Become a Patron!

I just dropped 400$ on vape stuff, and its terrible.. help?

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so i bought a lavabox limited 200watt battery, some kangertech topfill mini's and whenever i try to vape at 30watts it flashes "Temperature Protection" i don't know anything about vaping but i am trying to stop smoking and this is annihilating my lungs i have tried a smaller pen style vapourizer but it goes off volts not watts. i need help please.... also, it seems to work better at 15 watts but the tank says 15-50 watts is recommended but it goes into temperature protect at 30 and has a burnt flavor.

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Umm just guessing seeing as you didn't give what the coil is. But make sure your not using a kanthal coil in temp mode. Make sure device is in watts mode then try. And I'm new so don't take anything I say a gospel :)

Reactions: CJ

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A pretty new vapor really shouldn't be using a DNA device. At least not unless you are a techie. You don't seem like one.

Myself, I am not familiar with DNA's. SO I'll page @f1r3b1rd

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1 x Kanger TopTank Mini Clearomizer

1 x Kanger SSOCC SUS316 Atomizer Coil (0.5 Ohms)

1 x Kanger SSOCC Nickel Ni-200 Atomizer Coil (0.15 Ohms)

1 x Kanger Mini RBA Plus Deck

1 x Kanger RBA Accessory Set

1 x User Manual

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sorry, i cut/pasted that from what comes with the topfill mini, no idea what it has in it from the get go, i will check the box see what one is left inside

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FzC0zZD.jpg
this one says .5 ohms 15-60w
and mini RBA plus
zQW5lC6.jpg

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm ok so I assume the Ni-200 is in the tank then? If so you need to have the mod in temp mode. I don't really use temp control so wont try to help further

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i just swapped out one of the tanks coils with the one in the picture. will try at 16.5 watts and report back. just waiting for the juice to soak in.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use the ssocc coil. It is stainless steel and can be used in power and temp control. Throw that in, put the mod in power mod and vape it. There's a lot to learn about dnas and setting them up. So till you learn do that. And don't forget to prim the coil with some juice.

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
now i am scared, i hope to god that horrible taste was not nickle... have not tried the new coil yet

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
if the coil says that it is at 0.5ohms than it is Kanthal not ni200
it is probably saying temp protected; because, you have temp mode turned on.

I would never advise a new vapor to get a dna mod, unless you are fairly knowledgable first.
thank you @freemind

here are some videos that will walk you through the board and its software

first thing you need to do is verify what coil you are using
if it says a resistance of 0.15 ohms than it is nickel

I don't know anything about the tank you are using so I cant tell you what metal you are vaping.

but, use the Kanthal one; it should be marked somewhere
go into the lock screen (click fire button 5 times) then hold down the + and - until you can change the temperature.
click + button until it says off
then go back to the fire mode and drop down to a wattage fit for the coil

make sure you PRIME the coil before using it.
since you are new to vaping I would not use TEMP control at all, until you get your feet wet a little with operation of the mod. you can use SS or Kanthal in power mode, but NOT nickel of titanium

@Wingsfan0310 might have some other advice as well.

Last edited:

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
By prime, you mean let the juice soak in? like 5 minutes right?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
By prime, you mean let the juice soak in? like 5 minutes right?
negatve cap, with the older clearo coils that worked.
now with all the newer cotton, drop a few drops onto the coil and the windows, fill the tank and let it sit about 10 minutes to get good and saturated.

again, I don't have that tank, so I'm wingin it there.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ok good... adjust power (Wattage to taste)

also, there is a thread here with a lot of other knowledgeable dna owners
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hcigar-vt133-dual-18650-dna200.171476/page-128#post-1439910

and there is this here with some info for new vapors
http://vapingunderground.com/blogs/for-the-new-and-inexperenced-vapor.16/

really though, do yourself the favor and after you get this vaping ok for you, watch those videos. it looks like a lot of homework, but you bought one of the most technologically advanced modders boards out there.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stainless steel is way better to me. Never like nickle. And it's a big plus for you since you can vape it in power and temp mode.

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
man, i really should of done some research i just figured it would be cheaper in the longrun with a upfront cost of a few cartons of darts to get a really good vapour thingy

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stainless steel is way better to me. Never like nickle. And it's a big plus for you since you can vape it in power and temp mode.

Do i have to take it out of temperature protection mode for this new coil? its got a red ring on the coil so i assume its SS? the coil says 15-60watts so.... should i try 50? i dripped a bit of ejuice on the coil itself and at 15w i got virtually no vapour so i upped it to 30w just to get some vapour and it worked but i am scared about inhaling metal

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
man, i really should of done some research i just figured it would be cheaper in the longrun with a upfront cost of a few cartons of darts.
I did a similar thing when I started a little more than 3 years ago, so I get the thought process.
my first mod was 200$ variable voltage mod (fairly new vape tech for the time).
Using a DNA board is a whole different world, though.
Once you get the ins and outs of the board figured out, you'll be fine.
UNTIL then, just keep TC off, make sure you use Kanthal - or SS- and you'll be ok.

the board operates fine without the temp control feature, you want to make sure you're using the right metal is all.
Once you get that handled, you can do some really cool stuff with that mod. It is definitely one of the better ones out there.

