Become a Patron!

I have never vaped, but want to

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
update on the EGO AIO. yesterday I was starting to get a throat burning nasty taste, much like a hard hit of a cig butt.
got home from work and changed out the coil, works good now. I watched a vid about cleaning the coils, I will try it.
aslo saw a vid about a modification to the coil to give a better hit, I will try that also. but after I get the innokin, this will be relegated to under cover vaping = not used much.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a lot to learn, but not as much as it may at first seem, and it will be second nature before you know it

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok. just cleaned the 1st coil and did the coil mod. HOLY FREAKIN CLOUD BATMAN ! and I wasn't even hit'n it hard. and the hits are easier, with better taste.

bad thing, last of 5 hits was burnt. so I will clean it better and give it another try. but not today.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can see it comin folks. A year from now our friend here is going to have a shelf full of vape gear. :D

A couple things to consider. Units like the IGO, while great at what they do, aren't necessarily suited that well for chain vaping or even really hard long hits. Some of the vets will know better than me, but I think you're just pulling the cotton dry.

The coolfire is a step in the direction of alleviating that.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I can see it comin folks. A year from now our friend here is going to have a shelf full of vape gear. :D

A couple things to consider. Units like the IGO, while great at what they do, aren't necessarily suited that well for chain vaping or even really hard long hits. Some of the vets will know better than me, but I think you're just pulling the cotton dry.

The coolfire is a step in the direction of alleviating that.

lol, idk bout dat. but I do think I will have more than I planned. I have fallen down the rabbit hole many times, lost/waisted a lot of money doing it.
so now I do/try to restrain myself. the thing about this stuff = the gear isn't really all that expensive, considering I am/was spending $75 for 3 weeks of smokes.

yes, I know, pushing my luck with it. yes, dry cotton, I'm thinking.

and just for the record. I did not start this to QUIT smokes. I'm doing it to "cut down" on smokes. but it is looking like I will be cutting down far more than I had expected, as, so far, I already am.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
lol, idk bout dat. but I do think I will have more than I planned. I have fallen down the rabbit hole many times, lost/waisted a lot of money doing it.
so now I do/try to restrain myself. the thing about this stuff = the gear isn't really all that expensive, considering I am/was spending $75 for 3 weeks of smokes.

yes, I know, pushing my luck with it. yes, dry cotton, I'm thinking.

and just for the record. I did not start this to QUIT smokes. I'm doing it to "cut down" on smokes. but it is looking like I will be cutting down far more than I had expected, as, so far, I already am.
That’s the math I used for the first few years I vaped.
I was a 2 pad smoker so figure 10 bucks a day- 300$ a month on cigs.
I let myself spend 300$ a month on vape gear.

The rabbit hole got really big, once I found myself with 57 mods and 100 atomizers. 2 years ago I sold all but 5 setups. I took that money and bought a brand new 4K drone. Now I’m slowly building the rabbit hole back, only dropped the vape budget to a third of its former self.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
2 packs a day, holy fuck. I think that would kill me, really.
They were lights so it wasn’t that bad :facepalm:
Lmao

Seriously though, safe to say vaping really did save me

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
anyway, I have my stuff. written directions and me do not get along. so I am off to watch some vid's, if I can find any, on how to get it up and running. first, idk what coil is in it. and then what settings. I did charge it. I want to start mild, a bit more than my pen mod. so if ya want to offer up, lmk. I will be checking back often tonight.

IMG_3182.JPG

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It should have the resistance written on the side of the coil. Usually there will also be a suggested power range as well.
Start low and work yourself up until you find a setting you like

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok. but I didn't take it out and look at it. and I already put some juice in there. but I will go and check on this.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Package Contents:
1 x Innokin Cool Fire 4 TC100W MOD with Aethon Chip
1 x Innokin iSub V Tank
1 x iSub KAL BVC 0.5ohm Coil/Atomizer Head
1 x (Pre-installed) iSub SS316L BVC 0.5ohm Coil/Atomizer Head
1 x Innokin Tank Band

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would start around 20-25w and work from there.
Adjust as needed to get the flavor and vape you want.

