Become a Patron!

IJOY Shogun Univ 180W TC MOD

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Shogun Univ 180W TC MOD from IJOY. The IJOY Shogun Univ 180W TC MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

IJOY SHOGUN UNIV

Introduction

The Shogun Univ is a dual 18650 device giving a maximum power of 180W and quite a looker. As well as the usual power and temperature control features the Shogun also has Pod mode which is a limited variable voltage mode used in conjunction with the IJoy pod adaptor. It still seems to me like a recent release so was quite shocked when i realised it actually came out in 2018 (doesn't time fly). The Shogun quite obviously is in direct competition with the Voopoo Drag 2, so how does it stack up?

In The Box

Contents:

1 x IJOY Shogun Univ MOD(no cell)
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Shogun comes in standard cardboard Box packaging with sleeve and on opening, the handsome looking device is in the top layer, the bottom tier consists of paperwork and a high quality USB cable. With very nice thick Resin panels on both sides with some aesthetically pleasing colouring the Shogun is quite a looker. The device is available with either a Silver of Black Chassis and the colour design options are Splendor, Hellfire, Green Specter, Ghostfire, Blue Aurora and Galactic Hurricane, i received Green Specter with a Black Chassis. The main material the device is made from is Zinc Alloy and with the thickness of the Resin panels is far from a light device. The form factor i really like, curved just enough all over to make it ergonomic and a pleasing to the eye shape. The face of the device has a large, round protruding Stainless Steel fire button which is very clicky and has a short travel, towards the bottom we have smaller round Stainless Steel buttons with the same protrusion. Central on the face we have the screen and then right at the bottom the micro USB port. The base see's embossed branding and safety marks in Silver, venting holes and a notch for removing the side battery panel. Up top we have a centre mounted 510 plate which is raised a fraction protecting the finish on the device while giving no noticeable gap, the 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded. The Shogun is a very solid feeling device with no rattles whatsoever.

Shogun Univ Specs and Features:

Dimension: 55 x 28.4 x 88mm
Screen size: 0.96 inch
Cell type: dual 18650 cells(not included)
Power range: 5-180W
Output voltage: 0-7.5V
Output current: 0-45A
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Temperature range: 300-600℉/149-316℃
Material: zinc alloy + resin
Charging port: micro USB
Compact size with stylish streamlined design
Dual 18650 batteries with 180W max output
Optional POWER, POD, PMODE, and TEMP mode
Built-in UNIV chipset for safe, stable and intelligent performance
Beautiful double-sided resin panels for a high-end appearance
Big fire button for convenient and safe operation
Multiple protections
Thread: 510
Colours available with Silver or Black Frame
Colours: Splendor, Hellfire, Green Specter, Ghostfire, Blue Aurora, Galactic Hurricane

Fitting The Batteries

The Shogun is a dual 18650 device with removable Resin side panel which allows instalment. You need to look at the base of the device to even tell which of the panels is removable as it is fitted into place seamlessly. On the base is a notch which you use to lift off the panel to reveal a very neat battery compartment with installed battery ribbon. Once again their is no contrast with the marked battery orientation which really bugs me being yet again Black on Black. Once the batteries are installed the panel is secured in place with magnets and the sides are precision fitted preventing any side-wards movement whatsoever. When pushing up and down on the panel it does have the slightest of up and down movement, although it needs mentioning in my opinion it is so slight it's not even worthy of a con and certainly their is no movement during use.

The Display

The display on the shogun is bright and sharp with all the information needed well laid out. Top we have the wattage which is also present when in temperature control, below this is the pre-heat. Moving down the display we next have voltage which displays temperature instead when in temp control with wire type displayed above. Next to the left we have resistance and to the right puffs which while taking a vape displays the time of the puff. Finally at the bottom of the display we have two horizontal battery status bars marked "A" and "B".

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Navigating The Shogun

I found the Shogun to be a very easy device to navigate and while having all the features to satisfy experienced vapers is user friendly enough to be used by someone new to vaping. The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn the device on and 5 clicks to turn off. The only combination button press i could find was up and down pressed together re-reads and locks the resistance, so out the box their is no way of locking the device, whether their is now a firmware release to add this feature or will be one in the near future is more than possible but i tested the device as it came. To enter the menu system is 3 clicks of the fire button which brings up a screen with six icons. The options are Power, Temperature (temperature control settings), Pod, Pre-heats, TCR and Set (settings). Choosing Power simply takes you to the main screen in Wattage mode, choosing temperature brings up further icons which are your wire types and 2 different memory slots for saved TCR settings. The Pod option is a limited Variable Voltage mode for use in conjunction with IJoy's pod adaptor which i don't have so couldn't test this feature, we then have the Pre-heats which gives you the choice of Normal, Hard, Soft and User (set your own custom curve). Next is TCR which allows you to enter TCR values for your 2 memory slots and then we have Settings which allows you to reset the puff counter and choose between different screen timeouts. When in temperature control you have full control over the wattage right up to the full 180W and pressing the down once the wattage is set allows for adjustment of temperature. So a very user friendly device in regards of navigation with my only issue being for some reason the up and down button switch roles when in the menu system and up becomes down which is a bit confusing and takes some time to get use to.

My Experience Using The Shogun

Testing the Shogun has been a pleasure and it's a device that i will continue to use. As usual i have to point out i do not vape using temp control and have no access to data so simply review devices as i experience them in power mode, it is nice though to see a device not overstating wattage and would suspect if it doesn't give the full 180W it will be very close. The device fires with no noticeable delay and good ramp up with the option to set the pre-heat to hard or use the curves feature for even more impressive ramp up speed, both pre-heats and curves feature work as they should. For me the firing and ramp up on the Shogun is spot-on, i have a few devices that fire when just tapping the fire button to enter the menu system which is in my opinion of no extra benefit, i feel the better chips hit fast enough a while back and everything else is device ego (devices with ego's, did i just say that?). I used the Shogun with a few different atty's including a couple of RDA's i'm testing and all wattage's i vaped at seemed very accurate to me. The centre 510 will allow for up to 28mm atty's without overhang which is a big pro and the device supports 2A balanced charging and is firmware upgradeable. The wattage alters in 0.1W increments up to 100W and then switches to 1W increments when taping the up and down buttons but when holding either button down alters in 1W increments from 5W to 180W. The scrolling speed is rather sluggish (which i'm putting as a con because i'm struggling for any) and the battery voltage cut-off is 3.4V which is disappointingly high (may have been addressed with firmware update). Despite the high cut-off, the device in all other regards seems to be operating efficiently as i found battery life on par with what i would expect from a dual 18650 device.

Conclusion

If i was told i had to give up either the Drag 2 or Shogun although i would be sad to see the Drag 2 go, i would be keeping the Shogun which i found to be an excellent device.

Very well built device
Aesthetically pleasing
Nice form factor
High quality thick resin panels
Plenty of colour design options
Ergonomic
Fires instantly
Good ramp up speed
Centre 510 (28mm atty's without overhang)
Wattage output not overstated
Pod feature (good to have for those with adaptor)
Temp control (not tested)
Pre-heats and curves (work as they should)
Seemed very accurate
2A charging supported (as ever i don't recommend charging in the device unless it's your only option)
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Cut-off 3.4V (may have been addressed with firmware upgrade)
No way of locking device (may have been addressed with firmware upgrade)
Slightly on heavy side
Up is down and down is up when navigating menu
Scrolling sluggish

Once again i would like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Shogun Univ 180W TC MOD for the purpose of this review.

IJOY SHOGUN UNIV

VU Sponsors