Become a Patron!

Iceland: Smoking Rates Have Dropped Significantly Thanks to Vaping

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Last year, Iceland’s Minister of Health Óttarr Proppé announced a bill was being drafted to extend the existent smoking regulations to vaping, and therefore ban the use of e-cigarettes in bars, restaurants, workplaces and schools. However this bill was not approved.
By not approving this bill, they've retained a huge incentive for smokers to switch.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
By not approving this bill, they've retained a huge incentive for smokers to switch.

If every adult only venue was allowed to allow vaping in any country it would help the switching rate go along much faster then if you didn't allow it.
If this new FDA guy is serious about getting people to switch and Mitch Zeller isn't just bullshitting us with his "continuum of risk" then I see no reason why the US shouldn't allow vaping in adult only venues when they introduce those low nic cigarettes that they have planned to torture smokers with.

The double whammy effect may get the smoking rate down to single digits in a couple years.

But they don't care so they won't do that.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If every adult only venue was allowed to allow vaping in any country it would help the switching rate go along much faster then if you didn't allow it.
Yep. Being able to "vape anywhere" was a string selling point for e-cigs early on and got many people to try them. Unfortunately that advantage is pretty well gone in most parts of the US.

If this new FDA guy is serious about getting people to switch and Mitch Zeller isn't just bullshitting us with his "continuum of risk" then I see no reason why the US shouldn't allow vaping in adult only venues when they introduce those low nic cigarettes that they have planned to torture smokers with.
Most of the restrictions on smoking and vaping are state and local, not federal. The only federal restrictions I can think of are commercial airline flights and on federal property like national parks.

IThe double whammy effect may get the smoking rate down to single digits in a couple years.

But they don't care so they won't do that.
Yep. I suspect the plan is to give as much of the market for nic as possible to their friends in the pharma industry, They are not happy that we've found a way out that doesn't produce much (if any) revenue, either for them in the form of taxes, or for their friends in the form of insane margins.

VU Sponsors