Become a Patron!

I want a mech mod with the fewest parts that are reliable and have longevity in mind

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all
I have been vaping since 2009 and I switched to regulated mod not only for safety but also for consistency of current. After several months it seemed no matter how well I cleaned and sanded I would eventually get poor proformance in the few mech mods I owned. The first one I owned was the prodigy from pure smoker.

Any recommendations for a mech mod that has very little voltage drop and has parts easly accessable for cleaning? Thanks!
Price is a factor.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all
I have been vaping since 2009 and I switched to regulated mod not only for safety but also for consistency of current. After several months it seemed no matter how well I cleaned and sanded I would eventually get poor proformance in the few mech mods I owned. The first one I owned was the prodigy from pure smoker.

Any recommendations for a mech mod that has very little voltage drop and has parts easly accessable for cleaning? Thanks!
Price is a factor.

Well, I was going to recommend a Limitless Sleeve Mod, but after doing a little searching, it looks like they might’ve stopped making it (vapor hub still has a brass body that isn’t sold out, but all Button Assembly parts are sold out).
It’s a tube with the only removable part being the Button Assembly that unscrews from the bottom of the mod (the top where you screw the RDA on is part of the tube and non-removable which helps cut down on voltage drop and fits your requirement of being very simple, straightforward, easy to clean, and reliable). Maybe you could find a few sites that still have them (or the parts to make one) on clearance or take a look on eBay or various trading sites/forums to pick one up.

This is one I have...fully assembled and fully disassembled...
874dcf4722628c4a51c6d163419fd7e4.jpg
5aaadd7d2d798d150341baa5235b9d90.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks that seems like a good one from what I have read. I seen one on eBay hopefully it's still there when I get paid. I am assuming the ones from China are fake.

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Well, I was going to recommend a Limitless Sleeve Mod, but after doing a little searching, it looks like they might’ve stopped making it (vapor hub still has a brass body that isn’t sold out, but all Button Assembly parts are sold out).
It’s a tube with the only removable part being the Button Assembly that unscrews from the bottom of the mod (the top where you screw the RDA on is part of the tube and non-removable which helps cut down on voltage drop and fits your requirement of being very simple, straightforward, easy to clean, and reliable). Maybe you could find a few sites that still have them (or the parts to make one) on clearance or take a look on eBay or various trading sites/forums to pick one up.

This is one I have...fully assembled and fully disassembled...
874dcf4722628c4a51c6d163419fd7e4.jpg
5aaadd7d2d798d150341baa5235b9d90.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!
I have the Copper bodied one and it's a good , simple mod that hits the spot nicely.
i like the look of your brass one with the red sleeve, nice.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Copper bodied one and it's a good , simple mod that hits the spot nicely.
i like the look of your brass one with the red sleeve, nice.

Thanks, but it’s not the brass one...it’s an aluminum body, which makes it insanely light. I typically use a Lost Art Edition Goon Clone on it, because it’s made of titanium and also very light. Fully assembled and with the battery in, it actually seems to weigh less in my pocket than a full 30ml bottle of juice.
da5b2a4bff850ee2753eb1c1b42c2eed.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the broadside is a great design as well. the only thing that can wear out is the o-ring holding the clutch plate together (not hard to find replacements, easy to substitute with rubber bands or anything similar) . the switch feels great, it hits hard, looks nice...lovely tube imo.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the broadside is a great design as well. the only thing that can wear out is the o-ring holding the clutch plate together (not hard to find replacements, easy to substitute with rubber bands or anything similar) . the switch feels great, it hits hard, looks nice...lovely tube imo.

100% agree with this. Broadside is a great tube. The Authentic was out of my price range when I was looking at them, so, I ordered a black copper clone broadside off of Fasttech that has done very well for me. The only minor annoyance I had with my clone was with the battery adjustment mechanism. I don’t know about the Authentic, but on the Clone, the post you loosen and tighten the nut on was very short, so, the nut could be a bit finicky when needing to adjust, but nothing that would make me warn someone off them.
Just as another option, you can look at the Admiral, which is basically a broadside that’s 25mm and can use 20700 batteries as well as 18650 batteries (with the accompanying 18650 adaptor sleeve). I ordered a clone of it off of FastTech as well.
158687183599fb40cef8a54315ffa787.jpg

Black Copper Broadside Clone with Apocalypse RDA Clone
3297da1dcc9215611bbddcd34679b7ac.jpg

Rainbow Finish Brass Admiral Clone with iJoy Combo RDA Clone
I love them both!

