Become a Patron!

I need help picking the safest batteries to Super SubOhm?

I have 4 18650 batteries i have in mind.

Demonfire : IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7V High Drain LiMn Demonfire Rechargeable Battery with Button Top - (Black&Red)

Samsung ICR18650-26F 2600mAh 3.7V 18650 Rechargeable Lithium Battery - (Pink)

Samsung INR18650-25R 18650 2500mAh 3.6v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries
(Baby Blue)

LG HE2 18650 2500mAh 35A 3.7v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries
(Red)

I know that Vtc5 are the best battery's in the market but due to money issues I could only afford these battery's I have in mind.

Attachments

• 41cBD-CILPL._AA160_.jpg
    41cBD-CILPL._AA160_.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 41vFcxjEa9L._AA160_.jpg
    41vFcxjEa9L._AA160_.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 59
  • 419YUZ-ly3L.jpg
    419YUZ-ly3L.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 41SsonC-nTL._AA160_.jpg
    41SsonC-nTL._AA160_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 53

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, first, define 'super sub-ohm'....

The last two should be ok for sub-ohms, the first two...nope.

ICR is a no-no and IDKWTF what a Demonfire battery is...sounds like cheap knockoff trouble.

I looked in the reviews of Demonfire it has 42 review most of them are 5 stars. Oh and it says it has 30a.

Which battery do you recommend for safe subohming?

Last edited:

dragonpuff

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Golden rule: anything with "fire" in the name should not be used for vaping (no matter how good the reviews are...). Also, ICRs should never be used for sub ohm vaping - they are not safe chemistry and can explode if overstressed...

As mentioned above, Sony vtc4 or 5 would be your best bet (though I would avoid vtc5 at this point, since most of what's currently sold as vtc5 is actually counterfeit and could be unsafe). The LG and blue Samsungs you listed are good as well. What you should really look into, if you want to push you resistance that low, is getting a box mod that holds 2 batteries in parallel - you can boost your amp rating that way and vape more safely.

My best advice to you is: DO NOT sub ohm that low to begin with! There is no logical reason to do that anyway (you can get more heat, harder hits, etc. by experimenting with different attys and builds), and from the sounds of it you don't know enough about battery safety to even attempt this! You need to do a lot more research on the subject before you dive into it. My suggestions above are only because I think you're going to do it anyway... but I don't think you should.

dragonpuff

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
whats the burst amp? Or it's over 30 or lower? Is the Samsung 25r good for subohming?

You mean the pulse amp rating? You shouldn't rely on that as a guide... especially with how hard you're pushing that device. Keep in mind at .1 ohm on a fully charged battery you're already pushing 42 amps - below that the current will skyrocket beyond the pulse rating pretty quickly.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You mean the pulse amp rating? You shouldn't rely on that as a guide... especially with how hard you're pushing that device. Keep in mind at .1 ohm on a fully charged battery you're already pushing 42 amps - below that the current will skyrocket beyond the pulse rating pretty quickly.
Too add to what dragon said, you can vape at very high power while keeping your amps down. I have a custom built dual 18650 box built in series for 8.4v to the 510 pin when fully charged. I can vape a 0.5ohm on there and get 141 watts of power while only pulling 16.8 Amps shared across 2 batteries (8.4A each). I can also put a 0.2ohm on there and that produces 352 watts while still only pulling 42A total across 2 batteries. Just something to consider...

Thanks for the info it helped alot i haven't used any other battery besides Vtc5 but currently it broke so i was just asking whats the best battery thanks :)!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like efest 35 amp purple and Samsung 25R but just my opinion I use them in my unregulated box mods I build. I don't like Sony vtc allot of people get offended when I say that but o well I think they drop of to quick and waste money efest way better I'm also starting to like 25rs more and more!

facebook.com/punishermods
Your right about Sony's they perform very well 4.2 - 3.7 but drop off quickly after that. I don't like taking my batteries much below 3.7V so I prefer Sony's as they perform the best inside that range. They also hit noticeably harder within that range than any other battery I've tried. I use LG's and (2)EFEST'S also. They perform well in the mid battery range (3.75-3.6) power drops off quick from 4.2 but battery life is noticeably longer in the 3.7 range. Sony's are high performance on top end power, LG's and 35A EFEST are high performance in the mid range distance. Both great cells with a purpose! :)

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
U ever try 26f or panasonic lcr the green ones I think lcr? I never have but curious how they perform

facebook.com/punishermods
Nope. For vaping, I stick with IMR batteries only. My opinion, my choice. From the research I've done I feel this is the safest battery chemistry.

