot fakes, to provide truthful info to customers, etc.

Nearly all of my hardware is clones, and I have no problem with clones being sold as long as it's disclosed. I'd be pissed as fuck if I was sold what I was told was an authentic and it turned out to be a clone.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I can vouch for vapordna.com as well. Never had any sort of issue with them at all. I don't think i've ever waited more than 3-4 days for an order from them. Great site

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regardless of whether the shop owner knew it or not, s/he is culpable. It's the shop owner's responsibility to know their product lines well enough to spot fakes, to provide truthful info to customers, etc.

Nearly all of my hardware is clones, and I have no problem with clones being sold as long as it's disclosed. I'd be pissed as fuck if I was sold what I was told was an authentic and it turned out to be a clone.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just be honest. If you screw me just once, you are done - I'll never trust you again. I am very sure that they sell authentic stuff but I will be very careful in the future.

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's exactly what I talking about. Just be honest. If you screw me just once, you are done - I'll never trust you again. I am very sure that they sell authentic stuff but I will be very careful in the future.
If the person is telling the truth (about supplier screwin' 'em) then hopefully this whole thing will open their eyes, they'll drop that supplier, and learn their product line. If the shop did it on purpose, then nothing will change until they've pissed off the whole community (at which point they'll either change their ways or go broke).

In the jewelry industry I've seen both - shops owners that are simply ignorant and believe their lying suppliers, and shop owners that intentionally lie. Seen the same with wholesalers in jewelry industry too (ones that lie and ones that are simply ignorant)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
But did they make it right by you?

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, got refunded in full. And I will still shop there - they have a HUGE selection of juice and seem to be good people - but I will shop carefully and do sufficient research first if buying hardware.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[QUOTE="gpjoe, post: 471657, member: 22357"

buy one on-line from a reputable seller[/QUOTE]

I still don't know how you are to know when you are dealing with a "reputable" dealer for anything that has to do with vaping.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
[QUOTE="gpjoe, post: 471657, member: 22357"

buy one on-line from a reputable seller

I still don't know how you are to know when you are dealing with a "reputable" dealer for anything that has to do with vaping.[/QUOTE]

By speaking with fellow vapers and asking about their experiences. Keep your eyes on the forums and you see the companies that we all shop at.

Local b&m are a little harder. There are so many mom and pop places that see a quick buck, buy from China and sell it as authentic. You need to just do your research on them, speak with other customers and know the products your buying. Taking the OP as an example, wotofo always comes in a round tin with a qr code that can be scanned and checked on their website. That enables you to check it before buying.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I still don't know how you are to know when you are dealing with a "reputable" dealer for anything that has to do with vaping.

By speaking with fellow vapers and asking about their experiences. Keep your eyes on the forums and you see the companies that we all shop at.

Local b&m are a little harder. There are so many mom and pop places that see a quick buck, buy from China and sell it as authentic. You need to just do your research on them, speak with other customers and know the products your buying. Taking the OP as an example, wotofo always comes in a round tin with a qr code that can be scanned and checked on their website. That enables you to check it before buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
There is a a shop called "mom and pop vape shop" in my town....makes me wonder lol

statseeker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be careful with these, I got a freakshow and one of the negative posts snapped on me when I was snugging it up. I didn't torque on it. Just snug to keep the coil in place. Shop refused to take it back. Said I built on it so it's used and they won't take it. Pissed me off. Won't buy hardware there again.

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have the Freakshow and the Freakshow mini. Not the flavor producer it was promised. My Freakshow taste metallic every toke. I've soaked it in dish soap and vinegar and nothing. The mini's flavor is seriously muted. My builds are spot on! Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have a Wotofo Troll. It came in the round can.
Interesting fact: Wotofo makes a clone of the Footoon Aqua V2. So, if Wotofo makes clones, can anything Wotofo makes be considered "authentic"?

McPuff

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
a-mod wotofo does make clones but they have stopped doing1:1 clones they do not put any authentic logos on them. they make very nice stuff i've had a few of their clone mods. most better made than the authentics. they have also made their own authentic mods. i have the authentic derringer v2 and a clone derringer from wotofo. guess what the machining is much nicer on the clone. the authentics top cap would comes off if you tilted the mod. also the center pin spun when you would tighten the wire down. praxis fixed the problem but i never had any problems with the clone.

VU Sponsors