Become a Patron!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
... it turned out BAD* (just from making, shaking, and tasting right from the bottle,

Next time try...

Shaking, making, shaking,

Not shaking before mixing (or not shaking enough before mixing) is a common newbie mistake. For good results and safety, thoroughly shaking your flavors and nic. to be used before mixing is imperative.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is there a way to save a reply that someone put in a thread? Like if I wanted to save a reply somehow through the website, is there a way to do that?

Not really sure - you can always copy the post number and save it on a word document or something

I believe that VG has water in it?
In any case you cannot add a lot of water or it will not vaporize properly.
The purest VG that makes sense to buy is 99,5% with most of the 0,5% rest being water. Anything more pure
and it gets really expansive. Also, VG is hygroscopic (PG, too), so even if you buy ultra pure, water-free VG; unless you store it closed off all the time, it will draw ambient water anyway.
I did test my own e-liquid for water one time and even though I dont add any DW, it still had like 3-4% water in it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you could check with the FDA or with poison control to be sure?

No need for me to check because I do not plan on using it. I never heard of it being used for vaping and that doesn't mean you can't but I wouldn't unless I did the research.

Reactions: dez

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Where can I find just two or three condiment bottles without having to buy a six-pack like on Amazon?
Got mine at Walmart. I got a set of clear that came with three, and a set that had the yellow & red. Didn't cost much either. I'm always thinking how can this help my DIY while shopping.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there a way to save a reply that someone put in a thread? Like if I wanted to save a reply somehow through the website, is there a way to do that?
Yes, you can copy the text and paste it in a notepad app. Or you could just screen shot what you want saved. I screenshot recipes and stuff all the time.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Tap or bottled water isn't recommended, distilled water or vodka are good for thinning juice at 10% or less.
My nic base:
90% vg
10% p400
3% dw
8.5mg nic salts

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Next time try...

Shaking, making, shaking,

Not shaking before mixing (or not shaking enough before mixing) is a common newbie mistake. For good results and safety, thoroughly shaking your flavors and nic. to be used before mixing is imperative.
Oh I didn't include it in my post, but I did Shake my flavors before mixing.. and it STILL tasted terrible.
The one that I made my second time, which is my OMG, turned out okay -despite my mess up when I poured the VG, because of the fact that I had marked on the same type of bottle (when I poured 120ml flavor into it) that I was going to use.. where 120ml is. So I had poured my first amount correctly, messed up and lost track on my second and abandoned it, I got my third ingredient correct so I knew I could hold my bottles side by side and just pour the rest of it with VG up to the line, and it would be correct- and just from tasting from the bottle, it seems to be correct.
Either using Qwik one shot at 20% is a bad idea, or I just messed it up. I have more so I can give it another try sometime.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not really sure - you can always copy the post number and save it on a word document or something
I wish this was like the makeupalley Forum, where you could favorite a link.. and save under a section that you create when you have an account.

like on there.. I have a place I named for Sunscreen, and all of the sunscreens that sound good that are mentioned in a post.. I can hit a button to mark it as a favorite, and then pick what section I have to save it in, or make a new section name and save it there.

Moderators, this would be helpful. ;) @5150sick

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
What I do is copy & paste into an email I'll send out. (sent to either another of my email accounts or to a totally fictitious one) Either way it's usually save to your "Sent Mail".
It is really hard for me to save just a paragraph.. out of a whole page of information- if not impossible, because I'm on a cell phone, it is a Samsung S5.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tap or bottled water isn't recommended, distilled water or vodka are good for thinning juice at 10% or less.
My nic base:
90% vg
10% p400
3% dw
8.5mg nic salts
That equals 103%, how does that work?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
111.5%

But each is a percentage of the total volume and not how many percent you add.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first two recipes I used the syringe method. Stopped that immediately. Now only use the syringe for the nicotine. The flavorings and the vg are strictly by the scales and I allow the scales to adjust accordingly. This only takes a moment. If you've ever had to use a syringe in measuring, like diabetes, giving meds, etc you will understand the measurements include the tip as well and therefore know the measurements are accurate. I do run water thru them after I'm done to clean out. I find this the best method for myself at this time and the most useful in time management for me. :)

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The first two recipes I used the syringe method. Stopped that immediately. Now only use the syringe for the nicotine. The flavorings and the vg are strictly by the scales and I allow the scales to adjust accordingly. This only takes a moment. If you've ever had to use a syringe in measuring, like diabetes, giving meds, etc you will understand the measurements include the tip as well and therefore know the measurements are accurate. I do run water thru them after I'm done to clean out. I find this the best method for myself at this time and the most useful in time management for me. :)

I haven’t used syringes for meds..so didn't know the tip is included in the measurement. Thanks !

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I haven’t used syringes for meds..so didn't know the tip is included in the measurement. Thanks !

