If Seattle Smokers Follow King County's Health Advice, They Will Die

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have to agree with this comment.

Nicotine addiction in cigarettes is caused by the MAOI's, aldehydes and ammonia. Nicotine outside of cigarettes is NOT addictive- such as in the patch, gum, inhaler and e-cigarettes. Nicotine has NEVER been shown to cause dependence outside of smoking. It is also a nutrient that is contained in many vegetables, a normal part of the diet, and everyone tests positive for it. Great article otherwise!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Have to agree with this comment.

Nicotine addiction in cigarettes is caused by the MAOI's, aldehydes and ammonia. Nicotine outside of cigarettes is NOT addictive- such as in the patch, gum, inhaler and e-cigarettes. Nicotine has NEVER been shown to cause dependence outside of smoking. It is also a nutrient that is contained in many vegetables, a normal part of the diet, and everyone tests positive for it. Great article otherwise!

Yea, I saw that one and the commenter is spot on.
It's kind of easy to prove that nicotine without smoke is non addictive in never-smokers because how many teens have gotten helplessly addicted to nicotine gum?
Kids like gum right?
Still I have never heard of a non smoker getting addicted to any type of NRT product.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nicotine has NEVER been shown to cause dependence outside of smoking. It is also a nutrient that is contained in many vegetables, a normal part of the diet, and everyone tests positive for it. Great article otherwise!
This is kinda like pointing out that there are opiates in bakery product with poppy seeds. Just because something is detectable doesn't mean it's significant. The concentration of nic in vegetables is orders of magnitude less than in tobacco.

Still I have never heard of a non smoker getting addicted to any type of NRT product.
I hate to point this out but there are some anecdotal reports of never-smokers who used nic gum as a stimulant getting "addicted" to it.

That said, King County's approach to the topic of e-cigs is obviously not a good one because it will keep some people smoking who would have switched to e-cigs in without this smear campaign.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is kinda like pointing out that there are opiates in bakery product with poppy seeds. Just because something is detectable doesn't mean it's significant. The concentration of nic in vegetables is orders of magnitude less than in tobacco.

I hate to point this out but there are some anecdotal reports of never-smokers who used nic gum as a stimulant getting "addicted" to it.

That said, King County's approach to the topic of e-cigs is obviously not a good one because it will keep some people smoking who would have switched to e-cigs in without this smear campaign.

I have heard of college kids using nicotine patches to help them study for finals but they just stop using it when the exams are over.

I'd imagine that this method is much better and has a lower chance of addiction then the other option I've heard about which is amphetamines (adderal/ritilan)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is Seattle we are talking about here folks....do you really expect logic from them...if Seattle treated tobacco smokers the same way they treat junkies, Seattle would be handing out free e-cigs to anyone who wanted them...If Seattle treated smokers the same way they treat illegal aliens, the county would be buying cartons of Maraburoughs for smokers..

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have heard of college kids using nicotine patches to help them study for finals but they just stop using it when the exams are over.

I'd imagine that this method is much better and has a lower chance of addiction then the other option I've heard about which is amphetamines (adderal/ritilan)

Yes, and becoming DEPENDENT on a chemical is a WHOLE LOT different from becoming ADDICTED to it.

Andria

VU Sponsors