Become a Patron!

Innokin Proton First Thoughts Review

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
In looking for a good, reliable mod I did a lot of searches for "Best Mod 2018" or "Best Mod September 2018" and various similar combinations. After sifting through many sites who clearly are sponsored by SMOK or another brand I landed on two that stood out in every legitimate review: The Tesla Punk and the Innokin Proton. As I already have the Punk (didn't like it at first but it grew on me) I bought the Proton. It did help that it was on sale.

I paired the Proton with my new favorite tank - the Freemax Mesh Pro with a triple mesh coil which is rated at 80-110W. After saturating the coil through priming I let it sit for about 20 minutes. These coils do take a while to become viable; too often I've burned the mesh and wasted a coil.

The mod itself is smaller than I expected, though I could have figured that out had I spend a minute to look at the specs. My other go-to mod is a Smoant Cylon and I thought that was small. The Proton is thinner, narrower, and shorter than the Cylon. In other words, noticeably smaller in every dimension. Yet it is still wider than a lot of the cassette tape style mods that will not fit the FreeMax on top without overhanging. Even with my Tesla it overhangs a bit. While I am not overly concerned about the size of the Proton I do have a minor worry about durability. Over time we'll see how it holds up. While the Tesla is a beast this seems more like a lamb, and with a touch screen it's possible that a naughty feline will knock it over and break it somehow. No reviews mentioned problems with durability, so that's a good sign.

As for use, it takes a bit to get used to the touch screen. I fiddled with it for a minute or so to figure out how to change the wattage. Of course once learned it's pretty simple, and I do like the joystick type controller on it. Unlike the Cylon it does not appear as though it will be easy to accidentally change the wattage. This was my biggest beef with the Cylon as I would set it at 90W and when I looked later it was at 178W.

As for vaping, I am using a 65:35 VG:pG ratio. The Proton provides what feels like a reliable amount of wattage based on my settings. That is, the vaping experience is the same at 90W as it is on my other mods. From here on out everything depends on the tank and coils, which provide good clouds and flavor. The throat hit is just right.

So first impressions are that I enjoy this mod a bit more than the Cylon and about the same as the Tesla. For reference, I use the Tesla for tobacco type flavors, the Cylon for custard bases, and now the Proton for pastry flavors. This way when I switch flavors I'm not mixing it with the remains of something totally different.

I'll update this as time goes on and I become more familiar with the Proton.

Addendum about the FreeMax: I use the 5ml tank rather than the provided 6ml. While I did use the 6 for a while it is difficult to determine exactly how much juice is left in the tank due it being more like a globe than a cylinder. It also extends well beyond the width of all my tanks and falling over it could potentially crack.

Last edited:

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
After one day - great battery usage. I used this mod almost exclusively from around noon yesterday until now, 11:00, and it's still looks like it has about 1/3 battery life left. Hits are as strong as they were when I first put the batteries in.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For anyone keeping an eye on this, I've had several problems with the Proton and they're both battery related.

Sometimes it does not appear to be making a connection to the battery. Numerous times I've had to turn it on when I had never turned it off. My thought is that the battery latch, which completes the circuit, just barely makes the connection.

I've also learned that some batteries are just a fraction shorter than others. This I found by shaking the mod and hearing the batteries rattle inside. I put in other batteries and it was fine. Put the first set back in, ensuring that the latch was on tight, and again it rattled.

Not the end of the world with the batteries because I can just make sure I don't use these shorter ones in this mod. It is still a very good mod; these are more nit-picky things than anything else.

XX_Fallen_XX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had the proton for a while. A few cons I have noticed. For me the TC was off. The SS profile was out of wack but the TCR wasn't bad. I hated the ohm reader on it. Constantly changed so my vape was always going from spot on to weak within minutes. No way to lock the ohms. The screen is so fucking easy to scratch. I had it in my pocket with nothing else and it still got scratched. To me it had alot going for it but fell flat on its face.

Posted from a OP5T

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What are the batteries that are the shorter ones?

I have about 12 sets of batteries and at this point I can't remember. I believe most of my batteries are Samsung but I couldn't tell you what style. I've never worried about battery brands until this came up.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I bought the mod from MyVapeStore. When I emailed the manufacturer they suggested I contact the vendor, so I did. Their email is info@ something or other. Two days later I received an message that the email was undelivered. I tried messaging them on Facebook, but immediately received an auto-reply to contact them at the info@ email address. They did not manually respond. I tried to post to their Facebook page, but again - no reply.

Going back to the manufacturer now. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
To anyone following this thread, the mod has been unusable since my last post. The batteries will not make a connection unless I forcefully squeeze the mod from the bottom. Of course once I release it turns off again. The bottom door is loose. I have several mods that use the same battery door mechanism and they are all fine. This one has never seen any trauma.

Useless mod. Poor design.

VU Sponsors