4King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Isnt the purple efest actually amp rate 20(advertise 30)???
I'm using it, looking to upgrade to vtc5, sadly it is discontinuing.

I'm having my eye on the mxjo 2500 (35a) but still waiting for more review....it look and sound good...

A10EN

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Too add to what dragon said, you can vape at very high power while keeping your amps down. I have a custom built dual 18650 box built in series for 8.4v to the 510 pin when fully charged. I can vape a 0.5ohm on there and get 141 watts of power while only pulling 16.8 Amps shared across 2 batteries (8.4A each). I can also put a 0.2ohm on there and that produces 352 watts while still only pulling 42A total across 2 batteries. Just something to consider...
To make sure its known. Series your not sharing amp load. if running 10 amps its 10 amps through both batteries not 5 per.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To make sure its known. Series your not sharing amp load. if running 10 amps its 10 amps through both batteries not 5 per.
Oops. Your right, thanks for the correction. The point I was really going for is that you can get say 168watts from a mech mod but it will need to be a .1ohm and draw 40Amps. With the series box I can get 168watts from a 0.42ohm and only pull 20Amps.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you consider this from a safety standpoint. below .1 is a dead short. Bad things happen faster than you can deal with below that range.
Like sucking down a lung full of hot battery venting gases, getting a face full of slagging battery and mod.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with the last 2 posts. If you want to vape @ that high of power just get a 150w+ dual battery regulated or unregulated mod. No reason to abuse the batteries. Just use more of them and spread the love. :)

A10EN

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even In parallel still need to be very carefull. Monitor your battries constantly, make sure both are drawing the same. One poor connection and could draw more from one.

I totally get that you were just asking questions about batteries. I use the x2 married

these are cheap and reliable and...well...it's what I got bundled with my charger and everyone I asked said they were good, middle of the road work horses. You can get them anywhere including teh Evil Empire known as Amazon, but try and give smaller shops your love if you can.

OK..now: from hanging out in a local Vape Shop, I have seen a LOT of guys come in and ask sets of questions very similar to yours.

I have to pile on for a sec. Your information request was going wonderfully until you mentioned .1 followed by some basic questions alluding to the fact you may just be starting out, which is GREAT! Welcome to vaping!. One of the MANY reasons, but arguably the most high profile, people are starting to raise hell about vaping is encapsulated PERFECTLY in your post. People who do not know what they are doing, in general..not necessarily you, go out and don't understand Ohms and resistance and so on and they get hurt. Just because you COULD do something you must stop and think whether you SHOULD do it. I have been vaping for almost two years and I sit happily using my 100w box and my 5mL tank and .3 Atom Gold Coils to puff puff some Spae Milk. Now... while I am currently experimenting with other set ups, lots of DIY stuff conerning coils and liquids mainly, I happily admit I do not know enough to start messing around with items of the nature you mentioned.

Mainly I just don't want to see you hurt yourself, but also I am concerned with our Vaping Community at large. We have enough shit to worry about with Big Tobacco funding a ton of bullshit legislation state to state. No more faces need be blown off. Start low and slow and work your way up, dude. As a lot of these guys said, there is no reason to go to the extremes you are asking about anyway. There are much safer ways to achieve awesome clouds, throat hit and flavor.

Good luck!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I totally get that you were just asking questions about batteries. I use the x2 married

these are cheap and reliable and...well...it's what I got bundled with my charger and everyone I asked said they were good, middle of the road work horses. You can get them anywhere including teh Evil Empire known as Amazon, but try and give smaller shops your love if you can.

OK..now: from hanging out in a local Vape Shop, I have seen a LOT of guys come in and ask sets of questions very similar to yours.

I have to pile on for a sec. Your information request was going wonderfully until you mentioned .1 followed by some basic questions alluding to the fact you may just be starting out, which is GREAT! Welcome to vaping!. One of the MANY reasons, but arguably the most high profile, people are starting to raise hell about vaping is encapsulated PERFECTLY in your post. People who do not know what they are doing, in general..not necessarily you, go out and don't understand Ohms and resistance and so on and they get hurt. Just because you COULD do something you must stop and think whether you SHOULD do it. I have been vaping for almost two years and I sit happily using my 100w box and my 5mL tank and .3 Atom Gold Coils to puff puff some Spae Milk. Now... while I am currently experimenting with other set ups, lots of DIY stuff conerning coils and liquids mainly, I happily admit I do not know enough to start messing around with items of the nature you mentioned.