Just make sure you’ve primed the coils well before you start. That burnt cotton taste can be a real interesting thing to get rid of.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok. i'v good smooth clouds. not really big, but I don't care about that. I want some flavor, almost none now.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What Wattage and what Temperature? You have to find the Happy Place and also the coil needs time to break in. Hopefully you properly primed it.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have been playing with it, 10w up to 60w, and many temps. right now 50w and 450t. I put some juice in it and let it set well over 1/2 hour, probably 1 hour. I have gotten no bad tastes, but no good taste. some pretty nice clouds, i am not looking for big clouds. and some not so big. ....I am using my familiar juice in the big bottle, the stuff is pretty thick compared to the new sample bottle I just got.

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I have been playing with it, 10w up to 60w, and many temps. right now 50w and 450t. I put some juice in it and let it set well over 1/2 hour, probably 1 hour. I have gotten no bad tastes, but no good taste. some pretty nice clouds, i am not looking for big clouds. and some not so big. ....I am using my familiar juice in the big bottle, the stuff is pretty thick compared to the new sample bottle I just got.

Hmm - if you let the coil set that long, is should be pretty well juiced. I wondering now how new or old your juice is.

If it's real new, it may need to 'steep.' Steeping e-juice involves letting it age to achieve better flavor.
https://vaping360.com/best-e-liquids/steeping-e-juice/

If the juice has sat for too long it may need a good mixing - you may be mostly vaping the VG in your juice, and VG doesn't hold flavor well.
PG/VG combo vape juice, if not mixed, will settle in layers in your bottle.VG is heavier, so it will be on the bottom, with PG floating on the top.
The flavoring will float around in there too somewhere, depending on how it's made.
If it's water based, it will be with PG since propylene glycol is hygroscopic.

A good tip I was given when I started vaping was to occasionally give your vape juice a good shaking - until you see little bubbles all in it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
just for the record. I did not start this to QUIT smokes. I'm doing it to "cut down" on smokes. but it is looking like I will be cutting down far more than I had expected, as, so far, I already am.

I've seen similar experiences many times online.

People start off vaping at times when it's inconvenient to smoke and end up quitting by accident.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for cost... vaping is MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheaper than smoking

So much so cheaper I'm only spending like one tenth of what I spent on cigarettes annually, and I'm combining two years of vaping to do that. So if per year I would spend $1,000 on cigarettes that means I'm only dropping $100 for vaping that year. Sometimes it works out to less too.

Then, there's also the after market cost of reducing health care from risks associated with smoking. That is nearly priceless, imho. And any risk via mods and batteries warrants taking a little time and learning some good sense. Those risks are then greatly mitigated. Yes, some still remains. Nothing is ever without risk/s.

You have to weigh risk/s to reward/s for yourself. For myself it's worth what nominal risk remains in vaping to have risk from smoking reduced about 95-98%.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You might have more success staying in wattage mode for now, save tc until you get a feel for your equipment and juices. I use ss coils and pretty much stay in wattage mode. That's the benefit of using ss, works well in wattage and tc both.

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
$ 25 a packet of low quality 20s here
changed to us dollars thats ~ $ 16.50

although vape juice and equipment here is 1.5 - 2 x the price of the usa .. there are always other ways

so the cost in days smoking for mods and gear is only a few days to recoup

so my next mod is likely to be the geekvape aegis legend
waterproof and rugged .. 2 things i need for watches, phones and apparently mods as well