Congrats BTW!

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, So far i have removed the coils that came in the tanks (Blue stripe on the bottom, guessing nickle since it says .15 ohms 15-50w) and put in the other coils (red stripe .5 ohms, 15-60w) and have primed and soaked both coils. have not tried the 2nd one yet, but the first one i did try tasted a lot better, just less vapour

gumby83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did a similar thing when I started a little more than 3 years ago, so I get the thought process.
my first mod was 200$ variable voltage mod (fairly new vape tech for the time).
Using a DNA board is a whole different world, though.
Once you get the ins and outs of the board figured out, you'll be fine.
UNTIL then, just keep TC off, make sure you use Kanthal - or SS- and you'll be ok.

the board operates fine without the temp control feature, you want to make sure you're using the right metal is all.
Once you get that handled, you can do some really cool stuff with that mod. It is definitely one of the better ones out there.

Congrats BTW!

Thanks man, fingers crossed it can help me with my 2 pack a day problem.

edit: Just cranked the first tank to 40w, lots of vapour but something molten hot hit my lip and burnt it.... ejuice from priming? going to back down to 25w till excess juice on the coil is burnt off

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, So far i have removed the coils that came in the tanks (Blue stripe on the bottom, guessing nickle since it says .15 ohms 15-50w) and put in the other coils (red stripe .5 ohms, 15-60w) and have primed and soaked both coils. have not tried the 2nd one yet, but the first one i did try tasted a lot better, just less vapour
if it says 0.5ohms it's probably nichrome.
http://sweet-vapes.com/tanks/kanger...ubtank-vertical-organic-cotton-coils-occ.html

adjust the power to where you like it and leave tc off with nichrome.
you'll eventually drop the cigs, just stick with it.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I can't be sure from your pic up-thread, but the SS heads are Pink ringed, not Red. They're also Unicorn rare outside of a tank purchase inclusion, so you may actually have some.

Here's the lowdown on Kanger's confusing SSOCC heads...
(the "SS" in SSOCC refers to the body material... not the wire)

Packaging highlight and O-Ring color...

Red - NiChrome 0.15, 0.5, 1.2, 1.5 - Use Watts/Power Mode
Blue - Nickel 0.15 - Use Nickel Mode (NiTC) ONLY !!!
Pink - Stainless Steel 0.5 - Use either SSTC or Watts/Power Mode... your choice
Black - Clapton (Kanthal) 0.5 - Use Watts/Power Mode

A DNA is not very entry-level friendly, but if you can get past the initial learning curve (and find you enjoy the control the EScribe software offers) then you are correct... it's a top-shelf investment in vaping gear.

(And Volcano is a rockin' hot company to deal with... great people)

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks man, fingers crossed it can help me with my 2 pack a day problem.
edit: Just cranked the first tank to 40w, lots of vapour but something molten hot hit my lip and burnt it.... ejuice from priming? going to back down to 25w till excess juice on the coil is burnt off

Look I understand why you went for what you did... DNAs are not for beginners, but whatever, you've got it, clearly you have the money for it... But who sold it to you? If you got it locally, what ASSHOLE sold you $400 in vaping equipment and didn't teach you how to use it before walking out of the store?

That said, if you got it online, then I'd totally understand why you'd be a little confused. I'm just curious about the root of the problem.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Red banded coils are SSOCC 0.5 ohm and I use those in power mode at 40 watts.
Blue banded coils are Ni200 temperature control coils 0.15 ohms and you use those in TC mode. I use 460 degrees for those. Wattage just controls how fast these reach the set temperature.
Those are the two coils that come with the Toptank Mini. The other rebuildable coil needs some knowledge and research. Don't play with this if you don't have any idea what to do.
I think the TC Ni200 coil is in the tank when you buy it.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Look I understand why you went for what you did... DNAs are not for beginners, but whatever, you've got it, clearly you have the money for it... But who sold it to you? If you got it locally, what ASSHOLE sold you $400 in vaping equipment and didn't teach you how to use it before walking out of the store?

That said, if you got it online, then I'd totally understand why you'd be a little confused. I'm just curious about the root of the problem.
to be fair, I'm pretty sure FDA regulations don't allow that which is total BS. they think its safer for people to buy stuff and not be able to learn how to use it safely?

still kinda shitty for the store to sell such a hard to use mod like that, but hey we are here to help and it's a great mod. IDK why he paired with with a kanger mini tank. that mod needs a better tank for it to be worth it. that kanger tank can run on a 30 dollar basic mod with no issue

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup yup yup. I was thinking that too. Crappy tank, blazin' mod... I'd rather have the reverse, frankly...

But OP, please tell us where/how you got the DNA mod?

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Red banded coils are SSOCC 0.5 ohm and I use those in power mode at 40 watts.
Blue banded coils are Ni200 temperature control coils 0.15 ohms and you use those in TC mode. I use 460 degrees for those. Wattage just controls how fast these reach the set temperature.
Those are the two coils that come with the Toptank Mini. ...