Mainly I just don't want to see you hurt yourself, but also I am concerned with our Vaping Community at large. We have enough shit to worry about with Big Tobacco funding a ton of bullshit legislation state to state. No more faces need be blown off. Start low and slow and work your way up, dude. As a lot of these guys said, there is no reason to go to the extremes you are asking about anyway. There are much safer ways to achieve awesome clouds, throat hit and flavor.

Good luck!
I think he blew his face off with his own fuckery or realized he was too stupid to vape.
OP has not logged on since 2014.

damnit..all that typing....lol. Another one bites the dust. Culling of the herd. Darwin in action, I guess.
ty...lmao!

As to you guys taking the time to educate the OP...even if he did take the Darwin Express or your thoughtful education just sent him to the shadows, it still may be of significant help for many others Googling and forum searching and such. Thanks for taking the time...our industry is at such a vulnerable point right now that any and all time and effort to combat dimwittedness is very important!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large_zpsdfsh13zl.gif

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
2014 seems like the dark ages for battery knowledge and availability.

I chuckled a couple times especially at the desire to build below .1 and be completely safe.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol demonfire i remember those...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The original post was two years ago

I know...but to my point, the thread can still be of just as much help as people land on it by way of searches etc

OK. Then for anyone reading this in 2016...

DO NOT buy Efest, Orbtronic, MXJO, or Xxxxfire batteries.
The chorus of people here will say Samsung, Sony, LG. And if you look around here for a few minutes, you'll find out where people are buying legit ones cheaper than the rewraps.

Some rewrap companies are linked to the sites that sell them. Even if they're not, they still find ways to pad reviews.

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sorry for not reading all the tread, but i run MXJOs on my .22 ohm builds. no issues. they are rated in 30 or 35 aps. the IMRENS which my buddies runs on his .2 builds are 40 amps. but he does mechs, i do regulated only. no issues from either of us

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
sorry for not reading all the tread, but i run MXJOs on my .22 ohm builds. no issues. they are rated in 30 or 35 aps. the IMRENS which my buddies runs on his .2 builds are 40 amps. but he does mechs, i do regulated only. no issues from either of us
So I see you're new here as well and trying to be helpful me too and that's awesome but that's some pretty bad advice.

Neither mojo or imren make batteries, they rewrap cells from the actual manufacturers with inflated ratings. There is no way to know what battery is under the wrapper.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 18

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Samsung 25rs. End of story. Run them in my mechs and regulateds. I have lgs but feel the 25rs are all around best. And I think the lowest dual coil build I have running is .1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Dude, check out Mooch's battery tests. MXJO rewraps some good cells and a few bad cells. IMREN mainly rewraps grossly overrated bad cells. Point being, you don't need to buy a re-wrapped battery when you can buy the real thing cheaper. Many of these re-wrap companies purchase B & C bin reject cells from the big 4. You're not in such bad shape with the MXJO and a regulated mod, since MXJO rewraps a lot of Samsung 25r's, but your buddy is rolling the dice with those IMREN's in a mech. Check Mooch's reviews and see which one your friend is using, you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Samsung 25rs. End of story. Run them in my mechs and regulateds. I have lgs but feel the 25rs are all around best. And I think the lowest dual coil build I have running is .1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dangerous!! At .1 ohm you are running at 22 amps with the Samsung 25r. It's a 20a battery. I have two and they last a while and are okay vaping above .25 but I wouldn't push it any further. I use vtc5's which about 30A or LG hg2's which are also 30A for ohms in the .1 arena. Better safe then sorry.. I keep hearing this and I must agree as I own all three types. Samsung, LG and sony. Those are your good batteries. Everything else is either rewrapped or fake. Always test your batteries and buy from trusted dealers with about good reputation. I don't care how old this post is. People will see this. Go to stream engine and use the proper battery calculators, ohm calculators etc to assure safety. Always vape responsibly.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
LG HG2 and VCT5A and 25r are all 20 amp batteries not 30 amps.
Mooch rated the 5a at 25amps so it is slightly better for 22 amp pulses but we're talking about 2 amps over CDR or three amps under.

