Become a Patron!

Innokin EQs Pod Starter Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the EQs Pod Starter Kit from Innokin. The EQs Pod Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Timmy from Innokin.

https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/eqs/

Introduction

Innokin need no introduction as along with Aspire are possibly more responsible than any other manufacturer for getting people to make the switch from smoking to vaping. The EQ is some peoples favourite pod device to date and is comfortably in the top 3 for many others. Here we have the updated EQ, the EQs which has a similar look and the pods are interchangeable between the two devices. The "s" stands for small i believe (but i might be wrong) as it's smaller than the EQ while still having a 800mAh battery. The main differences are the new pods have the Plex3D Mesh coils rather than the Plexus coils and the EQs has 3 constant wattage settings rather than the 2 seen on the EQ. For the most part it operates and performs like the original but i can understand that because if it ain't broke why try and fix it!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Innokin EQs Device
1 x USB Charging Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The EQs comes in cardboard packaging and despite being larger than most pod devices of it's kind is smaller than the original EQ and light making it a stealthy pocket friendly device. The device is also slightly more contoured than the original and is smaller at the bottom than top. It comes with a cover on the mouthpiece which can be pushed to remove, this reveals a Black tinted large mouthpiece which is curved inwards to make it comfortable in the mouth. I received the Purple version, the EQs is also available in Black, Grey, White, Sky Blue and Coral Pink, some of the colours look very vibrant. The device has a textured feeling finish that feels very pleasant in the hand, this finish seems durable and in general the device is well made. The front of the device has a concave central round protruding fire button which is nice and clicky and has an LED ring on it. Further down we have "EQ" printed within a square and "s" next to it, just above this is another LED which is used to show which wattage setting you are using. The back of the device towards the bottom has printed safety stamps, on one side of the device towards the top we have the micro USB port. The base section is coloured Gold and the top of the device has a Gold rim to match. The device is made very well as we would expect from Innokin and is very comfortable to hold and operate.

EQs Specs and Features:

Height: 85mm
Capacity: 2ml
Battery: Built-in 800mAh
Standby current: 50uA max
Maximum current: 9.5A
Charging current: 5V/0.5A (EST. time: 2h)
Coil: Plex3D mesh Coil (0.48ohm)
Plex3D new meshed coil for MTL vape
3 Wattage Levels (Green 11.5W, Blue 13.5W, Purple 15.5W)
Ultra-compact design
Optimal flavor and lifespan
Colours: Black, Grey, Purple, White, Sky Blue, Coral Pink

The Pod

The Pod has 2 sections to it, the upper section which includes the mouthpiece and holds the e-liquid and then a lower section which makes contact with the device. This lower section can be turned 90 degrees which reveals 2 filling ports one either side at the bottom of the upper section, these ports have a raised rubber seal surround so no leaking issues and which ever port is used to add your liquid the other allows the air to escape. Once filled (the pod holds 2ml of liquid) just turn the bottom section back into position and let the pod stand for a while before using. The pod comes with a cover on it which to remove you push rather than pull, pulling will also remove the pod from the device, the pod is held in place with magnets which you can see through the plastic bottom of the pod so they don't actually come into contact with the metal interior of the device but just have a constant pull that keeps the pod in place. The issue i did find is the dark tinted colour made it very difficult to see the juice level, one of the main features of the EQs is the fact it uses longer lasting plex3D coils but if you run the liquid dry because you can't see you need to top up you can ruin the coils at anytime. After saying this although it's not the best visibility you can see your juice just not easily and i find when i get a really good device i have to be picky to find cons. The pods are interchangeable with the Plexus coil pods that came with the original EQ and you can tell the difference between the two different pods because the base on the Plex3D pods is Green. The real con for this device is the fact you only receive one pod, this trend has got to stop it's just not fair on vapers, i understand the bottom line is manufacturers main goal is to make money but don't bite the hand that feeds Innokin!

Plex3D Coil

Innovation is alive and kicking in vaping what ever many might have you believe with most innovation of late being around coil technology. The Plex3D coil is a coil which is in my opinion between a mesh and notch coil. Grooves are added to the surface and serrated edging to give as much surface area as possible for good flavour. The coils also both heat up and cool extremely quickly increasing longevity and also allowing the coils to be used at much lower wattage. So Plex3D coils to sum up are designed for flavour, longevity and efficiency.

Navigating the EQ

The EQs has a physical fire button rather than being draw activated which is my preference. The device can be turned on and off by 3 clicks of the fire button, when turning on the LED ring on the fire button cycles through the colours Red, Yellow, Green and when turning off it flashes the current battery status colour twice. The EQs has battery status indication which is shown by what colour the LED ring on the fire button lights when pressing the fire button, when it lights Green the battery is quite full, when it lights Yellow it's about half full and when the battery is getting low the LED ring lights Red. Unlike the EQ which has 2 constant wattage outputs the EQs has three which to change the device needs to be turned off. With the device off holding down the fire button lights up the LED at the bottom of the front of the device, this LED cycles through the colours Green, Blue and Purple. When it is on the colour that corresponds to the setting you want just release the fire button, Green is 11.5W, Blue is 13.5W and Purple is 15.5W. The EQs does have all the safety features you would expect including Low voltage protection, No atomizer protection, Temperature protection, Short circuit protection and Over vape protection. If i was to criticise the EQs it's i feel battery status indication could be done much better giving more of an idea exactly how much battery life is left.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

My Experience Using the EQ

The EQ was the best pod system i have used for a number of reasons, but the main being the flavour which far out did any other pod device i had used but since it's release a few have been up their for flavour including the Zero and most recently the Finic Fish. The EQs is an improvement taking Innokin back to number 1 as the PLEX3D pods have an edge with flavour and in my opinion give a really pleasant warm vape. The Plex pods that came with the original EQ gave great longevity and these coils although i have not tested as long as i did the EQ will be at least as good as i have used the same coil technology with the DV. I would prefer a slightly looser draw but i believe if a pod system has fixed airflow (as they tend to do) it should be quite tight as it is mainly aimed at a new vaper so again a big pro for the airflow. I also really like having 3 modes so someone like me can enjoy using it with a lower mg e-liquid and warmer vape, finally the 800mAh battery life is excellent and it supports vape while charging, although it does take about 2 hours to charge.

Pros

Well made
Nice feeling textured finish
Stealthy pocket friendly device
More ergonomic and smaller than original EQ
6 colour options
Best flavour with pod device (in my opinion)
Longevity with flavour
0.48ohm plex3D coil
3 constant wattage settings
Device can be turned off
Great filling system
No leaking in my experience
Physical fire button
Large battery (for pod device)
Vape while charge

Cons

Hard to see juice level
battery status indication could be done much better
Only one pod included
Takes about 2 hour to charge

I would once again like to thank Timmy from Innokin for supplying the EQs Pod Starter Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/eqs/

VU Sponsors