Last edited:

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, but it’s not the brass one...it’s an aluminum body, which makes it insanely light. I typically use a Lost Art Edition Goon Clone on it, because it’s made of titanium and also very light. Fully assembled and with the battery in, it actually seems to weigh less in my pocket than a full 30ml bottle of juice.
da5b2a4bff850ee2753eb1c1b42c2eed.jpg

ok yer looking at the bigger pics i see now but in the post pics it sure looked brass to me but then again it is saturday night and iv'e been up to no good so my eyes ain't what they should be,,ha,lol. :devil: :bliss: :devil:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok yer looking at the bigger pics i see now but in the post pics it sure looked brass to me but then again it is saturday night and iv'e been up to no good so my eyes ain't what they should be,,ha,lol. :devil: :bliss: :devil:

Yeah, the yellow bulbs in that room didn’t help at all, lol. Not to mention I had upgraded the button to the copper version rather than using the aluminum, so, it could easily be confusing. Also (full disclosure) in the picture it shows the upgrade gold magnets for the button rather than the typical spring that comes with it.

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
The Broadside seems like a nice choice for a simple mod, same with the Limitless.

I really enjoy my Vaperz Cloud VCM2, and it's simple and designed in a way that isn't annoying. It has a spring loaded 510 top cap and a hybrid top cap so you can use what you prefer, the outer steel (probably steel, it's enameled) sleeve, the tube body (mine is copper), and a 4 piece button. The button consists of a reverse threaded insulating ring (winds in and out for button throw adjustment), silver plated copper-beryllium contact, magnets, and the part of the button that you press.

The only con is that the button is recessed into the tube and needs either the included key or a pair of ceramic tweezers to unscrew the button.. but I don't mind because it's a convenient way to deal with battery rattle, no fiddling screwing pins in and out to get it just right and it has never misfired in my pocket because of the recess. I keep the switch key thing on my keychain for out and about and just use tweezers to unscrew it at home, but it's pretty quick to swap batteries. You can also just unscrew it from the 510 side to swap batteries if you prefer.

Other con is it might be a little trickier to find, but I know quite a few places online are still carrying them. They're around $100 I believe. I don't remember the other metals it comes in, but I want to say that there's a stainless steel and brass one if you don't like copper. I know for certain that there is at least one other version that isn't copper. :giggle:

It's been my daily out and about beater for a year and I'll probably keep it in my rotation forever.

PS I don't know for certain, but maybe sanding your mech mods contacts isn't a great idea? The tiny scratches might cause more arcing and less surface area that makes contact? If I have any arc marks, I use a white pencil eraser to rub them off. Someone else who has sanded their mods might be able to chime in with more info on whether it's helpful or not.

Cheers. :cheers:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
? If I have any arc marks, I use a white pencil eraser to rub them off.
I can second that...I forgot about you mentioning the performance starting to lessen after a while and I’ve used the pencil eraser trick and it works great.
A regular cleaning should be all you need...I typically grab a toothbrush, mild dish soap and warm water and give everything a good scrubbing and rinsing followed by a bath in either alcohol or white vinegar for a good hour or two, followed by another round with the toothbrush and rinsing. Lately, right before I reassemble everything I’ve been taking a can of contact spray and hitting all the contact points in the mod and RDA I’m using...I’ve yet to break out any sanding equipment, though I have heard of some instances where that has worked...it would be a final last-ditch attempt at a fix for me, personally.

Edit: Forgot to mention it’s typically best to remove things such as O-Rings and stuff before starting the cleaning process. Stretchy rubber parts don’t tend to agree with the process very well. They’ll more than likely survive if you forget a time or two, but it shortens their lifespan needlessly to just skip that part and leave them on.

Last edited:

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If an eraser works I'd gladly do that instead, thanks! Im considering getting a limitless mech clone. Has anyone bought one of these clones

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the Surfrider from BCV..it's a hybrid mech it has very few parts it's rugged and preforms very well, easy to clean,and not very expensive. it's about the simplest mod I've ever seen .

