Become a Patron!

Ideas for low power simple coil building

NoFog

Member For 4 Years
Hi there,
I have a 60w single battery (hg2) regulated device, and want to slap a build on my rta for it....I am looking for something that wont drain my battery quickly and something thst doesnt fog my room in seconds.....around 20-40w, not kanthal, I had enaugh fun with that, was thinking about probably 26g ni80 or ss316 dual coil but I am not sure what to expect, any ideas?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favorite is a simple, parallel wind. Two strands wound in parallel, 6 to 8 turns. Quick ramp up time, good vapor, great flavor. Should work well with 26 gauge SS.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Use 24 Gauge Kanthal. You can do a nice tight build and keep it simple and modest.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Current build in my Avocado 22 is a single coil 26ss at .4 ohms vaping at around 15watts.

In my Serpent Alto I have same wire builds 1 or 2 more wraps for .52ohm. Running same settings.

My mech is running a .8 single coil....

All give me enough vaping tome to only require 1 battery change per day. Great flavor. Enough vapor to be noticed but to annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually vape around 25 to 40 watts. I like the simpler coil winds better than those fancy ones; less ramp up time (more good vape time) and they give really good flavor. Not good for high power use though.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I usually vape around 25 to 40 watts. I like the simpler coil winds better than those fancy ones; less ramp up time (more good vape time) and they give really good flavor. Not good for high power use though.

At that wattage you can use whatever kind of coil material you like. 24 Gauge will be a good choice.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for, would you suggest ss or nichrome?

SS nichrome or Kanthal.. Is prefered order of choice.... But I tend to choose the one that will give me the vape I'm trying to build for at the OHM wattage and heat Level desired. IF I want to have TC ability I choose SS.... IF I'm going VV VW or Mech, I let Steam-engine.org help decide. Some people say there is flavor differences... I don't think so anymore..... basically I think if you are tasting the wire or wick, you build or power level is wrong, not the materials.

My suggestion model some builds in steam-engine buy 2 or 3 gauges of wire of EACH type. Heck wires cheap buy a 30' spool of all gauges from say 30 to 26 (or 24 maybe even 22). get creative and experiment, learn what you like and build to that desire.

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I tend to use 316l ss most , 6 wrap 24g spaced around a 3mm ,,, or 5 wrap 26g space around a 2.5mm , can't for the life of me remember the ohms right now but above .2 anyway.
the vape very well at 15 -------- 40 watts.
BTW miss-information is my forte*.:devil:
Check steam-engine first:idea:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
SS nichrome or Kanthal.. Is prefered order of choice.... But I tend to choose the one that will give me the vape I'm trying to build for at the OHM wattage and heat Level desired. IF I want to have TC ability I choose SS.... IF I'm going VV VW or Mech, I let Steam-engine.org help decide. Some people say there is flavor differences... I don't think so anymore..... basically I think if you are tasting the wire or wick, you build or power level is wrong, not the materials.

My suggestion model some builds in steam-engine buy 2 or 3 gauges of wire of EACH type. Heck wires cheap buy a 30' spool of all gauges from say 30 to 26 (or 24 maybe even 22). get creative and experiment, learn what you like and build to that desire.
Nichrome80 is a lot longer-lasting and is somewhat more efficient (i.e. it ramps up quicker so it's easier on the battery) compared to SS316L, given the same wattage, same wire thickness, same number of wraps etc., but some people claim Nichrome80 is metallic tasting despite their coil build looks fine, as does their wicking. I suspect this metallic undertaste is due to not enough dry firing their newly built Nichrome80 coils before these people start to use them, and or these people forget to gently keep pulsing repeatedly a few times after the final rinse when dry burning─with Nichrome80 there is a funny smell that rises up from the coils if the coils are heated again as soon as they are dried after the final rinse, and this smell goes away after a few additional gentle pulses. The downside of that is you have to let the coils cool down again before you can insert your fresh wicks, but by the time I have washed and dried my hands, taken the cotton out of the packet, and prepared my wicks, my coils have already cooled down, and the bottom of my build deck has also dried at the same time so all in all it takes only 2-3 extra minutes to get rid of the metallic side effect.

I use only the highest quality Sandvik wire, and I haven't tasted any metal ever since I followed the advice explained above. SS316L is for mass publicity stunts on instagram color chasing coil art or for those who don't know that using temp control to avoid getting dry hits is best compared to using training wheels on a bicycle to avoid falling over. :D

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS is for folks that don't want that iron/blood flavor and want to switch and swap between TC and VW - nice & easy ;-)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sadly, yes - I can't even make DNA tc-mode work as I'd like, so VW & SS is still my mainstay.