When you dispense from a syringe unless you retract and blow it out what is in the needle will not be expelled. Trying to be that critical in my opinion is overkill or OCD.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
When you dispense from a syringe unless you retract and blow it out what is in the needle will not be expelled. Trying to be that critical in my opinion is overkill or OCD.
This is what I was thinking- whether it's the tip of the syringe, or a needle. That's why I got syringes with a tiny tip. She is saying that the tip is included in the measurement, not the needle though. So I am still unsure.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is what I was thinking- whether it's the tip of the syringe, or a needle. That's why I got syringes with a tiny tip. She is saying that the tip is included in the measurement, not the needle though. So I am still unsure.

The reading is accurate on the lines on the body of the syringe, it takes into account any liquid in the needle itself, etc.

It's not something to worry about

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@AndriaD @JuicyLucy @5150sick @SteveS45 @VaporCat @wildgypsy70

Hey guys! I've been away a few days.. and just wanted to say that right after I got my supplies in, (a set of beakers and a set of syringes with needles and a Sharpie to put lines on my bottles that I mix in)- so that I can measure correctly by weight, since the app gives me the perfect recipe even though it's different than the website, and draw lines and then fill the bottle up to the with the different ingredients.

So..I tried ONE MORE TIME to measure by weight, and this time I left the funnel in the bottle.. until I poured my last ingredient- and my last bottle and this one tastes AWESOME! Thank ALL OF YOU for your help!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD @JuicyLucy @5150sick @SteveS45 @VaporCat @wildgypsy70

Hey guys! I've been away a few days.. and just wanted to say that right after I got my supplies in, (a set of beakers and a set of syringes with needles and a Sharpie to put lines on my bottles that I mix in)- so that I can measure correctly by weight, since the app gives me the perfect recipe even though it's different than the website, and draw lines and then fill the bottle up to the with the different ingredients.

So..I tried ONE MORE TIME to measure by weight, and this time I left the funnel in the bottle.. until I poured my last ingredient- and my last bottle and this one tastes AWESOME! Thank ALL OF YOU for your help!

I've never understood the logic of measuring liquids by weight, and probably never will... but if it works for you... WEIGH ON! :D

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since I started using a graduated cylinder I rarely use my syringes. But like everything else in life to each his own and whatever you do which allows you to make your DIY more power to ya~!

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Since I started using a graduated cylinder I rarely use my syringes. But like everything else in life to each his own and whatever you do which allows you to make your DIY more power to ya~!
I actually just came across a couple of deals for a set of cylinders that are $9 on Amazon Prime and a couple of other deals on cylinder sets that I am about to post. I just need to edit my original post.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've never understood the logic of measuring liquids by weight, and probably never will... but if it works for you... WEIGH ON! :D

Andria
Lol!! I know! It didn't work out for me the first couple of times, but I was distracted and did not have a routine.

What actually helped me- is that the app for ELR, gave me different weight measurements than I got from the website.. and I had only used the app, and it gave me more flavor at 25%, telling me to use 31.09 grams..and for some reason - and I don't know if it's because I did not enter weights for the different since it did not ask for them, or what, but the extra PG and flavor concentrate it gave me made my OMG (ADV) E Juice perfect!

Now I don't know how to convert that into milliliters? It tells me to use 30 ml of PG and concentrate flavor, but it tells me to use 31.09 grams of each.

I did my last bottle by weight- just because I didn't know how to recreate it in volume..?

@AndriaD @JuicyLucy @5150sick @SteveS45 @wildgypsy70
Anybody that can help with that? Before my friend was using the website.. and making it for me at 25% flavor and 50/50 VG /PG, and I entered the same thing into the app- but I got the numbers I just mentioned, & 60ml pg, 75.66 grams vg weight.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Beats the living hell out of me. I also don't buy 8 lbs of milk, or a gallon of bacon. ;)

Andria

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a stab in the dark. Weigh out 1ml. Then go from there. If I'm reading that correctly anyways. Whatever that weight is x30

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All this aggravation and I have heard for years mixing by weight is the greatest. I will stick with my graduated cylinder and all the work it takes to rinse it out, Thank You.....................

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
All this aggravation and I have heard for years mixing by weight is the greatest. I will stick with my graduated cylinder and all the work it takes to rinse it out, Thank You.....................
Actually it worked out, because the app gave me a different white then I think it should have, and it turned out making my juice stronger and much better. But in general, that is the reason that I ordered beakers after I tried mixing for the second time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually it worked out, because the app gave me a different white then I think it should have, and it turned out making my juice stronger and much better. But in general, that is the reason that I ordered beakers after I tried mixing for the second time.

When mixing by volume there is really no room for error since an ML is an ML. No real thinking involved except making sure you use the right recipe for the size bottle.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
When mixing by volume there is really no room for error since an ML is an ML. No real thinking involved except making sure you use the right recipe for the size bottle.

Right..but actually the lucky mistake happened bc the app gave me the wrong recipe for weight/grams. Glad it did..just will measure my flavor % other ingredients in a beaker next time but pour by weight on the scale (keeps me from needing a funnel)- & then pour 1 ingredient at a time into the bottle to get my proper volume.