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A hybrid is where the atty actually touches the battery, why does it say don't use a tank?
who says don't use a tank?...one of the reasons is because alot of tanks now days don't have a 510 pin that is adjustable, or don't have a 510 pin that sticks down below the 510 connector...on a hybrid it is mandatory that the pin sticks down below the connector by at least 1 to 1.5 mm so that the 510 connector doesn't touch the battery,if it does touch the battery it will cause a hard short .which is dangerous. years ago alot of attys were built with adjustable 510 pins where you could unscrew the pin down below the connector , or were built with pins that stuck down below the connector just so you could use a hybrid,but it is less common these days since mech mods have fallen out of fashion and our current regulated mods can pump out such high watts...there are alot of tanks and drippers that simply can't be used on a hybrid mech.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had a broadside, but I love my Smpl mods. One clone one I got from Crazy chef so knowing him it's authentic. Use them both daily still on top of all the squonk mods. Lol the Smpl mods have been great. Just the button assembly and threads to clean. I payed 9 something for the white one on eBay
ddb44ca5c91d070c9c2b29d3fb1a5a71.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you think the pin on my cloud beast sticks out far enough
View attachment 101993
I've never owned one and because of the angle of the picture it's hard to tell,but if it is anything like the picture below, I'd say yes it would work on a hybrid mech mod,but like I said you need to measure it and make sure it's 1 to 1.5 mm below the connector and be careful to make a proper adjustment for the battery so you are not forcing the battery up. also if you do buy a hybrid mod you need to go on youtube and get some reviews and make you fully understand how it is used and how to make the proper adjustments...forcing things on hybrid is not something you can do..the surfrider is an older mod but I think there are still some reviews of it around like Todd's reviews....there is not a ton of adjustment on the surfrider it's main selling point was that it is one of the shortest mech mods made.
I have to add..that the surfrider has a magnetic switch and the modders says using low sub ohms will in time weaken the magnets and they will have to be replaced.

1501712448792997848.JPG

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you may wanna ask around to see if any people who own this tank have used them on hybrid mechs...I tend to err on the side of saftey I have atties that have adjustable pins and I know that I crank their pins to way down farther than they need to be,some people are fine with 1mm...but yeah that's a good idea take the atty ,take a battery and set the atty on top of the battery and see if you can make the connector touch the battery or if the pin keeps the connector from touching,by at least 1mm

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right im glad I know there is such a danger. The mod comes with a rba with a tank underneath it. But I love my cloud beast

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also this place is blowing out a lot of their Mech's, I got some real steals for some Pinoy Mod's there and I do mean steals.

https://www.vaporjedi.com/collections/authentic-mech-mods?page=1

Nice find! Now I’m wishing I had only bought half a tank of gas rather than filling it up, so that I could snag one of those Praxis tubes, lol. I was choosing between a Praxis and a Pegasus for my first tube Mech, and even though I ended up getting (and loving) my Pegasus, I’ve always wondered how the Praxis would’ve worked out. Of course, I don’t think I have any 22mm atty’s anymore to sit flush on it...

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
When I set it on top of the battery I don't see any danger of a short so it seems fine

View attachment 101995

Make sure the 510 pin is static and not just press-fit. Some tanks that take factory coils stick out at first, but when you put them on a mod they can push in, and then you're in trouble.. Kanger Subtank did that I think, and quite a few others, it's how alot of people were blowing themselves up with hybrids.

Personally, I don't use those flat non-adjustable 510s that can't be screwed down on hybrids. Only ones that I know I can screw down tight, or adjustable ones. There are a ton of modern RTAs that are hybrid safe, especially things from, say, VandyVape, they generally have a nice adjustable 510 pin.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure the 510 pin is static and not just press-fit. Some tanks that take factory coils stick out at first, but when you put them on a mod they can push in, and then you're in trouble.. Kanger Subtank did that I think, and quite a few others, it's how alot of people were blowing themselves up with hybrids.

Personally, I don't use those flat non-adjustable 510s that can't be screwed down on hybrids. Only ones that I know I can screw down tight, or adjustable ones. There are a ton of modern RTAs that are hybrid safe, especially things from, say, VandyVape, they generally have a nice adjustable 510 pin.
^^^^^ This

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
^^^^^ This

Yeah, hadn't seen it mentioned yet.

If you asked me, I would personally not run the Baby Beast on a hybrid because I don't like the look of that pin. I'd rather spend a couple bucks on a cheap chinese authentic RTA/RDA with a good positive pin that I'm 100% certain is not going to move around. Not saying running that tank on a hybrid couldn't work, just be damn sure that pin isn't going to move.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, hadn't seen it mentioned yet.

If you asked me, I would personally not run the Baby Beast on a hybrid because I don't like the look of that pin. I'd rather spend a couple bucks on a cheap chinese authentic RTA/RDA with a good positive pin that I'm 100% certain is not going to move around. Not saying running that tank on a hybrid couldn't work, just be damn sure that pin isn't going to move.
Yeah Best on a Hybrid, not only no but fuck no for there is no way I'd trust it. The only way to get around that is to run one of those heat sinks

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right better safe than sorry. I'll probably use the rdta that comes with the limitless clone untill I can get a safer tank, but it's probably a clone too so I'll have to make sure it's safe.

