Become a Patron!

Inability to learn the lesson from our aldehydes study - NEJM paper should be retracted

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
No one here seems to read studies... they just keep vaping at high temps and some use silicone wicks ... :facepalm:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I do read studies... just not the pseudoscience ones like the NEJM research letter.
That one and several others are bad science for sure. There are good ones though, unfortunately sometimes the authors exaggerate or even misrepresent their actual data resultsin their press releases and the press always does so I look at the data and test conditions in the full study if I can get access. Some decent science out there too. I've read enough to know if you vape at high temps with silica wicks you're not reading enough ;)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That one and several others are bad science for sure. There are good ones though, unfortunately sometimes the authors exaggerate or even misrepresent their actual data resultsin their press releases and the press always does so I look at the data and test conditions in the full study if I can get access. Some decent science out there too. I've read enough to know if you vape at high temps with silica wicks you're not reading enough ;)
I never vape on silica wicks, just Cotton Bacon v2 and Native Wicks Platinum Blend. Also, even though I usually vape at fairly high wattages, even though I often prefer a smooth vape that's also a tad on the warm side of neutral, I don't vape at high temps because there exist other ways to get a smooth warm vape than burning your juice─for example, add more metal to your coil builds, make use of Kanthal A1 wires (optionally in conjunction with other metal types like SS 316L and or Nichrome80), avoid taking long draws, and allow a good reasonable amount of powerful enough airflow to go directly onto the coils by 1/ properly adjusting the air holes on the atomizer as well as properly positioning the coils when you mount them, and 2/ adjusting the strength of your draw to be in perfect balance with both the speed of vapor production and the amount of restriction that's due to adjusting the air holes. That plus learn how to drip an RDA on time so you don't get any dry hits. If you can't learn how to feel it's starting to go almost dry, then simply get yourself a better drip tip. Try to avoid using temp control whenever you can. Learning how to avoid getting dry hits without it is crucial if you want to get into advanced coil builds. VW mode and or mech mods are the serious coil builder's best choice. Everything else is just a lie.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I never vape on silica wicks, just Cotton Bacon v2 and Native Wicks Platinum Blend. Also, even though I usually vape at fairly high wattages, even though I often prefer a smooth vape that's also a tad on the warm side of neutral, I don't vape at high temps because there exist other ways to get a smooth warm vape than burning your juice─for example, add more metal to your coil builds, make use of Kanthal A1 wires (optionally in conjunction with other metal types like SS 316L and or Nichrome80), avoid taking long draws, and allow a good reasonable amount of powerful enough airflow to go directly onto the coils by 1/ properly adjusting the air holes on the atomizer as well as properly positioning the coils when you mount them, and 2/ adjusting the strength of your draw to be in perfect balance with both the speed of vapor production and the amount of restriction that's due to adjusting the air holes. That plus learn how to drip an RDA on time so you don't get any dry hits. If you can't learn how to feel it's starting to go almost dry, then simply get yourself a better drip tip. Try to avoid using temp control whenever you can. Learning how to avoid getting dry hits without it is crucial if you want to get into advanced coil builds. VW mode and or mech mods are the serious coil builder's best choice. Everything else is just a lie.
Some wisdom there, and some things I disagree with. Temp control can be of help, but only if you understand the nuances of setting it up properly to get a decently accurate temperature, otherwise may as well use Power control.
Actually I use the watt setting I usually vape at along with TC setting, works quite well once I have my cold resistance dialed in. FYI, I have measured actual coil center temperature with a small gauge thermocouple wire.
As far as wire goes, more isn't necessarily better, your power setting is a factor as well - safe vaping (ie, not overheating the ejuice or coil) is a factor of the heat flux - which takes power, wire size, and coil resistance . Wicking and air flow as you mentioned is also a factor. currently I"m enjoying using 316 L SS at, 28AWG, 6 wrap spaced, 0.6 ohms, 11 W, 380 deg F, nic salts diy, 80pg/20vg.

Cotton Bacon V2, can't go wrong with that, love it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some wisdom there, and some things I disagree with. Temp control can be of help, but only if you understand the nuances of setting it up properly to get a decently accurate temperature, otherwise may as well use Power control.
Actually I use the watt setting I usually vape at along with TC setting, works quite well once I have my cold resistance dialed in. FYI, I have measured actual coil center temperature with a small gauge thermocouple wire.
As far as wire goes, more isn't necessarily better, your power setting is a factor as well - safe vaping (ie, not overheating the ejuice or coil) is a factor of the heat flux - which takes power, wire size, and coil resistance . Wicking and air flow as you mentioned is also a factor. currently I"m enjoying using 316 L SS at, 28AWG, 6 wrap spaced, 0.6 ohms, 11 W, 380 deg F, nic salts diy, 80pg/20vg.

Cotton Bacon V2, can't go wrong with that, love it.
Due to how temp control is designed to work, it can't function properly on the vast majority of advanced coil builds (with only some minor exceptions) so at best you won't be gaining nor losing any vape performance... just the huge extra amount of time and effort spent will go to waste. Some people are simply incapable of learning how to avoid dry hits without temp control, or they keep refusing to learn, but I've been doing it without temp control ever since I started vaping six months ago (and, BTW, I am now six months smoke free) so I truly have zero use for temp control. Like putting training wheels on a motorcycle, really. Or carrying buckets of water to the ocean. :giggle: It doesn't even actually control any temperatures anyway in the first place.

More wire isn't necessarily better, I agree. It's just one particular choice among several many possible choices you could consider in order to get the vape experience to meet your own personal preferences if a warmer vape is what you are looking for... burning juice instead definitely is not an option for me because it tastes literally gruesome and it makes me want to cough my lungs out. So much so, I'd much rather go back to smoking cigarettes─which I NEVER will.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You make the point that temperature control is not required for vaping, and I agree. I don't even think its required to minimize your risks in vaping, it's just a tool some like to use. For me, I like the way I can set up my mod with TC to provide an even vapor over the full last half of my draw, keeping my temps in the limits I want, etc. There are other ways to do that (power control, etc) and in reality its not a huge difference for a MTL guy like myself taking 2-3 second draws. But I do like it. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You make the point that temperature control is not required for vaping, and I agree. I don't even think its required to minimize your risks in vaping, it's just a tool some like to use. For me, I like the way I can set up my mod with TC to provide an even vapor over the full last half of my draw, keeping my temps in the limits I want, etc. There are other ways to do that (power control, etc) and in reality its not a huge difference for a MTL guy like myself taking 2-3 second draws. But I do like it. :)
MTL is not for me, either. I vape on nothing but RDAs, using mostly mech mods... I like dense saturated vapor production and I chain vape often, blowing fairly big clouds whilst barely sacrificing any flavor.

VU Sponsors