How to Spot a Fake MNKE Battery

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Use the guide below when in doubt.

REALMNKE.jpg

BEWARE OF FUNNY MNKES BEING SOLD LOW TO CLEAR OUT BAD INVENTORIES!!!

When in doubt, ask for actual photos. Make sure they do not hide or cover the skinny UR logo. Yup - Those...

Apparently, there are 2 other runaways variants of MNKEs going around. One is printed via dot-matrix printing and the other is very shiny with a deeper shade of orange. I have not seen them and have not tested them so I will not attest to their authenticity. When in doubt, ask the seller for a photo of the test result.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
BE CAREFUL - There have been Confirmed Fakes on EBay. Personally I only Trust FatDaddyVapes for my MNKE & Sony Batteries!!!!

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

REPETE OFF3ND3R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It wasn't for MNKE's, but I've had good experiences with rtd vapor for batteries. My brother in-law and I both bought some AW's from them for our provari's

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Terrific info, thanks Chevy and TowerofVape!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice to know and thanks for the pictures. Like the AW's fake, it wasn't until I saw pixs that I really knew the difference...

vapire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is absolutely horrible. Shame on those people who are selling these as genuines. If they batteries aren't to spec someone could get hurt.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe some are genuine and the manufacturer is at fault /as far as capacity is concerned anyway

vapire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya some of those quoted numbers are verified with some tom foolery type tricks from a number of test charts I've read. It isn't only mnke who take part in that practice.
Maybe some are genuine and the manufacturer is at fault /as far as capacity is concerned anyway

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know. But the thing is, before everyone started getting clued up and informed about batteries, when a battery was bad it was accepted that some batteries turn out bad. That's just how it is. Now however if it's specs are found out to be overstated we're quick to assume the manufacturer has deliberately conned us. I'm not so sure this should be the case. Having said that, 26650 MNKEs are rubbish! On test their resistance average at above 115mR whereas my KeepPower 26650s are 37mR.

Toyotaslave

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd love to offer some insight but the only 26650 batteries available to me were Efest 3500mah. I'm not even sure if that is accurate. Judging by my cycle life and charging habits I say no. Maybe I'm just too into my new toy that I hit it more? Either way a big +1 to the OP and to Rich for the photo. Good info there.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Hobby - I've noticed that those MNKE 26650's are around 3000mAh, which is inaccurate. They are supposed to be 3500mAh. My opinion on those, is that your set could be fake. May I ask where you received them from?

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Sure. I bought them from this UK eBay shop. I must say that everything else I've bought from them is top notch. Their keeppower 26650s and NCR28650s come out higher than they're rated. Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261517002595?redirect=mobile

From what I see in the pics, the batteries are a Dark Orange the UR & MNKE Emblem are thin. The IMR section is spelled like this I MR. I've noticed the ones I bought are a lighter orange & the UR/MNKE Emblem are perfect sized and the IMR section is IMR. My personal opinion mine are real, here is where they were bought. -

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@VapinChevy yes you're right. I hadn't spotted the I MR. It's really useful to knows these things. Thanks. If this is the case then I'll only use them at high ohms as the amp limit can't be trusted. Their resistance is high anyway. Btw nothing is showing in your post after "here is where they were bought". It may be bc I'm on my iphone atm as it's bedtime :) I'll look at this post on a pc when I get up.

My question about all of this is whether all the "facts" being thrown around here have been verified with MNKE or is this just some guys in a basement acting like the expert. If this is factual than great but lets see the evidence as provided by the manufacture. If the info given here is patently false, then it would speak volumes to the integrity and knowledge of the moderators here.

Please provide the evidence from MNKE (not opinions and photos) to back up all said claims.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My question about all of this is whether all the "facts" being thrown around here have been verified with MNKE or is this just some guys in a basement acting like the expert. If this is factual than great but lets see the evidence as provided by the manufacture. If the info given here is patently false, then it would speak volumes to the integrity and knowledge of the moderators here.

Please provide the evidence from MNKE (not opinions and photos) to back up all said claims.

Please provide evidence that Sigelei makes the vamo v5 you have posted on ebay when sigelei does not make a vamo v5. They make a zmax which is not shown in the picture!

There isnt any way to prove ANYTHING we get from China is authentic unless there are verification codes produced and even they can be counterfeited.

Im not accusing anyone of making fakes and then posting information about it. I just asking for proof. In the case of the Vamo V5, if you want I can provide a copy of the Performa Invoice from Sigelei showing that is who I got them from and the coversation with the Sigelei rep saying that they were manufactured by the same, This is the best we can do with items from China.

Attached is the conversation with the Sigelei rep; just for you my friend.

upload_2014-7-10_20-30-18.png

Now, can we get back to the matter at hand!!! Believe me i know that things can be counterfeited as this happened with me when I started with EVODs. I got some real crap when they were guaranteed Kanger. Its just when someone claims this there should be evidence from a manufacturer source stating as such. Im not making an accusation here but I can see someone claiming something is counterfeit just to gain sales claiming to have the real deal.