Last edited:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you’re wanting to use a tank on a mech, you might be interested in checking out something like the Revolver Reloaded 2 or the the Desire Mad Dog RDTA Mech Kit.
I haven’t tried the Mad Dog Kit, but I did pick up an RR2 through FastTech and I loved it until I broke it the other day, but I’m ordering another. They’re dedicated RDTA/Mech Combos with the sole purpose being running a tank on a tube. Th only catch is they are built as a single unit, so, you can’t use another RDA or RDTA on the tube and you can’t use the RDTA on another device. But, with it not being very pricey at all for the Clone, maybe you could pick one up for when you want to roll with a tank and get a regular mech for use with an RDA...this is my RR2 (May it Rest In Peace)
d94969cf05cc2b03aebd067773c39341.jpg
7e76a7cf987055efca5f4a55e7faf084.jpg

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
Just one more thing to add about hybrid 510s, then I'll stop preaching at you. :giggle:

The shorter the positive pin on your atty, the less margin for error. If it's only making like 1mm of clearance, it wouldn't take alot to overscrew your atty down and dent your battery in.. which could connect the positive and negative on the 510. The shorter it is, the smaller the dent it would take to short it. Be careful that you aren't overscrewing your atty on a hybrid in general.

Hybrid caps probably sound scary by now, but it's all about knowing how to use them. I run a series hybrid box and hybrid tube as my ADVs, just respect them and you'll be fine. If an atty isn't hybrid safe, that's a deal breaker for whether or not I buy it.

Anyway, something like the VCM2 might suit you, with it's 510 top cap and hybrid top cap. You could run any atty you wanted just by swapping out the top caps.

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im glad to know all the details. Hybrid mods are a new thing to me. Without this thread I wouldn't have thought of tank positive pin length and I would have just thrown my cloud beast right on there. So here's a big THANK YOU to everyone!!

Puneet

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m a shifter, I’ve been on and off with vaping/smoking from last couple of years. From last almost 6 months I am totally off of cigarettes and vaping only. Out of curiosity I bought this vgod elite mech mod off ebay (it’s a clone). And since I bought this two week ago I’ve been reading and watching videos about safety and precautions to take with mech mods. I’d be using it with my limitless plus.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201985379868

Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im glad to know all the details. Hybrid mods are a new thing to me. Without this thread I wouldn't have thought of tank positive pin length and I would have just thrown my cloud beast right on there. So here's a big THANK YOU to everyone!!
unfortuneately this is probablly the single biggest reason for batteries going boom in people's faces....they throw some sub-ohm tank with a flush 510 pin on a hybrid mech and short the battery......and then they blame the whole thing on the mod.

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
unfortuneately this is probablly the single biggest reason for batteries going boom in people's faces....they throw some sub-ohm tank with a flush 510 pin on a hybrid mech and short the battery......and then they blame the whole thing on the mod.

Yeah, even with most online shops having a BIG GIANT BOLD WARNING when you go to buy it online lol.

A lot of B&M shops don't give a shit, a couple out of the 5 in my town will sell a hybrid (or any mech) to anyone who walks in without any questions. Not hard or insulting to the customer to just be like 'hey man, do you know what to do with a hybrid mod or how to use a mech?' One of those shops will lie to your face when you ask if it's authentic though, so... :giggle:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of B&M shops don't give a shit, a couple out of the 5 in my town will sell a hybrid (or any mech) to anyone who walks in without any questions. Not hard or insulting to the customer to just be like 'hey man, do you know what to do with a hybrid mod or how to use a mech?' One of those shops will lie to your face when you ask if it's authentic though, so... :giggle:

I was digging through my graveyard of old stuff and ran across these batteries that I picked up when I first started vaping years ago.
The shop I got them from told me that these were hands down the best batteries on the market and can be used in anything...they didn’t bother to ask what mod or even what kind of mod I was using them in
67a37ddf35fd30625c61a9df9d71785f.jpg

Damn good thing I was only using them in a regulated device and replaced them with different ones soon after, when another shop I went to saw that I was using them.
As much we don’t want ridiculous and unneeded regulation from various government agencies, it would really be nice to see places being held accountable for some of the gross negligence that’s rampant at these places that only care about making a buck, regardless of the cost.

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I want to be as safe as possible. What is a good rdta that has a good static protruding pin. One that is fat and protrudes nicely.

Vulupshatusk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, I hope the limitless rdta clone that comes with my mod doesn't leak so I can save some money but I am not going to hold my breath.

VU Sponsors