NoFog

Member For 4 Years
I used kanthal for a long time but got tired of how little do the coils last. Then just from curiosity bought a pair of prebuilt ni80 coils and mu usual care, cleaning and rewicking it lasted me more than 2 months...I dont think I am coming back to kanthal any soon :D

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Current build in my Avocado 22 is a single coil 26ss at .4 ohms vaping at around 15watts.

In my Serpent Alto I have same wire builds 1 or 2 more wraps for .52ohm. Running same settings.

My mech is running a .8 single coil....

All give me enough vaping tome to only require 1 battery change per day. Great flavor. Enough vapor to be noticed but to annoying.

There avacado 22 is still one of the best atomizers I've ever used. Such amazing flavor. I heard that smm single coil serpent rdta was as good or better

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used kanthal for a long time but got tired of how little do the coils last. Then just from curiosity bought a pair of prebuilt ni80 coils and mu usual care, cleaning and rewicking it lasted me more than 2 months...I dont think I am coming back to kanthal any soon :D

Huh??? In almost 30 years of vaping I have yet to have a coil wear out........ Sure many got damaged by ME, mainly during the cleaning and rewicking dryburn or building process, but never had one wear out. While I do prefer nichrome, I always found it more delicate than Kanthal, but not as delicate as SS. IMO Kanthal coils "last" the longest, Nichrome tastes best and SS has the advantage when considering TC. BUT fact is the choice of which to use at a given time depends mostly on targeted Heat, OHM or Wattage at the time.

NoFog

Member For 4 Years
Huh??? In almost 30 years of vaping I have yet to have a coil wear out........ Sure many got damaged by ME, mainly during the cleaning and rewicking dryburn or building process, but never had one wear out. While I do prefer nichrome, I always found it more delicate than Kanthal, but not as delicate as SS. IMO Kanthal coils "last" the longest, Nichrome tastes best and SS has the advantage when considering TC. BUT fact is the choice of which to use at a given time depends mostly on targeted Heat, OHM or Wattage at the time.
I consider coil "worn out" after It is impossible to clean even after dry burning, sitting in alcohol over night and being cleaned (I use old toothbrush and hot water).
Here I have a picture of a new coil and a CLEANED old coil
https://imgur.com/a/hIXv3tW

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Wow, using the same kanthal coil for 30 years - congrats

I use only the highest quality Sandvik wire, and I haven't tasted any metal ever since I followed the advice explained above. SS316L is for mass publicity stunts on instagram color chasing coil art or for those who don't know that using temp control to avoid getting dry hits is best compared to using training wheels on a bicycle to avoid falling over.

SS heats much faster compared to kanthal and that statement is arrogant rather than informative

basically I think if you are tasting the wire or wick, you build or power level is wrong, not the materials.

Anyone with a refined pallet will taste the difference between wires - and there are considerations that influence taste of the juice such as the required mass of the wire needed to achieve the desired resistance

Stating that you are building wrong if you taste the wire is not correct in all cases

While its fine to endorse kanthal for its merits, using bully tactics and misinformation to endorse its use is not helping anyone

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My favorite metal for lower power is SS316.
For my mtl needs or anything lower power I’ll use a 24/26g single coil parallel with simple round wire, it will usually vape well around 25-30w.

If I’m using dual coil I’ll use dual 26g round wire and usually be good around 30-40w

Unwrap both around a 3mm bit at 5/6 wraps.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, using the same kanthal coil for 30 years - congrats

SS heats much faster compared to kanthal and that statement is arrogant rather than informative

Anyone with a refined pallet will taste the difference between wires - and there are considerations that influence taste of the juice such as the required mass of the wire needed to achieve the desired resistance

Stating that you are building wrong if you taste the wire is not correct in all cases

While its fine to endorse kanthal for its merits, using bully tactics and misinformation to endorse its use is not helping anyone
Well the coil in my table top box is at least that old...don't know what wire is.... oldest RBA Atomiser coil is 2 years.....

In most cases a coil gets changed because I want to change the Vape...or juice.. or I damage it changing a wick. Or In the case of my mechs increase / decrease heat.

They generally just don't stay in an Atomiser long enough too wearout.

I may be an asshole. ..... but. If I taste my wick or taste metal..... I know something ain't right....... therefore something is wrong....... YES... different materials wick or coil even atty and drip tip can result in different flavor results. And preferences.... IMO you shouldn't taste anything but the juice.

NoFog

Member For 4 Years
I went with SS317 26awg, dual coil 3mm 7 wraps each, vapes great at 30w. I was a bit sceptical but the ramp up time was worth it, heck ..with airflow almost closed at 20w I can get a pretty nice mtl as well. Thanks guys

Edit: the coils are 2.5mm, I forgot :D

VU Sponsors