These may indeed be fake, but lets just see the proof.

avibp

Member For 4 Years
I bought no less than 2 of my 6 MNKE 26650 batts from madvapes. 4 (2 from madvapes) of my 6 are identical. 2 are 1.mm shorter from Amazon.

gongchang photos (post 36 & 37 above) of the 18650 show a white ring around the positive (top) side of the battery nearer the post than the orange wrap.

gongchang photos (post 36 & 37 above) of the 26650 show a darker orange (redish?) ring around the positive (top) side of the battery nearer the post than the orange wrap.

None of my 26650 MNKE have this darker circle. They have the white ring like the MNKE 18650. Does this imply something about my madvapes 26650's or the gongchang photos? (hurumph)

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice one @VapinChevy

I found a pic showing the differences between the 2 kinds for more visualization

WLvFPHv.jpg

liked! thats my photo :)
i got duped my UltraMist/UltraVaping :(
truth be told, the cells really arent bad cells. i can barely if at all tell the difference between them and genuine MNKE. granted i dont push them that hard, but i still use them (after a period of non-use because i was paranoid).
vape on.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
another way to spot fake MNKEs is the lack of a white ring around the pos end and a protruding neg end. authentic mnkes have a white ring in the batt wrapper around the pos and a flat neg.

Are MadVapes MNKE real?

yes. that authentic MNKE from the comparison photo is from MadVapes. the fake is from Ultra.

Last edited:

avibp

Member For 4 Years
another way to spot fake MNKEs is the lack of a white ring around the pos end and a protruding neg end. authentic mnkes have a white ring in the batt wrapper around the pos and a flat neg.
<snip>yes. that authentic MNKE from the comparison photo is from MadVapes. the fake is from Ultra.
(just trying to keep myself straight here)
Your only talking about the 18650's. ( ? ) VapinChevy's post above (#36) has a link to MNKE 26650s with an orange/redish ring around the positive post. NONE of mine have that, even the ones from madvapes... and, although mistakes can happen, I really don't think MadVapes would sell me 2 fake MNKE 26650s so, I am still looking for more clarification for myself and specs/sources.

Dont buy Green sony batteries 2100 and 2600 mah 30 Amp from triangle vape there bogus.The 2100s you can see there not the genuine article .The 2600s look good but i get shocked when vaping with them. The current shocks me through the seam where my nemesis screws together in the middle. Selling sub standard batteries is a serious issue. Someone could get hurt ! I contacted triangle via email. I also forwarded them a copy of the article from sun vapes where l first read about this nightmare,its also in undergrounds forum. Still waiting for a response from triangle vape.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
(just trying to keep myself straight here)
Your only talking about the 18650's. ( ? ) VapinChevy's post above (#36) has a link to MNKE 26650s with an orange/redish ring around the positive post. NONE of mine have that, even the ones from madvapes... and, although mistakes can happen, I really don't think MadVapes would sell me 2 fake MNKE 26650s so, I am still looking for more clarification for myself and specs/sources.

yes you are correct. i am referring to the 18650s exclusively.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont buy Green sony batteries 2100 and 2600 mah 30 Amp from triangle vape there bogus.The 2100s you can see there not the genuine article .The 2600s look good but i get shocked when vaping with them. The current shocks me through the seam where my nemesis screws together in the middle. Selling sub standard batteries is a serious issue. Someone could get hurt ! I contacted triangle via email. I also forwarded them a copy of the article from sun vapes where l first read about this nightmare,its also in undergrounds forum. Still waiting for a response from triangle vape.

feeling the electricity through the threads doesnt appear to be a battery issue. someone with more knowledge than i please correct me if im wrong, but i attribute this phenomenon to less-than-perfect mod threads coupled with a heavy load. ive experienced it with my quarter-ohm build on my thin-walled thin-threaded origin clone, but never at any other time.

its a manifestation of the reality that your mods threading (tube, top cap, switch, etc) affects your overall performance, and also reflects the fact that using single tubes is more energy efficient than using mods with stackable tubes to accommodate different battery lengths.

that was my first thought , the mod because i didn't notice it through the copper hcigar nemesis. where i did through the stainless steel version. on the battery side,another observation i made was i wasn't getting shocked when using the 2600s from KP, the genuine article. Though using batteries believed to be clones i was getting shocked. I have to do more comparison tests with these batteries to be 100 %. The build i've been using is .7 ohm. Sun vapes has an article here on the forum about how shabby the construction is on these batts.i need to read it again forgot the details but after reading article i had to consider the batt as a possible source. Thanks for your reply its most interesting.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just wanted to add that on the MNKE 26650 I am not so sure the I MR with the space is a fake. I am having trouble finding places that do not have pics of that space frankly. Very reputable sites are selling and have pics of that same batt with the I MR. If that is a indication they are fake then it looks like 99% of people selling them are selling fakes because I can count on one hand sites with pics of those batts with IMR and it could be that its just an old pic.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer

SONY VTC4 2100mAh is a Re-Wrapped Efest 30A
SONY VTC5 2600mAh is a Re-Wrapped LG

VU Sponsors