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
$ 25 a packet of low quality 20s here
changed to us dollars thats ~ $ 16.50

although vape juice and equipment here is 1.5 - 2 x the price of the usa .. there are always other ways

so the cost in days smoking for mods and gear is only a few days to recoup

so my next mod is likely to be the geekvape aegis legend
waterproof and rugged .. 2 things i need for watches, phones and apparently mods as well
Doubt you'll be disappointed with the Legend, it's quite popular around here.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
$16.50 a pack !!!! holly fuck. mine are about $7.50

anyway. I vaped all day at work, was pretty nice. I found low 40's wattage mode to be good. I mixed a little menthol in with my large bottle tobacco juice, I put to much menthol in, but it wasn't bad. and I took a lot more and bigger hits that I did with the pen mod, and only used the same amount. :cool:

last night having some beers, it was hit'n pretty darned good. and I put more smoke juice in to dilute the menthol. tasted ok.
UNTIL I got some burnt hits :blech:. kick the power down some and smaller hits got me through the night.
I am going to get another tank, so I can just switch em out if that happens again.
I have enough juice to last about a week, so I have to get on getting more. or else just go to the vape shop.

the 6 samples I got. the menthol, it is just that, and STRONG !. the others, not liking what I have tried of them. the "fire and ice' is almost nasty. the "peach tobacco' is about as nasty.

I have so many questions, idk where to start.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
$16.50 a pack !!!! holly fuck. mine are about $7.50

anyway. I vaped all day at work, was pretty nice. I found low 40's wattage mode to be good. I mixed a little menthol in with my large bottle tobacco juice, I put to much menthol in, but it wasn't bad. and I took a lot more and bigger hits that I did with the pen mod, and only used the same amount. :cool:

last night having some beers, it was hit'n pretty darned good. and I put more smoke juice in to dilute the menthol. tasted ok.
UNTIL I got some burnt hits :blech:. kick the power down some and smaller hits got me through the night.
I am going to get another tank, so I can just switch em out if that happens again.
I have enough juice to last about a week, so I have to get on getting more. or else just go to the vape shop.

the 6 samples I got. the menthol, it is just that, and STRONG !. the others, not liking what I have tried of them. the "fire and ice' is almost nasty. the "peach tobacco' is about as nasty.

I have so many questions, idk where to start.
Congrats in sticking with it ...

You may want to write down and organize your questions and then just fire away.
As you can see most of the members here are more than happy to offer as many answers and advice as you need. We’ve all been where you’re at.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't be afraid to try non tobacco flavored juices too. Desserts, fruits etc.

Although I have a feeling, and of course it's just a feeling over the internet, so take that for what it's worth, that you are going to wind up with a dual battery high power device.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also have the further feeling that once you find out what Vape neighborhood you're most comfortable living in, you're going to quit smoking altogether.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Congrats in sticking with it ...

You may want to write down and organize your questions and then just fire away.
As you can see most of the members here are more than happy to offer as many answers and advice as you need. We’ve all been where you’re at.

as it is now, it looks like cigs are all but gone. but I did have 1 today.

I think I am going to try putting specific questions in the requisite rooms = I have a tank question in the tank room.
and I need a new extra one quick = I just knocked my mod over and half surprised it didn't break the glass.
like you guys say = backups.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just knocked my mod over and half surprised it didn't break the glass.
Not everyone likes them, but a vape band can also protect your tank. I have one on almost all of mine, one that I've not found one that fits. It's just a small silicone ring that goes around it. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped mine, even on tile and concrete, and my tank was fine. Still scared me, LOL.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Although I have a feeling, and of course it's just a feeling over the internet, so take that for what it's worth, that you are going to wind up with a dual battery high power device.

I am , the fire and ice = yuck. I have spearmint, cherry vanilla and extreme freeze yet to try.

no doubt. i already have the batteries and charger for it.....while I am in no hurry = I need to learn more, I am keeping my eye out for one now.
the Vaporesso Lux looks pretty cool. as does the innokin proton and Smoant naboo. but I may find one I like more than these, idk.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I also have the further feeling that once you find out what Vape neighborhood you're most comfortable living in, you're going to quit smoking altogether.

correct again. I am on my way to that now. though I don't think I will ever "totally" never have a cig again.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not everyone likes them, but a vape band can also protect your tank. I have one on almost all of mine, one that I've not found one that fits. It's just a small silicone ring that goes around it. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped mine, even on tile and concrete, and my tank was fine. Still scared me, LOL.