-Hope I can figure out how to use a website to put in volume and get the actual percentages- anyone able to help me figure it out? TIA!
@AndriaD @JuicyLucy @SteveS45 @VaporCat @wildgypsy70

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right..but actually the lucky mistake happened bc the app gave me the wrong recipe for weight/grams. Glad it did..just will measure my flavor % other ingredients in a beaker next time but pour by weight on the scale (keeps me from needing a funnel)- & then pour 1 ingredient at a time into the bottle to get my proper volume.

-Hope I can figure out how to use a website to put in volume and get the actual percentages- anyone able to help me figure it out? TIA!
@AndriaD @JuicyLucy @SteveS45 @VaporCat @wildgypsy70

Think I've given you this link at least a couple times:

https://ecigvape.com/e-liquid-calculator-allows-flavors-with-nicotine-plus-pgvg-adjusting

Andria

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I scale it. No issues with scale lag. I do vg 1st cus its the heaviest and i can simply pour back any overages.
Then nic
Then flavors
Then i use a syringe for pg because my current scale maxes out at 100g and i generally do 100ml batches.
Never had a problem and always wheighs out rite in the end.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I mix Flavor, Nicotine and PG in a graduated cylinder and fill remainder of VG into bottle directly. Done.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I scale it. No issues with scale lag. I do vg 1st cus its the heaviest and i can simply pour back any overages.
Then nic
Then flavors
Then i use a syringe for pg because my current scale maxes out at 100g and i generally do 100ml batches.
Never had a problem and always wheighs out rite in the end.
Do you have a tare button? I think mine maxes out somewhere around there but after each ingredient you can hit the tare button, and it goes back to zero. I'm using the scale from Amazon that was recommended if you look at the "mixing by weight" thread.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Y
Do you have a tare button? I think mine maxes out somewhere around there but after each ingredient you can hit the tare button, and it goes back to zero. I'm using the scale from Amazon that was recommended if you look at the "mixing by weight" thread.
Yes i tare it between each ingredient. Unfortunately its a max of 100g in total. Tare just resets the readout but its os still weighing the total amount on scale

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I will be getting a bigger scale when funds are available

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Y

Yes i tare it between each ingredient. Unfortunately its a max of 100g in total. Tare just resets the readout but its os still weighing the total amount on scale
Ok i stand corrected. Tare it and it is accurately going over. C learn something new daily.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Y

Go on Amazon and check out the $20 scale that they say to use if you are measuring or mixing by weight. That is the one that I have, I believe it's called "American Scientific Scale lb-500" -it maxes out at 500g so it's great in that aspect. I just need to pour slower with the heavy VG.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Lol!! I know! It didn't work out for me the first couple of times, but I was distracted and did not have a routine.

What actually helped me- is that the app for ELR, gave me different weight measurements than I got from the website.. and I had only used the app, and it gave me more flavor at 25%, telling me to use 31.09 grams..and for some reason - and I don't know if it's because I did not enter weights for the different since it did not ask for them, or what, but the extra PG and flavor concentrate it gave me made my OMG (ADV) E Juice perfect!

Now I don't know how to convert that into milliliters? It tells me to use 30 ml of PG and concentrate flavor, but it tells me to use 31.09 grams of each.

I did my last bottle by weight- just because I didn't know how to recreate it in volume..?

Anybody that can help with that? Before my friend was using the website.. and making it for me at 25% flavor and 50/50 VG /PG, and I entered the same thing into the app- but I got the numbers I just mentioned, & 60ml pg, 75.66 grams vg weight.

OMG! I figure it out! What the percentage is just by using my calculator and doing the most simple math.. (I worked in Purchasing 10 years)- and I can't believe that it took me so long to think of how to do that, and it came to me when I wasn't even thinking about it, because I was going to open the app and try putting in 26% and see if it gave me a number very close to what I was using in flavor by weight..& All I had to do was:

take the total amount of the flavor's weight in grams (that the app gave me incorrectly), which was 31.09 grams to mix 120ml of eJuice.
So I took the 31.09grams of flavor and divided it by 120ml, and got .0259083333..

So.. to turn that into a %, you move the decimal to the right by two places, which gives me 25.91%!
(So basically 26% is what I'm working with.. if I round it up a little.)
Problem solved!

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

first, ELR has no official app for any phone/tablet.. its someone riding elr's name..
it probably does not have the manufactures specific given weight. ERL does...

This might be an issue for you, or might might not be..

it make larger amounts (sizes) just multiply the weight at what you have now.. example:

30ml to upsize the weights to a 4oz or 120ml multiply it all by 4 because it takes 4 30ml to make a 4oz (120ml)

Hope this helps.. :)

btw.... .02g - .02ml :) it is a 1:1 ratio

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
first, ELR has no official app for any phone/tablet.. its someone riding elr's name..
it probably does not have the manufactures specific given weight. ERL does...

This might be an issue for you, or might might not be..

it make larger amounts (sizes) just multiply the weight at what you have now.. example:

30ml to upsize the weights to a 4oz or 120ml multiply it all by 4 because it takes 4 30ml to make a 4oz (120ml)

Hope this helps.. :)

btw.... .02g - .02ml :) it is a 1:1 ratio
So you're saying 1gram =1ml?

VU Sponsors