I know plenty of people that build much lower for 25Rs and 5As.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dangerous!! At .1 ohm you are running at 22 amps with the Samsung 25r. It's a 20a battery. I have two and they last a while and are okay vaping above .25 but I wouldn't push it any further. I use vtc5's which about 30A or LG hg2's which are also 30A for ohms in the .1 arena. Better safe then sorry.....Go to stream engine and use the proper battery calculators, ohm calculators etc to assure safety.

Are you sure you use "steam" engine? .1ohm is pulling 42A, not 22. You can run a series mod, or a 200+w regulated, and accomplish the same lip, throat, and mouth burning sensation to impress juvenile friends, in a much safer manor. With a series mod at 8.4v fully charged, you can run .4ohm @ 21A instead of .1 at 42A, both are 176watts, and with series, be at 5% headroom instead of -91% (using 25r's)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You want higher wattage from a mech?
Get a parallel mech box and build low AND safe or get a serial mech box and get higher wattage at higher resistance.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He may cough a lung but at least he won't blow his face off :D

LG HG2 and VCT5A and 25r are all 20 amp batteries not 30 amps.
Mooch rated the 5a at 25amps so it is slightly better for 22 amp pulses but we're talking about 2 amps over CDR or three amps under.

I know plenty of people that build much lower for 25Rs and 5As.

20 amp continuous and 30 amp pulse. Who runs continuous? The 25 r is 20 amp pulse and continuos. It's an inferior battery. I own both and the LG he4 and prefer the LG for basic sub ohm vaping and my vtc5's for low range sub ohm vaping. I literally quit using my 25r's because they just didn't cut it. .25 ohms is the absolute lowest I would push them. Go on steam engine and enter the numbers..

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dangerous!! At .1 ohm you are running at 22 amps with the Samsung 25r. It's a 20a battery. I have two and they last a while and are okay vaping above .25 but I wouldn't push it any further. I use vtc5's which about 30A or LG hg2's which are also 30A for ohms in the .1 arena. Better safe then sorry.. I keep hearing this and I must agree as I own all three types. Samsung, LG and sony. Those are your good batteries. Everything else is either rewrapped or fake. Always test your batteries and buy from trusted dealers with about good reputation. I don't care how old this post is. People will see this. Go to stream engine and use the proper battery calculators, ohm calculators etc to assure safety. Always vape responsibly.

0.1ohm build only pulling 22 amps? Don't know what formula you are using but the most basic for mech's is Voltage/Resistance=Amps and a fresh charged battery is 4.2v

4.2v/0.1ohms=42amps
even at nominal rated voltage of 3.7v
3.7/0.1=37amps
22amps X 0.1ohms=2.2v <---Here is adding another level of dangerous, running a Liion 18650 below 2.5v deteriorating the cathode and anode copper into the electrolyte and risk internal micro-arcing

Go ahead, break out a calculator and double check the math

Your information on the VTC5 and HG2 are also skewed out of spec, VTC5 has always been 20amps, the VTC3 which everyone selling Sony Batteries back 2 or 3 years ago assumed the whole VTC line matched the VTC3's 30amp rating, but here in 2017 we've learned the 5 is 20, the VTC4 is about 23amps, and the VTC3 though rated at 30amps can really only achieve 28amp Continuous. The LG HG2, manufacturer rated at 20amp Continuous, independent professionally tested max 18amp CDR. For most intents and purposes for safety, most of us here preach using the CDR of a battery not their pulse discharge as there is not standard between manufacturers to actually be consistent what signifies a pulse discharge (examples 40amp pulse at 1/10th a second or 60amp pulse at 1/2 second before the battery wants to shift down to CDR without ramping up internal temperature and pressure), CDR is a known standard and can be reliably operated at the entire battery discharge.

Lowest build I suggest on a single battery mech is 0.25ohms, doesn't matter the battery used be it a 20amp Samsung 30Q to a 25amp Sony VTC5A to a 30amp LG HB6 as long as the battery has at least a 20amp CDR.
Dual Battery Parallel Mech Box in the 0.11 to 0.14 lowest
Dual Battery Series about 0.55ohm lowest

Sorry on the call, but as you stated, old thread or not, some new vaper will see it, needed to add some corrections and explain out my reasonings and where I base my opinion upon them for safety.

VU Sponsors