I don't know how many different factory or vendor "packages" are available for the TopTanks, but at least some of them were initially coming with a Pink Band SS head. In fact... that's where 99% of those heads were coming from.
Not that that was a great many, or the majority of them... I just don't know what was the norm.

I cant say what the current state of the market is either, I stopped trying to source a 5-pack at least six months ago (a lot of us SS users just wanted to try them, going all the way back to their introduction last Nov/Dec).

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Probably the horrid taste was that no body told the OP to prime his coil and he was burning it up. If that's the case you might as well toss that coil and start fresh and properly. The Toptank mini is a nice tank for a basic start kit. It will accept a variety of coils so you can experiment with different types that produce different flavours of vape with the exact same juice. I use the Toptank Mini & the Toptank Nano (the little brother) on my 80w Tesla TC mod. I do't think the SS Tc coils would work on my mod. If I put in a TC coil it asks if it's Ni or Ti. I don't know if the SS TC coil would even read as TC and if it did what would I answer? I'm guessing I could use those in P/W mode. I've not tried them yet. I like the Clapton coil and run it at 40 to 45 watts with most juices. I use the 0.15 Ni200 coil when I'm vaping while I'm drinking beer because I forget to fill my tank. The TC mode is great for drunken fools like me. :vino:
I prefer the Toptank Nano. it's easier to take apart than the Mini for cleaning when I'm changing juice flavours. I use those little jewellery bags to store used, still good coils too when I'm changing flavours. I put the coil next to the bottle of juice so I know which is which. It would be great to have about 10 tanks with all different flavoured juices in them and then you could easily change from one to another.

Here's what I get for the Toptank Mini:
Package Contents:

• 1 x Kanger Toptank
  • 1 x SSOCC 0.5Ω
  • 1 x SSOCC 0.15Ω
  • 1 x Mini RBA Plus Base
  • 1 x Manual
  • 1 x Bag Cotton
  • 3 x Screws
  • 1 x Prebuilt Coil
  • 1 x Screw Driver

Last edited:

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I put in a TC coil it asks if it's Ni or Ti. I don't know if the SS TC coil would even read as TC and if it did what would I answer?

Your mod is reactive, not predictive. Since SS is a temp-control capable metal, the mod will work in Ti or Ni mode. In fact, nickel coils will generally work in Ti mode, and vice versa. But if you do any of these things, the temp setting will likely be inaccurate.

It's not a big deal, just adjust the temp setting until you get what you like... doesn't really matter if the mod says "320F" and you're actually getting something more like 400F. Back when I used titanium coils on an iStick that didn't have titanium mode (seems silly these days), i just used Ni mode, and lowered the temp by 100F to get what I wanted.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
VAPECRUSADER IS RIGHT, the mod only knows what information you give it.
it only sees the current resistance, not what metal that resistance is or build. In that light a 0.2 ohm build in single coil and a 0.2ohm build in dual coil, are two different quantities of metal. The mod does not know your build, only numbers... it is a computer. generally speaking a mathematically accurate computer. But, no more, no less. It calculates the temperature by using the change in the resistance.
If you run the same resistance in different forms of build, you will see a wide array of settings.
for my hadalay I have a single fused Clapton SS coil at a 0.3 ohm resistance, running at 45w preheat, and 35w at 400 degrees.
in my petri, I have a dual coil Clapton in SS at a 0.27 ohm build, running at 75w preheat, 55w and 520 degrees.

my point is, there are multiple factors involved, the board in both cases see's similar numbers; but, due to the nature of the builds, it needs entirely different settings to run in a satisfactory way for me. This is not the fault of the board, or anything wrong, it is merely monitoring the numbers only.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That's all very good info guys. Thanks a lot! I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I'm pretty sure you've helped the OP too.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's all very good info guys. Thanks a lot! I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I'm pretty sure you've helped the OP too.
no worries, I vape TC almost exclusively and have since before the first tc mod was publicly available.
I put these in a post above, some o the info will be repetitious if you've been vaping a while, other stuff with tc may be helpful though.

also, there is a thread here with a lot of other knowledgeable dna owners
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hcigar-vt133-dual-18650-dna200.171476/page-128#post-1439910

and there is this here with some info for new vapors
http://vapingunderground.com/blogs/for-the-new-and-inexperenced-vapor.16/

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That GIF is how he actually dances... he thinks we're laughing with him. :rolleyes:

:p
I challenge you to not go watch a Vanilla Ice vid. You almost have to after that. They're fun to giggle at and think back to, "yeah we did look like that, didn't we?"

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
YEAH... check out that beat while the DJ revolves it.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
man, i really should of done some research i just figured it would be cheaper in the longrun with a upfront cost of a few cartons of darts to get a really good vapour thingy
Normally, it is. You kind of jumped in with both feet. lol. Mod is fine, and kanger toptank is what I started with. 25-30w is going to be your best vape. At least until you build your own coils on the RBA mini. Stick around 0.5 ohm for that. Remember, just because your box will do 200w, doesn't mean your tank will. Highest I ever got my kanger was 65W with dual coil build. (Yes, that was tricky as hell.. lol)

VU Sponsors