I have one, came with the kit. I had it on, but took it off. its back on now.

Buddha222

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

When I started vaping, the first flavors I tried were tobacco, I figured it would be easier that way, especially if the juice was supposed to taste similiar to the brands of smokes I liked. Some of them were ok, nothing spectacular. A few were downright nasty.

After I tried non-tobacco flavors, though, I found some I absolutely loved. I almost never get tobacco flavor anymore.
Though a Vapetasia sample pack I got recently did come with Royalty II, which is probably one of the better tobacco flavors I've tried.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a bottle of Royalty II and hated it at first. It tasted like inhaled air freshener mist or something. However that was one juice for me that really came to life with steeping. Now I love it. Kinda like a caramel hint to it. It also mixes well with some desert juices. Today I have it mixed with banana butt which is great. It also mixes well with killer custard vanilla and unicorn cakes. To me anyway.

Buddha222

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I bought a bottle of Royalty II and hated it at first. It tasted like inhaled air freshener mist or something. However that was one juice for me that really came to life with steeping. Now I love it. Kinda like a caramel hint to it. It also mixes well with some desert juices. Today I have it mixed with banana butt which is great. It also mixes well with killer custard vanilla and unicorn cakes. To me anyway.

Ya, Royalty says it's vanilla custard with sweet nuts and a mild tobacco. I might try mixing it like you say, since I have a bottle of Killer Kustard right here also.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope you like it. I like to see what mixtures I can come up with.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
as it is now, it looks like cigs are all but gone. but I did have 1 today.

I think I am going to try putting specific questions in the requisite rooms = I have a tank question in the tank room.
and I need a new extra one quick = I just knocked my mod over and half surprised it didn't break the glass.
I rarely use tanks because I break one glass, on average, every 5 days.
I’ve settled on sticking with RDAs at home and a squonk setup for out an about.
Problem for a newer vapor is that it requires being able to build.

But definitely... backups for your backups

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I try my cherry vanilla yesterday = meh ok. will not be buying more.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I rarely use tanks because I break one glass, on average, every 5 days.

I’ve settled on sticking with RDAs at home and a squonk setup for out an about.

Problem for a newer vapor is that it requires being able to build.

well how the hell you do that ? butterfingers ?

I am not exactly sure what RDAs and squanking is. but no doubt I will try them, someday.

I am a pretty handy guy. I was a HOT RODDER(still am at heart), until I ran out of money for it. my engine, they don't make many parts for it. so I made them myself. so I think twisting wire isn't a big deal, except for the math part :headbang:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
well how the hell you do that ? butterfingers ?

I am not exactly sure what RDAs and squanking is. but no doubt I will try them, someday.

I am a pretty handy guy. I was a HOT RODDER(still am at heart), until I ran out of money for it. my engine, they don't make many parts for it. so I made them myself. so I think twisting wire isn't a big deal, except for the math part :headbang:
Lol, butterfingers is a fairly accurate description.
I purposely buy rugged gear and keep the nicer stuff at home.

As for the building, I buy premade wire and coils. Essentially it can be don’t with no more than small clippers, cotton and a screwdriver, if you buy the coils prewrapped. If you want to wrap, you can buy the wire spoiled and a wrap jig, or use the same screwdriver.
It really is a lot easier than it sounds.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I used to drink with this guy. we would be standing/sitting around drinking. then all of a sudden his beer would fall out of his hand.
we would take bets on how long for his first drop. :giggle:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I used to drink with this guy. we would be standing/sitting around drinking. then all of a sudden his beer would fall out of his hand.
we would take bets on how long for his first drop. :giggle:
Sounds about right...
I’ve already walked into a bar, ordered 2 drinks, and threw one on the floor just to get it out of the way, before I started drinking.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors