Become a Patron!

How to take the next step?

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
If some of you have followed or read my previous posts about building, you know that I've just recently started, and have only used plain 24g kanthal and a spool of coilology multi strands fused Clapton.

Here's my situation: I want to try more complex builds, or actually do my own Clapton's, etc. Problem is that I have a limited workspace (the kitchen table) and two daughters that always want to help when I'm working on something (4yrs and 1.5). So buying a vice and drill like I've seen on so many videos just isn't feasible right now. I've seen the deadalus and another hand held looking device that supposedly helps but I can't remember where I found the hand held thing. It looks like a big c-clamp.

Anyway would I be better off just sticking with plain round wire and prebuilt wire spools, or even prebuilt coils? I've looked at fasttech and they have 50 packs of wrapped coils for just a few dollars. I'm still leaning towards the spools since I have the means to wrap them myself, and it's somewhat calming to me as long as the girls don't try to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a drill already? I don't use a vice when making my claptons. Just a drill. The handheld c clamp didn't look very good to me. It was very slow, and just looked like a pain to use. I've tried the swivels when making claptons, but found that just not hooking them to anything on the free end is just as easy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My daughter, 4 years old, always wants to help, too. I usually just let her help me push the trigger on the drill. She thinks she's doing something. Now anytime I sit down at my building area she asks "When are you gonna use that?" pointing at the drill.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My work space is my desk where I push the keyboard out of the way. Not like I need that much room even with the monster Dewalt I use.

upload_2017-8-27_19-23-42.jpeg

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
What I meant by not having much space and the girls wanting to help is I can barely keep tabs on what I'm working on, as well as my disassembled RTAs, the build kit and tools that I'm using, juice soaked paper towels, and stray wire from clipping the leads without having to worry about them getting a hold of something that will hurt them or losing parts. My older daughter likes to help with the cotton and holds a couple of the less sharp tools while I'm not using them, but my younger daughter has lightning fast hands and as soon as I get one thing from her she's grabbing something else. So yeah, I'm in the situation that the sooner I can throw some coils in, wick and juice the better. That's why I was considering prewrapped coils.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would go for pre wrapped coils as a last resort. If I didn't have the time to make my own clapton or fused clapton wire, I would just buy a spool of clapton wire. Wrapping coils is too easy for me to pay someone rise to do it. lol

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's sort of what I was thinking. Even though the pre wrapped coils are easier and faster, I want to be able to fine tune my builds.

If I can ask one final question for the time being, if you had to choose one spool of wire to use on a variety of mods, which would you use? I won't be trying tc mode anytime soon so I think SS and titanium aren't needed. The only mods I'll be using in the foreseeable future are my 80w in wattage mode only, my maxo zenith which does only voltage/power mode I guess you'd say, and a mech mod (pretty soon). What I'm hoping to accomplish, in order to keep things somewhat simpler, is getting a large-ish spool of kanthal (probably 24g) and another large-ish spool of some sort of Clapton wire. I liked the n80 spool of coilology multi strands fused Clapton that I used up, even though it was a pain to keep straight when pinching with my tweezers to get rid of hotspots. I'm just wondering if there's a better option. Fused Clapton, Allen, basic Clapton? I prefer clouds over flavor if it matters. Thanks again guys!

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's sort of what I was thinking. Even though the pre wrapped coils are easier and faster, I want to be able to fine tune my builds.

If I can ask one final question for the time being, if you had to choose one spool of wire to use on a variety of mods, which would you use? I won't be trying tc mode anytime soon so I think SS and titanium aren't needed. The only mods I'll be using in the foreseeable future are my 80w in wattage mode only, my maxo zenith which does only voltage/power mode I guess you'd say, and a mech mod (pretty soon). What I'm hoping to accomplish, in order to keep things somewhat simpler, is getting a large-ish spool of kanthal (probably 24g) and another large-ish spool of some sort of Clapton wire. I liked the n80 spool of coilology multi strands fused Clapton that I used up, even though it was a pain to keep straight when pinching with my tweezers to get rid of hotspots. I'm just wondering if there's a better option. Fused Clapton, Allen, basic Clapton? I prefer clouds over flavor if it matters. Thanks again guys!

I've never tried anything fancier than a fused clapton. I made a braided coil and a zipper coil, but they're not that fancy. I've just ordered my first stainless wire, a spool of 2x26/32 316L.

I decided to try stainless because it has a little bit lower resistance, so I can make a builds for my mechs a little easier hopefully. Lower ramp up time for my single battery regulated squonk I'm hoping. And it can be ran in wattage or TC.

Get you an app on your phone or use Steam Engine and play around with some wires, wraps, inside diameters and builds to find out what you think you should go with. Look at the heat flux to know what wattage it's going to be cool, warm or hot at. I use Vape Tool Pro on my phone. It works pretty well, has all the wires and most popular coil types, converters, Ohm's Law calculators, and a battery data base that I believe is based off Mooch's tests.

If I were to recommend a wire, it would be either 2x28/36 or 2x26/36 fused clapton in either kanthal or stainless, depending on how you want to build. I went with a 32 wrap only because they didnt have a 36 wrap when I ordered.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've been reading up again, it seems that SS may be the way to go. I reckon I'll just go with fused Clapton wire. From everything I've read, anything more complex gives no real benefit other than looking pretty.

As far as vape apps, I've got coil builder for iPhone. Not the pro because not long after I got this POS I knew I wanted to go back to Android asap.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been reading up again, it seems that SS may be the way to go. I reckon I'll just go with fused Clapton wire. From everything I've read, anything more complex gives no real benefit other than looking pretty.

As far as vape apps, I've got coil builder for iPhone. Not the pro because not long after I got this POS I knew I wanted to go back to Android asap.

I can't wait to try my stainless.

Yeah, I had an iPhone from when they came out up until the 5S. Then I finally tried a Samsung Note 4 and have never regretted it. It took a while to get used to after having all my iPhone apps in the same place on my phone for so many years, but I love the freedom that Android gives its users. Need to start saving for the Note 8.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm shooting for s8+. I really don't have much need for the stylus so...

VU Sponsors