Become a Patron!

I want a Pickle!

HoneyGram57

Member For 4 Years
I'm a pickle junkie, can't get enough of them, so I got this bright ideal to make a vape of my favorite type pickle! Not as easy as it sounds. I found a Dill Pickle flavoring but there's no manufacturers information so I don't play that game. FA makes a Cucumber, Black Pepper & a Bell Pepper flavoring I think I could make work but no dill or garlic. I could make a fermented type pickle using Saline so no need for a Vinegar note but what is a pickle without lots of dill & garlic?!
Anyone with super taste buds got an ideal of available flavoring that could fill these notes?

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Could one chop up some garlic really fine and mix it with some PG for a few days, then strain it? Maybe use a blender then strain it? I'm just guessing as I have never thought of vaping garlic, though it could be fun.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could one chop up some garlic really fine and mix it with some PG for a few days, then strain it? Maybe use a blender then strain it? I'm just guessing as I have never thought of vaping garlic, though it could be fun.

Yeah, no problem getting that out of a coil. Or a tank. Or your drapes. :D

My best to the garlic lovers!

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Could one chop up some garlic really fine and mix it with some PG for a few days, then strain it?
Garlic in ethanol: I would occasionally get requests for homemade garlic vodka. Went over well in Bloody Marys.
Garlic in oil: Can lead to botulism.
Garlic in PG: Unknown. You'd have to do a lot of homework, and probably have to play with acid levels/heat.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A whipper might work for garlic and other flavors. Normally used for making pressurized whipping cream, I have read about using them for infusing oils. I would guess that instead of using oil, use PG or even thinned VG and the herb(s) of your choice. I had read quite some time ago of a person steeping e-liquid in a whipper. That would not be cost effective to me.

I have thought about trying the herb and PG, though I dread the thought of the clean up afterwards.

HoneyGram57

Member For 4 Years
I've had some garlic soaking in PG for several weeks now, even filled a bottle with some dill & PG. Plan on giving them at least a month before testing their strength. If it works I'll start trying to create a pickle recipe :D

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
58494257.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had some garlic soaking in PG for several weeks now, even filled a bottle with some dill & PG. Plan on giving them at least a month before testing their strength. If it works I'll start trying to create a pickle recipe :D
I really would like to know, how the dill & PG works out for you.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Would you have to sterilize/pasteurize somehow after soaking garlic, dill, or whatnot in pg/vg?

(The following assumes PG is better for extraction than VG.)

Dried dill wouldn't worry me too much. Granulated garlic or properly dehydrated garlic wouldn't either.

Real garlic has too much moisture to be safe. And the pH isn't low enough. Here's the deal:

Blostridium botulinum (botulism) is one of the types of bacteria that love the lack of oxygen. Which is why you should never put real garlic in olive oil for salad dressings. This is also why you need to be so careful when you are canning foods or using reduced-oxygen packaging. Yes, oil and PG are different. But wet garlic is still wet garlic.

Garlic has a pH of about 5.8. You have to go down to 4.6 (more acidic) or lower before the pH barrier kicks in.

Moisture content is measured as "water activity." You have to get the water activity value to .85 or less so bacteria don't grow. Jams are around .75 to .80. The "wettest" honey is around .75. Dried milk is .20. Crackers are around .10. Even people that don't dehydrate their own fruit well enough can find their product getting moldy... and I've seen it. Properly dried fruit is around .55 to .80.

I have steeped garlic (the real steeping, not the let-your-juice-sit-in-the-cupboard steeping) in Everclear and strained it out, but ethanol is an entirely different animal than water. I say this, but I am absolutely NOT advocating ethanol for anything related to vaping.

To fully prove my concern about all this, I'd have to give you more stats about PG. But there's no need, when there's granulated garlic on the market.

One final bit of paranoia: One of the chemicals responsible for garlic's aroma/flavor/pungency is allicin. How does that react to PG or VG/PG, and does the combination turn it into a different chemical? Because we'd be inhaling the resulting juice, I wouldn't try using any form of garlic until I found the answer. This is also why I won't try any form of real-food flavor extraction until I learn more.

HoneyGram57

Member For 4 Years
OK, I used dried Dill Seed in PG and let her sit in a dark cabinet for 5 weeks, I then sealed the bottle in a baggie and gave it a 24 hr. water bath in the crock.
Results: the flavor is there and although I haven't mixed a recipe with it yet, I believe it's strong enough to hold its own in recipes.
However after reading several of the warning concerning the use of fresh garlic I've decided to redo this one; even though I got the exact flavor I was looking for...better safe than sorry.

But my elusive pickle will be on hold for a while ... I fell earlier this week and sustained a concussion to which I'm now sporting raccoon eyes! To make matters worst, Thursday I learned I probably have bladder cancer. I'm scheduled for a biopsy 3/10/16 to determine if it's metastasized of if its still contained within the bladder. If you pray..say a little prayer that it's still all within the bladder wall please.
If it's made it out , statistics aren't on my side.

Stay Clam & Vape On!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh no!!! Prayers sent for a positive outcome and a speedy recovery!

HoneyGram57

Member For 4 Years
Eleven months later....
The cancer was widespread but by the Grace of God had not infected any lymph glands. I'll undergo a light scan every 3 months for the next 2 years as this type of cancer has a reputation for coming back. I've danced with this devil 3 times now so I'm a few organs short but here holding my grandchildren. My motto has become, "We don't give up till we go up" so I'll be returning to community volunteer work soon. My battle has made dozens of converts to vaping and stocked to the hilt, I intend to convert many more regardless of what any bureaucrat has to say!

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eleven months later....
The cancer was widespread but by the Grace of God had not infected any lymph glands. I'll undergo a light scan every 3 months for the next 2 years as this type of cancer has a reputation for coming back. I've danced with this devil 3 times now so I'm a few organs short but here holding my grandchildren. My motto has become, "We don't give up till we go up" so I'll be returning to community volunteer work soon. My battle has made dozens of converts to vaping and stocked to the hilt, I intend to convert many more regardless of what any bureaucrat has to say!
I wasn't here when you were last here, but I am glad you are winning the fight! Vape on! And good luck with your pickle juice.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eleven months later....
Sorry to hear this. Please watch these video's. If you need any additional information PM me anytime.

https://cloud.datai.net/index.php/s/pT5QGlJO5KnJVBK

VU Sponsors